The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Most musical filters
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

Most musical filters

I use a lot of filter movement in my tracks and was wondering what your favorite musical filters are.

I love the Moog ladder filter. Anything through it sounds great.

Recently got a DM6 which is reminiscent of a Juno filter but I find the usable range for any set resonance is very narrow.

I also have a Polivoks & Wasp filter in Euro which I find very musical and useful, both 12dB. I also like SEM filters and whatever’s in the Pro-2.

Cheers
Old 10th April 2019
I like external filters and especially HPF with tons of resonance, best I have are the Moog 500 series ladders linked in stereo.

The mf-101 and mf-103 is a pair I use together often.

I also use the API 565 but the lack of an envelope follower makes it limited in terms of movement though the notch filter can be abused somewhat for sound sculpting.

The Retroverb is something entirely different, kind of fun and quirky in its own way.
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

I think BPFs are underrated, and can make for mean bass. Yet 99% of analog synths omit them.

My fave acidic/roland-ish filter is SE 8106; I've yet to hear anything approach it

I get bored of Moog filters tbh though good for percussion in DFAM
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

SSM2040 is my fave
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear

That AJH Gemini sounds great to me.
Old 14th April 2019
Kja
Lives for gear
I really like both the filter in my prophet 6 and I like the Pittsburgh modular filter alot. Both are very musical.
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear

Ooof, that's a tough one. From the synths which I own, in no particular order:

Waldorf Microwave XTk 30's bandpass filter
Moog MiniMoog Model D filter
Alesis Andromeda's 12db SEM filter
STS Serge Variable Q VCF
Old 14th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
SSM2040 is my fave
The best one for me too
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear

SEM filter(s) all the way! Goes without saying about the LP, but the HP and BP filters are very special. Love love love it!
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear

old E-Mu Z-Plane filters rock and allow to do a lot of things.

modern implementation is also available as eurorack module.
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear

SEM and Korg35 are my favourites.
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaocrator View Post
old E-Mu Z-Plane filters rock and allow to do a lot of things.

modern implementation is also available as eurorack module.
I have no modular gear or experience, but I am very curious about filter modules. Hopefully just purchasing one or two filter modules won't lead me down a time and money rabbit hole. I've avoided that so far pretty well with what very little I've dabbled in the software world.

I've watched videos by DivKid and others on the Z-plane. This might be my first purchase of a dedicated modular piece.
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear
A couple noob questions regarding modular filters:

If you plug a sound directly into a modular filter, it will affect the whole sound in the same way as an external chorus or delay pedal -- I'm guessing this is what's meant by "paraphonic"? Meaning, it will be a global effect that won't change in response to keyboard velocity or pitch tracking. Or is there a way to have it respond in real time to keyboard playing, via velocity or foot pedal or aftertouch? How would you get the various envelope re-trigger responses like in a pre-wired polyphonic analog?
Old 14th April 2019
among gear i use, my favorites:

• ssm2040 in prophet 5
  • ssm2045 in mutator
  • moog ladder in og minimoog
  • sem svf ca3080 in og sem
  • diode ladder in system 100
  • ir3109 in jupiter 8 and sh101
  • cem3320 in wave2 and obxa

also love and would like to get:
  • Korg35 (probably via MS20m, to have the OTA ver as well)
  • Steiner-Parker diode multimode from Blue Latern. edgy, yet musical and organic
  • MUM M8 from ALM - Akai S-950 filter with full access to resonance and of course cv.
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear

Can you define the term ?
By my understanding of it, i've never encountered any unmusical filter on a synth...
Old 14th April 2019
Gear Nut
Sorry to be 'that guy', but since no one has mentioned any software favorites here are a few of my go-to's:

Goodhertz lo-hi : I pretty much use this on every track, even if leaving the cutoff wide open, it has nice saturation nevermind the awesome filters. Filter options range from extremely characterful to wholly transparent.

Goodhertz Tilt shift: used pretty much on every bus. very transparent and musical.

