The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kurzweil PC4
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
FWIW I didn't return mine (yet, I think the window is still open). Mainly because it sounds so good.
I only returned mine to get the MatrixBrute, a choice very specific to my situation. I am actively debating getting the PC4 again because I like it so much.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
There is a PC2 software editor around - it allows you to get into more of the VAST behind the PC2’s sounds. Not at the computer atm I think its called PCManager.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

For programming synths on the fly with all those controls, this looks quite interesting:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n0nFUvWgr0E
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleer View Post
As we for programming synths on the fly with all those controls, this looks quite interesting:
That's some phenomenal sounding stuff.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
For programming synths on the fly with all those controls, this looks quite interesting:
I’ve looked at their videos and it’s confusing. They seem like sound packs, not an editor, but they say it’s an editor that is coming “this summer”, but all they show in their videos is the PC4 hardware.

Last edited by ihearanewworld; 1 week ago at 07:02 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihearanewworld View Post
I’ve looked at their videos and it’s confusing. They seem like sound packs, not an editor, but they say it’s an editor that is coming “this summer”, but all they show in their videos is the PC4 hardware.
i bought an earlier version of this last year for my PC4 and I think the idea is that their programs expose top level parameters that can be controlled by the knobs and sliders on the PC4 control panel, essentially "macros", but you can also go in an duplicate and edit the patches to achieve whatever you want.

I did find it helpful.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihearanewworld View Post
It's both a pack of 120 odd patches and a 2 oscillator synth engine mapped to the Kurzweil's onboard sliders and knobs.

Here you go: https://www.barbandco.com/store/p269...ution_PC4.html

That was in the description part of the Youtube video. It says you get 45 parameters under your fingertips to play with. No menu diving and no VAST knowledge required.

2 oscillators with Saw, Supersaw, Square, Pulse width with PWM etc.
2 LFOs.
2 Envelopes.
24 different filter types.

This is I think just another great example of just how flexible Kurzweils are. For those people who've been clamoring for more immediate hands on experience on the Kurzweil this is a really good demonstration of what you can do. Plus you get over a 100 sounds to get you started. Good variety there too.

You can do this yourself of course but Barb's done it for you so that should save some time.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docflick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gminorcoles View Post
But the keyboard is NOT at the heart of what is holding it back, and that issue is a red herring.
Good to hear another positive voice re: keybed. Since it is impossible these days, at least at any stores near me, to find a Kurzweil to demo, it really comes down to going on others' recommendations – even though key feel is such a personal preference, subjective call, etc.

The consensus here, though, seems to be that the PC4's Medeli action is at least decent, on par with similar mid-tier boards, which is all one can really expect at this price point.
I played a S90ES for years. I've been playing a Hammond SK-1 in my jam band, but needed something lighter than the Yammie and more flexible than the SK1 for a recently joined cover band. The PC4 fit the bill. Never owned a Kurz before. I love it so far. The action is fine for me and I don't get tennis elbow after a couple of hours playing it like the S90ES (I play heavy handed). The clonewheel under the hood keeps me from having to lug and hook up my XM1 module (first gen Hammond clone). I was able to program the entire show in 3 days without ever using the interface before. Much more intuitive than Yamaha's interface.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Barb is a killer sound designer. He also made the massive synth and FM factory sounds for the PC4.

