The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Moog matriarch
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogsy View Post
I miss the Moog Sound Lab videos where the would give rock bands access to everything in the Moog warehouse and let them reimagine their songs. Poly chained Phatty setups, Voyager leads, drum triggers linked to Moog modules for percussion. I’d love to see the GM and Matriarch in the context of electro, rock, disco or really anything with a pulse rather than these meandering ambient tracks.

Lisa Bella Donna can make it sing, but that Lightbath/Morphic Resonance video of the guy noodling on his patio, surrounded by candles, was pretty painful.
You can tell that over the last couple of years, marketing has taken on a much larger role inside Moog.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

This video is the one that makes me keep my pre-order...

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaping View Post
This video is the one that makes me keep my pre-order...

Organic. Only analogue, only Moog.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I miss the Moog Sound Lab videos where the would give rock bands access to everything in the Moog warehouse and let them reimagine their songs. Poly chained Phatty setups, Voyager leads, drum triggers linked to Moog modules for percussion. I’d love to see the GM and Matriarch in the context of electro, rock, disco or really anything with a pulse rather than these meandering ambient tracks.

Lisa Bella Donna can make it sing, but that Lightbath/Morphic Resonance video of the guy noodling on his patio, surrounded by candles, was pretty painful.
meandering ambient sounds very narrow-minded dude
we all got different taste in music but lets applause moog for constantly advancing and breaking the boundaries
they are not obligated to always go with funk, rock or disco demos
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Sorry, then, I misunderstood your post . That's what I realized, that the GM is a modular starter that is meant to play with another rack/skiff/semimodular. I've stayed away from modular because I can pull off a once per year splurge on some gear with my wife, but recurring $100-200-300 modules would raise some eyebrows.

Definitely looking forward to what the modular crew does with the Mat. I'm sure it will be impressive, even if it's not there instrument for me.
I just want to follow up to this, because I don't think it would be right for anyone to come away with the impression that the Grandmother (and hopefully the Matriarch too) is only really suitable if you're combining with other modular gear... there is another side.

The Grandmother is also a very high quality Moog mono synth. When it came out Moog described the heritage of the circuits... the oscillators, mixer, filter and envelopes are derived from those in the model D and the Moog modular systems... this was the only way to get those sounds outside of those expensive synthesisers.

And it's a nicely built synthesiser for the price... the keyboard is a quality Fatar one, the controls are a decent size and arranged well, the spring reverb is very well integrated...

Even if you connect nothing else to it, it's a great synthesiser. If you just patch it within itself you discover that the patch points are carefully considered... and it's a great synthesiser.
Old 4 weeks ago
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogat0r View Post
In a lot of videos and demos (except the recently posted Lisa Bella Donna's) the GM and Matriarch's seem to inspire a very characteristic vibe in the players. The music seems to be evocative of extreme sadness, solitude and is introspective in a way I don't connect with.
It's 2019. Not really the cheeriest of times.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
It's 2019. Not really the cheeriest of times.
An instrument that helps express emotions and become an extension of the musicians feelings, is a good instrument to my ears.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogat0r View Post
The synth has amazing possibilities. The performance by Lisa Bella Donna was brilliant, and yet, sadly and luckily at the same time, this synth does not have the inherent tone that would make me immediately want to splurge about £2k to play it. Great synth, for those who truly love its sound.

Where are the other styles of music in the Moog GM/Matriarch demos? Where's space funk, jazz, trance, prog rock, berliner schule - only the sad post-electronic meandering.
I don't know, that Lisa Bella Donna vid had "I LOVE 70s" smeared all over it ... I got lots of proggy, krauty vibes from it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
I liked the tone but was frustrated by the lack of utilities and ultimately wound up selling. I thought that a different perspective might be valuable: that the "novelty" value of a modular interface might not be worth it, if you don't know what you're getting into.
You got pushback because you generalized your experience as if it was somehow a shortcoming of the Grandmother. You're still doing it ... it's not a "modular" starter ... it's one of the best-sounding mono synths on the market. And there's nothing "novel" about a modular interface, anymore than the Elektron's p-lock sequencer or the Rev2's mod matrix is gimmicky. The patch points can make the synth sound way more awesome, even if you never patch it out to another module -- it's an amazing mono-synth.

