The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is there any reason to own hardware effects in 2019?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I think the Eventide to VCR analog is apt.

The difference, however, is that millions of people haven't spent hours each day, year after year, setting the clocks on VCRs... whereas Excel and the rest are mindnumbingly ubiquitous in the business world, and as such folks are rightfully tired of its ilk.

VCRs or Eventides, however similar and similarly antiquated, see significantly less use, and are therefore less annoying... It's quite simple, really.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
I think the Eventide to VCR analog is apt.

The difference, however, is that millions of people haven't spent hours each day, year after year, setting the clocks on VCRs... whereas Excel and the rest are mindnumbingly ubiquitous in the business world, and as such folks are rightfully tired of its ilk.
i guess i'm glad that i'm not in the "business world" then? i used Excel years ago for work, but was never bothered by that when i started using Ableton.

for the most part, pretty much all of my computer use has been for music or internet. never had a computer growing up, the first computer i ever bought was a used Atari ST for sequencing. didn't get a "real computer" until a few years later, and only really used that for the internet. a few years after that i bought a laptop and Ableton Live 4 or 5, which i pretty much saw as a "modern Atari".

sure don't miss programming rack units, and as fun as the TR-8S and stuff is for "performance" they really are a hassle to use for the most part and i'm always reminded of their limitations (which certainly don't lead to more "creativity", but simply compromise).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
.” Remember the REV7? I owned a Lexicon MPX-1 for years and it always felt like a struggle to quickly program it, .
Aye, MPX1 like most of the older low end Lexicons was horrible to program. In the end I didn’t think it was worth the effort.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
i guess i'm glad that i'm not in the "business world" then? i used Excel years ago for work, but was never bothered by that when i started using Ableton.
If Excel looks like those controllers then I'm beggining to think I should get an office job so that I can get paid to play with it all day.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
If Excel looks like those controllers then I'm beggining to think I should get an office job so that I can get paid to play with it all day.
i'm sure there's some guy that sold VCRs at Sears for a living in the 80s who has horrible flashbacks when he sees a rackmount synth/sampler/fx unit.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

(shrug)

I don't care either way. If you like the grid, use it.

If you don't, don't. There are alternatives.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
(shrug)

I don't care either way. If you like the grid, use it.

If you don't, don't. There are alternatives.
The point that people miss is that the grid is there for those who want to use it. It isn’t necessary. I almost never use it. My DAW looks like a mixing board and tape transport controls.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If ever a point didn't need making, here on GS...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
i'm sure there's some guy that sold VCRs at Sears for a living in the 80s who has horrible flashbacks when he sees a rackmount synth/sampler/fx unit.
That’d be me. CRAZY EDDIE’S! His prices are INSANE!

But I don’t really have flashbacks. I got really good at figuring out home audio gear and later rack-mount music gear. I can still do it, I’d just rather not. I spent a week editing my 002r from its front panel and it went right under the desk where it can sing it’s sweet song in darkness. The web editor is way better.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If ever a point didn't need making, here on GS...
OK - wait just a gosh darned minute there cowboy. You are missing the entire point of GS, that being points that don't need making, including this one, and the one you made... wait a minute: why are we all here? I now feel as if I am stuck looking at my eyeball in the mirror and I cannot break free.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddoggie View Post
OK - wait just a gosh darned minute there cowboy. You are missing the entire point of GS, that being points that don't need making, including this one, and the one you made... wait a minute: why are we all here? I now feel as if I am stuck looking at my eyeball in the mirror and I cannot break free.
My self loathing often peaks immediately after I brutally complain to someone here about people complaining here, but then I realize that's a terribly unslutty attitude so I stuff that turducken of shame, resentment, and irritation deep down inside and put it on a shelf next to my failed music career and I rock on, or so the story goes.

It's a veritable cornucopia of moral, ethical, and occasially legal conundrums, that taps into the very zeitgeist and maro of what slutness even is.

Can one even be a slut without being an annoying tosser on occasion? The gross tonnage of evidence suggests not, try as we might to fight it.

In one minute I hate you all, figuratively, and in another I'd rather be around no one else on Earth. More like siblings, it feels sometimes.

I love ya and have a desire to stab ya if ya say [x] one more gotdamn time. Do it. I dare ya. Say it, MFer. Say What one mo gotdamn time...

Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I like hardware FX. they are fun to use
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkos View Post
Well what on earth are you doing on Gearslutz then
Software and all that hardware you use to run it on, hear it and control it with is gear and the vast majority of people posting here use a mix of software and hardware synths and effects,etc.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks bolero View Post
I like hardware FX. they are fun to use
/thread

[I mean, right?]
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
My self loathing often peaks immediately after I brutally complain to someone here about people complaining here, but then I realize that's a terribly unslutty attitude so I stuff that tukducken of shame, resentment, and irritation deep down inside and put it on a shelf next to my failed music career and I rock on, or so the story goes.

It's a veritable cornucopia of moral, ethical, and occasially legal conundrums, that taps into the very zeitgeist and maro of what slutness even is.

Can one even be a slut without being an annoying tosser on occasion? The gross tonnage of evidence suggests not, try as we might to fight it.

In one minute I hate you all, figuratively, and in another I'd rather be around no one else on Earth. More like siblings, it feels sometimes.

I love ya and have a desire to stab ya if ya say [x] one more gotdamn time. Do it. I dare ya. Say it, MFer. Say What one mo gotdamn time...

What?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddoggie View Post
What?
Exactly.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I’m still in search of that magic box covered in fairy dust.
I have a feeling I’ll never find it.
What I have found along the way..
Sherman filter bank Evol Audio Fucifier DP4
H 3000
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have a computer-free setup so I actually depend on hardware FX.

Recently reorganized into a smaller space and had 4 rack spaces dedicated to FX (in addition to a few pedals). I went with DP/2, PCM 80, Eclipse, and Rumour.

Certainly enough to cover my needs.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
I’m still in search of that magic box covered in fairy dust.
I have a feeling I’ll never find it.
What I have found along the way..
Sherman filter bank Evol Audio Fucifier DP4
H 3000

I haven't tried the others, but the H3000 is my idea of fairy dust.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlaker View Post
I have a computer-free setup so I actually depend on hardware FX.

Recently reorganized into a smaller space and had 4 rack spaces dedicated to FX (in addition to a few pedals). I went with DP/2, PCM 80, Eclipse, and Rumour.

Certainly enough to cover my needs.
Cool. What's the rest of your rig?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool. What's the rest of your rig?
Kronos is the centerpiece. I record into a Korg D3200. Synths: SEM, SH-2, Prophet 5, Juno 6, MKS-70, and Microwave XTK.

It's *almost* ready to go. Pics in the big thread soon...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlaker View Post
Kronos is the centerpiece. I record into a Korg D3200. Synths: SEM, SH-2, Prophet 5, Juno 6, MKS-70, and Microwave XTK.

It's *almost* ready to go. Pics in the big thread soon...
Right TF on.

Cool choices.

I do love SEMs and SH-2s. They're the business.

Looking forward to the details when you're ready.

Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
There are some flanging and flangers way back that could produce self oscillation and go trough TRUE zero-through flanging. However, that the fidelity was lower, than even todays digital hardware. I remember checking out the software that mimicked Lexicon PCM 42, called PSP42... something, some Polish guys programmed it. It froze my MAC when turning up self oscillation and true trough-zero flanging. Most CPUS can't take the 0-1 ms delays with huge amount of feedback, because the calculations goes through the roof. Especially with most software, when you tax all controls to the max, it doesn't really work. In order for software to stay "stable" you have to limit the limits even more. The roof is slightly lower, in terms of that you can't have infinite feedback, it's alway 99,9 percent, and no "out-there" effects can be produced, or allow one to think out of the box.

Even some of the modern hardware har just software made for PC/MAC that is ported right into modern chips in a rack. Remember even the same Eventide, happened to paint themselves into a corner with the following scathing review of their flagship studio unit:

https://www.thomann.de/se/eventide_h9000_harmonizer.htm

Read the review. One star. Surely, if all they do is port and throw in the software for PC/MAC into a hardware chip and unit and sells it as hardware is better, no big deal. Then I prefer software. NOTE: at 7644 USD.... a steal...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honch View Post
... no "out-there" effects can be produced, or allow one to think out of the box.
bull****. pure bull****.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honch View Post
There are some flanging and flangers way back that could produce self oscillation and go trough TRUE zero-through flanging. However, that the fidelity was lower, than even todays digital hardware. I remember checking out the software that mimicked Lexicon PCM 42, called PSP42... something, some Polish guys programmed it. It froze my MAC when turning up self oscillation and true trough-zero flanging. Most CPUS can't take the 0-1 ms delays with huge amount of feedback, because the calculations goes through the roof. Especially with most software, when you tax all controls to the max, it doesn't really work. In order for software to stay "stable" you have to limit the limits even more. The roof is slightly lower, in terms of that you can't have infinite feedback, it's alway 99,9 percent, and no "out-there" effects can be produced, or allow one to think out of the box.

