The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Most musical filters
Old 1 week ago
ValhallaDSP

Moog. I like most Moog filters. As far as favorites, I'd say the Grandmother, but honestly I think the CP3 contributes more to the sound of that synth (the Grandmother filter sounds awesome, but most of the grit comes from the mixer). So, let's say Rogue and Sirin. Just to pick something. OK, the Opus-3 filter is great as well. DON'T MAKE ME CHOOSE!

MS-20. Both the Korg-35 and LM13700 versions.

SH-101. So perfect.

Karp Odyssey, MkI filter. Great resonance, doesn't lose bass frequencies when resonance is turned up.

All the Andy Simper (Cytomic) filters that got put into Ableton Live starting at version 9.5. I've been playing with Sampler a lot lately, and there are SO MANY GOOD FILTERS in there. Want a polyphonic Moog? Use the PRD model. Want an SEM filter with crossfading between the LP and HP outputs? Use the OSR model, and select the Morph mode. Screeching MS-20 filters? Use the MS2 model.
Old 1 week ago
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy View Post
Same chip, completely different implementation and character. People don't realize how much feedback resonance handling changes the filter, which can go from sublime (IR3109 on a Jupiter-8 or Juno-6) to pretty meh (IR3109 on a Jupiter-6 or JX-3P) and fundamentally change the character of the synth.
So true.

I always thought the SH-101's filter was amazing, while the Juno-60 was kinda "meh" in comparison. Both use the IR3109. The SH-101 has diode clipping of the resonance path, that limits the resonance volume, and adds tons of character. The Juno-60, as far as I can tell, doesn't have any intentional clipping of the resonance path.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I think the Toptop Forbidden Planet sounds really great.
It's a steiner-parker filter but it sounds SO much better than the one in the Microbrute I used to own.
https://vimeo.com/284965492
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

The MFB Nanozwerg Pro has a phenomenally great filter with LP, BP, HP and notch.

Also love my cheap and simple Doepfer A-106-5 SEM filter. So good.
Old 1 week ago
M32
Lives for gear

Instruo's Io47 filter is based on the arp 2600, love it! super punchy, has an input drive and limiter circuit to really hit it hard. Ladder filters are creamy and liquidy in the resonance, this one growls and rips with a more dry character that's amazing for bass. Not to mention it's multimode, and has a frequency offset for the notch output.

Makenoise Qpas is amazing with the 4 peak-movement, so versatile and vocal, does sweet formant-like morphing. Makes great percussive sounds too
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
among gear i use, my favorites:

• ssm2040 in prophet 5
  • ssm2045 in mutator
  • moog ladder in og minimoog
  • sem svf ca3080 in og sem
  • diode ladder in system 100
  • ir3109 in jupiter 8 and sh101
  • cem3320 in wave2 and obxa
also love and would like to get:
  • Korg35 (probably via MS20m, to have the OTA ver as well)
  • Steiner-Parker diode multimode from Blue Latern. edgy, yet musical and organic
  • MUM M8 from ALM - Akai S-950 filter with full access to resonance and of course cv.
Thank you!!!!

BOUGHT
Malekko Heavy Industry Dual Borg
Bubblesound SEM20 Multimode Filter
Manhattan Analog Discrete SVVCF
Vintage Synth Lab VCF74 MK2

What do you guys recommend next please?
STS Serge Variable Q VCF
AJH Gemini
Toptop Forbidden Planet
Morpheus
Stereo Morphing Z-Plane Filter
Old 6 days ago
Cytomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy View Post
Same chip, completely different implementation and character. People don't realize how much feedback resonance handling changes the filter, which can go from sublime (IR3109 on a Jupiter-8 or Juno-6) to pretty meh (IR3109 on a Jupiter-6 or JX-3P) and fundamentally change the character of the synth.
The IR3109 doesn't really have a special character to it, it's a pretty standard OTA, but it does have a built in exponential converter, and PMOS buffers.

The Jupiter-8 is a cascade based filter and the Jupiter-6 is an SVF, and they definitely sound very different. They could have given the JP6 a lot more character but they made it pretty clean, I think to reproduce a more SEM like sound.