Sure, unpatched, it is "just another analog subtractive synth" (as are the A4 & Rev2) that IMO, happens to smoke both of those for sound, as well as any other Moog synth I've ever heard (I actually don't like Moog sound until GM). Its modularity can take it places the A4 & especially the Rev2 can't dream of ... not sure why you think those have way more possibilities. And let's be frank, those things need all that internal modulation capability to help liven up their sound.

No need to go broke building a eurorack case. For $300 or less, you can add the Behringer Neutron & get lost for months in modular exploration.

It does have limitations, chief among them lack of polyphony & some controller shortcomings but that's what the Matriarch is for!
Old 4 weeks ago
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Anyway, yeah, I see how you were frustrated by the minimal modulation options on the GM. It's not until you add (drumroll) modulation modules that it all comes alive and does the rest.

Modular is an approach only limited by your budget and imagination and knowledge. But armed with those, it may as well be alchemy.

And with a few cool mod sources to supplement the GM, or a Matriarch or M32 or DFAM or..., it does things (almost) nothing else can.

But you have to pay to play, for sure, and even know enough to know what you might even want to add to it, so there's a learning + spending curve.
I think the Matriarch is going to take "modular" into a new realm. In that it really has a TON of stuff right there in the synth. To the point where you may not NEED to wire anything else into the Matriarch.

I love the Grandmother. That's probably obvious. But there have been a few times when I've wanted just a little bit more. For the most part, I work around the limitations.

My first synth was an SH-101, and the Grandmother is sorta similar to that synth, but with 2 extra VCOs (I almost always use the mod osc as an audio sort tracking the keyboard), spring reverb, and semi-normalized patching. I'm used to working with a single ADSR, and the Grandmother essentially has 1.5 ADSR with the RLS function for the VCA. The Grandmother reminds me of a Moog Rogue combined with an SH-101. Plus patching.

Every now and then, though, I've wanted an extra VCO. Or maybe another envelope or LFO. So I'll bring over my small 2-tier Moog setup (with Mother-32, a few extra VCOs, Maths, ring mod, buffered mult) and wire things up. I get the sound I like. But I don't love working with Eurorack. I don't love working with a mess of wires and external modules.

A brief explanation: I've designed a lot of reverb algorithms. You ever see a really crazy patched modular system? Like, Richard Devine's house? That's what a LOT of reverb algorithms look like under the hood. So, I'm dealing with complex routing all the time. When I sit down and make music, the idea of diving into a nest of wires isn't really appealing. I'll do what I need to do to get a particular sound, but I'd rather keep things self-contained if possible. Just to avoid the visual chaos.

Back to Moog stuff: The Grandmother is awesome, but every now and then I want a little bit more. The Matriarch has a LOT MORE. Like, a ton more.
  • Need an extra VCO? The Matriarch has 4 VCOs. 3 VCOs gets you a fat sound. 4 VCOs...it is ridiculously corpulent.
  • Want an extra VCO, without patching in external modules? The Matriarch can do that. The VCO outputs are normalized to a 5 input CP3 mixer (4 VCOs + noise).
  • Want a full-fledged modulation oscillator, with slow random outputs, that can run at audio rate and track the keyboard? The Matriarch has you covered.
  • Dedicated noise source? It's there.
  • Need a 2nd LFO? There's one on the Matriarch, with triangle and sine outputs.
  • Need more attenuators? The Matriarch has 3.
  • Need voltage controlled attenuators? See above.
  • Need a ring modulator? The voltage controlled attenuators can do true ring modulation when the knob is set to noon.
  • Missing the filter ADSR on the Grandmother? The Matriarch has 2 ADSRs, one normalized to filter cutoff, the other to VCA control.

All of this in a normalized semi-modular synth, married to a 4 octave Fatar keybed with velocity and aftertouch.

