The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Starting over: Going 100% rackmount!
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
My first thought yes but I was trying to be polite ..

Then again thats coming from someone who hardly ever sells anything..

I just kinda force it to work Im stubborn like that.
I've just got a new Electribe Sampler and I've done more with in a week than I've done with my keyboards for a year. And coming from somebody who never sells anything, I'm eyeing the Roland to be first off the island... I'll probably take a loss on it though.

Yeah, I'm working with my inner Marie Kondo. I hope I never have to meet her in person as her name makes me laugh like a schoolboy.
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

Even though I'm mostly settled on a 50/30/20 tabletop/keyboard/rack setup, it's worth pointing out that for those of us with bad backs, a tabletop setup is better but still problematic. Deep table setups require you to stand up and bend over/reach the stuff at the back. I've found I've had to whittle things down even more so that I just have everything in arms reach or on VESA monitor stands.

(Speaking of which, the Kilpatrick Redox effects processor has VESA mounting holes by default, which is bloody genius)
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

Ergonomics and ease of use is primary just and sound ability thats why i always ask for multi timbrality in any thing new that comes out else i boycott and smear the brand. For example i really wanted to buy P08, was not multi, then wanted to buy the REV2, yet again not multi. I dont want to DAW to multitrac a single poly 16 times by mouse click i hate mouse click and menues, i want to record 16 synths in one go as we did in 1986, if i should do what everybody else says i would need 16 REV2s and that unergonomic and expensive. Tempest is neat concept and very small but UI is half arsed, but affordable, but to few voices, but no effects, but ok sounding. See? newer satisfied.
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

I prefer editing racks than doing it this way...

Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

People change underwear?

Hmmm. Still have my S-50 from the 80's. Maybe it's time.
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
One solution is to get a dog.
Thank you. That's a good suggestion.

I tried getting a cat, but he also doesn't know when to quit!

Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularOverkill View Post
Even though I'm mostly settled on a 50/30/20 tabletop/keyboard/rack setup, it's worth pointing out that for those of us with bad backs, a tabletop setup is better but still problematic. Deep table setups require you to stand up and bend over/reach the stuff at the back. I've found I've had to whittle things down even more so that I just have everything in arms reach or on VESA monitor stands.

(Speaking of which, the Kilpatrick Redox effects processor has VESA mounting holes by default, which is bloody genius)
that standing up is good physical excercise.
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
With that first image, I totally agree. I'd take a rack any day over that.

With the second image, though, it looks like nothing is hooked up and it's only a storage area. The keyboards would be taken down as needed and then put on a stand. This I would find acceptable (and is pretty much what I'm doing with my desktops).
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
You may be somewhat new-ish to Gearslutz but a lot of members around here swap out gear like its going out of style.
Yeah I know. I just don't see how you can get into a battle rhythm if you're constantly changing weapons. I'm new to electronic instruments and bought a ton of stuff the past 2 years but I researched it all pretty well and didn't have to change out much. Shrug. I guess I just hate to see synths be underappreciated.
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Thank you. That's a good suggestion.

I tried getting a cat, but he also doesn't know when to quit!

Dogs FTW - especially ones that shred.

Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Both situations are not ergonomic when you go above or below the mid line. I never understood people installing the synths near the ground or close to the ceiling. If you spend some time like 15 mins creating a patch and using the keyboard on the desk and reaching for the top rack synths it's really painful for the back and arms.
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

I make "stations" that are groupings of stuff that goes together and where everything in that group is within good ergonomic reach and ready to be tweaked and played. I try to keep them in 2ft x 2ft or 2ft x 4ft formats to better fit in the room.
Old 14th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoopicman View Post
I rarely touch my rack gear. I love the immediacy of keyboards and being able to rest my arms on them. With the racks, my arms are always in the air and I get sore in the shoulders. I don't just hook stuff up, I tweak the heck out of each thing that I use, hence very hands on.

Like you, I also have the 12D, but I also have the keyboard, so I do all my programming on that. I simply export a bank (via MIDI) to the 12D and I'm good to go.

Agreed! Honestly, I can do everything with just my Kronos. But, I like being able to grab other keyboards. I have 10 of them, but my current composing setup is 4 boards. If I'm playing a Kronos Combi or Song, I can access the different sounds from all 4 keyboards, using a MIDI Merge (4 keyboards in, and one output to the Kronos).

If I'm not MIDI merging, then I'm just playing other sounds - Virus, Boog, Deepminds. No matter what, I have 2 keyboards controlling the Kronos, so I can double key a drum note, or double key bass sounds, which makes it easy to sound like "Enjoy the Silence," for example.

When I scored, POOL PARTY MASSACRE I made 20 songs in just 2 days. That was possible because I could play a left hand arp sound, while doing a melody with my right. That formed the basis of the track, then I layed filler over it, but it meant multi-recording 2 or 3 keyboards in a single pass, then laying filler on top. I could not imagine doing this with racks, instead of keyboards, even though I'm a crappy keyboard player.

Space isn't a big issue for me, but I have all my synths in one bedroom, next to our bed. I have an old pic, HERE, that cracks people up. Good thing that my wife is cool. My kids are in all the other rooms. I could use the living room, but I don't want people touching my stuff.
I dig those 1993 CRTs.
Old 14th March 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoy View Post
Good info, not that I'm dropping $3K on a synth right now. I was impressed you can get 16 analog voices in a single rack space. Not considering them so didn't do my research on price. I've been an OB fan ever since I heard a buddy's OB-8 long ago. Gonna wait for the UB-XA.... keyboard. That's one synth I would do performance tweaking with. I have 3 keyboards right now (my Monologue doesn't count) which is plenty and wanna use racks for the rest. Eurorack is a great option for the monos but polys are few. Yay for the DM12D.
whoever is listing those devices has been listing them for weeks and has been doing so all over the southwest and on ebay as well. one pops up in Yuma, the other Vegas, the next Phoenix... they also had a VX600, a waldorf Q, and other rarities. Entire thing reeked of scam.
Old 14th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandomonium View Post
Not the same as tactile controls of course, but Deckard's Dream can be remotely controlled with a patch editor I wrote . . . Works great with a touch-screen monitor as it also includes a pitch ribbon . . .

Didn't know you made this. Looks GREAT! That is ultra-cool! Yes, I happen to have a 24" all-in-one touchscreen PC right in the middle of my set up (main DAW is 27" iMac on other side of room). This alone might push me over the edge!
Old 14th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowkast View Post
The amount of gear swapping out/in that some of you do seems insane to me . . .
Yes, I returned my Rev2 twice, so shoot me. But other than that, the ONLY piece of gear I think I've ever sold (reluctantly, at that) was my enormous Fantom G8, and it was only because I just didn't have the space. Other than that, I haven't turned over any gear.

The only "mistake," in light of this new perspective, is getting a VirusTI Polar keyboard back in 2007 instead of the rack-mountable desktop. But then, the 37-key Polar has such a great keybed, and the synth is so compact, it's actually fine. It sits right next to my iMac and serves as my primary controller for macOS AUs.

But like zerocrossing said, "You can't go back." Had the DD and Xerxes been shipping when I got back into the market, I may have opted for those instead of the DSIs I bought, but now that I have them, it's really hard to give them up.
Old 14th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:

Yeah, I’m already noticing that a second row back on a table is already bad. I’m going to sell my Tempest so I can put something in its spot that I can also control with software.
Old 14th March 2019
Gear Guru

I kinda boiled my ergonomic problems down to about few things. I want to be able to sit down or stand up on a dime and have little to nothing significantly change in my sound stage in any way which is annoying or can’t be addresses easily. such as an issue like turning side on to the speakers while trying to make detailed tweaks. the fidelity these days often means the road from start to end includes a shed load of tweaking and so the closer the soundstage of the track gets to your liking the more important those small differences become.

but I also need to easily and quickly move to any other important position and be able to pull some kind of speaker to that position quickly and easily. or be able to unhook headphones quickly and easily as well. so I pay close attention to solving those issues. so rather than have loads of speakers and amps to solve that issue, I just use a couple of small speakers and concentrate on a mounting solution for those speakers. it turns out to be way easier than having loads of amps and speakers. I’d say one of the important upshots is that that way, it makes it far less important what kind of setup you use or what positions they are in. because your listening condition can be made consistent for all that tweaking behavior.
Old 14th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
Yes, I returned my Rev2 twice, so shoot me. But other than that, the ONLY piece of gear I think I've ever sold (reluctantly, at that) was my enormous Fantom G8, and it was only because I just didn't have the space. Other than that, I haven't turned over any gear.

Did you not buy a Prophet X, return it, then state that you were considering buying another Prophet X a few weeks later?
Old 14th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I dig those 1993 CRTs.
That picture is from 2006, hence the old monitors. It was easier to link to a picture already on my site, than to take a new one, but for you.... Here is the 2019 version.

I tried to take it from a similar angle, standing on the bed with the dog. As you can see the Tritons are gone, the CRTs are gone, etc. But somehow it's the same old feel.

Two of my kids are not far from moving out. This should be in its own room, soon.

Quote:
Wow! You are my new Gearslutz hero! That Oasys still looks bad-ass! Impressive work! I'm also a filmmaker, so the plan was always to attempt at creating some of my own scores.
Well, you have more synth firepower than most. I think you'll have a blast. Thanks for the kind words, too!
Old 14th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Had the DD and Xerxes been shipping when I got back into the market, I may have opted for those instead of the DSIs I bought, but now that I have them, it's really hard to give them up.
Black corp stuff really works great with a proper polyphonic aftertouch keyboard, such as a Midiboard. You can get some amazing natural expressions out of that. And you can pile on some rack units to the top shelf keeping everything at arm's reach.

Old 14th March 2019
Quote:
I've found I've had to whittle things down even more so that I just have everything in arms reach or on VESA monitor stands . . .
Yes, I think VESA-mounts are the shizz! I tried to find a VESA-mount all-in-one PC to host my PC-only VSTs, but ended up with a really nice all-in-one, but non-VESA mountable touchscreen PC instead. I have a couple of other specialized mounts, too. Creative use of VESA-equipped arms, laptop stands, keyboard drawers, etc., can make for very ergonomic, and compact solutions for our applications.

Quote:
Did you not buy a Prophet X, return it, then state that you were considering buying another Prophet X a few weeks later?
I returned my first Prophet X for a number of reasons: There was a small cosmetic defect on the front panel and it repeatedly failed to update via .BIN file without bricking. Also, at the time, I viewed its purchase as an opportunity cost of not being able to buy a DD or Quantum.

As time passed, I realized the X was something I missed and was perhaps a better fit, so I patiently waited for B-stock deal. A few months later, a "B-stock" unit popped up (again, brand new) for hundreds less—another win!
Old 14th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Black corp stuff really works great with a proper polyphonic aftertouch keyboard, such as a Midiboard.
That looks great. Such an arrangement would totally work for me. I'm not against rack synths per se, I just need them to be positioned in such a way that I have comfortable access while playing and/or programming them--which means dedicating prime space to them and sacrificing some of their convenience.

Btw is that a Doepfer ribbon controller? If so, hang on to it! They've stopped making them due to a shortage of parts. It's an excellent ribbon controller--much better than the one on my Voyager XL.
Old 14th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Something to think about while at the dentists I reckon

Quote:
... Creative use of VESA-equipped arms, laptop stands, keyboard drawers, etc., can make for very ergonomic, and compact solutions for our applications.

Old 14th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoopicman View Post
That picture is from 2006, hence the old monitors. It was easier to link to a picture already on my site, than to take a new one, but for you.... Here is the 2019 version.

I tried to take it from a similar angle, standing on the bed with the dog. As you can see the Tritons are gone, the CRTs are gone, etc. But somehow it's the same old feel.

Two of my kids are not far from moving out. This should be in its own room, soon.
The rug keeps it vintage.

Seriously though, as much as I love gear, that much gear would give me a panic attack. The younger me would have been OK with it, but as I get on in years, I find myself more affected by a lot of stuff... and yet I love buying new gear... it’s a problem. At least once a year I think, “Maybe I should just get something like a Prophet X or Quantum and be happy...” and then I don’t.
Old 14th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
The rug keeps it vintage.
Well, that and the Fax, Photo & Copier box which would appear to have been in the same corner for at least 13 years.

But you know what they say: if it ain't broke, why fix it?
Old 14th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yeah I know. I just don't see how you can get into a battle rhythm if you're constantly changing weapons. I'm new to electronic instruments and bought a ton of stuff the past 2 years but I researched it all pretty well and didn't have to change out much. Shrug. I guess I just hate to see synths be underappreciated.
I think maybe your lack of long term experience with electronic instruments is skewing your thinking a little. Think of it like cars. You can go into any car rental place and yet get into any one of them and just drive. Once you get all the particular features, it’s just a matter of finding them and adjusting to how they’re implemented. Of course, there are outliers, like additive synthesis, DX style FM, and weird stuff like the Neuron or odd Eurorack modules, but the majority of synths use the same dozen or so features in somewhat different configurations.

Recently I sold my Neptune 2 and Bass Station 2 and bought a Dominion 1 to replace them. It’s actually a bit of a weird interface and it is a lot deeper than either synth it replaced, so I had to run though the manual, but it wasn’t like some month long learning curve to get comfortable with it. Am I as intimate with it as I was with its replacements? No, but the bonus there is, I stumble upon things that I might not have with a synth that I’m super intimate with. Trust me, I kept a few things like my ATC-X that I’ve had for a really long time (Started with an ATC-1 about a decade ago) because having an old friend is also beneficial.

It’s like my friend Arya says, “ya stick’m with the pointy end.”
Old 14th March 2019
Quote:

I actually really like that metal shelving unit. Even if they're all not playable, it's still a great way to store synths. There's a retail shelving company called Rakks which makes angled shelves with lips (below) that I may look into getting someday. Also, anyone who makes magazine racks may service as well.

Rakks display shelving.

Unfortunately, I have to wall-mount everything. I don't have any floor-space left since my whole back wall is full of Marshall 4x12 cabs. I've temporarily stacked my P6/OB-6 keyboards using a weighted-down sheet of steel over the left-most cab. I may just drill-in some brackets into the cabinet and mount some Melamine board onto it to make a more permanent shelf for my P6 there:

Old 14th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Btw is that a Doepfer ribbon controller? If so, hang on to it! They've stopped making them due to a shortage of parts. It's an excellent ribbon controller--much better than the one on my Voyager XL.
Yes, I got it just as they ended production. It works very well, even though it doesn't have relative pitch like CS-80. But I've marked the center point as you can see in the picture so I know where to land my finger. Works great!
Old 14th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, I got it just as they ended production. It works very well, even though it doesn't have relative pitch like CS-80. But I've marked the center point as you can see in the picture so I know where to land my finger. Works great!
Is yours the MIDI/CV version or only the CV version? Because there's a relative pitch setting on the MIDI version. It might not work exactly like a CS-80, but it would be close, I think.

You would set the parameter 2-1 Midi event to Note&pitch bend relative.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search