The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What Happened to the Moog Subharmonicon?
Old 3rd April 2019
Gear Nut

What Happened to the Moog Subharmonicon?

I was totally expecting Moog to announce a release date for the Subharmonicon this NAMM to finish out the M32/DFAM trifecta.

Instead they kind of punted this year with the limited edition Sirin (no hate, I still plan to buy one).

Any rumors about the Subharmonicon? Or is this something that will never see general production?
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketsofcake View Post
this something that will never see general production
You answered yourself with the last sentence
Old 3rd April 2019
Moog never indicated the Subharmonicon would become a full-fledged product, just like the BFAM. Personally, I'd rather see them port R.A. Moog modules to Eurorack format or just focus on discrete Eurorack modules in general as opposed to these semi-modular systems they've been making.
Old 3rd April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afturmath View Post
Moog never indicated the Subharmonicon would become a full-fledged product, just like the BFAM. Personally, I'd rather see them port R.A. Moog modules to Eurorack format or just focus on discrete Eurorack modules in general as opposed to these semi-modular systems they've been making.
I agree that it's a little surprising they haven't jumped into Eurorack yet. It seems like a logical step. I have mixed feelings about the semi-modular stuff. I had a Mother32 for awhile but moved it along. It was a great sounding synth but functionally a little uninspiring when operating alone.

A shame because the Subharmonicon seemed like a theoretically fascinating unit. Maybe it would have been too expensive to produce in the priceline of the DFAM/M32.
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Moog makes really unadventurous equipment at a high price. All of their historic circuits have been cloned part by part by other companies. Eurorack is all about doing a historic circuit as cheap as can be for a great build quality/sound, or entirely new ideas no one else has done. Moog would not have much success I feel.
Old 4th April 2019
Quote:
I agree that it's a little surprising they haven't jumped into Eurorack yet. It seems like a logical step. I have mixed feelings about the semi-modular stuff. I had a Mother32 for awhile but moved it along. It was a great sounding synth but functionally a little uninspiring when operating alone.

A shame because the Subharmonicon seemed like a theoretically fascinating unit. Maybe it would have been too expensive to produce in the priceline of the DFAM/M32.
I asked the Moog rep at ADE 2018 about future Eurorack products, and he told me, "stay tuned. After the release bugs in the One get worked out and the hype dies down, [Eurorack is] going to be a big focus."

I was hoping to see discrete Eurorack modules as the Moogfest Engineer Pass build this year, but the Specravox looks interesting. I initially thought it would suffer the same fate as the Subharmonicon and never make it to production due to cost, but I think the overall synth market might have more interest in an analog vocoder than a boutique subharmonic synth. I have to get my hands on it and give it some time, but so far I think I'd be more interested in trading mine for a Subharmonicon.
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

The Subharmonicon is a boring design. The unique features that set it apart are mostly boring features that I don't find useful (at least, not on such a simple synth).
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Guru

I'd rather see them mass produce that vocoder. That's a hole in the Eurorack field that should be filled. As much as I laugh at Moog's antics, I would probably buy that vocoder in an instant.
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbow View Post
Moog makes really unadventurous equipment at a high price. All of their historic circuits have been cloned part by part by other companies. Eurorack is all about doing a historic circuit as cheap as can be for a great build quality/sound, or entirely new ideas no one else has done. Moog would not have much success I feel.
I dunno, I found the DFAM to be a delightfully refreshing take on percussive synthesis that changed how I approach synthesized drums -- and I was a bit of a DFAM critic when it was first shown (mostly because of it's advertising/social media campaign).

As for Moog competing in Eurorack I wouldn't discount the effect of a name brand throwing their hat in the ring. People nearly crapped their pants when Roland started doing modular -- via Malekko, but having the Roland name attached to it made all the difference.

I think there's enough people interested in the Subharmonicon to make at least a limited run (and no, I'm not falsely overestimating the market based on comments on just this forum).

Moog doesn't agree with my estimate and that's ok. It leaves things open for other manufacturers (*cough* MakeNoise *cough*) to pick up that slack. Who would have thunk Korg would drop something as left field (left coast?) as the Volca Modular, for example? I think we may be pleasantly surprised come next year.
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
I dunno, I found the DFAM to be a delightfully refreshing take on percussive synthesis that changed how I approach synthesized drums -- and I was a bit of a DFAM critic when it was first shown (mostly because of it's advertising/social media campaign).

As for Moog competing in Eurorack I wouldn't discount the effect of a name brand throwing their hat in the ring. People nearly crapped their pants when Roland started doing modular -- via Malekko, but having the Roland name attached to it made all the difference.

