The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Teisco 110f - a good one? Price? Special Ef­fects Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Teisco 110f - a good one? Price?

There's this synth on sale in my country for $750 (meaning no import tax added)
Is it a good price?
My plan was to get MS-101 but on paper 110f seems to be destroying it feature wise and thus I want to know if tone wise it can warrant twice the price.
Also how reliable is it? Does it have at least basic MIDI (for sequencing)?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

A nice synth. Like an ARP Odyssey but different in a good way.

No midi.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

For that much I'd get one of the modern monos unless there's something special you like about the 110f. I have a 60f that's been in storage for years. It has a nice sound, but there's no telling how long these machines will last. Get yourself a Grandmother or something like that.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

The Teisco is duophonic, like the Odyssey. It's a good device but the Odyssey is superior when it comes to sound (purely IMHO) and architecture (more modulations). Consider the Odyssey reissue before buying it at more than $700, especially Behringer's. But it's great synth noneless. The price is fair if in very good shape.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Apparently the one in question is working except for pressure pads (mhhhm... hmmm...) and the guy dropped a price to $375. So considering buying it tomorrow.

What sells me on this one is the proper second ADSR envelope (vs. AR on Arp/reissue), "filter bank" (which is a built-in analog EQ) and apparently the Moog-style ladder filter. I love Moog-style ladder filters.

All sound demos on YouTube (even with YouTube quality) definitely show that it has the tone I like

Last edited by kraze; 1 week ago at 12:34 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraze View Post
Apparently the one in question is working except for pressure pads (mhhhm... hmmm...) and the guy dropped a price to $375. So considering buying it tomorrow.

What sells me on this one is the proper second ADSR envelope (vs. AR on Arp/reissue), "filter bank" (which is a built-in analog EQ) and apparently the Moog-style ladder filter. I love Moog-style ladder filters.

All sound demos on YouTube (even with YouTube quality) definitely show that it has the tone I like
Go for it. The pressure pads are fairly simple and would be an easy fix.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
Done.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Moog style filter, but without bass loss with resonance...
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno6 View Post
Moog style filter, but without bass loss with resonance...
Yeah, the filter on this thing sounds incredible. At one point I just pulled up the VCA gain slider, added LFO to VCF with resonance set up high and just listened to a very atmospheric drone. It definitely sounds better than Boog's filter (because of no volume loss and also something else) and any filters on other synths I have.

And the modulation options (especially VCO crossmod - which is not a common thing) as well as intuitive paraphonic mode make it a very unique addition to a studio.

Was going to order MS-101 at first but at this price point this is really a no-brainer deal as it can do a lot more and sounds great.

No MIDI is a bummer since it's hard to play and tweak at the same time but I guess Kenton has some solutions?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yeah, the filter on this thing sounds incredible. At one point I just pulled up the VCA gain slider, added LFO to VCF with resonance set up high and just listened to a very atmospheric drone. It definitely sounds better than Boog's filter (because of no volume loss and also something else) and any filters on other synths I have.

And the modulation options (especially VCO crossmod - which is not a common thing) as well as intuitive paraphonic mode make it a very unique addition to a studio.

Was going to order MS-101 at first but at this price point this is really a no-brainer deal as it can do a lot more and sounds great.

No MIDI is a bummer since it's hard to play and tweak at the same time but I guess Kenton has some solutions?
Yep, I use it with a Kenton converter. I even modded it to have cv in to filter, so I use the aux out of the Kenton to control the cutoff.
And yeah, it has one of the most powerful resonance I ever heard. It can destroy any speaker.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

These are pretty solid synths, especially when judged on their own merits and not rarity. I personally found the basic sound to be neither here nor there, sort of a cross between ARP and Roland, but using the ring mod plus the filter bank garnered some pretty interesting and nasty mid-range bass sounds that would be right at home in a ’90s DnB track.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search