If you want to consider the difference in sound that the resonance path alone can make then I suggest comparing an SH series and the Juno series filters, they are both cascade filters. The SH series has a resistor divider to change the resonance gain, and then this goes through a diode clipper. The Juno series use an OTA in the feedback, and has gain compensation using the OTA. The gain compensation actually subtracts the input from the feedback signal, and so makes a bandpass filter in the resonance path, which then gets clipped by a non-linearity and then the gain is applied. So basically you have:

SH-
filter output -> resonance gain -> diode shaper -> -filter input

Juno-
filter output - filter input -> OTA shaper -> resonance gain -> -filter input

There is more to it that that, since the SH also has gain compensation and both filters have a non-linear amp after them which are different.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Off topic, but its pretty damned cool to have Sean from Valhalla and Andy from Cytomic in the same thread. You guys both make amazing stuff.
Old 6 days ago
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowkast View Post
Off topic, but its pretty damned cool to have Sean from Valhalla and Andy from Cytomic in the same thread. You guys both make amazing stuff.
Thanks for the kind words!

Honestly, I know SO LITTLE about filters compared to Andy. Any time he posts, I'm reading closely. Very interesting to hear his perspective on the SH versus Juno filters. I can tell from the schematic that the SH filters have diode clipping in the feedback path, but Andy's description makes it clear that there is a lot more going on there.

And I'll repeat what I said: I LOVE Andy's filters in Live! I recorded 4 VCOs through a CP3 mixer, made a loop of this, and used it in Live's Sampler to make a polysynth. I'd put the results up against any polysynth I have ever heard, thanks to Andy's filters!

Full disclosure: I'm using one of Andy's SVF designs in a few upcoming ValhallaDelay modes. The filters aren't being used for resonant filters, but rather for higher order anti-aliasing filters that change frequency depending on the settings. Having an 8th order Butterworth that can sweep from 20 kHz to 3 kHz is really cool - again, thanks to Andy's filter designs!
Old 5 days ago
Cytomic

Hey Sean! I know SO LITTLE about reverbs! Thanks for the kudos, and it’s straight back at you for your fantastic reverbs and other effects which I use all the time.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Without doubt the
Chroma filters...configurable, modulatble, controlable
raucous to sublime
specs
digitally controlled (1 or 2 per voice) * 8 x 24dB/oct low-, high-, band-pass or notch. * 16 x 12dB/oct low- or high-pass.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

did i mention that i love the deadbox epsilon?
Old 1 day ago
steiner clones..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post
I think the Toptop Forbidden Planet sounds really great.
It's a steiner-parker filter but it sounds SO much better than the one in the Microbrute I used to own..

that sounds interesting. i've been following the Steiner stuff in euro for a while, to choose one as there are tons for years. this one sounds very squaky clean and somehow controlled when cranked which is useful. also it seems pretty noiseless which is a rare feat for this design. on the other end of spectrum there's Blue Lantern, which is much more distorted and dirty when cranked, but i also like the warmth in the mids. probably my next filter:

there is also Elby Designs Synthacon based on CGS board. edgy but full. Bubblesound makes a small 4hp Diod but i didnt like it.

and finally Manhattan Audio clone of Steiner Synthasystem. it has a clone of moog cp3 transistor mixer built in for some additional pre-filter saturation and drive:

my impression is none of them have the exact syrupyness in the mid and top of the original in more conservative settings, and are more preoccupied with the scream, but are still great tools to widen the versatility and palette of your euro system. and yeah, they all utterly destroy the MicroBrute version - had one and sweet spot is just so damn narrow. thats when i started checking out euro..
Old 1 day ago
I have a lot of GAS for this right now since I can never have enough external filters and its simply stunning.

2000 euros.

http://euterpesynth.com/products/ver...seconda-serie/
Old 1 day ago
Gear Guru

I love anything Steiner Parker based. I've got an EMW one courrently, but I had the MiniBrute for a couple years and loved it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search