The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sampler Vs. MPC for drums Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sampler Vs. MPC for drums

I've got an EMU sampler and it does everything I need it to. But I'm wondering if using an MPC as a dedicated 'drum machine' would be better. I like layering 3-4 drum samples together, fooling with the levels of each, and sometimes fooling with the attack/release. Possibly even chopping the beginnings and ends too.

Currently I have to walk over to my rack to access my EMU and do everything from there. It would be more convenient to have an MPC since I can just hit a pad and test it out.

Do you think it's easier to work with drum layering and design on an MPC than it is on an EMU 4? I can do it on the EMU just fine, but maybe it's even easier on the MPC.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Which MPC?

All MPC don't have the same specs, but you can expect at least 4 sample layers, drum maps AKA programs, a low pass filter and 32/64 tracks per sequence, note repeat and no bull**** limitations when it comes to the length of a sequence like current sequencers AAAAND a song mode . All that is missing for me is an actual fill-in feature like on Roland drum machines, or I never figured out how to do that. Get a cheap MPC2000. Now yes, compared to the EMU IV there will be less synthesis capabilities, less filter types and (optional) effects are not that good. Sound wise it's the exact same converters as the S2000, so transparent. But frankly given today's offering especially on the cheap side, it still holds great value just for the fact that it has an TRUE fully featured midi sequencer, I just can't believe constructors can't even produce something equivalent to the MPC2000 for less than $5000 today...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Or you could try an MPC1000 which has all of the stated above plus more sample memory, compact flash drive, USB and JJOS
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus2 View Post
Which MPC?

All MPC don't have the same specs, but you can expect at least 4 sample layers, drum maps AKA programs, a low pass filter and 32/64 tracks per sequence, note repeat and no bull**** limitations when it comes to the length of a sequence like current sequencers AAAAND a song mode..
MPC60 only does 2 layers and has no filter.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

very easy but I dont have an EMU 4 so I can't compare

just get one of the cheap mpcs like the 2000xl
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Get an MPC Live or the Force
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It's maybe easier, but you don't need it. The E-mu can do a lot more.

The MPC Live is fantastic, I love mine, but it's more limited than the E-mus in sound-shaping capabilities. The ergonomics of the MPC are a bit better, and you can bring it to the sofa.

You know you can make E-mu presets without samples in them, right? So you can set up something with zones that match a pad controller, maybe some pre-set velocity layers if you want. Save it and re-use it with different sounds.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

partly depends if the MPC has full independent control for each of the stacked samples. I know the Roland MV doesn't. maybe the MPC has some kind of pad trigger grouping. which would be very handy. otherwise, having the ability to run the keymap of any sample over the same key also starts to equate to the same thing. that independence is usually technically superior from a programing perspective. independent pitch filters and envelopes per sample etc. so I'm not really sure what the answer is.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
partly depends if the MPC has full independent control for each of the stacked samples.
It does not.

Quote:
maybe the MPC has some kind of pad trigger grouping.
The MPC Live does, I don't know about the older ones.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by niklasni1 View Post
The MPC Live does, I don't know about the older ones.
that wouldn't be such a bad way to do it in any case. possibly faster in some ways.
plus you should be able to re group pretty easily too.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
MPC60 only does 2 layers and has no filter.
... but sounds like Fred Flintstone hitting a petrified dinosaur egg with a sabertooth tiger fang (and does have a filter).

Best
MPC
Ever.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
partly depends if the MPC has full independent control for each of the stacked samples. I know the Roland MV doesn't. maybe the MPC has some kind of pad trigger grouping. which would be very handy. otherwise, having the ability to run the keymap of any sample over the same key also starts to equate to the same thing. that independence is usually technically superior from a programing perspective. independent pitch filters and envelopes per sample etc. so I'm not really sure what the answer is.
On the MPC Live you can:
* cycle samples on a pad or randomise them
* trigger independent samples on a pad via velocity whose thresholds you can set
* trigger up to four additional pads by playing a given pad, all of which can be set up independently (eg random/cycle), thereby potentially having 20 randomised samples in five layers (for example)
* layer up to four stock effects per pad. Although this isn’t per sample on a pad, the flatten pad function is a work-around for more complex effect options on a single pad.
So although there is not fully independent control of samples on a single pad, there is a solid range of possibilities, especially considering there are 128 pads (with 4 samples per pad) per program.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
On the MPC Live you can:
* cycle samples on a pad or randomise them
* trigger independent samples on a pad via velocity whose thresholds you can set
* trigger up to four additional pads by playing a given pad, all of which can be set up independently (eg random/cycle), thereby potentially having 20 randomised samples in five layers (for example)
* layer up to four stock effects per pad. Although this isn’t per sample on a pad, the flatten pad function is a work-around for more complex effect options on a single pad.
So although there is not fully independent control of samples on a single pad, there is a solid range of possibilities, especially considering there are 128 pads (with 4 samples per pad) per program.
yeah that seems sufficiently comprehensive to me. I did notice on the Akai Z8 that when the samples were in one of the 4 zones (similar-ish architecture in some respects) the samples would be phase accurate. but if I moved one of the samples to a different keygroup, it was no longer phase accurate. triggering from the same single midi event. there was a variable introduced. not sure what other MPC's perform like but the MPC4K is the same Z engine so I'd think that one performs the same as the Z8 in that department.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'm wondering what the best way is to set up drum layering, and drum programs in general on the EMU. I forget how I have it set up, but maybe I had one hit per program and linked the programs together. Then that let me edit each program separately. Is there a better way to do it?

It might be a good idea to just buy a new damn EMU sampler. One for instruments, another one dedicated to percussion.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

not too sure about EMU's but you usually stack different keygroup layers, each containing a sample zone, assigned on the same note. then usually that keygroup independence is where all the ADSR's etc, reside. per keygroup sample assigned at the same note value. with 4 keygroups on the same note, you should get 4 sample independence. but someone with EMU knowledge might chime in.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddoggie View Post
.. (and does have a filter).
How do you access the filter?
I've never found one (i've had the akai os and now latest linn os), no one at the mpc forums knows it exists and the manual doesn't mention it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah that seems sufficiently comprehensive to me. I did notice on the Akai Z8 that when the samples were in one of the 4 zones (similar-ish architecture in some respects) the samples would be phase accurate. but if I moved one of the samples to a different keygroup, it was no longer phase accurate. triggering from the same single midi event. there was a variable introduced. not sure what other MPC's perform like but the MPC4K is the same Z engine so I'd think that one performs the same as the Z8 in that department.
I haven't formally tested the accuracy of the timings of layered samples, so I can't say if they're spot on. They're certainly close enough to spot on for my purposes.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I sampled in drums that were layered, as a part of my main drum program
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSLand View Post
I've got an EMU sampler and it does everything I need it to. But I'm wondering if using an MPC as a dedicated 'drum machine' would be better. I like layering 3-4 drum samples together, fooling with the levels of each, and sometimes fooling with the attack/release. Possibly even chopping the beginnings and ends too.

Currently I have to walk over to my rack to access my EMU and do everything from there. It would be more convenient to have an MPC since I can just hit a pad and test it out.

Do you think it's easier to work with drum layering and design on an MPC than it is on an EMU 4? I can do it on the EMU just fine, but maybe it's even easier on the MPC.
stick with what you have and know, move the emu closer to where you work.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
How do you access the filter?
I've never found one (i've had the akai os and now latest linn os), no one at the mpc forums knows it exists and the manual doesn't mention it.
You are so kind as to not call me an idiot in the usual manner so common here at GS. I was incorrect. I have been using my lovely 3000LE lately while the 60 is on the workbench and I was thinking of its filter. Sometimes I get befuddled with all the gear and combinations in my constantly evolving swirl of creative madness and see a message and think, "Nuh - uh, it do have filter" like th knucklehead I often am... Ooops - Hahahaha - thanks for being one of the good ones.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search