Umax is made to emulate an analog synth with lots of classic controls and it's really great. I use it a lot on the Forte.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jercat3 View Post
....I was able to program the entire show in 3 days without ever using the interface before. Much more intuitive than Yamaha's interface.
This is seldom said. Usually you hear the opposite.
I think it's mostly from people who haven't really spent time with a Kurzweil, and especially a PC4.
With the Yamaha's I've had, I usually had to keep their poorly written manuals open.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Didn’t even dare to dive into my MODX8.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jercat3 View Post
I played a S90ES for years. I've been playing a Hammond SK-1 in my jam band, but needed something lighter than the Yammie and more flexible than the SK1 for a recently joined cover band. The PC4 fit the bill. Never owned a Kurz before. I love it so far. The action is fine for me and I don't get tennis elbow after a couple of hours playing it like the S90ES (I play heavy handed). The clonewheel under the hood keeps me from having to lug and hook up my XM1 module (first gen Hammond clone). I was able to program the entire show in 3 days without ever using the interface before. Much more intuitive than Yamaha's interface.
That's about where I am and why I bought the PC4, but I have owned Kurzweil before. My first Kurz was the little Micropiano module. Then I owned a PC2R rack, and eventually the PC2X keyboard. I still have the PC2X, but it is too heavy to gig with anymore. I have been using the Hammond SK1-73 as a kind of a stage piano and all around board, but the waterfall action is just really too light to dig into and play "real" two-handed piano. For simpler piano parts and other things, it is just fine IMO. But my new all around board is the PC4 and so far I am loving it. I will be gigging with it this weekend so we will see, but it has already been a powerhouse at rehearsals, and lets me play "real" piano, as well as having a ton of good sounds and a decent organ sim.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfstudios View Post
That's about where I am and why I bought the PC4, but I have owned Kurzweil before. My first Kurz was the little Micropiano module. Then I owned a PC2R rack, and eventually the PC2X keyboard. I still have the PC2X, but it is too heavy to gig with anymore. I have been using the Hammond SK1-73 as a kind of a stage piano and all around board, but the waterfall action is just really too light to dig into and play "real" two-handed piano. For simpler piano parts and other things, it is just fine IMO. But my new all around board is the PC4 and so far I am loving it. I will be gigging with it this weekend so we will see, but it has already been a powerhouse at rehearsals, and lets me play "real" piano, as well as having a ton of good sounds and a decent organ sim.
Keep us posted
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by felis View Post
I think it's mostly from people who haven't really spent time with a Kurzweil, and especially a PC4.
With the Yamaha's I've had, I usually had to keep their poorly written manuals open.
I guess it depends on your requirements too. It definitely takes me longer to work up the patches and multis I need on my forte 7 than it does on my modx7, and I find it less of a chore on the modx. The main thing I miss from the forte is the ability to trigger specific groups of notes from specific keys, but there are work around.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Depends what you do. The Multi Mode is imho absolutely straight forward and quick to program. So if you just put factory Programs together, the Kurz Multi Mode is really quick.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by FbHorse View Post
....The main thing I miss from the forte is the ability to trigger specific groups of notes from specific keys, but there are work around.
If you're referring to playing chords from a single key, it's on P. 306 (11-17) of the Forte manual. On the MultiEdit/Controls page.
Pc4 can do it too.
Kurzweil refers to them as Key Switch Controllers. There are twelve of them, and you can trigger up to eight keys/notes from one key.
I suppose it's possible you're talking about something else though.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
If you're referring to playing chords from a single key, it's on P. 306 (11-17) of the Forte manual. On the MultiEdit/Controls page.
Pc4 can do it too.
Kurzweil refers to them as Key Switch Controllers. There are twelve of them, and you can trigger up to eight keys/notes from one key.
I suppose it's possible you're talking about something else though.
Yes - I mean I miss that feature when using the modx
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

This is one of the greatest features in the Forte/PC4 imho.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I'm not up on all of it yet, but some Steinberg stuff, and I think maybe Kontakt
has options that let you trigger different expressions from specific keys.
It's one of the reasons I didn't mind going for an 88 key board rather than waiting for 76 or 61.
I doubt if I'd ever use all 88 keys strictly for playing, but having extra keys to use as triggers will surely come in handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FbHorse View Post
Yes - I mean I miss that feature when using the modx
OK - I misread your post. I thought you meant the other way around.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If the Elektron crowd ever got hip to what these Kurzweil machines could, the internet would be flooded with demos. For the money, the PC4 is a MONSTER Ambient machine, the programmable controls tied to the sequencer or plush arp options is an endless amount of sonic possibilities. Throw in FM sound effects with the PC4 modular approach, and The VA engine, it’s somewhat of a poetic machine. For someone seriously looking to learn VAST, A PC4 could be the only machine a music maker would really need.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not up on all of it yet, but some Steinberg stuff, and I think maybe Kontakt
has options that let you trigger different expressions from specific keys.
It's one of the reasons I didn't mind going for an 88 key board rather than waiting for 76 or 61.
I doubt if I'd ever use all 88 keys strictly for playing, but having extra keys to use as triggers will surely come in handy.

OK - I misread your post. I thought you meant the other way around.
Roland boards have had this feature for a long time. Its on the JX-305, Fantom X, G, etc.

Also, Korg M-3, & after etc. allows chords to be triggered by single pads.

Yamaha Motif, etc. assigns arps and motifs to buttons which allows a person to toggle between patterns in real time, and they have thousands of these patterns.

The real trick is to make the feature easy to program and creating some visual representation that displays which key does what. It is very easy to forget what each key does.

