The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Tie MIDI
Old 16th March 2019
Lives for gear

Tie MIDI

anyone know anything about this?
4in/4out, merge 2 inputs, 'perfect timing', usb powered?
any good?

TIE Studio – MIDI Interface 4i4o – TIE Products EN
Old 16th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
anyone know anything about this?
4in/4out, merge 2 inputs, 'perfect timing', usb powered?
any good?

TIE Studio – MIDI Interface 4i4o – TIE Products EN
their WWW is speaking about windows XP & vista. This is an old product?

I'd be a bit sceptical of the "perfect timing" claim tbh
Old 16th March 2019
Gear Nut

I bought one...
Maybe i got a faulty one, but Midi in and Midi out is printed the other way round, and somehow it could not handle more than 3 Midi outs at the same time, stuff got lost like Program changes and CCs...
not good for live
Old 16th March 2019
Gear Guru

if the quality control is such that Midi in and Midi out are printed incorrectly. I'd avoid.
it's going to be too hit and miss. they are basically mixing up units which failed basic quality control. assuming there was much in the first place.
Old 16th March 2019
Lives for gear

concerning the other model - usb bluetooth 1in/1out, the only comment on thomann mentioned latency. (which would be a no go)

alternatives?
Old 16th March 2019
Gear Guru

the more IO you get, the more of a problem it becomes. I have an older lime green colored Midi Sport 2X2 which I tend to find always reliable and a good performer. not sure about any of their later 2X2 or 4X4 variants. the circuitry in my older one looks sufficiently complex for a small box.

but my general advice is to get a Roland um one mk2. it's only 1X1 but it has very solid timing. and you always want at least one thing which you can use for good timing. just to rely one and also as a baseline.

the new bomebox looks interesting for various reasons. but it is still only 1X1, but pulls together various other use cases.
I still see a lot of people often using Motu Microlites as well. even in critical rigs with switching redundant systems.
Old 16th March 2019
Lives for gear

I tried my green Midisport 2x2 with miditest on Windows 7, latency was about 5-6ms I think. My Edirol 1x1 manages 1-2ms, and that's without the special Roland driver. Excellent for USB.

These recent MIDI interfaces which advertise "perfect timing", I think some are using the Ploytec chips. MIDItech have a new 16x16 one. Midiface 16x16 - Miditech . I wonder how well that works. Anyone got a Midiface 4x4 or 8x8 ?

Tie seem to be German, like MIDItech and Ploytec.

Quote:
TIE manufactures top-quality audio equipment and offers its customers the best possible service. Developed in Germany, the range offers all manner of products, both for recording in the studio as well as at home.
TIE Products EN
Old 16th March 2019
Lives for gear

I got the small 1-in-1-out version as a spare interface. No problems with it but you want an Edirol or ESI interface if you use a Mac as these support OS X's MIDI time-stamping.
The TIE is just not good enough to be your main MIDI interface.

Someone mentioned Bluetooth...Bluetooth should be switched off on your computer if using MIDI interfaces. Any Bluetooth MIDI gear is landfill material and its manufacturers should go bankrupt and be laughed at.
Old 16th March 2019
Lives for gear

hold fire on that, then.
ports were labelled wrong way round?

had been thinking of a standalone previously. was it midisport?
i think there was an 8in/8out programmable patchbay, that can operate with or without computer.
don't know if that offered multiple midi buses. would be useful.
Old 16th March 2019
Old 16th March 2019
Gear Nut

the Miditech looks good!
I like that it gets its power from USB, that was the main reason i bought
the TIE in the first place. Now i am using a very old Yamaha Midi Unit from the 80s, but it just works
Old 16th March 2019
Lives for gear
The $150 iConnectivity 4 works well for me. It's USB powered.

It's got loads of connections - 4 pair of DIN, 2 USB B, 1 USB host port, ethernet.
Old 16th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csxdy View Post
the Miditech looks good!
I like that it gets its power from USB, that was the main reason i bought
the TIE in the first place. Now i am using a very old Yamaha Midi Unit from the 80s, but it just works
but is it not the same thing as the TIE ?
not quite identical: there's no mention there of Merge.
any idea what the software bundle does?

not going to be programmable as a kind of midi patchbay is it?
that would be ideal with a product like that. (plus standalone operation...)
Old 16th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
but is it not the same thing as the TIE ?
not quite identical: there's no mention there of Merge.
any idea what the software bundle does?

not going to be programmable as a kind of midi patchbay is it?
that would be ideal with a product like that. (plus standalone operation...)
In my studio i have an Akai Midi patchbay, also from the 80s. These things can be bought for next to nothing if you are willing to look around and buying old stuff
Of course it has no Usb, I go from my audio interface midi out to the patchbays midi in. Works flawless. 80s quality
Old 16th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csxdy View Post
In my studio i have an Akai Midi patchbay, also from the 80s. These things can be bought for next to nothing if you are willing to look around and buying old stuff
Of course it has no Usb, I go from my audio interface midi out to the patchbays midi in. Works flawless. 80s quality
i had a DMC MX8 programmable but didn't feel like programming it :-)
did pretty much anything i'd want and more, filtering, re-channelizing etc
but it was just that 2x16 lcd. i'd like something more lightweight, ideally, with easier setup via computer - i think some old MOTUs do what i want.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Tie 4i4o problem

Hello everyone.

I hope someone can help me with my problem, i am trying to connect 4 Korg synths./Korg triton clasic/Wavestation Ex/M1/and a 01/Wfd. but my DAW see only a 2i2o divice?? Also i cant figure out the manual how to connect all synths. I connect the synhs now out to out and in to in from each synth to the Tie. but i can only get 2 synths to work in my DAW.
I hope anyone can help me.

Thanks already, Arnold.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search