The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Icon Platform Nano DAW controller @Dancefair 2019
Old 16th March 2019
Icon Platform Nano DAW controller @Dancefair 2019

For some time there was no extended Mackie Protocol compatible one-fader DAW controller on the market. That has now changed: Here's the very complete, very compact Platform Nano.

(please excuse the audio dropouts: Gremlins)
The exterior is a metal wedge shaped box, just big and sturdy enough to allow serious work, but small enough to even fit on a desk or even a synthesizer or keyboard controller. A Kensington lock port completes it.

The fader is a 100 mm 10 bit ALPS, and feels very solid with it's cast metal (conductive) fadercap. No flimsy plastic here.

The rotary controller at the botom is a metal knob with a nice, solid feel, and soft-click detends. No complaints there either. When you press it, it scrubs. Four buttons on the left side allow quick track and clip selection, to the right two buttons allow quick horizontal and vertical zoom (or both). No more command+ or tiny display sliders. There's enough room to move your fingers, accidental button switching is not likely to happen, unless your name is Saladfingers.
Five endless rotary controllers can be found at the top of the Platform Nano: The one on the left is for channel selection, the four to the right have various destinations. The feel is.. normal for continuous (endless) controllers.
The display shows SMPTE timecode, or MIDI beat clock postion. To the left is a small OLED which displays track information (track names) and other program dependent functions.
Just below the display are 5 buttons, the four colored ones allow a quick function switch, so four different layers of functions of the buttons below can be accessed.

Grouped in the middle are the illuminated rubber knobs with various functions; this includes Mute, Solo and Record; 6 illuminated transport buttons including Play, Stop, Rec, Rewind, Fast Forward and Loop. I'm not a fan of this type of knobs, but the ones on this device did the job. They're responsive enough.

With various overlays (pictured the Logic Pro one) a user can quickly customize the Platform Nano for their setup. Handy if you're using two DAWs (I'm using both Logic Pro and Bitwig). Included are overlays for Cubase/Nuendo, Logic Pro X, Digital Performer, FL Studio, Samplitude, Reaper, Studio One, Bitwig, Reason, ProTools, Sonar, Audition, Ableton Live and a User Define Mode. These overlays are printed from plastic sheet material, about a mm thick (guessing there). Not super high quality, but it will survive regular studio use. (I'm thinking to add some layer of clear plastic film, should be possible, there's enough space for that even with the overlay in place)

The controller supports Universal Mackie Control, Logic Control and Pro Tools HUI protocol, as well as a user defined mode.
The iMpap software allows for quick programming if needed, pictured is the QCon software map page.
Not pictured (I'll get a picture tomorrow) is an expansion slot at the bottom: This allows a PN-1 Bluetooth card and a battery pack, so this device can be used as a remote. I asked if it could function as a remote for a QControl system, the answer was "yes, if the user connects both devices as controller in the DAW settings".
The Platform Nano is compatible with an optional Platform D2 LCD display.

At the back; there's a standard USB 2.0 connector (the device is class compliant with Mac OS and various Windows OS (even XP ). That USB connector also powers the unit (if no battery pack is used). Then there's two 1/4" Jack connctors for (standard) footswitch pedals.

Overall, a neat package. Being the proud owner of a well made SAC 2.2 DAW controller with a dead (unsupported) USB port, I'm in the market for such a controller. The single fader may not be to everyone's liking but for me it works.
If the unit is bug free, and works as advertised? I was promised a demo, that I'm going to record on video, tomorrow. What I did see, it all works, quick, no noticable delays, no glitches that I could see.
More tomorrow, then.
Attached Thumbnails
Icon Platform Nano DAW controller @Dancefair 2019-d17fbd27-4269-4d0d-af55-c2d6e6b4fbad.jpg   Icon Platform Nano DAW controller @Dancefair 2019-582773a1-f055-4549-81a1-2cabe94f7004.jpg   Icon Platform Nano DAW controller @Dancefair 2019-e4cb25fd-21b1-4064-ae1e-a819c112bc3f.jpg   Icon Platform Nano DAW controller @Dancefair 2019-68c04ea3-1495-446a-a9bc-95419cd97a83.jpg   Icon Platform Nano DAW controller @Dancefair 2019-34d06f8c-e32a-4b0d-8286-60c5815b5e32.jpg  

Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear

I’m looking for something small, just like this.

Very interested in the video and what you think of the demo...
Old 25th March 2019
Here for the gear

I had it on preorder and it was due in stock this week. Unfortunately it's delayed 4-5 weeks from now.
I could have gone the presonus or de behringer, but this has both no PSU capability, and a a powerswitch, and looks to be following track selection in Logic so I have got to have that one!
Your review is highly needed on this one fader solution!
Old 26th March 2019
Lives for gear

Any news?
Old 29th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheDog View Post
Any news?

I'll contact Mike (the guy in the video) and see when it's released.
Maybe he can come here and tell us himself.

I'm also interested in this. Don't have a lot of space and when I'm automating, I go for a single fader anyway.
I don't know how this Nano controller will hold up in the real world (bugs, glitches) but it looked allright to me, when I was there.

So here's the video. (Excuse the few audio dropouts pls. Gremlins)
Old 29th March 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks for the video.