I think there's enough people interested in the Subharmonicon to make at least a limited run (and no, I'm not falsely overestimating the market based on comments on just this forum).

Moog doesn't agree with my estimate and that's ok. It leaves things open for other manufacturers (*cough* MakeNoise *cough*) to pick up that slack. Who would have thunk Korg would drop something as left field (left coast?) as the Volca Modular, for example? I think we may be pleasantly surprised come next year.

I'd definitely buy a Subharmonicon if it wasn't prohibitively expensive. Even though part of me wonders if it might prove to be one of those units that's more fun to think about than actually employ.

The DFAM is a good example of how Moog hate tends to be selective. When they do something creative, it's ignored to perpetuate the "not another mono synth" narrative. Regardless of how you feel about their pricing and market politics, they're still kind of a big brand boutiquer, and their overall product line is pretty limited when compared to the companies they're often pitted against.

As far as Moog entering the world of Eurorack, I hope they do just so people here can spend the next five years complaining how overpriced and overhyped their units are.
Old 4th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Even though part of me wonders if it might prove to be one of those units that's more fun to think about than actually employ.
This right here. I attended and built the Sub last year, and while it's a wholly unique and individual instrument, I don't think it's commercially viable in the way the Mother and DFAM are. The design is elegant and the historical nods it makes are great, but it doesn't have the same musical immediacy and accessibility that Moog's other semi-modulars do. While I think a lot of people here would love tweaking on it, my hunch is that a lot of other folks might get frustrated or discouraged by it not fitting into a more traditional mold.
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwjacobs View Post
This right here. I attended and built the Sub last year, and while it's a wholly unique and individual instrument, I don't think it's commercially viable in the way the Mother and DFAM are. The design is elegant and the historical nods it makes are great, but it doesn't have the same musical immediacy and accessibility that Moog's other semi-modulars do. While I think a lot of people here would love tweaking on it, my hunch is that a lot of other folks might get frustrated or discouraged by it not fitting into a more traditional mold.
That's super cool that you actually got to build one. I have no hands-on experience, but the few in-depth videos I've watched lead me to think that the Subharmonicon might be more inspiring in theory than practice.

I kind of felt the same way about the MF 105 MuRF. It's a remarkably creative unit, and the smorgasbord of available patterns is intriguing, yet I've never managed to employ it as anything more than a tweakable oddity.
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwjacobs View Post
I agree the theory is alluring and that's what keeping me interested in such a beast. It would be interesting to hear (or hear about) what kinds of things you've done with it and how it played with other things.

I wonder if some or most of the Subharmonicon can be replicated in existing Eurorack? Certainly a Maths or two. You'd probably have to design a custom sequencer or three to do the clock divisions and XOR style step exclusions. Food for thought...
Old 4 weeks ago
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledoodler View Post
Looks like it might be time for this https://www.gearnews.com/is-moog-abo...subharmonicon/
Hopefully the vocoder is coming, too. That really did look like a neat module, and the demo I heard sounded really good.

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I’m blown away that people think moog make boring unoriginal gear. Really?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundTound View Post
I’m blown away that people think moog make boring unoriginal gear. Really?
Totally. They've been copying themselves for years!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I read a local newspaper article once that said that part of the limits Moog deals with is factory floor space. In order to make something new they have to drop something else. If they put these into production I'll probably get one. Between being able to tune six tones at once and the crazy sequencer it seems like a lot of fun.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Hopefully the vocoder is coming, too. That really did look like a neat module, and the demo I heard sounded really good.

Looks familiar! The Spectravox photo on ModularGrid is mine. I want to put out some demo/exploration videos on YouTube, but I've been too busy working through other projects over the last year.
Old 3 weeks ago
Audio Solutions in France just published this.

Moog Subharmonicon. €819. May 12th.

Full size images

Note to mods: It might be worth consolidating this thread with the Subharmonicon Leak Thread and possibly even merge both into the Original Subharmonicon Thread.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afturmath View Post
Audio Solutions in France just published this.

Moog Subharmonicon. €819. May 12th.

Full size images

Note to mods: It might be worth consolidating this thread with the Subharmonicon Leak Thread and possibly even merge both into the Original Subharmonicon Thread.
Article indisponible pour le moment!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Planet View Post
Article indisponible pour le moment!
I included a screenshot of the page because I suspected they might remove it. The screenshot is Google Translated from French to English.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I wish they'd take my money already!

LOL.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search