The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Synths that allow patch per key Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Synths that allow patch per key

I updated the firmware on my BS2 and really love the "afx " mode that basically allows you to make a patch per key . Its ALOT of fun .. got me curious what other synths might have this sort of functionality .. i know that with my xl7 you can do some nifty similar things with "zones " .. any others ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I would say this is mainly only a feature in synths with workstation-like capabilities. The Blofeld and Access Virus synths might allow this on multi setups. Certainly any workstation would allow it. Although it's cool I wouldn't call it an in-demand feature.

I'd like to see the Novation Peak implement an AFX mode, which would sound awesome since it's polyphonic.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Most samplers to some degree
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

A4/Keys Multimap:
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Drum synths with "real" synth engines (oscs, filters, amps, envs, lfos etc.), sometimes part of a non drum specific synth : Roland JD-990 in the Rhythm Set Mode, Waldorf Rack Attack, Kawai XD-5, DSI Tempest + others (depending on whether the synth engine is "real" enough for the desired sounds).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Roland V-Synth except that, knowing which of the 16 zones of 512 zones to import, isn't exactly what I'd call an enhanced workflow. but it does work bar the need to use a generic FX slot per patch. so not quite as simple of ye old 16 channel worth independent volumes, program change, pitch bend etc. which is generally ignored and yet often proves superior. not that you'll often find any controller which even caters for multi channel setups. hence we are often left with arcane procedures which developers try to shoehorn back into being.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sampling workstations should let you, at the very least, keymap your samples as a drumkit (1 on each key). Then you can try putting different 'entirely-your-samples' drumkits on separate velocity layers of an instrument (or program in Korg-speak). Then maybe you can do a Combi or Multi with splits and layers of these different instruments made of velocity layered drumkits made of samples on each key. I've never tried this - it seems like it could get crazy quickly, and I don't know what the limits are. Someday when I've got lots of time, maybe I'll try to find out how many samples I could play in one Combi on one Kronos keyboard?

Last edited by PuggaMahone; 1 week ago at 06:33 AM.. Reason: I put apostrophes around the wrong things?!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Novation's Circuit Mono Station has "patch flip" where you can put a patch on each of the sequencer's steps... but... that's not really surprising seeing as it shares a lot of its guts with the BSII
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Kurzweil's Vast technology allowed this on the 'drum channel' since the beginning.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Micron/Miniak and many other synths that can do multis/combis/performances. Micron/Miniak can do at least 8 notes. Perhaps up to 26, with a limit of 8 simultaneous notes. Maybe more but I never investigated.

Fractional scaling on the DX7II and TX802 can be creatively abused to have a different sound every 3 keys. Very underrated, underused feature imo.

Sound Canvas synths such as the SK88 Pro can support 32 notes, but 16 of them won't go through effects, iirc.

V-Synth lets you do all 61 keys by combining Drum Patches and Rhythm Kits. Lots of fun.

V-Synth GT doesn't support Rhythm Kits, sadly. But iirc you can do 32 keys.

Last edited by robotunes; 1 week ago at 04:31 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The latest Model Samples update allows a patch per key.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Let’s of course not forget that any sampler can do this.
Old 1 week ago
Kja
Lives for gear
Dreadbox Medusa does this.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Most (all?) Elektron can patch flip - I love it for percussion, choke groups are great for establishing relationships between similiar tones.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja View Post
Dreadbox Medusa does this.
Yeah, I was just about to say that.
Released somewhat prematurely it got allot of flak in the beginning, but it has been shaping up to be a really interesting instrument.

With all the updates (one beta is live right now as a matter of fact) it both sounds and acts better.

For me it was always the totality of the thing that intrigued but it is getting more scores for its sound now, it is not really the Dreadbox 70ties sound - little less beefy - but it has so much more control and modulation possibilities that if you give it a workover it can sound really as its own synth, and in the end isn't that why we get allot of different synthesisers?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Audiobus with midiflow for ios could do this with any multi timbral device (up to timbrality level of course)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Long time MPC / other sampler user .. i was asking more specifically about synths that do this . Thx for your replys all !
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_the_peace View Post
Most (all?) Elektron can patch flip - I love it for percussion, choke groups are great for establishing relationships between similiar tones.
Can they? I know my Analog Rytm II can sample flip but didn’t know it could patch flip?

