The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog matriarch
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm View Post
This kind of behavior is pretty common in modular land where a larger range of settings than the pot provides is possible using a CV offset.

It may be by design to give the pot an ‘optimal’ (subjectively so by the sounds of things!) range.
Could be, and if so, there are two workarounds already - and not even close to a dealbreaker. But if it is not simply the way things are, I'd like to have it fixed or replaced. I haven't measured, but I can say that despite the manual saying the minimum time is 35ms, and with the MF104M saying 40ms, that lowest setting without an offset on my Matriarch is WAY longer. I'm going to say at least 3X that or so. I will measure before reporting to Moog.
That said, if other new owners could check this, I'd be grateful.
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Aiken View Post
Could be, and if so, there are two workarounds already - and not even close to a dealbreaker. But if it is not simply the way things are, I'd like to have it fixed or replaced. I haven't measured, but I can say that despite the manual saying the minimum time is 35ms, and with the MF104M saying 40ms, that lowest setting without an offset on my Matriarch is WAY longer. I'm going to say at least 3X that or so. I will measure before reporting to Moog.
How would I check it?
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear

I found an odd issue...

If I plug patch cords into Attenuator 2, then the knob for Attenuator 1 (no cables) adjusts filter cutoff. If I take the cables out of Attenuator 2, then Attenuator (sans cables) does nothing (as I would expect).

Anyone else seeing this?
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
I found an odd issue...

If I plug patch cords into Attenuator 2, then the knob for Attenuator 1 (no cables) adjusts filter cutoff. If I take the cables out of Attenuator 2, then Attenuator (sans cables) does nothing (as I would expect).

Anyone else seeing this?
Is attenuator 2 patched to cutoff?

The two attenuators are summed to attenuater output 2 if no output jack is plugged into attenuator 1. If no input is plugged into attenuator 1 then it will act as a dc source.
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I found an odd issue...

Anyone else seeing this?
Expected behavior if attenuator 2 is patched to cutoff - watch the loopop full review/tutorial video, he describes this specifically, even mentions it would have been nice if a label/reminder of this had been printed on the panel.
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

The two attenuators are summed to attenuater output 2 if no output jack is plugged into attenuator 1. If no input is plugged into attenuator 1 then it will act as a dc source.
OK so you had answered already... I really should check replies before typing away.
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
How would I check it?
Down and dirty - set the delay for the shortest time, spacing at zero, sync off and play a short note. Does it seem longer that in should?
More exact - record same and measure how many milliseconds are between the note you played and its repeat.

Maybe it is that way for a reason - but it seems odd.
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Nut

Ooh!

Can you set the feedback so it keeps repeating and then count the number of repeats in a minute?
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yup this is usually a big no-no but depends on the module / manufacturer.

Eg - you shouldn't mix two or more LFOs by oatching them into the same destination using a mult or stack cable. Patching into a mixer is fine. Same for mixing gates etc

The reason is that voltages can sum up pretty high when patched together and overload the destination.
The bigger concern is that outputs are low impedance and designed to drive much higher impedance inputs. By connecting output to output you potentially stress or damage the output driver (Op-amp) by attempting to pull too much current. Most manufacturers these days put a resistor in series after the Op-amp output to limit the current. Or they use op-amps that have current limit resistors built in. But not all. I know Dreadbox for one warns of this in their user manuals.

You need not worry with Moog- but still best not to tie outputs together - use a buffered mult.
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Down and dirty - set the delay for the shortest time, spacing at zero, sync off and play a short note. Does it seem longer that in should?
More exact - record same and measure how many milliseconds are between the note you played and its repeat.

Maybe it is that way for a reason - but it seems odd.
Mine seems about right... it gets pretty fast at the shortest time.
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Appreciate it... now I understand how it behaves.
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear
A new demo i came across on youtube:

Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
A new demo i came across on youtube:

Sounds great.
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have you used the Tap Tempo?

I ask because when using the Tap Tempo for the Arp/Seq sometimes it gets stuck running too fast once Tap Tempo is off and I have to turn off the Matriarch to get it to reset to the regular speed.
Old 13th September 2019
Old 13th September 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
I thought that - but they were in a little bag that I had put aside without thinking.
But all the things you mention were in that little fabric bag, so if it is missing, then it makes sense that you are missing both.
Yeah, I got the bag but nothing was inside.
Old 14th September 2019
Gear Head

Matriarch sequencer tie function

Hi everyone. I got my Matriarch early this week (from Sweetwater). I have been playing with it, and so far it's a lot of fun. But today I was experimenting with the sequencer and I noticed something odd. After a little investigating, it seems like the Tie function is not working. When I enter ties into a sequence and then play it back, the envelopes are triggered on every note including tied notes. I compared the behavior with my Grandmother and the Grandmother works as expected (i.e., only the first note in a sequence of tied notes triggers the envelopes).

Also, when I press the Tie or Hold buttons during recording, the light in the button only illuminates while I am holding the button. Once I let go, the light goes out. The Matriarch manual indicates that the lights in the buttons should stay lit until the next note is played. That is also the actual behavior on the Grandmother. However, when I play back sequences with the ties in them on the Matriarch, the Tie button does light up as described when there is supposed to be a tie. The same thing happens if I try to enter ties while playing notes legato-style in recording mode (i.e., if I am holding down the previous note when I enter the next note and play the sequence back, the Tie light will illuminate to indicate the tie, but the envelopes retrigger).

