The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does anyone else here feel like synthesizers quit being interesting after about 1979? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Does anyone else here feel like synthesizers quit being interesting after about 1979?

I'm not trying to troll despite the flame-worthy title.
I may just be too old for these forums.
I'm 55 years old. The synth music I loved was the proggers, Switched on Bach, Tomita and Bernie Worrell.
The stuff that started coming out in the 80's totally alienated me musically. I didn't even like the sound of the Prophet.

When I heard it on the radio most of the British stuff didn't register with me as synth music.
then when the DX7 took over I was done. I thought that thing sounded hideous and still do.

I was excited to see the remakes of the classic gear coming out. I've got a Karp and a Behringer Model-D.

It was frustrating reading reviews on here trying to decide if I wanted the Odyssey. People kept referring to Ultravox as old-school. I listened to it and thought that sounds nothing like what I want a synth to sound like. Maybe I don't need a Karp after all? Finally rooting around Youtube i found examples that sounded more like what I thought an Arp could do.

Guess i'm just wondering if anyone else feels like this and how you have felt about people using terms like old-school and classic and vintage-sound for something to your ears is very modern?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Nope.
It is not about the year, it is about the design.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Could it be the placebo effect of getting used to / becoming de-sensitised towards it?

Like for instance the film Alien will never be surpassed in the scare factor as we have become de-sensitised to the phenomenon.

I'll wager If a D-50 or Prophet X had appeared in the 70s I think the wow factor would have been beyond belief.

I wonder if you are really missing the genre of music style and sound rather than the instruments themselves? I'm 49 and love 70's music so I know kind of what you mean. To me listening to The Neutrons or JMJ etc is somewhere i prefer to be rather than listening to NIN or Deadmau5 but JMJ can sound just as good with modern gear.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Moan Zone Thread.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Have you tried the Erebus? I got the version 1 it sounds great & works fantastic with the behringer model d
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Huh, 80's isn't modern at all, not even a little. It's annoying when people use terms in a different way than you do, with it that feeling that you are no longer current or in tune with the times, but the world just keeps moving on and there's no stopping it. What counts as "old-school and classic and vintage" in particular will just grow ever bigger.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

No, you’re just a grumpy old man. Lol. Ultravox isn’t old school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberknobby View Post
I'm 55 years old. The synth music I loved was the proggers, Switched on Bach, Tomita and Bernie Worrell.
The stuff that started coming out in the 80's totally alienated me musically. I didn't even like the sound of the Prophet.

When I heard it on the radio most of the British stuff didn't register with me as synth music.
then when the DX7 took over I was done. I thought that thing sounded hideous and still do.

I was excited to see the remakes of the classic gear coming out. I've got a Karp and a Behringer Model-D.

It was frustrating reading reviews on here trying to decide if I wanted the Odyssey. People kept referring to Ultravox as old-school. I listened to it and thought that sounds nothing like what I want a synth to sound like. Maybe I don't need a Karp after all? Finally rooting around Youtube i found examples that sounded more like what I thought an Arp could do.

Guess i'm just wondering if anyone else feels like this and how you have felt about people using terms like old-school and classic and vintage-sound for something to your ears is very modern?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Maybe that’s when you stopped going drugs? Lol.

Quote:

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You also reminded me of this:

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

No it's a very common opinion. Just google "old guy talks about music" and you will find plenty of similar views
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Theres a whole bunch of stuff I can appreciate from every decade since synths first burst onto the scene. I love the variety. I do go through phases where I go off some stuff for a bit, but really I have soft spots (and enjoy finding the sweet spots) in many eras of music and the synths themselves. I dont have the money or time to explore vintage equipment though, but am happy enough with modern reissues/clones/tributes.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I’m a total analog head at heart but I think we are due some new form of synthesis whether digital or analog....the 80’s was quite exciting with the new wave of digital but nothing ever really went beyond it
Old 4 weeks ago
Synths never become jaded and that's why they continue to be manufactured. People love their synths and the sound they create and that's why they continue to buy them.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think synthesizers got considerably more interesting after 1979, had a bit of a detour to boring land with the rise of the romplers, then got interesting again. If nothing made after 1979 interests you at all, I don’t think that’s the fault of all the wonderful music and instruments that’s out there.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Not me. I love my V-Synth.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Nope
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

In the very early 80's -- I had a CASIO -- which had dual cassettes & short wave radio --all incorporated >>> CK 500 ..Then I went to the ROLAND Juno 106
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I am roughly the same age as you. I am a proud old fart, I am even a grandfather.

For me synths became increasingly interesting after 1979. The 1980s gave us polyphony! Also FM, and Samplers, followed by the D50 and the M1. The 1990s gave us romplers that could create any sound imaginable. I find those things far more interesting than the same handful of waveforms with subtractive synthesis.

Now all you young whippersnappers get off my lawn
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

1/ It's not the instrument but what you do with it.

2/ it's not just the sound generator but the effects you add on top too

A good multiFX processor or pedal can go a long way to create unique sounds. In fact, in a lot of recordings praised by the public today, the effect chain is 50% of the sound.

Take your Model-D and go get some shimmer reverb pedal. You're going to be tripping all day. So no, gear didn't get "boring". There is an incredible amount of combinations today + modular set up. And Behringer synths ARE compatible with the Eurorack format and specs, which makes them even better than some other expensive vintage gear for that purpose.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Total madness, similar age here as well.