Obviously, if you have existing Eurorack or other 1/8" modules, you can use the Matriarch as the controller of your system. But the Matriarch has enough stuff that you can do a ton without ever patching in any external modules. Or, combine it with a Grandmother, for a 6 to 8 VCO monster modular system with spring reverb, BBD delay, 3 VCAs, 3 VCFs, 3 voltage controlled attenuators, 2 CP3 mixers, 2 sequencers, 2 keyboards...basically a System 55 for $2899. Strip away the patch cables, and you have 2 great sounding synths without any patching needed.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
I think the Matriarch is going to take "modular" into a new realm. In that it really has a TON of stuff right there in the synth. To the point where you may not NEED to wire anything else into the Matriarch.

I love the Grandmother. That's probably obvious. But there have been a few times when I've wanted just a little bit more. For the most part, I work around the limitations.

My first synth was an SH-101, and the Grandmother is sorta similar to that synth, but with 2 extra VCOs (I almost always use the mod osc as an audio sort tracking the keyboard), spring reverb, and semi-normalized patching. I'm used to working with a single ADSR, and the Grandmother essentially has 1.5 ADSR with the RLS function for the VCA. The Grandmother reminds me of a Moog Rogue combined with an SH-101. Plus patching.

Every now and then, though, I've wanted an extra VCO. Or maybe another envelope or LFO. So I'll bring over my small 2-tier Moog setup (with Mother-32, a few extra VCOs, Maths, ring mod, buffered mult) and wire things up. I get the sound I like. But I don't love working with Eurorack. I don't love working with a mess of wires and external modules.

A brief explanation: I've designed a lot of reverb algorithms. You ever see a really crazy patched modular system? Like, Richard Devine's house? That's what a LOT of reverb algorithms look like under the hood. So, I'm dealing with complex routing all the time. When I sit down and make music, the idea of diving into a nest of wires isn't really appealing. I'll do what I need to do to get a particular sound, but I'd rather keep things self-contained if possible. Just to avoid the visual chaos.

Back to Moog stuff: The Grandmother is awesome, but every now and then I want a little bit more. The Matriarch has a LOT MORE. Like, a ton more.
  • Need an extra VCO? The Matriarch has 4 VCOs. 3 VCOs gets you a fat sound. 4 VCOs...it is ridiculously corpulent.
  • Want an extra VCO, without patching in external modules? The Matriarch can do that. The VCO outputs are normalized to a 5 input CP3 mixer (4 VCOs + noise).
  • Want a full-fledged modulation oscillator, with slow random outputs, that can run at audio rate and track the keyboard? The Matriarch has you covered.
  • Dedicated noise source? It's there.
  • Need a 2nd LFO? There's one on the Matriarch, with triangle and sine outputs.
  • Need more attenuators? The Matriarch has 3.
  • Need voltage controlled attenuators? See above.
  • Need a ring modulator? The voltage controlled attenuators can do true ring modulation when the knob is set to noon.
  • Missing the filter ADSR on the Grandmother? The Matriarch has 2 ADSRs, one normalized to filter cutoff, the other to VCA control.

All of this in a normalized semi-modular synth, married to a 4 octave Fatar keybed with velocity and aftertouch.

Obviously, if you have existing Eurorack or other 1/8" modules, you can use the Matriarch as the controller of your system. But the Matriarch has enough stuff that you can do a ton without ever patching in any external modules. Or, combine it with a Grandmother, for a 6 to 8 VCO monster modular system with spring reverb, BBD delay, 3 VCAs, 3 VCFs, 3 voltage controlled attenuators, 2 CP3 mixers, 2 sequencers, 2 keyboards...basically a System 55 for $2899. Strip away the patch cables, and you have 2 great sounding synths without any patching needed.
Stop! You’re making me want MOAR!

The Grandmother is truly a unique, deep, self-contained, timeless design.

I only played with it at Moogfest so far, but the Matriarch — for me at least — is an entirely different animal. Not only does it have the modulation depth to last you a lifetime for that kind of fun, but it is essential, analogue sound like little else I’ve heard in the past 20 years. And normalized, with a built-in analogue delay.... it’s still endless, with that classic, 60’s Moog Modular sound that only much bigger and more expensive current Moog modulars compete with.

