The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What should Waldorf put in a Blofeld 2? Monitor Controllers
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

What should Waldorf put in a Blofeld 2?

I think it's high time Waldorf considered revisiting the Blofeld. It's had a great run but I recently sold mine because it wasn't quite up to snuff and it became eclipsed by any decent plugin.

So I was of thinking ways they could make the Blofeld something new and exciting.

A couple thoughts:
1) Continue to support samples - but have audio input for recording samples. This would be the BIG feature that would change the game. You could do all sorts of crazy stuff if you could just sample directly into the machine and start building compositions out of audio samples.

2) Instead of just a wavetable oscillator have a multi-oscillator capable of all sorts of fun algorithms, like the Mutable Braids/Plaits. This one is debatable because it's arguable that the Blofeld oscillator already can do all the crazy things you'd want to do. It would just be nice to see some like 4 operator FM modules or Casio CZ style phase distortion.

3) A 16-track sequencer. I think this would not only make the Blofeld more like a little workstation but it would also put pressure on Waldorf to make sure that voice count actually holds up under duress with lots of timbres and stuff (which the original Blofeld does not).

4) 60hz HD display, could be OLED or something. Full color, fast (like the OP-1). Perhaps a REALLY cool Fairlight/PPG Waveterm style interface where everything is like a black background with green 3D vector graphics of the waveform. A high frame rate is a must.

5) Better overall vintage emulations. Make the PPG filter sound even more authentic, perhaps allow the samples to have that nice lo-fi PPG Waveterm sound to them.

6) Classic Waldorf BIG knob with some kind of bright garish color. Perhaps a numeric keypad with the classic PPG style keys. They could make it blue and have the classic PPG look to the machine, but that probably wouldn't go over very well. I'd like it but other people probably wouldn't

Anyway, just some thoughts.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I think most people realize it's a great synth already, I'd argue that a Blofeld 2 should be:

* new SoC. Move away from the 56K derived DSP to a modern ARM that has the horsepower to fix some of the issues.
* proper multimode w/ more polyphony
* better effects across the board
* nicer screen (OLED)
* SD Card or USB sample loading
* a few more knobs (but not that many)
* better quality/more reliable encoders

The important things NOT to change:

* keybed
* form factor
* price
* core sound. It really does sound good.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

61 keys, I'd buy 2 of them. I've had 2 and sold both starting with the desktop and then the keyboard version. They keyed was a nice player though. at 61 keys even the old Blofeld becomes a pretty damn good analog poly substitute. Buy Don's analog patches and see.. its amazing.

Better effects

maybe the clock problems got fixed in the Quantum code? neither of my Blos would lock very well with midi clock

more polyphony

wavetable and sample loading by USB. I think a modern ARM could accomplish all of this.

I don't mind the interface, I got quite fast on it. Though I swapped my displays for white on black, much easier on the eyes.

I personally don't have the need for a multimode, though I see the usefulness in it. I never used my Blofelds that way.

The DNA was already there, just bring it into the future.

edit.. make it the PPG Blue with 32 voices/61 keys and put $999 and watch it go. seriously, 2 of them today, out the door for me.

Last edited by mrgkeys; 1 week ago at 10:39 PM.. Reason: more thoughts
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
I agree that Blofeld deservses successor, but Kyra is coming. I think 2nd Blofeld should be VST version with great and modern UI.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The most important thing is plenty more effects - all parts should have maybe 5 dedicated effect blocks, at least three.

The knobs need to be replaced with some that give you a good grip. I really don't like the current knobs.

More polyphony.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

The problem with the Blofeld 2 is that software is so good. You’d really have to make something special, and special isn’t cheap. You’re going to end up with a Quantum.
Old 1 week ago
Deleted 859c1b8
For me, anything over 4 octaves is a pass.
I run 3.5 for left hand and 4 for right.
My 5 octave Sledge is NEVER used as it is too big.

It is underpowered, but I still have 4, of which two
are used in my newly re-setup polychain.

Mine is waiting to be replaced by the new Artisan poly.
They had a good 5 year run!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If they can't get the knobs sorted, maybe they should go with sliders.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

What should Waldorf put in a Blofeld 2?