Looks pretty neat to me, I will get one when they are available...
Old 28th June 2019
Gear Maniac

I like this.. Anyone can tell me how it feels in action?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibling View Post
I just bought this, and all I can say, is that I am very disappointed. I will send it back.
I use Cubase 10 pro, and it's not working as they say it should. It will not follow selected channels, and it's only transport button that work. My controller has no serial number either.
Their support team never answer when I contact them. The whole company seems very unserious.
I will not recommend to buy anything from this unserious company. They will never help you with your products. Read on their forum, and you will see that I am not the only one who not got any help from them.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibling View Post
It feels like **** in action, some buttons are very hard to push, and some is easy. The buttons feels like poor qualit. It has a nice look, but it's not working with Cubase.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Avoid icon gear.. There poorly made..have no tech support.. No proper software, drivers.. I got bit twice with these jokers.

Better buy from behringer, presonus.. Etc
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwaxxy View Post
Avoid icon gear.. There poorly made..have no tech support.. No proper software, drivers.. I got bit twice with these jokers.

Better buy from behringer, presonus.. Etc
Yes this have to be the worst Company ever. No support at all.
I have to send the Controller back.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This is a dodgy company using the cheapest possible manufacturing and has a terrible track record for support. I wouldn't put anything made by them in my studio even if it was given to me for free.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Can this be used in conjunction with their X+ series?

It would be a pretty sweet setup for my writing music room
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
Can this be used in conjunction with their X+ series?

It would be a pretty sweet setup for my writing music room
You still want to buy this s.h.i.t?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Admittedly they are a few negative comments about icon gear.. But they are a few positive review as well. Besides, I can always return it if I don’t like it
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
Admittedly they are a few negative comments about icon gear.. But they are a few positive review as well. Besides, I can always return it if I don’t like it
Just as you know, they dont have any support if there is something wrong.
I have not seen 1 positive review. The qality is very bad, and it is to expensive.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olenga View Post
Just as you know, they dont have any support if there is something wrong.
I have not seen 1 positive review. The qality is very bad, and it is to expensive.
If in the USA, isn't Mixware supposed to provide all support for Icon? I haven't called in a few years, but when I did they were fine.

Also as mentioned in another post if in cubase you need to choose inside cubase either cubase mode or compatability mode.

Also if you have screwey faders, shaking or vibrating or not smooth, there are some possible calibrations...at least for their other DAW controllers.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
If in the USA, isn't Mixware supposed to provide all support for Icon? I haven't called in a few years, but when I did they were fine.

Also as mentioned in another post if in cubase you need to choose inside cubase either cubase mode or compatability mode.

Also if you have screwey faders, shaking or vibrating or not smooth, there are some possible calibrations...at least for their other DAW controllers.
I know all this, but it still not work, and the buttons and fader is in bad quality. I am finished with Icon. I sent it back and will never buy anything from them again. This has to be the worst product I've seen in my life. Made in China.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
This is a dodgy company using the cheapest possible manufacturing and has a terrible track record for support. I wouldn't put anything made by them in my studio even if it was given to me for free.
This has not been my experience. I have the Icon Platform M+ and both the hardware and software drivers have been flawless. Yeah it was like $250 and another $150 or so for the display so it’s not like Speck Mixer quality. But still it’s very solid, steel casing and the faders feel great, buttons more than adequate. I also received help on their forum at the beginning but haven’t needed anything since. I’m not dismissing what others claim, just stating my own experience.

I’m on Win 10 so maybe it’s a problem with Macs? I remember before purchasing last year reviews stating that it wobbled and such but I have had no such issues. Don’t believe everything you read. Btw I have no horse in this steak.

Last edited by Markyboard; 4 weeks ago at 11:43 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markyboard View Post
This has not been my experience. I have the Icon Platform M+ and both the hardware and software drivers have been flawless. Yeah it was like $250 and another $150 or so for the display so it’s not like Speck Mixer quality. But still it’s very solid, steel casing and the faders feel great, buttons more than adequate. I also received help on their forum at the beginning but haven’t needed anything since. I’m not dismissing what others claim, just stating my own experience.

I’m on Win 10 so maybe it’s a problem with Macs? I remember before purchasing last year reviews stating that it wobbled and such but I have had no such issues. Don’t believe everything you read. Btw I have no horse in this steak.
I am also on windows 10, and I got no help on their forums, or support. I tried to contact them everywhere without success.
The Icon Platform Nano is in cheap quality, made in China. It looks nice but feels like sh.it. only transport buttons worked in Cubase. Nothing else.
I talked with 3 other people on Facebook, who had the same experience with the Nano controller and Icon support. They totally ignore everyone.
I bought the Nano controller, because they went out on their Facebook site, and told everyone, that the Nano controller would follow selected channels, but that was only a lie, so it's useless for me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I should have mentioned that I use it with Reaper. I recall that a number of the issues people brought up was with Cubase.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am also on windows 10, and I got no help on their forums, or support. I tried to contact them everywhere without success.
The Icon Platform Nano is in cheap quality, made in China. It looks nice but feels like sh.it. only transport buttons worked in Cubase. Nothing else.
I talked with 3 other people on Facebook, who had the same experience with the Nano controller and Icon support. They totally ignore everyone.
I bought the Nano controller, because they went out on their Facebook site, and told everyone, that the Nano controller would follow selected channels, but that was only a lie, so it's useless for me.
You did set it ups as a MCU controller? Sounds like you didn’t ..
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen View Post
You did set it ups as a MCU controller? Sounds like you didn’t ..
I did everything as they show on their videos and write on their website. Mackie controller in Cubase.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I did everything as they show on their videos and write on their website. Mackie controller in Cubase.
And the setting in Cubase... which mode? Compatibility or Cubase?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
And the setting in Cubase... which mode? Compatibility or Cubase?
Compatibility as it says. If not, you will hear some tones if you push your buttons

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search