The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kurzweil PC4 Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 2nd April 2019
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Look out kronos
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

If it wasn't April Fools Day I'd be pretty excited (depending on price).
Sounds like my dream board so far.

As it is though, I'm going to have to take a 'wait and see' card.

Last edited by felis; 6th April 2019 at 12:12 AM..
Old 2nd April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by felis View Post
If it wasn't April Fools Day I'd be pretty excited (depending on price).
Sounds like my dream board so far.

As it is though, I'm going to have to take a 'wait and see' card.
It's real. It's meant to be a mid-priced 'board -- it has a smaller sample set than the Forte. It does gain more physical controls (which is a big plus for me) and a ribbon input. It's all-plastic as well, as opposed to the Forte's metal construction. It has two 1/4" audio input jacks and a 1/8" aux stereo input jack. Not sure what the 1/4" jacks will do, maybe more inputs for external gear? The action is also similar to the SP-series. User sample ram/rom is 2 GB, as opposed to 3 and some change on the Forte. It has 256 notes of polyphony, shared with the KB3 "voices" (if you're playing organ sounds). The Forte has a somewhat different scheme, with 128 voices dedicated to VAST and 128 dedicated to KB3.

The end result is this will be a cool 'board, with a street price lower than the Forte. My hope is the 1/4" inputs will allow for sampling at some point.
Old 2nd April 2019
Oh, and, photo:
Attached Thumbnails
Kurzweil PC4-img_0248.png  
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

The specs say: "2 GB of factory sample content + 2 GB of user-loadable space"

User-loadable space sounds like sampling to me.
It'd be OK to sample with a computer and be able to load it in and run it through VAST too though.

I'm also wondering if one of the current editors will work with it too.
Old 2nd April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by felis View Post
The specs say: "2 GB of factory sample content + 2 GB of user-loadable space"

User-loadable space sounds like sampling to me.
It'd be OK to sample with a computer and be able to load it in and run it through VAST too though.

I'm also wondering if one of the current editors will work with it too.
Yes, and the Forte does that too. I mean sampling on-board, through the 1/4" jacks rather than loading samples from the computer. I have a Forte and I'm fine with recording samples elsewhere and then importing them, which is what I do now.

I suspect that this will be running an O.S. very similar to the Forte O.S. 4.0 that is planned for release soon (many of the same features, such as FM, are in that OS release), so it will _possibly_ be compatible with Forte-series editors.
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

I can hear the resale value of my PC3k plummeting.
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by poserp View Post
Yes, and the Forte does that too. I mean sampling on-board, through the 1/4" jacks rather than loading samples from the computer. I have a Forte and I'm fine with recording samples elsewhere and then importing them, which is what I do now.
So - the inputs on your Forte are used to process external signals, but not to record them?
I'd be fine with that too. A little convoluted to run stuff thru the keyboard, then into a computer to sample it, and then load it back into the keyboard again.
But I've put up with worse.

EDIT: never mind - I just looked at the Forte specs:
"Audio Inputs: One stereo 1/8" back-panel input (with FX) for connecting your favorite MP3 player or other audio source for accompaniment playback "

I'm also curious about the fx unit situation with the PC4.
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

I would say it will be smaller, lighter weight, and less power than the Forte. I wonder what the action will be like? Will it come in 61keys?
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Please kurzweil a PC461!
Old 2nd April 2019
Gear Addict

yaaaaaas
Old 2nd April 2019
Gear Addict

Waiting to see videos showing the user interface first

The PC3 is a mess, and totally user UNFRIENDLY

It's weird that, on paper, this seem to be a downgrade compared with Forte. Also, the PC3 looked better, more elegant and with better finish than this 4

Would like to see a 76, semi-weighted keys
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Don't expect huge changes in the UI. See how Forte's UI looks, it's likely PC4 is going to be much the same. VAST has a lot of historical baggage, the UI rework on it would be a humongous project, and it doesn't seem like Hyundai is allowing Kurzweil to do that. So it's all pretty much going to be as on PC3, minus some pages being merged together (LFO and ASR are on the same page now, for example).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponkine View Post
It's weird that, on paper, this seem to be a downgrade compared with Forte. Also, the PC3 looked better, more elegant and with better finish than this 4
It's not weird considering they're going for mid-tier pricing for this one, it's not supposed to be the flagship - Forte is the flagship now. That's also why PC4 has plastic casing (ewww), and same action as SP6 (which IIRC is NOT a Fatar).
Old 2nd April 2019
Gear Addict

Yes, but how come the "flagship" Forte model did not have smooth, seamless sounds transitions and PC3 had?

