The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Moog matriarch
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
The Matriarch delay has 2 settings (set in Global settings)... bright and dark... default is bright
Aah...so take any of my comments pertaining to that with a grain of salt. I need to go mess with that. I haven't cracked the manual yet, and didn't see anything like that on the panel.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertflyer View Post
Has anyone tried turning local off and seeing if midi in works 100%? The GM could not do this. Wondering about the matriarch.
I asked this 4 days ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markyboard View Post
Congrats to all you lucky owners. I do have a few questions and would appreciate if one of you can answer when you get a chance. I realize midi functionality is far from the focus of this synth but this would also serve a s a polyphonic controller in my set up.

A) Does the midi work as expected with local Off and it's midi output fed back through a DAW? There was a bug reported with the Grandmother and I'm eager to know if this was resolved for the Matriarch.

B) Are the following transmitted over midi? Again - interested with local mode off
1) After touch
2) Pitchbend/mod wheels
3) Controller/expression pedal
4) Sequencer notes

I may have a few more follow up questions of this nature. Thanks in advance.
It’s feels like you early adopters are totally ignoring your obligation to drop everything and answer everyone of my stink’n questions...NOW!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markyboard View Post
I asked this 4 days ago.

It’s feels like you early adopters are totally ignoring your obligation to drop everything and answer everyone of my stink’n questions...NOW!
What's Midi?

Seriously - if nobody answers by Saturday I will check it all. I'm swamped through Friday night and barely have a few minutes to go noodle.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Aiken View Post
What's Midi?

Seriously - if nobody answers by Saturday I will check it all. I'm swamped through Friday night and barely have a few minutes to go noodle.
Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0gr4m View Post
My delay has a tonal noise. Regardless of the pitch or character of the signal, when I engage the delay there is this pitched noise that remains constant. It's almost like there is a standing wave in there. I'll have to record it and share. It's not a problem for me...yet.
Hmm - not osc bleed?
That sounds annoying
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraut View Post
Midi documentation added into the manual! \o/
https://api.moogmusic.com/sites/defa...rch_Manual.pdf
Thanks!

Well, i see that most of the important parameters can only be controlled by a combination of msb-lsb and not just a simple cc single number. Unfortunate for me as a Cubase owner...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Can the Matriarch do sweet and fat leads like a mini or grandma?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm View Post
Debatable. I think the Matriarch would stand alone as a great synth even without the delay! It certainly is the least important aspect to me (as the spring is to the GM).

You can add effects to anything, but it’s hard to change the raw tone of osc / filter / vca. Those aspects of the Matriarch are it’s best features in my opinion. It sounds like the mixer gain staging and saturation thresholds are pleasing too.

The Matriarch delay must be using Xvive audio bbd clone chips I think. The chase bliss offerings using this do sound good. It’s super dependent on the rest of the circuit of course.

The 104 still has a huge ace up it’s sleeve in it’s gain staging / drive and feedback insert, but of course it’s only mono.
The big attraction for me is the stereo delay module --if its as good as I think it will be . Without this module I would not have preordered. Im hoping it will be equally as great for external audio!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldt View Post
Can the Matriarch do sweet and fat leads like a mini or grandma?
Yes... even more so as it has the dual filters and more flexibility... beautiful sweet leads flow out of it like water!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Given there are 4 oscs, two filters, two envs and 3 vcas, is it possible to route the keyboard to one oscillator / filter / VCA and the sequencer to another oscillator / 2nd filter / another VCA, and play one 'voice' over the top of another being sequenced?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Regarding the delay - Can someone confirm that the shortest delay time is longer than one would expect?
With sync/tap off....make it as quick as you can. Mine is not as fast as I would expect it to be. If I turn sync on, and turn up the rate in the sequencer/arp section it gets plenty fast.
I am thinking that that knob is not calibrated properly.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Regarding the delay - Can someone confirm that the shortest delay time is longer than one would expect?
With sync/tap off....make it as quick as you can. Mine is not as fast as I would expect it to be. If I turn sync on, and turn up the rate in the sequencer/arp section it gets plenty fast.
Sorry I don’t know if this helps because I don’t have one.
It may be calibrated to allow the longest delay.
Have you tried patching a negative voltage offset to the delay time?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I don't have a Matriarch, but try patching a negative CV offset via the utility panel into the rate CV input.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_M_R View Post
I don't have a Matriarch, but try patching a negative CV offset via the utility panel into the rate CV input.
I tried that last night - didn't help - BUT...syncing it to the internal clock allows it to get faster. So I guess I shouldn't have said "the knob", which implies the physical knob.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm View Post
Sorry I don’t know if this helps because I don’t have one.
It may be calibrated to allow the longest delay.
Have you tried patching a negative voltage offset to the delay time?
I have.

