The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Giuseppe Ottaviani Reverb Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 28th March 2019
Gear Nut
Giuseppe Ottaviani Reverb

I don't listen to EDM or Trance much, but the YouTube algorithm suggested this video for me:

I think it's great that this guy is sharing these long live sessions for people interested in electronic music production. Unfortunately, he doesn't really explain how the FX section is set up.

Anyone have an idea what is doing that massive reverb with a grainy tail?
You can hear it all thru the video, but for example on the pads and piano around and after 34:45.

Could be something like Valhalla Shimmer(?) but probably not. I also think that he is using a hardware FX unit based section judging from how he works with MIDI and a mixing desk and hardware synths (everything, even the hardware synths seem to have the same delay + reverb on them).

From here: Interview with trance maestro Giuseppe Ottaviani | Producer Loops

"Keyboards go into my mixing desk; a Soundcraft Ghost 32 channels / 8 bus with modified preamps; ...

I also use 4 x Composer Pro from Behringer, not to compress obviously, but just as a side-chain for the 4 x stereo bus group on my desk, so when I route a sound coming from a keyboard into that I can already apply a side-chain to let the sound better sit on the mix before recording it into my DAW.

The effects section is made by just a couple of Lexicon and TC Electronic multi effect processors, and a very old and quite rare Roland reverb, which I use on kick drums because its gated reverb is quite unique to me, you don’t really hear it, but you feel it, and you can definitely tell the difference when it’s not applied."

It's hard to see clearly what is on those racks from the video, I can't see anything that would look like a PCM80/90 or any of the bigger units. I'm not familiar enough with TC units to recognize them.
Old 29th March 2019
Gear Nut
My best guess at this point is Lexicon MX200 with a compressor post reverb. Amazing sound from a cheap hardware FX unit.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singleton View Post

Anyone have an idea what is doing that massive reverb with a grainy tail?
You can hear it all thru the video, but for example on the pads and piano around and after 34:45.
I think grainy reverb tail comes from Soundtoys Crystallizer plugin.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trance54 View Post
I think grainy reverb tail comes from Soundtoys Crystallizer plugin.
Yep. That's pretty much spot on.

It's definitely not the Lexicon as none of the hardware FX are even plugged in.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
It's definitely not the Lexicon as none of the hardware FX are even plugged in.
Just curious, how did you determine that?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singleton View Post
Just curious, how did you determine that?
Because I know him. And many others in the Pure Trance scene.

They were making music in the nineties and amassed lots of gear, but Omnisphere and the Virus TI are pretty much all the trance scene uses these days.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
Because I know him.
That's so awesome .

I have a question however... as far as I can tell, what he has there in the rack are Lexicon MX200 and a TC M350. The MX200 was released in 2005 AFAIK and the M350 is even newer (from 2007). Since these units are fairly new, it makes me wonder why GO even bothered to get them so late in the game. I also saw him tweak the HW reverb on some other video with what seemed to result as a change in the sound.

In any case, he was pretty clear on other videos about his hybrid setup and how he uses HW synths (including the 01/W) for some sounds - explanation being that he finds the HW inspiring and that it helps him to move around in the studio which has ergonomic benefits.

I'm not saying that anybody needs HW but GO seems to use it nonetheless.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search