By the way, this is all in mono mode with retrigger turned off. Can anyone else confirm the tie behavior? Wondering if it is bug in the software, or just my unit.
Old 14th September 2019
Gear Head

Matriarch sequencer legato glide

...and while playing around with this, it also appears that the sequencer does not recognize legato glide. Instead, it always plays a glide between notes when glide is on and the knob is turned up, even if legato glide is on and none of the notes are tied!

I also checked this against the Grandmother, and it worked as expected. (Only the tied notes glide.)

As with the previous post, any confirmation from others who have already received theirs would be very appreciated!
Old 15th September 2019
Lives for gear

Is the one only difference between the Moogfest edition and the normal edition the little moogfest serial number tag lower back corner?

Thx!
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbelt Jones View Post
Is the one only difference between the Moogfest edition and the normal edition the little moogfest serial number tag lower back corner?

Thx!
As far as I know, it's that and a tote bag. Also the shipping date.
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaping View Post
As far as I know, it's that and a tote bag. Also the shipping date.
Cool. Saw these MoogFest versions are available at Guitar Center in the US.
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbelt Jones View Post
Cool. Saw these MoogFest versions are available at Guitar Center in the US.
I got mine from Musician's Friend. Same company, but no sales tax for me. The bag is cool enough and the badge is slicker then I thought it would be. Very happy with my purchase. Love the Grandmother, but this takes the concept to the next level.
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

I have to say, if I have to have an external power supply with a synth, Moog did it right with the Matriarch (and the One). Such an improvement over the Grandmother's horrible plug. Love the screw in security blanket and much sturdier build.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Nut

Super excited about the Matriarch, but unsure whether to purchase now or wait until Moog has a couple of production runs under their belt first. I've never purchased a freshly launched synth before, but tend to wait at least a year or so (that's what I did with the GM).

Do early adopters tend to encounter more production kinks? Or am I just being paranoid?
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Maniac

I think with basically everything, especially electronics and technology, the longer you wait the better it gets. They work the bugs out, and the item gets cheaper as used copies hit the market and competing products appear.

If you can stand to wait, you probably should.
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketsofcake View Post
Super excited about the Matriarch, but unsure whether to purchase now or wait until Moog has a couple of production runs under their belt first. I've never purchased a freshly launched synth before, but tend to wait at least a year or so (that's what I did with the GM).

Do early adopters tend to encounter more production kinks? Or am I just being paranoid?
I think you're definitely right. Early adopters pay for the "privilege" of being the first ones to use the new stuff by being also beta-testers of hardware and software bugs. Besides, after the first year or so of production, prices tend to go down as the company has covered the initial R&D and industrialization costs.

And you'll have time to read real-life comments by users, study all the pros and cons of the gear, and of course have the chance of finding a good deal on a used item.
Old 16th September 2019
Just paid of my big purchase from last year and really thinking about selling my Voyager to replace with a Matriarch. No rush as the thing just came out, but I don't really think this is a synth that early owners need to be worried about in regards to issues. There really isn't anything newly developed with this as far as I know. Sure the hardware design is new, but I think Moog has plenty of experience with that. We are talking about the company that built something as complex as the Moog One. The software side of the Matriarch doesn't seem to be all that complex (just sequencer and MIDI?). I assume it can be updated through USB.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
Just paid of my big purchase from last year and really thinking about selling my Voyager to replace with a Matriarch. No rush as the thing just came out, but I don't really think this is a synth that early owners need to be worried about in regards to issues. There really isn't anything newly developed with this as far as I know. Sure the hardware design is new, but I think Moog has plenty of experience with that. We are talking about the company that built something as complex as the Moog One. The software side of the Matriarch doesn't seem to be all that complex (just sequencer and MIDI?). I assume it can be updated through USB.
My concern is they may have ported over some midi related bugs from the Grandmother and possibly the Model D-reissue. Maybe even the Sub37? I think I've read multiple post between here and the Moog forum regarding local on/off issues when operating through a DAW. Of course these could be individual unit issues or user error. And yeah, firmware can be easily updated but on these other models if these problems are real it's sure taking a long time.

Haven't been able to confirm any of this so I look forward to someone here running the Matriarch midi functionality through its paces.
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markyboard View Post
My concern is they may have ported over some midi related bugs from the Grandmother and possibly the Model D-reissue. Maybe even the Sub37? I think I've read multiple post between here and the Moog forum regarding local on/off issues when operating through a DAW. Of course these could be individual unit issues or user error. And yeah, firmware can be easily updated but on these other models if these problems are real it's sure taking a long time.

Haven't been able to confirm any of this so I look forward to someone here running the Matriarch midi functionality through its paces.
I've been engrossed with playing the Matriarch... haven't plugged in USB or Midi cables at all.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Maniac

You and everyone else apparently .

Just kidding but I actually do use all my midi capable synths in local off mode.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search