Synths have carried on getting better as the years fly past, Luddite tendencies are currently fashionable, it won't last long.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'm over 50 and I'm on the opposite side. For me prog rock always seemed like the wrong music to use synthesizers. Also for me Tomita and similar music was always boring as hell.
I love synthesizers in Krafwerk's music (Man Machine, Computer World and Techno Pop) Tangerine Dream (79 to 85) and tons of modern music like Massive Attack, Biosphere, Tosca, Boards of Canada, DePhazz, Leftfield, Saafi Brothers, Thievery Corporation etc.

So no, it is not a question of age. It is how open you are to discover, learn and enjoy new things. I always thought it is so wrong when people say "they do not make anymore great music like in the good old days of The Beatles/ Pink floyd/ Mozart / Bach, etc.
I find more interest in modern synth techniques and creative use of synth in music than seventies music with mostly boring seventies sounds.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Nope.

I'm near that age and I have enjoyed every single minute of advances in music technology.

Analog, digital, sampling, laptop studios and VST's - It is all absolutely amazing and I feel privileged to live in an age when music tech is so cheap and accessible.

There is no real reason for complaints when you have the resurgence of sequential and all these cheap analogs being made to replace the ageing ebay stock. And thumbs up to Roland who despite refusing to do this have produced a great technology in ACB - one synth that can sound like 6 !

On top of this is a kind of artistic freedom that hasn't really existed before. You can produce 90's house, 80's synthwave, techno, disco, coldwave, berlin school whatever you want- as long as it is good quality and authentic people will have it without laughing at you for having the wrong haircut.

Yeah, sure, its not the same world as when this was all new and exciting but don't forget there is a Queen album with 'no synthesisers were used' in its notes so lets not pretend that electronic music has ever had full acceptance or really had its deserved 'golden age'.

You just get on the best you can, and get off anytime you think the bus has passed your stop -
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
No. I can honestly say I have never thought synths stopped getting interesting after 1979.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

OP, you seem to associate a certain sound character or type of music with certain synthesizer models. Synths stopped being interesting after 1979? I strongly disagree.

Synclavier, The River, Moog One, FS1r, Fizmo, Andromeda, modern modular formats, Moog Voyager, Moog Little Phatty, Waldorf Wave and myriads of other synths of all complexity levels - are they not interesting? Not even a little bit? Arturia Microbrute and Microfreak - boring?

You threw your arms in resignation when the DX7 came out? I still find the DX7 immensely interesting and beautiful sounding. That's why I keep it, and the TX7 on top of it.

The notes you play matter, the context in which you play the synth matters. Don't make it not interesting when you're in charge.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Maybe I don't need a Karp after all?
I had one for about a year and sang its praises, but ultimately got a little bored with that sound. It's a little rough and edgy...somewhat harder to make it sing like a Moog or Roland.

Quote:
Switched on Bach, Tomita
Moog Grandmother will get you there. Definitely check one out if you want those sounds.

I don't think it's an age thing, just a matter of taste. I like synths and music from all decades, but I can also point to examples of really crappy music from every decade too. A vintage Minimoog can sound horribly cheesy in the wrong hands.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

There's also a lot more of everything these days... Lots more ppl, music, companies, distribution systems... It's easy to think it's all crap, but a diamond is still a diamond if it's at the bottom of a turd pile, even tho that turd pile looks just like any regular old turd pile.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

So you checked out in 1979 but didn't already own an odyssey in 1979 and didn't like the sound of the odyssey in 1979...but liked synths pre-1979...

At any rate, I'm older than you...owned every 1970-1979 synth incarnation from every manufacturer (even the polymoog and avatar ...which one normally wouldn't admit).

I was burned out and felt we were all up against a synth wall by 1979.....nine years of basically the same ol same ol. My 2600 and all my moogs were a pia to deal with in the studio....constant overdubbing to escape the mono note limits were a pia....having to write patch setups with a pencil...pia.

Well guess what happened there during the months Arp was imploding?.....

Out of the blue, I got something in the mail from left field in late 1979..... Sequential circuits.

Long story shorter.... The implosion of Arp (with the Chroma almost going under as well)...at THE moment sequential rose up outta nowhere ....

Signalled to me.....

The golden age of synths....

Which is 1980-now.

I furiously bought everything...and was deliriously happy. I black-marketed in 2 dx7's the year before they were available in the us.....it was a breath of fresh air. I bought all the oberheim stuff, several linns, all the incoming roland synths, many yamahas, played for hours on synclaviers, almost bought a fairlight, bought emus and even mirages.

THESE are even now, still the good old days with always-improving hardware/software synths.

Arp's collapse was the definite moment the old world of 1979 and pre. .died in synth land...giving birth to the new generation.

Rip Arp...and yet....long live odyssey! Along with all the other fantastic synth tools we now have.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You are so wrong mate and totally insane WTF? Synths quit being interesting midway through 1978 - several months before the dawning of 1979 - Please try to keep track.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
the DX7 (...). I thought that thing sounded hideous and still do.
I agree with this

One of the most horrendous sounding (and looking!) synths ever
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
You also reminded me of this:

Didn't watch, just commenting about the visible statement in the thumbnail.
Wrong.
When i was 14, i would never listen to the music i am listening to now.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search