That was a MAJOR fault and a true deal-breaker to me

Hopefully the PC4 at least will have it

If the UI is pretty the same as PC3, I'll pass
Old 2nd April 2019
Gear Addict

It would be nice if they could implement simple ADSRs in the filter DSP blocks so you could create really snappy synth sounds.
As it is now I think the envelopes are a bit limiting, using the slow update rate of the modulation bus.
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponkine View Post
Yes, but how come the "flagship" Forte model did not have smooth, seamless sounds transitions and PC3 had?
Sorry but no, there were lots of cases where PC3 sound transitions were NOT smooth. Forte is a lot better in that since it has double the FX units than PC3. Forte handles smooth sound transitions better than PC3 ever did, from my experience. Also, you are maybe remembering all this from an early Forte OS, or something. It had a lot of updates since release.
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

I was getting ready to pull the plug on a Forte 88 key model .

It had dropped down to 4 k from about 6k.

Now i can see why.

The only thing I dont like about the PC 4 is the upper location of the mod wheel and pitch bender.

It seems to have the color display and arps, sequencer, riifs of the higher end stuff.

The changes around the back are the 1/4 inch outputs 2 pairs and inputs, ribbon connector.

Going from 128 to 256 voice polyphony is another bonus as is the Operator FM.

Seems more like a competitor to the Montage.

Price check please.!!!!!

Cheers
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
The only thing I dont like about the PC 4 is the upper location of the mod wheel and pitch bender.
This is actually great IMHO. Saves on the width of the board. In practice it works very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
Going from 128 to 256 voice polyphony is another bonus as is the Operator FM.
Forte is also getting FM in OS 4.0. Also note that in PC4, KB3 will be using voices from those 256 poly, whereas on Forte it doesn't take any poly from the main 128 voices engine.
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Also note that in PC4, KB3 will be using voices from those 256 poly, whereas on Forte it doesn't take any poly from the main 128 voices engine.
Seeing as I don't really use KB3, I'll take the double poly.

My burning question is how many effect units are there?
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

I'd say the same as in Forte. Would be a logical improvement from PC3 to go from 16 to 32 units.
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear
I was just about to drop $$$ for a MODX7. It was down to that or a Forte 7.

If this PC4 comes in the same form factor as a Forte, meaning a 44" wide 76 key weighted Fatar TP40/L with aftertouch, then I may have found my gig piano board.
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Dave Weiser mentioned it has the same action as SP6, which is not touted as a Fatar, so...
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear
I guess the microphonic noise issue doomed the NuTube, but it would sure be swell if a new workstation included some kind of tech for warmth and grit.

EDIT: I guess I shouldn't get too excited:

Kurzweil hints on a new model on their FB page, probably PC4
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Well I just bought the SP6. As a matter of fact it should be here today. The SP should be enough KURZ for my needs. I just bought a 61 key Montage as well a few weeks back and still trying to get it up to par.

As cool as the PC4 looks, I am sure it will be at least $1000 more than the SP6. And yes I updated from my SP5 to get the shorter design.

FYI. Sweetwater had a good bundle by throwing a case and stand for no extra price.
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

I just read on another forum that the keyboard is made by Medeli: Keyboards | medeli

They make a lot of low end stuff, so I'm not expecting greatness there.

I'm wondering about the inclusion of the sequencer with that small display.
Of course, it shouldn't be too difficult to export it to a DAW,
but trying to work with it on that display would be a bit of a nightmare.

I haven't heard talk of a price yet, but I'm not expecting good things there either.
The R&D work of VAST has been recouped a long time ago and it's been getting a bit long in the tooth.
Inexpensive, imported parts are being used.
Take a peek at some of the low cost controllers that include ton of knobs/sliders/pads.

Kurzweil has always charged a premium,
but they're not in such a rarified position now that an excess is justified.
Time will tell.

Last edited by felis; 8th April 2019 at 01:27 AM..
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Seems to be it's the same display size as on Forte. Which is better than on PC3/K2xxx series.
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

I wonder how much?
Old 2nd April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Sorry but no, there were lots of cases where PC3 sound transitions were NOT smooth. Forte is a lot better in that since it has double the FX units than PC3. Forte handles smooth sound transitions better than PC3 ever did, from my experience. Also, you are maybe remembering all this from an early Forte OS, or something. It had a lot of updates since release.
The PC3K does have smooth sounds transitions.Yeah, probably I'm thinking about the early Fortes. Ever since I haven't played one, so I wasn't aware of updates that included smooth transitions

Really hope the PC4 will handle it too

Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

PC3K couldn't do the smooth transitions if you used up all FX slots, and the next patch/setup used completely different FX units. It's not an absolute thing, like it is on Kronos, say.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search