The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why there's so little interest around here in keyboards? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Why there's so little interest around here in keyboards?

Hi all!

I've seen that nearly ALL the topics that raise interest are synths, synths, and more synths. And then, all related: drum machines, softwares, etc

But there's virtually nothing about keyboards

Why?

No interest in electronic pianos? organs? stage pianos/keyboards? music workstations? etc
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Getting my seat early.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponkine View Post
Hi all!

I've seen that nearly ALL the topics that raise interest are synths, synths, and more synths. And then, all related: drum machines, softwares, etc

Why?

No interest in electronic pianos? organs? stage pianos/keyboards? music workstations? etc
Because what is primarily interesting about electronic music is that it offers its creators the ability to sculpt sound.

This is historically what marks out the important milestones of innovation in electronic music across the board, from academy based electroacoustic music to EDM or techno, and indeed in the design of new instruments.

The first electronic synths did not have keyboards, and many still don’t. Synths and samplers instead offer unprecedented scope for exploring timbre, texture and rhythm ahead of pitch relationships, which is a hallmark of innovation in music in the 20th Century. Case closed.

Last edited by Praxisaxis; 6 days ago at 07:39 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Oh yes, yes, we like organs ..... yes .....

Why there's so little interest around here in keyboards?-ah-ha-...gif
Attached Thumbnails
Why there's so little interest around here in keyboards?-ah-ha-...gif  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

In addition to my earlier comment: The OPs question is perhaps rhetorical, standing in for this statement or something like it: “there are too few legitimate, well-trained instrumentalist around here, and I can tell because of how much they go on about synths.”

If this is true, see my initial comment. Synths (and related equipment like samplers and experimental audio software) provide a path for deep exploration of sound itself. Most contributors here are at least mildly curious about that (or absolutely enthralled). Many use a keyboard as nothing more than a utility for creating in this way; a number of others (me included) are grateful for keys on synths because we can bring together our instrumental training with our will to explore electronic music. But very few who visit this site regularly come here mainly to discuss keyboard practice or performance ahead of electronic music making. So if I’m right about the OP making some kind of cloaked assertion about keyboard abilities, then it is fundamentally a categorical error.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well it's a forum for electronic music and production and that doesn't use those instruments really
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Keyboard markets and synthesizer markets are entirely different. I do NOT play C major chords.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hi all!

Why?

Actually, the musicians who play keyboards are here (hi there), we just don't usually engage in the "why is this desktop thingy with all these knobs so awesome," "I know nothing about music, so which $5,000 microphone should I buy?" or "check out this track I mixed entirely with my butt cheeks", which seems to be the lion's share of what you're reading.

GS is a place for users of all skill levels, experience, expertise and tastes in music.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:

Why?

If you ask a specific question, perhaps related to a particular instrument or type of instrument, you may find people chipping in.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
This forum has more engineers than players. Real players are out playing. Engineers get to go home. Often engineering is not there main gig.

Musicianship on average is lower than it was in musicians 80 years ago. People don't play as many gigs.

I know people I call Knob twidlers, not really a keyboard player, but they have cool synths!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I've got to say this thread has hit the nail on the head. I just got this desktop thing that has so many cool knobs and I'm playing with them right now not quite sure what they do but they are for sure cool rad. I know I need a microphone but I don't know if I should spend $5,000 on it what do you guys think? Also check out my rad mix that I've done entirely using my butt cheeks it's a new method I've learned about here on gearslutz. Although I can't play a lick of piano I sure know how to make them beats rock thanks to my fellow gearslutz. Why do I need organs?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
I just got this desktop thing that has so many cool knobs and I'm playing with them right now not quite sure what they do but they are for sure cool rad.
You forgot to call yourself a "sound designer".
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The forum name is "eletronic music instruments and music production" not "keyboards", we call that kind of keyboard you like "romplers" and generally looked down because their sound design capabilities are almost non existent, basically keyboards for inferior life forms who don't know what an OSC or Filter or Envelope are.

Also, most people looking for those kind of sounds use software which far superior to romplers.

pffff keyboards... is like what boring people uses.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Keyboards are so dated, get with the program man
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

if you need keys you could plug them into almost all synthesizers, as well as organ and piano modules, i'd love a roland mks 20 piano module but gosh they've gotten so expensive now never mind

workstations often don't have the best synthesis/fx engines and can be quite cumbersome to use compared to other methods of sequencing a song, you usually could use the workstation to sequence other gear too to bring more synthesis/fx back into it

it all depends really, lots of tools to choose from and mix and match together, i don't think there's truly a wrong or right way
Old 1 week ago
Quote:

Excluding this sub-forum, my experience is the opposite of this! My day job is with conventions and large hotels. I have met a lot of bands, keyboardists, audio-visual techs (most at my work are drummers and guitarists), etc. 99% of these people have no interest in synthesis, sampling, and sound design. All they care about are organs, pianos, and electric pianos. Yet, they want to play covers of songs that have cool synth sounds in them.

When you look at workstation sales, piano and organ sounds are the driving factor. First thing I did with my Korg Kronos was to off-load the big 4 gig pianos (German, Japanese, etc.) and load in my custom and 3rd party samples. I can stream around 20 gigs of user samples, so the idea of having 12 gigs used up by extra pianos does not sit with me. Pianos already exist in the ROM and EXs1 sounds sets.

It's funny to hear people complaining about not having enough program banks. Meanwhile, I have plenty of room. When I make new sounds, I usually save them in piano and organ slots that I don't use. There are hundreds!