Even some of the modern hardware har just software made for PC/MAC that is ported right into modern chips in a rack. Remember even the same Eventide, happened to paint themselves into a corner with the following scathing review of their flagship studio unit:

https://www.thomann.de/se/eventide_h9000_harmonizer.htm

Read the review. One star. Surely, if all they do is port and throw in the software for PC/MAC into a hardware chip and unit and sells it as hardware is better, no big deal. Then I prefer software. NOTE: at 7644 USD.... a steal...
One bad apple don’t spoil the whole bunch of girls, as my friend Donny says. There are plenty of through zero flangers that work just fine. Try this one... for free!

https://valhalladsp.com/shop/modulat...ace-modulator/

The flanger that comes with U-He’s Ubik is a favorite of mine as well. I think if you buy v1 now (it’s an effects suite that comes with a bunch of really nice effects) you get v2 for free when it’s released.

True perfect analog feedback is impossible with digital hardware or software. You need a near instant loop back and even a digital hardware machine can’t do something instantly. That is a good reason to keep hardware around, for sure.

I also think the H3000 plugin gets such bad reviews because of it’s sh!tty interface more than anything else. I’ve tried it. It sounds fine, but the UI is ridiculously outdated compared to plugins like MXXX, Molekular or BYOME.

[edit] Ooops, I assumed the one star was for the software. Now that’s funny.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Get 'em...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
True perfect analog feedback is impossible with digital hardware or software. You need a near instant loop back and even a digital hardware machine can’t do something instantly. That is a good reason to keep hardware around, for sure.
christ, you'd think you'd have learned by now. still talking like a newb.

digital hardware, "analog" feedback:

digital/software can do feedback just fine.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sounds wicked, @ jbuonacc
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
bull****. pure bull****.
Let it go. Surely these people have never used a plugin like Molekular (Reaktor) or BYOME. Or even MXXX. They probably never will, and that’s fine, but I dare him to come up with something as creative and effortless as I can do with the above plugins with his hardware. Sure, you could sit by your Eventide box and tweak that encoder to the cows come home and end up with something amazing. No doubt. It’s not what I call fun or intuitive, though. I don’t know what the interface on the 9000 is, though. Maybe improved? The stomp boxes seem better. I think that’s the way I’d go if I were doing this, or find a box that has a good computer editor. I thought the POD HD500 had a good editor but I felt the quality of effects were pretty mediocre. Not bad, but not better than something like Guitar Rig, which I find easier to use.

A big pedal board can be a thing of wonder. There’s no doubt. I had one for years... all Velcro’d to plywood... it weighed a ton. Repositioning effects was the worst of it. I’d often have to make concessions if I wanted stereo processing. It was very intuitive though. It definitely stopped working for me in a live situation, due to lack of patch memory. Now I do that all with my Kemper, though the effects are pretty basic. I do leave it to run it though a tube distortion pedal, which can get that extra 5% of crunch that digital can have problems with. So, I definitely use hardware effects. No doubt about it. Especially when it comes to distortion. Analog distortion is the best, but I’ll take a close second to get functionality that I want. That said, I’ve heard some great sounding demos of software guitar amp modelers too. For digital effects, I really feel the distance between hardware and software is a lot smaller. Basically, if you’re blocked by the inability to afford an H9000, or even an Orville, the problem might not be lack of funds.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

For those of us who don't know, can someone explain what TRUE ZERO-THROUGH Flanging is. All I know is that "flanging" was produced by some-one pressing their finger on the outside of the tape spool (the flange) therefore slowing it down, and speeding up on release. I think?

If you have two tapes the same - speeding one up, slowing one down. The cross-point being zero?

What say ye?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search