It is possible that there is a global setting I am unaware of....will check the manual.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robobob View Post
Pardon my ignorance but what DAW software or app did loopop embed into the video frame of the Hydrasynth demo, in which he displayed the filter waveform in the left pane and the audio spectrum in the right pane WITH labels of the frequencies!

must.have.this!

TIA
I don't know what DAW or PlugIns he's using there, or what Video Editing software he's using that let's you stretch the embedded bits like that as well.

Very curious, too. You can always ask him on a YouTube comment or something.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have.

It is possible that there is a global setting I am unaware of....will check the manual.
Ah.....pilot error with the CV offset experiment last night. I just tried again, thinking that if the internal sync could do it, CV should be able to do it, and indeed it does.
So maybe a physical knob/pot issue.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by robobob View Post
Pardon my ignorance but what DAW software or app did loopop embed into the video frame of the Hydrasynth demo, in which he displayed the filter waveform in the left pane and the audio spectrum in the right pane WITH labels of the frequencies!

must.have.this!

TIA
The Oscilloscope is:
https://www.meldaproduction.com/MOscilloscope

and the Analyzer is:
https://www.meldaproduction.com/MAnalyzer

Both are free and available in the same downloadable package at Melda's website. They are very helpful apps.
Old 1 week ago
Mine came in a few days ago & Ive only had limited time with the matriarch so far but overall really impressed. Its pretty crazy how well this synth pairs with the Moog One. made a simple sequence on matriarch & held two notes on the One and was floored. now theyre just in hold mode looping blissfully
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ah.....pilot error with the CV offset experiment last night. I just tried again, thinking that if the internal sync could do it, CV should be able to do it, and indeed it does.
So maybe a physical knob/pot issue.
This kind of behavior is pretty common in modular land where a larger range of settings than the pot provides is possible using a CV offset.

It may be by design to give the pot an ‘optimal’ (subjectively so by the sounds of things!) range.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Thank you for taking the time to point me in the right direction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthient Sound View Post
The Oscilloscope is:
https://www.meldaproduction.com/MOscilloscope

and the Analyzer is:
https://www.meldaproduction.com/MAnalyzer

Both are free and available in the same downloadable package at Melda's website. They are very helpful apps.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan G View Post
Mine came in a few days ago & Ive only had limited time with the matriarch so far but overall really impressed. Its pretty crazy how well this synth pairs with the Moog One. made a simple sequence on matriarch & held two notes on the One and was floored. now theyre just in hold mode looping blissfully
Good, mine will be replacing a Grandmother and pairing with a One :-)
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
After months of waiting for the Matriarch, I finally received it. Well, I received the synthesizer...the power supply and patch cables were missing from the box. I'm sure Moog will make up for it as they always do, but it's a bit of a bummer.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Silly question: is there any combination of patch connections or stacking of signals that would make this thing explode? Or is it safe to explore plugging different things together?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by micr0c0sm View Post
Silly question: is there any combination of patch connections or stacking of signals that would make this thing explode? Or is it safe to explore plugging different things together?
for sure avoid output to output connections.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan G View Post
for sure avoid output to output connections.
Really?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
On the contrary, this is a great question. Synths like this I think, for a lot of people, will be an introduction into the modular idiom. It will be my introduction that is for sure.

Will it be possible on the Matriarch to make connections that potentially cause damage to the unit? Does the manual make mention of these? As my first bit of modular I was hoping to just go carefree on the thing...
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by radialMelt View Post
On the contrary, this is a great question. Synths like this I think, for a lot of people, will be an introduction into the modular idiom. It will be my introduction that is for sure.

Will it be possible on the Matriarch to make connections that potentially cause damage to the unit? Does the manual make mention of these? As my first bit of modular I was hoping to just go carefree on the thing...
heres a fairly detailed explanation on this subject

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/3868

I have a 5u rig and have definitely accidentally made output to output patches but did not incur any damage to the modules. It is important to be mindful though. Also i could be wrong but believe Moog states you can use the mults as cv mixers. However on many mults that is not recommended. So if your working with other modular equipment its wise to assume the opposite until you know for sure thats the case with the mults
I dont have the manual in front of me but going to check later that its the case regarding the mults
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by otherelbow View Post
After months of waiting for the Matriarch, I finally received it. Well, I received the synthesizer...the power supply and patch cables were missing from the box. I'm sure Moog will make up for it as they always do, but it's a bit of a bummer.
I thought that - but they were in a little bag that I had put aside without thinking.
But all the things you mention were in that little fabric bag, so if it is missing, then it makes sense that you are missing both.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Really?
Yup this is usually a big no-no but depends on the module / manufacturer.

Eg - you shouldn't mix two or more LFOs by oatching them into the same destination using a mult or stack cable. Patching into a mixer is fine. Same for mixing gates etc

The reason is that voltages can sum up pretty high when patched together and overload the destination.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search