...outside of playing the patches manually with “immediate start”, that is.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

The nord lead 2, perhaps the first one as well has drum programs, which basically is having a patch per key.
It would be wonderful if the Prophet 6 had this feature, it would make a pretty decent 6 voice drum computer.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
Can they? I know my Analog Rytm II can sample flip but didn’t know it could patch flip?

...outside of playing the patches manually with “immediate start”, that is.
Lol as always proving its silly to assume that just because one elektron box can, another one can. was going by DT/A4 and assuming DN from what I've seen

Very surprised the AR can't, this feature is exactly why I like the A4 for percussion
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes View Post
Micron/Miniak and many other synths that can do multis/combis/performances. Micron/Miniak can do at least 8 notes. Perhaps up to 26, with a limit of 8 simultaneous notes. Maybe more but I never investigated.
The cool thing with the Micron is that not only can each key have a different program (instrument or drum), but it also can have its own pattern (arp, sequence, or live phrase) as well as its own beat.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
Most samplers to some degree
Yeah you could do something very similar with an EMU Ultra sampler using the “Links” feature.

Or any Multitimbral synth/sampler really.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJustice View Post
Drum synths with "real" synth engines (oscs, filters, amps, envs, lfos etc.): Roland JD-990 in the Rhythm Set Mode, Waldorf Rack Attack, Kawai XD-5, DSI Tempest + others (depending on whether the synth engine is "real" enough for the desired sounds).
Don't forget the nord lead 2 in drum mode
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Once you want that. Think drum mapping. Midi channel 10. Use the existing map of sounds standard for MIDI drums. then use channel 11 for other sounds. you make your own map for that.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Alesis Andromeda. Up to 16 keys/zones. Real analogue and polyphonic.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

KS rack allows 2 or 3 user kits.

hey even the old Roland D-110 can do it (Rhythm part can be loaded with
user and factory Tones)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno6 View Post
Alesis Andromeda. Up to 16 keys/zones. Real analogue and polyphonic.
Alesis Andromeda, Ion, Micron, and Fusion all supported assigning a program per key.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djones View Post
The nord lead 2, perhaps the first one as well has drum programs, which basically is having a patch per key.
The Lead 1, 2 and 2X all had the "percussion kits" feature.
Not a sound per key, but 8 different sounds assigned to 8 groups of 3-4 white keys across the keyboard (corresponding to the clusters of black keys which in this mode produce no sound, but are used for selecting and editing the drum sounds).

The feature was made so you can have multiple percussion sounds available simultaneously, so you could play or sequence a whole drum kit without switching programs. But the interesting thing is that each sound is fully programmable, so you can essentially have 8 different synths mapped across the keyboard.

Couple this with the 4 layers of multitimbrality, and you can have some pretty crazy combinations of 32 different sounds all active at the same time!
And people still complain the Lead was a very basic and limited VA...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
The kurzweil K2000 era, PC3 era and now Forte era all have 32 synth layers per program, with independent key ranges. This is not just for drum samples, but for any keymap / synthesis layer. In turn,16 programs can be combined into a setup. So you can go way beyond 61 keys. (K2000 ‘only’ has 32 layers on one channel at a time, and it needs a later OS).

A layer can consist of a keymap going through 1 major module (such as a 4 pole 24db Hipass resonant filter), or 4 little dsp modules (3 on K2000) or any combination in between - this is the variable architecture.

While thats enough if you want to treat samples, to have a bigger synth with antialiased oscillators and filters you need to chain layers, so you need a PC3 or later. This will eat into your 32 separate layers/keys, but layer chains can still be dedicated to a single key.

Each of those 32 layers can have its own layer effect (FX) - again this is on top of the Program effects you get when combined into setups.

In practice of course, all the above operates within 128 polyphony and 16 effects units of the PC3. The forthcoming PC4 will have 256 poly and 32 units of FX.

Malc

Last edited by Malc; 1 week ago at 06:57 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Haha, Malc, I think the Kurzweils win this thread!

Forget Winter. The singularity is coming.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search