Arturia's new Minimoog and SEM filter: super cool having control of so many parameters, plus a handy sequencer! More of what I would consider an 'effect' though than just a normal, default FX chain everyday use kind of filter.

honorable mention: 2S Engineering Filter by 2nd Sense Audio
Old 14th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub dubs View Post
Goodhertz lo-hi : I pretty much use this on every track, even if leaving the cutoff wide open, it has nice saturation nevermind the awesome filters. Filter options range from extremely characterful to wholly transparent.

Goodhertz Tilt shift: used pretty much on every bus. very transparent and musical.

Arturia's new Minimoog and SEM filter: super cool having control of so many parameters, plus a handy sequencer! More of what I would consider an 'effect' though than just a normal, default FX chain everyday use kind of filter.

The ones in Modular FX; the two Doepfer ones, Korgasmatron and the new Buchla one are also great. Very CPU demanding though.
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear

I like Waldorf comb filters and Alesis formant filters - both digital.

Analog filters can tend to sound kind of samey to me in comparison.
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
Can you define the term ?
By my understanding of it, i've never encountered any unmusical filter on a synth...
Well it’s probably a stupid term but since I use a lot of filter automation in my music I feel that filters that have a narrow usable range are unmusical.

For example I love my Deepmind 6 but the filter is annoying. If I use more than just a tiny bit of resonance the sound gets scooped in all the wrong places and super fizzy.

It works fine for more static patches of course but that’s just not my sound.
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAXAU View Post
For example I love my Deepmind 6 but the filter is annoying. If I use more than just a tiny bit of resonance the sound gets scooped in all the wrong places and super fizzy.

It works fine for more static patches of course but that’s just not my sound.
I think i know what you mean.
Resonance that is wide when you look at it on a spectrum analyzer.
Would be nice to hear and maybe even see the spectrum of a nice and musical filter, compared to the DM6 filter.
Old 14th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAXAU View Post
Recently got a DM6 which is reminiscent of a Juno filter but I find the usable range for any set resonance is very narrow.
That’s why I got rid of my Deepmind 12. It seemed to go from “almost enough” to “uurgggh!” with no sweet spot.

Lately I’ve been exploring all the filter options in the Dominion 1. I’ve been especially getting into it’s notch filters.
Old 14th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 View Post
A couple noob questions regarding modular filters:

If you plug a sound directly into a modular filter, it will affect the whole sound in the same way as an external chorus or delay pedal -- I'm guessing this is what's meant by "paraphonic"? Meaning, it will be a global effect that won't change in response to keyboard velocity or pitch tracking. Or is there a way to have it respond in real time to keyboard playing, via velocity or foot pedal or aftertouch? How would you get the various envelope re-trigger responses like in a pre-wired polyphonic analog?
There are ways to make it behave exactly like a hardwired filter in a fixed architecture synth, if the filter has the proper CV controls, but your controller must send it the proper types of CV (control voltage) to make this happen. So, if you’re using a standard MIDI controller with no CV out, no, it would not work, unless you buy some MIDI to CV module. Some synths, like my Pro 2, allow for assigning any modulation source to one of its 4 CV outs.
Old 14th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub dubs View Post
Sorry to be 'that guy', but since no one has mentioned any software favorites here are a few of my go-to's:

Thanks for the head’s up on the Goodhertz stuff. That looks really interesting.
Old 14th April 2019
My top two "musical" filters, of those I own:

• OB-6's SEM-inspired state-variable filter.
• Moog Little/Slim Phatty's ladder-filter.
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
That’s why I got rid of my Deepmind 12. It seemed to go from “almost enough” to “uurgggh!” with no sweet spot.

Lately I’ve been exploring all the filter options in the Dominion 1. I’ve been especially getting into it’s notch filters.
I love the DM6 cause it’s so easy to operate, menu diving is intuitive and fast, modulation is great (same as Pro-2). But the filter makes me sad, but it can still be used for non filter action sounds or with little to no resonance going on.

I really wanted a OB-6 but it wasn’t in my budget!

The OB-6 also has some scooping going on and also fizziness but way less IMO.