That's not to say that I don't use piano sounds, as I do quite a bit. But, the main reason I'm on this forum is to read/write about synthesis and sampling.

Next purchase for me is the UB-XA. I'm fascinated by the Quantum. Intrigued by the Moog One and Prophet X. I think the OB6 sounds cool. Love hearing Omega and Code 8 demos. Lot's of interesting sounds.

I think it's funny when "Rock" people say that electronic is not "real" music. Imagine Foreigner's "Juke Box Hero" or "Urgent" without the synths, or Rush's "Tom Sawyer" without the sweep, or a Cars song without an Oberheim riff or sync stab!. A lot of people aren't thinking "synths" when they hear that stuff, yet they gravitate to the sound, without realizing why.

Many hit songs use a signature synth sound to get them going. The synth lead into Billy Idol's "Rebel Yell" or just about any Lady Gaga hit.

A Montage, a Kronos, a Forte' - I see people grabbing this boards and have no idea how to go into program mode and tweak. They don't know how to load a sample. They're too afraid to over-write a factory preset. They want to make songs, yet they have no idea how to create a signature sound or a sonic hook. I guess they don't really think about that part of it, yet that is what attracts me to certain songs.

My point is that synths and sampling are an ocean of timbres, both vintage and not yet heard. I've heard a piano. Love it, but I already know it.

Back in the 70's, when my sister got the piano lessons, I was opening up the cabinet and scraping coins across the strings. I always wanted to hear a different application to something.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I've seen that nearly ALL the topics that raise interest are synths, synths, and more synths.
There are other keyboard-centric forums to choose from for pianos, organs, and such - but I think the bigger inferred question is this: Why is this forum supposedly about electronic music production so obsessed with vintage analog synthesizers and their reissues? And to that I have no answer...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

This is now the official thread for people who dislike any combination of: sound design, synthesis, sampling, audio, engineering, knobs, electronic music, electronic music producers, timbre as a musical focus (and so on), but still really want to join in an electronic music forum...for some... reason...
Mods pls change thread title to something more appropriate thnx.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

a Clavinet D6 through a couple of moogerfoogers would probably run you up around 4 grand. that probably doesn't help
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
The forum name is "electronic music instruments and music production" not "keyboards", we call that kind of keyboard you like "romplers" and generally looked down because their sound design capabilities are almost non existent, basically keyboards for inferior life forms who don't know what an OSC or Filter or Envelope are.

Also, most people looking for those kind of sounds use software which far superior to romplers.

pffff keyboards... is like what boring people uses.
And yet the icon representing this forum is a keyboard. Hmmm?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryDelmarva View Post
Well it's a forum for electronic music and production and that doesn't use those instruments really
The forum is "Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production." Those are not precisely clear terms; they could be interpreted as meaning:

Musical instruments that are electronic or instruments that make electronic music...and...musical production techniques that are electronic or production techniques for electronic music.

Digital pianos, electronic organs, romplers and workstations, etc. very definitely fall into the first of each pair of options, and maybe rather less so in the second. I'm not entirely sure why the second is more popular here, but I doubt there's any grand conspiracy or anything.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddskins View Post
nobody really remembers what happened in the old electronic instrument wars. there were a series of devastating invasions and all idols were destroyed. some time after that unknown groups began to appear from the underworld and ravaged the few remaining priestly idols of what is now quietly mentioned, as the ancient ones. but there is still a legend that one day they will return again. armed and militant.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are you being funny on purpose?

Electronic instruments, for the most part, had little to do with keyboards in their early development. Since then there has been a clear emphasis on the role of synths and electronic instruments, and it is beyond being mere keyboards. I’m glad to be stating this, what with this being a forum about these very instruments, but it is stating the obvious. This, and my earlier replies basically sum the matter up. If it’s not your thing, that’s cool, but don’t be so ignorant as to try to convince us the forum should be about anything else .
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
nobody really remembers what happened in the old electronic instrument wars. there were a series of devastating invasions and all idols were destroyed. some time after that unknown groups began to appear from the underworld and ravaged the few remaining priestly idols of what is now quietly mentioned, as the ancient ones. but there is still a legend that one day they will return again. armed and militant.
I remember.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I remember.
Muser nods somberly
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It's rather comical that people think a keyboard or a rompler is somehow not an electronic instrument What else is it? An acoustic instrument? Brass? Woodwind? Stringed?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewE View Post
Digital pianos, electronic organs, romplers and workstations, etc. very definitely fall into the first of each pair of options, and maybe rather less so in the second. I'm not entirely sure why the second is more popular here, but I doubt there's any grand conspiracy or anything.
We can start as many threads about electric pianos, stage pianos, workstations, etc, etc, as we please. As far as I know literally nobody has complained about that on gearslutz .

Instead, the OP seems to be either:
a) asking for us to tone down the topics about electronic instruments more broadly. Well, that's just silly and is not going to happen

b) rhetorically cloaking an assertion that people aren't as good at keyboard anymore (or something along those lines), as I said in an earlier post. This is equally ignorant, probably innaccurate, and in any case barely suitable as a thread topic.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
It's rather comical that people think a keyboard or a rompler is somehow not an electronic instrument
It's comical that literally nobody here, or anywhere else as far as I can establish, has ever said that an (electronic) keyboard or a rompler is not electronic.

Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

people do still have discussions about them. it just happens infrequently and most of it happened quite a while back now I guess. I think even electro mechanical gear appears as and when. I don't think there are any stipulations against it. unless there's a specific other place that happens.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search