The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Beatstep Pro Pattern Switching (not considering lengths of patterns) Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 30th March 2019
Here for the gear

Beatstep Pro Pattern Switching (not considering lengths of patterns)

Hi Guys, can't find this in the manual, so trying it here. On my Beatstep Pro I have different lengths for some patterns (some are 1 bar, some 2 or 4). Now when I change to a different pattern, the actual pattern finishes its length (so if it's at 2 out of 4 bars, it plays for 2 more bars. Is there a way to make the beatstep switch to the next pattern at the end of that bar, even if the pattern is longer than that bar? Makes quick fills and stuff a lot easier. cheers!
Old 9th April 2019
Here for the gear

anyone? :O
Old 9th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Haze View Post
Hi Guys, can't find this in the manual, so trying it here. On my Beatstep Pro I have different lengths for some patterns (some are 1 bar, some 2 or 4). Now when I change to a different pattern, the actual pattern finishes its length (so if it's at 2 out of 4 bars, it plays for 2 more bars. Is there a way to make the beatstep switch to the next pattern at the end of that bar, even if the pattern is longer than that bar? Makes quick fills and stuff a lot easier. cheers!
Uh what's a beatstep pro? lol

I would say find a more appropriate/ specific user forum or email their tech support

HTH
Old 9th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
I think your only options are to set it to switch instantly, or at the end of the pattern (“wait to load pattern”). The settings are in the Midi Control Center software. So I think you’d need to manually time your pattern change to the end of the bar to do what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack101 View Post
Uh what's a beatstep pro? lol

I would say find a more appropriate/ specific user forum or email their tech support

HTH
Beatstep Pro is a very popular hardware sequencer made by Arturia. There’s plenty of users and discussion about them here.
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by phutyle View Post
Beatstep Pro is a very popular hardware sequencer made by Arturia. There’s plenty of users and discussion about them here.
By the utter lack of response to the OP's question, I'd say probably not
Old 10th April 2019
Quote:
Perhaps here at GS, but not in the general synth world... When I bought mine, I couldn't even find one left in stock locally, had to buy the open box display at the local Sam Ash.

And yeah pretty sure you're only choices are either instant start, or wait til the current pattern is finished. The SYSEX documentation is one of the things people keep asking Arturia to release so we can start doing stuff like this (if possible).
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

There have been around 70 threads started related to the BSP. Not popular at all.
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cake100 View Post
There have been around 70 threads started related to the BSP. Not popular at all.
Please keep me up to date on this very exciting investigation
Old 10th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
And that's the problem with mistaking correlation for causation.

Here's a thread on the Korg minilogue with zero replies:

Korg minilogue constant MIDI output

by your logic, this is all the evidence you need that it's a completely unpopular device.
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by phutyle View Post
And that's the problem with mistaking correlation for causation.

Here's a thread on the Korg minilogue with zero replies:

Korg minilogue constant MIDI output

by your logic, this is all the evidence you need that it's a completely unpopular device.
The FBI should hire you and the other guy to solve cold cases, you're obviously both very talented investigators and very very smart kids
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
The FBI should hire you and the other guy to solve cold cases, you're obviously both very talented investigators and very very smart kids
Looks like we've got a right twonk here, folks.
Old 10th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Yeah, I guess when you compare us to the type of person who jumps into a thread and proudly declares to everyone their complete ignorance of a very popular product, we do look pretty damn smart.
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Head

Lol some of the above made me laugh, decent work

All the fun of the fair
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear

You misspelled Jack0ff.
Old 13th April 2019
Gear Head

Valuable input
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I'm assuming that you haven't discovered the <LST STEP> function near the lower left hand corner. This let's you set the length of the memory that is used and forces it to go back to the beginning when it reaches the "Last Step". This lets you do the 1,2,4 measure thing AND let's you play poly rhythms. You can have a 5, 9, 12 step patterns and they will just cycle happily. It can be all drums or drums combined with melodic patterns (or single percussion instrument in the step sequencers).
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmuelyosef View Post
I'm assuming that you haven't discovered the <LST STEP> function near the lower left hand corner. This let's you set the length of the memory that is used and forces it to go back to the beginning when it reaches the "Last Step". This lets you do the 1,2,4 measure thing AND let's you play poly rhythms. You can have a 5, 9, 12 step patterns and they will just cycle happily. It can be all drums or drums combined with melodic patterns (or single percussion instrument in the step sequencers).
Thanks all, and lol at the sudden trollification of this thread. Last step is not the thing I need. I like having a 4 bar pattern, with in total 64 steps, right. but then I also like to be able to switch that pattern to another pattern, without having it finish the 64 steps, but jump after the 'current measure' let's say. Apparently this is not possible, which is too bad.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmuelyosef View Post
Thanks all, and lol at the sudden trollification of this thread. Last step is not the thing I need. I like having a 4 bar pattern, with in total 64 steps, right. but then I also like to be able to switch that pattern to another pattern, without having it finish the 64 steps, but jump after the 'current measure' let's say. Apparently this is not possible, which is too bad.
...Now, I'm curious. Are you looking to just add a dynamic to your live performances, or do you want to do this programmatically?
There are 2 options on Beatstep Pro that you can use...
1. There is the Scene Mode...this was added without much fanfare to the Firmware Update 2.0. It takes advantage of shorter (although there is no restriction) loops and allows you to string them together...say you have 3 different 4-beat patterns (a groove and 2 fills), and you want to play the groove on the first 12 bars of a chorus, but then alternate the fills. You can just program this on the front panel see THIS VIDEO for a long-winded description (i've started the link where the 'meat' is). Under GLOBAL-->SETTINGS (in MIDI CONTROL) you need to turn <Scenes> to "On"

2. There is an obscure button in the MIDI CONTROL app under the <Settings> tab. The last button in the <Sync> row is labeled "Wait to Load Pattern". If you turn this off, it it makes the pattern shift instantly rather than wait for the end. This is can be streamlined for live performance if you know your patterns well. Hold down the <Control> button at the top middle of the BSP and the 16 buttons become pattern selectors just like in Ableton LIVE

I haven't exhaustively tested these for the corner cases but have found both of these features to be useful

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search