The Luke Neptune preset demos has me mesmerized!
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
There are ways to make it behave exactly like a hardwired filter in a fixed architecture synth, if the filter has the proper CV controls, but your controller must send it the proper types of CV (control voltage) to make this happen. So, if you’re using a standard MIDI controller with no CV out, no, it would not work, unless you buy some MIDI to CV module. Some synths, like my Pro 2, allow for assigning any modulation source to one of its 4 CV outs.
Thanks for the response. It looks like I have more CV capability than I realized.
For controllers with CV, I have

An Arturia Keylab Mk2:
- CV, Gate, Mod1, Mod2 outputs

An SL MK3:
- Clock Out, CV1, Gate1, Mod1, CV2, Gate2, Mod2 outputs

A Minitaur:
- Pitch, Filter, Volume, and Gate inputs

The Dave Rossum Morpheus looks to have stereo IN and OUT, and these CVs:

- Freq CV, Morph CV, Trans CV
- Inc, Dec, Reset
- Full Level(?)

So apparently my studio is "modular-ready"... Hmm, Time to go hunting wabbits?
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by felis View Post
I like Waldorf comb filters and Alesis formant filters - both digital.

Analog filters can tend to sound kind of samey to me in comparison.
+1 for the Alesis filter emulations, a lot of variety

Come to think of it, there's audio IN, I should run the raw Rev2 through it
Old 15th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 View Post
Thanks for the response. It looks like I have more CV capability than I realized.
For controllers with CV, I have

An Arturia Keylab Mk2:
- CV, Gate, Mod1, Mod2 outputs

An SL MK3:
- Clock Out, CV1, Gate1, Mod1, CV2, Gate2, Mod2 outputs

A Minitaur:
- Pitch, Filter, Volume, and Gate inputs

The Dave Rossum Morpheus looks to have stereo IN and OUT, and these CVs:

- Freq CV, Morph CV, Trans CV
- Inc, Dec, Reset
- Full Level(?)

So apparently my studio is "modular-ready"... Hmm, Time to go hunting wabbits?
I’d say so, but be careful. They always seem to end up dropping an anvil on you, just when you think they’re beaten.

I have to admit that so far, my exploration into CV has not been very fruitful. First I had a System 1m and a Mother 32, but there was something about the scaling that didn’t quite work right all the time. I got a second 32, and had good times with the first, but I felt like nothing I couldn’t really do as well with a fixed architecture synth. The digital 1m’s osc going through the Moog filter was nice, though. Then I tried marrying my Pro 2 to a Microvolt 3900... some great stuff, but I got tired of all the repatching. Then I tried the Pro 2 into the Dominion 1, and I had limited success. Maybe there’s a scaling issue there? I’ll try giving it another go tomorrow, now that I’ve got a bit of a break at work.
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
among gear i use, my favorites:

• ssm2040 in prophet 5
  • ssm2045 in mutator
  • moog ladder in og minimoog
  • sem svf ca3080 in og sem
  • diode ladder in system 100
  • ir3109 in jupiter 8 and sh101
  • cem3320 in wave2 and obxa
SSI 2144
- I've only heard demos of the standalone filter at a NAMM show, and of course in the Prophet X. Still, it sounds very very good to me.

Moog Ladder
- Boog D is just one big sweet spot. Minitaur damn good too.

SVF
- The SVF in the One is great, lots of variety and sweet spots. Tweaking envelope amount, serial/parallel routing, spacing between the dual bands, keytracking, various resonance responses really make it a chameleon. I like it more than the One ladder.

The only Roland filters I have are the emulations in the Integra. Necessary for certain sounds, but certainly not analog, so not great, but sufficient.

I initially thought the CEM3396's in the Matrix1000 would sound about the same as the DSI Prophet Rev2, but they are more "musical" than I expected. A little beefier, a smoother envelope response, less brassy.

Quote:
also love and would like to get:
  • Korg35 (probably via MS20m, to have the OTA ver as well)
  • Steiner-Parker diode multimode from Blue Latern. edgy, yet musical and organic
  • MUM M8 from ALM - Akai S-950 filter with full access to resonance and of course cv.
The MS-20 filter emulation in the Kronos is definitely fun, but I can tell that it still lacks the punch and presence of the real deal. Adding multiband compression helps bridge the gap.

Honorable mentions:

The Novation X-station digital filters are more liquidy smooth, good for certain sounds. The ladder/SVF pair in the A6 have their moments. The Micron's many emulations sound really good to me. I probably need to get out more.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search