I once considered turning each key of my kurz into a short motif then, by playing them in a variety of ways, I could generate new melodies. But I never got around to doing this.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
If the Elektron crowd ever got hip to what these Kurzweil machines could, the internet would be flooded with demos. For the money, the PC4 is a MONSTER Ambient machine, the programmable controls tied to the sequencer or plush arp options is an endless amount of sonic possibilities. Throw in FM sound effects with the PC4 modular approach, and The VA engine, it’s somewhat of a poetic machine. For someone seriously looking to learn VAST, A PC4 could be the only machine a music maker would really need.
The PC4 is a big improvement over previous Kurzweils

It finally has dedicated controllers which reduce menu diving

It has more controllers which reduce menu diving

It adds midi CC modulation and FM to expand sound options

It has better piano patches

It has far more polyphony

Its lighter

Kurzweil really listened to its customers when it developed this. They improved the parts they could improve that didn't require a massive, expensive overhaul of the whole VAST system- in short, they plucked the cheap low hanging fruit.

There are still many flaws (ED will be along any minute to tell you about these) but, for most people, this board is much improved and much cheaper than the PC3- a rare event in the synth world.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune View Post
The PC4 is a big improvement over previous Kurzweils

It finally has dedicated controllers which reduce menu diving

It has more controllers which reduce menu diving

It adds midi CC modulation and FM to expand sound options

It has better piano patches

It has far more polyphony

Its lighter

Kurzweil really listened to its customers when it developed this. They improved the parts they could improve that didn't require a massive, expensive overhaul of the whole VAST system- in short, they plucked the cheap low hanging fruit.

There are still many flaws (ED will be along any minute to tell you about these) but, for most people, this board is much improved and much cheaper than the PC3- a rare event in the synth world.
The PC3 was my first Kurzweil, I loved that machine. Unfortunate motherboard problem brought our love affair to and end unfortunately. Lol. In the eight years It worked, the effects started to glitch out, the keyboard started to trigger louder on some Keys, the lettering faded on the front panel, and buttons started to not trigger. Maybe I was a power user, I don’t know, but the sound was stunning, along with the programming capabilities. I made tons of music with that machine.

If Kurz makes a 61 key PC4 with A respectable synth Keybed at an affordable price, I’d probably give them another go. I think the rubber buttons would work better for me, and I’m curious to check out the FM engine. Other than that, I friend has let me borrow a Korg Rompler for the EP and piano stuff I do, I’m now looking at the Digitone keys for an ambient music sound generator, it just seems to sound far removed from the typical Rompler and analog sounds I’m accustomed to using.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune View Post
Roland boards have had this feature for a long time. Its on the JX-305, Fantom X, G, etc.

Also, Korg M-3, & after etc. allows chords to be triggered by single pads....

Ya - the chord triggers are neat, but in my last post, I was talking about something else - expression/maps.
It's more in the interaction between keys and external software. Extra keys help for this.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/company...xpression.html

Last edited by felis; 1 week ago at 04:06 AM..
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Indeed! I couldn't believe how much easier it was, especially the ability to dupe a part for layering with another tone....don't have to go through all the high/low note keyboard settings.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Some things are easier on Kurz, some are easier on Yamaha.

I would say that assembling splits and layers, for example, is easier on the PC4 than on the MODX. But editing synth parameters (waveforms, envelopes, filters, modulations) is easier on the MODX than the Kurz.

It can also vary with which models you are talking about. Navigating the MODX touchscreen is easier than navigating on its MOXF predecessor.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by duplobaustein View Post
Barb is a killer sound designer. He also made the massive synth and FM factory sounds for the PC4.
This is what he had to say about alternative PC4 versions, as far as keys go, today at Audiofanzine:
“une demande récurrente d'utilisateurs mais Kurzweil a spécifié dès le départ qu'il n'existerait qu'une version 88 notes.”
So, 88 it is, unless they change their mind.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
I also have this sneaking suspicion that the 88 key PC4 might be Kurzweil's swan song.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
This is what he had to say about alternative PC4 versions, as far as keys go, today at Audiofanzine:
“une demande récurrente d'utilisateurs mais Kurzweil a spécifié dès le départ qu'il n'existerait qu'une version 88 notes.”
So, 88 it is, unless they change their mind.
Link?

Preferably to a translated page.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

This is why it's important for users to go to their distributors and voice their wishes, to reach Kurzweil. If enough people do that, there's a chance for 76 or 61 to see the light of day.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear