The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog matriarch
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangrilla View Post
Hey sorry it took me a bit to follow up on this but some others suggested I go MIDI DIN instead of USB Midi. So I ordered some, waited a bit and then work got busy.

Now just able to test it, and I'm still having the problem in Logic. I've re-updated the firmware on my Matriarch. I've updated the latest logic. I'm set up my my interface with the midi cables. In logic, I've set up an external instrument that is set up properly (I believe - I get audio into the daw and midi information, the midi light on the back fo the matriarch blinks when I play it and the clock is synched to the daw).

But I still get the issue that the arpeggiator doesn't work properly when I have the hold button on. It works as expected when Hold is not pressed. But when Hold is on, if I play a C chord, with FW/BW direction and 2 octaves, I only get C-E-G over and over again (so forward, not FW/BW) in a single octave. If I release the chord, the arpeggiation doesn't continue playing, just a single note (I believe the last note that played) sustains indefinitely.

Once I close logic, this behavior stops and the arpeggiator works normally.

Another piece that's weird - I also have a keystep, which can play the Matriarch through the Logic external instrument. If I use the keystep, play a chord on it and hit hold, it plays the Matriarch and works as I would expect. I did not have the Keystep plugged in when I was testing earlier. I am so baffled.

Anyone have any clue? I have to believe it's not a firmware issue, since I've updated it again and you all don't have this issue. I don't think it's a hardware issue, since it works normally when I don't have it connected as an external instrument in Logic. I think it has to be a logic setting but I'm not experienced enough in Midi to really know what most of the midi settings in logic even do.
I believe it is a midi loop. I just tested and was able to duplicate the behavior by sending the midi back to the Matriarch in a loop.

To verify - just pull out the midi in cable. If that works, that is what the problem is.

To correct - I don't know Logic - but look for a setting labeled "midi thru" and try disabling that.

John
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgale View Post
Hi everyone,

Just got my Matriarch a few days and I am loving it. Awesome sound and even the color scheme is starting to grow on me!

I noticed an issue with mult trigger where if I play a lot of notes – the filter envelope seems to get stuck at max sustain and the filter env no longer gets re-triggered. I wanted to see if this was a known issue and had already been identified to Moog.

To recreate:

- Filter env - attack = 0, decay = 7, release = 7, sustain = 3rd line
- Amp env – attack = 0, decay = 0, release = 7, sustain = max
- Set the filter to lp/lp, lower the cutoff, and set the env amount high enough to here the envelope open and then close
- Set Mult Trigger = on

In Paraphony = 1 – play slow and it works fine – then play a lot of notes quickly and the filter env seems to stop retriggering and is stuck at max sustain.

In Parphony = 4 – hold a low note and play a few 3 note stabs on top and it works fine – then play a bunch of 3 note stabs quickly and the filter env seems to get stuck at max sustain.

To correct you need to let all of the notes ring out and then it resets the filter envelope. It seems to work fine when mult trigger is off.

John
I was able to get someone to verify this behavior on the Moog Forum and submitted to Moog technical support. Hopefully they correct this in the next firmware update!

John
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I believe it is a midi loop. I just tested and was able to duplicate the behavior by sending the midi back to the Matriarch in a loop.

To verify - just pull out the midi in cable. If that works, that is what the problem is.

To correct - I don't know Logic - but look for a setting labeled "midi thru" and try disabling that.

John
The only setting I can find is Sysex with Midi Thru Function, which was already unclicked. It then has a dropdown bar beneath it with four options: No Output, (Folder), Input Notes, and Midi Click. Tried switching between them and didn't notice any difference. Will keep looking.

ETA: I'm coming to think that this is just the "functionality" of Logic Pro... In that I send a midi signal from the Matriarch into logic and it sends it back to the Matriarch to play the note again. This would make sense if I were using a different midi controller like my Arturia to control the midi during recording... But it seems so ass backwards that there isn't a way to turn off sending midi notes back to the Matriarch during recording and have them only send during playback.

Last edited by mangrilla; 1 week ago at 03:39 AM.. Reason: Read More
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatisvalis View Post
I believe pitch is normalized left to right, so pitch in at OsC 3 should go to OsC 4 as well, without the need to use a mult.
Yeah, that should work fine.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
One other comment about ^that patch^, since apparently it isn’t a totally dead topic:

What I’ve found out since posting the original recipe is that it’s a good idea to turn the keyboard back on in the Global Settings (Global 1-7, key D0) before powering down, if you intend to leave the patch in place to use when you power up again.

After you power up again, tap a key. Don’t worry if the tuning seems strange across the octaves. Now turn the keyboard off again (Global 1-7, key C0), and your sequencer and keyboard should play their separate oscs with normal tuning.

(If you just leave the keyboard off through power down and power up, with this patch set up, the oscs seem to default to some very low frequency, for whatever reason.)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangrilla View Post
The only setting I can find is Sysex with Midi Thru Function, which was already unclicked. It then has a dropdown bar beneath it with four options: No Output, (Folder), Input Notes, and Midi Click. Tried switching between them and didn't notice any difference. Will keep looking.

ETA: I'm coming to think that this is just the "functionality" of Logic Pro... In that I send a midi signal from the Matriarch into logic and it sends it back to the Matriarch to play the note again. This would make sense if I were using a different midi controller like my Arturia to control the midi during recording... But it seems so ass backwards that there isn't a way to turn off sending midi notes back to the Matriarch during recording and have them only send during playback.
You can try this: https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/v...c.php?t=129585

Did you first try to prove that it is a midi loop issue by removing one of the midi cables?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I just purchased a Moog Matriarch and I love it!

Was wondering if the patch settings were available from the Moog Matriarch marketing video below? Specifically, "Four Truths" at 4:04? Was hoping I could try to recreate on my own. Thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ3u7lv-lUw&t=319s

Thanks
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
You can try this: https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/v...c.php?t=129585

Did you first try to prove that it is a midi loop issue by removing one of the midi cables?
When I pulled out the midi in into my matriarch, the arp did work as expected.

I tried following those directions, but in the third and fourth step, it says there should be a dropdown with 17 objects with the name of your external synth instruments. That's not the case for me. All I have to select from are No Output, Folder, Midi Notes, and Input Click. When I tried those options, nothing changed.

Last edited by mangrilla; 1 week ago at 02:25 AM.. Reason: Clarified response
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Van Excel View Post

Was wondering if the patch settings were available from the Moog Matriarch marketing video below? Specifically, "Four Truths" at 4:04? Was hoping I could try to recreate on my own. Thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ3u7lv-lUw&t=319s

Thanks
I'd start with sawtooths, lowpass filter with no resonance and a lowish cutoff with a slow attack and decay on the filter envelope. 4 note paraphonic mode. Multi trigger off.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick van excel

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz
I'd start with sawtooths, lowpass filter with no resonance and a lowish cutoff with a slow attack and decay on the filter envelope. 4 note paraphonic mode. Multi trigger off.
To which I would add: You may want to also experiment with your oscillator levels in the mixer—cranking them can drive the filter into a less clean sound, and I’m thinking maybe that’s what Ms. Strother is doing, in a subtle way. (Big Paris Strother fan here.)

Here’s what’s being discussed—at 4:04:

Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Been drooling over a Matriarch for weeks, but can't quite pull the trigger. Help me decide -

I currently have a Virus TI Keyboard which I kinda hate because of all the menu diving. I just sold my Juno-60 (for 4x what I paid for it), so now I'm missing that analog sound. And I've always wanted a Moog for that thick, dirty sound. I'm just an enthusiast who wishes he was in an electropop band, so these are just expensive toys for me.

Been curious about diving into the world of modular gear, but too scared. Would the Matriarch be a good introduction to the modular world? Could the Matriarch one day be the hub of my modular system?

And will I lose my mind not having patch memory? I'm actually kinda excited about it - I might finally learn subtractive synthesis instead of adjusting existing presets.

What other semi-modular synths should I look at similar to the Matriarch? I've had my eyes on the Grandmother, Sub 37, and Poly D as well. Would you rather have a Poly D & a Grandmother - or use that same money on the Matriarch?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

I'd take the Matriarch over the PolyD / Grandmother combo any day. No contest. The PolyD, as far as I can tell, really doesn't have a lot of cv possibilities either if you want to get into modular. It might be a response to the Matriarch, but it's definitely not equal.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pschwar View Post
Been drooling over a Matriarch for weeks, but can't quite pull the trigger. Help me decide -

I currently have a Virus TI Keyboard which I kinda hate because of all the menu diving. I just sold my Juno-60 (for 4x what I paid for it), so now I'm missing that analog sound. And I've always wanted a Moog for that thick, dirty sound. I'm just an enthusiast who wishes he was in an electropop band, so these are just expensive toys for me.

Been curious about diving into the world of modular gear, but too scared. Would the Matriarch be a good introduction to the modular world? Could the Matriarch one day be the hub of my modular system?

And will I lose my mind not having patch memory? I'm actually kinda excited about it - I might finally learn subtractive synthesis instead of adjusting existing presets.

What other semi-modular synths should I look at similar to the Matriarch? I've had my eyes on the Grandmother, Sub 37, and Poly D as well. Would you rather have a Poly D & a Grandmother - or use that same money on the Matriarch?

If you want fat, both raw and creamy analogue sounds then definitely get the Matriarch. I listened to demo clips and vids of pretty much everything that is currently sold in stores, and also a lot of older synths. In my opinion the Matriarch definitely sounded the greatest, possibly the best synth that the 21st century has yet brought us. So it was an easy choice for me, but that's just my humble opinion. Also the built-in stereo delay sounds absolutely pingponging magnificent.

If you just want to mess with analogue semi-modular without caring about top tier sound, then maybe buy a bunch of Behringer modules etc. That way you can have a huge system for the price of one Matriarch.

So, the classic question of quality or quantity. Although fortunately the choice doesn't have to be final, since you can always change your mind later and sell the one(s) you bought first and then buy the other one. Or just buy all the choices at once and worry about buying food later.

Presets are just an obstacle blocking your creativity, and browsing through presets easily ends up taking more time than actually making music. That's what I've noticed at least. Also who needs digital patch memory, when you can just use your analogue memory AKA brains.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:

I bought my Matriarch three months ago and it has been my introduction to modular and for me it has been great. And I think that it's great to use as a Eurorack hub that you can expand. I will soon buy a Eurorack case and start to expand my system. I am not really into going only modular but having a semi modular synth with this amount of patch points is great if you want to integrate Eurorack modules to it.

I am used to both having synths with patch memory and without and that's a great feature that's super handy when you produce music. There are sometimes times I wish I just could recall a patch in an instant, but with that said this is not a dealbraker for me at all. I have found out that I actually love to patch chords so I gladly do it. You will have to have the patch memory in your head or written down on paper and that keeps you updated on how everything works in the Matriarch. On a synth with patch memory its easy to patch a sound one time and then forget how you did it just because the sound is two buttons away.

I would buy the Matriarch over Poly D and the Grandmother any day. I am glad that I bought Matriarch and not the Poly D. Matriarchs stereo filter, stereo delay and 90 patch points are things that you can't get with Poly D and the Grandmother. You actually get more by buying one synth instead of two in this case.
Old 4 days ago
eb7
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is more or less what happened to me. I was worried that I would hate having to patch everything manually, and I ended up loving it and learning a lot in the process.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

I'm thinking of taking the plunge at 15% off. Since my mpc got an upgrade, I could really use a nice controller and also want a stereo bbd delay to use as an aux send from my mixer (completely separate from the synth). Any excessive noise when patching out the delay?

Of course the synth itself seems great, and I am hoping it can replace my Analog Four (mainly using it for CV control and FX/filters right now) and my Boog D, as well as a couple delay pedals.

Any thoughs/advice appreciated as I mull
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I've noticed that sometimes the notes get suddenly cut off when in paraphonic mode.

I will be playing chords and holding some keys down and seemingly randomly I will press another key and all the notes will abruptly end. Sort of like what happens with voice stealing but for all the notes instead of just the ones that should be lost due to the number of keys > 4 being pressed.

I don't think this is a global setting/mode either because most of the time it behaves as would be expected - ie hold four notes, press a 5th and one of the others will be stolen.

Anyone else noticed this happening?
Old 2 days ago
eb7
Lives for gear

Yeah, the behavior of the envelopes in four-voice mode can be unpredictable, to say the least.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb7 View Post
Yeah, the behavior of the envelopes in four-voice mode can be unpredictable, to say the least.
Alright - good to know it's not just me. I've sent a mail to Moog support to find out more - perhaps they know about it and might be able to fix it in a firmware update
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Peter View Post
I'm thinking of taking the plunge at 15% off. Since my mpc got an upgrade, I could really use a nice controller and also want a stereo bbd delay to use as an aux send from my mixer (completely separate from the synth). Any excessive noise when patching out the delay?

Of course the synth itself seems great, and I am hoping it can replace my Analog Four (mainly using it for CV control and FX/filters right now) and my Boog D, as well as a couple delay pedals.

Any thoughs/advice appreciated as I mull
If it’s gainstaged properly, I don’t have issues with noise. It is an analog delay so probably noiser than say your A4 fx. If it fits yr music, the delay is glorious. Primary reason why I keep mine.

Been thinking of adding an A4 ... the extra CV, LFOs, FX, sequencer would be handy. If you can afford, maybe see how they interact in yr rig first. The Matriarch + an Elektron box can really F(u)X stuff up. Finishing up a vid now w/ Moog + Monomachine solely as FX.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

so the Moog Store just re-opened this morning, right next door to the factory, and with the May special still going on, I figured I'd drive over and pick up the Matriarch rather than take any chances having one shipped. (Heavy little sucker! But the guys there are just the best.) So I got the lid open, User's Manual in hand, and I'll take the afternoon reading up on it before plugging it in and getting acquainted. From all the great vids and reviews, this looks like it's going to be a blast.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Not sure if anyone else has run into this, but I'm now seeing a couple of odd behaviors with my Matriarch.

1) If I play a note it will gradually die down to a very low level but never completely sound off. It's as if there is an infinite release. The note continues to be audible even if all oscillators and the master volume are set to zero. It can still be modulated; if I turn on the LFO modulation to pitch I will hear the pitch move around. It isn't the release, it isn't the delay settings, it's just odd. If I play a second note, the new pitch will be the one that is persisted. The sound only goes away when I power cycle the synth. Then the first note I play, it's baaaaaack...

2) The sequencer/arp rate appears to be influencing the rate of LFO1 (but not LFO2). That is, when I change the sequencer rate, the LFO rate also changes. They don't match, though; it's more like the sequencer rate modulates the LFO rate. Changing the LFO rate does not influence the sequencer rate. I checked the manual quickly to see if this is expected but didn't find anything.

Both of these are without any patch cables inserted. Anyone else getting either of these?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_synth View Post
Not sure if anyone else has run into this, but I'm now seeing a couple of odd behaviors with my Matriarch.

1) If I play a note it will gradually die down to a very low level but never completely sound off. It's as if there is an infinite release. The note continues to be audible even if all oscillators and the master volume are set to zero. It can still be modulated; if I turn on the LFO modulation to pitch I will hear the pitch move around. It isn't the release, it isn't the delay settings, it's just odd. If I play a second note, the new pitch will be the one that is persisted. The sound only goes away when I power cycle the synth. Then the first note I play, it's baaaaaack...

2) The sequencer/arp rate appears to be influencing the rate of LFO1 (but not LFO2). That is, when I change the sequencer rate, the LFO rate also changes. They don't match, though; it's more like the sequencer rate modulates the LFO rate. Changing the LFO rate does not influence the sequencer rate. I checked the manual quickly to see if this is expected but didn't find anything.

Both of these are without any patch cables inserted. Anyone else getting either of these?
1. It can be that the oscillators bleed through. They bleed on my Matriarch, but not when I turn down all the volume knobs.

2. My modulation LFO is not affected by the arp/seq rate.

Maybe its a good idea to email Moog to let them know and see if they can help you.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portray View Post
1. It sounds like you are in drone mode. Are you sure that you are not in drone mode?
Not in drone mode. (at least officially :-D).

The final amplitude is quite soft. But audible.

Thanks for confirming that my synth is acting "different"... will e-mail the support folks.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_synth View Post
The Arp/Seq rate affects sample and hold used for the Staircase waveform of LFO1 (page 36).
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madasgardian View Post
The Arp/Seq rate affects sample and hold used for the Staircase waveform of LFO1 (page 36).
Yes, that was the second issue. Thank you! I only looked under the Sequencer section before.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Ok, ordered! Couldnt let that sale price pass, not a massive discount but still a respectable 17% ish

Wanted a stereo analog delay and a new controller, plus the sale, finally pushed me over the edge. It's a little bigger/heavier than I wanted, but will replace an Analog Four, DFAM, Boog D, minifoog delay, and a couple other pedals...

Hoping this will kill my gas for analog mono synths for good! Well, that and my Slim Phatty, Karp, neutron, and TD3...
Old 15 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Peter View Post
Hoping this will kill my gas for analog mono synths for good! Well, that and my Slim Phatty, Karp, neutron, and TD3...
I think you’re covered.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search