A little kitten ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Implement the little missing features of the Microwave that people seem to miss so much. More horsepower. Improved FX. A ****load of knobs. Honestly, if they just made a knobby Blofeld I'd be on it. I'd be fine if they ****canned the sample part of it. Leave the user wavetables though.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yeah all the Microwave features. Perhaps even having it be able to import Microwave presets.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

some feature where you can set a number of duplicate waveforms along with some detune spread, pan spread and phase spread.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I love the Blofeld.
It is so so good.
So good in fact that all it really needs is a built in camera, wifi, and a selfie stick connection.
I be live streaming every gig and bitsiz be like dang dog you a boss.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
some feature where you can set a number of duplicate waveforms along with some detune spread, pan spread and phase spread.
Yeah like the U-He Hive.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post
Yeah like the U-He Hive.
yeah software tends to utilize it. it's really handy for quite a few reasons.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
Except for the phase spread it already does that with unison.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
Except for the phase spread it already does that with unison.
cool. one down two to go
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I think what's lacking in the original Blofeld isn't its on-paper features, its how those features play out in practice. For those reasons, IMO the most important improvements would be:
1) Fix all the OS bugs, so everything works properly and as intended.

2) Raise the polyphony; things shouldn't dip below 6 voices so easily.

3) Streamline the menus to be closer to P12 module/Ambika/ESQ-1. There should be a button for every section and I shouldn't have to go to EG1 then scroll through 20 pages to get to EG4, or go to Filter 1 and scroll backwards to reach the mixer.
Beyond that, everyone will have their own personal preferences regarding what to add/improve. IMO a Sledge-like knob-per-function edition really shouldn't be so unthinkable. If there's going to be sample playback, it should come on the module versions and shouldn't take 5 minutes to upload samples. It wouldn't hurt to have an extra LFO or two, more/better filter models, and so forth.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Better quality encoders and fewer OS bugs would be a good start
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Catnip
Old 1 week ago
Deleted 859c1b8
Fix the Clocked LFO would be nice!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 859c1b8 View Post
Fix the Clocked LFO would be nice!
+1000 my friend

In addition:
The arpeggio sync.
Stop denying it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
Implement the little missing features of the Microwave that people seem to miss so much. More horsepower. Improved FX. A ****load of knobs. Honestly, if they just made a knobby Blofeld I'd be on it. I'd be fine if they ****canned the sample part of it. Leave the user wavetables though.
Studiologic sledge
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guze View Post
Studiologic sledge

Sledge wouldn't work for me - doesn't generate or respond to release velocity.
I didn't check the specs on it beyond that, but if they left that off, I'd imagine there's lots of other good stuff missing too.
I like the Blofeld as it is - other than the wonky knobs.
Old 1 week ago
if some sort of a Blo2 was to come, i suppose more attention to sampling support, bigger ram/flash-rom whatever. and obviously user wavetable support. as for user interface: more knobs, much more knobs. big OLED display. two versions: 4oct keys and tilted 19inch desktop version. Blo keybed was underwhelming. same with Q and XT. please use semi weighted fatar that was on Remote SL mkII or similar.

that said, i'd probably be more interested in a product that trickles some of Quantum tech or synthesis.

let's say again 4oct and desktop version, featuring granular synthesis and sampling from Qu. 16 voices, expandable to 32. great set of digital filters. lot of knobs, or ideally long throw sliders - i realized this is perfect control for setting granular parameters, while using Tasty Chips GR-1.

and for god's sake hire somebody else to do your effects, or licence t.c. or access code. Waldorf effects were traditionally crap, and quantum while better still didn't stray much from that unfortunately.
Old 1 week ago
Deleted 859c1b8
No user wavetable though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guze View Post
Studiologic sledge
Old 1 week ago
Deleted 859c1b8
Release velocity is not on the Sledge.
it has no mod matrix. (except for the buttons at front)
No second filter.
But lots of stuff can be hacked on the Sledge via cc.
Alas, I have had to keep my Sledge in perma storage
since November 2016, due to no room for a behemoth 5 octave keybed.

Sledge has its own issues, such as MIDI CLOCK set to external will
cause all sorts of grief, like no layers of splits, INIT patch random bug.
Most bugs are "cured" if Clock set to Auto or Internal, but
the Sledge inherits concerns of its own.

anyhow:
-only one filter
no mod matrix
no release velocity
stuck note for some ITB users

EDIT: If you think the Arp synch is bad on a Blofeld,
it is IMO quite a bit worse on the Sledge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by felis View Post
Sledge wouldn't work for me - doesn't generate or respond to release velocity.
I didn't check the specs on it beyond that, but if they left that off, I'd imagine there's lots of other good stuff missing too.
I like the Blofeld as it is - other than the wonky knobs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search