No no no no no..... sigh..... not enough time, too little room (breathes temporary sigh of relief).

With everything coming out this autumn, I suspect the Matriarch will be unique, and tough to compete with.

Going to be an expensive end to 2019, for many!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdvb View Post
You got pushback because you generalized your experience as if it was somehow a shortcoming of the Grandmother. You're still doing it ... it's not a "modular" starter ... it's one of the best-sounding mono synths on the market. And there's nothing "novel" about a modular interface, anymore than the Elektron's p-lock sequencer or the Rev2's mod matrix is gimmicky. The patch points can make the synth sound way more awesome, even if you never patch it out to another module -- it's an amazing mono-synth.

Sure, unpatched, it is "just another analog subtractive synth" (as are the A4 & Rev2) that IMO, happens to smoke both of those for sound, as well as any other Moog synth I've ever heard (I actually don't like Moog sound until GM). Its modularity can take it places the A4 & especially the Rev2 can't dream of ... not sure why you think those have way more possibilities. And let's be frank, those things need all that internal modulation capability to help liven up their sound.

No need to go broke building a eurorack case. For $300 or less, you can add the Behringer Neutron & get lost for months in modular exploration.

It does have limitations, chief among them lack of polyphony & some controller shortcomings but that's what the Matriarch is for!
Does the GM sound good? Yes. But the problem is without external gear, you paint yourself into a corner really quickly. I could live with one LFO, but one envelope?? And sorry, I’m not enthusiastic about buying a $300 synth to go with my new $900 synth.

If you want to compare to other synths, the core oscillator tone is good, but the only real timbral control is oscillator drive (and square wave PWM, woohoo!). That sounds nice in demos, but in practice, I found it much less exciting. I’ll take waveshaping any day over that. Interesting to hear that it smokes the Rev2 and A4 for sound. I found the A4 much more usable for bass. Horses for courses, I suppose.

My point about “novelty” was directed at a particular poster who was on the fence and had never tried modular before. It’s novel if you’ve never tried it before, but it’s not magical. Some people gel, some don’t. I didn’t. Rather than try to spend his money for him, I gave him my personal experience. If you want the last word, you are welcome to it, I’m done posting in this thread. I hope everyone enjoys their Matriarch, I look forward to hearing what you do with it, even if it might not be for me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
I totally agree with you on modular being inconvenient if you want to play with others or use it like a normal synth, but it's worth pointing out they aren't limited to that. That's not where their strengths lie.
Modulars can be absolutely fine for live use/playing with other people, just got to break the idea that you need to recreate a particular sound exactly every single time. Obviously there are times where that is necessary, but if you're doing something involving improvisation or more free to have evolving aspects as part of the set rather than a totally rigid set, a modular or particularly semi-modular can be quicker on stage than a lot of other synths. I've never been afraid to use semi-modulars for live use for that exact reason.

TBH, people have got so hung up on the modular aspect of recent Moog synths they don't seem to focus on the actual synths. Yes it is great to be able to break-free of the fixed routings, but buy it for what it is without that aspect and everyone will have a happier time.
It should only be a "gateway" into modular if you're exhausting the options available and got a clear idea of what you think the GM/M32/DFAM/Matriarch is lacking, rather than going in with that mentality.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does the GM sound good? Yes. But the problem is without external gear, you paint yourself into a corner really quickly. I could live with one LFO, but one envelope?? And sorry, I’m not enthusiastic about buying a $300 synth to go with my new $900 synth.

If you want to compare to other synths, the core oscillator tone is good, but the only real timbral control is oscillator drive (and square wave PWM, woohoo!). That sounds nice in demos, but in practice, I found it much less exciting. I’ll take waveshaping any day over that. Interesting to hear that it smokes the Rev2 and A4 for sound. I found the A4 much more usable for bass. Horses for courses, I suppose.

My point about “novelty” was directed at a particular poster who was on the fence and had never tried modular before. It’s novel if you’ve never tried it before, but it’s not magical. Some people gel, some don’t. I didn’t. Rather than try to spend his money for him, I gave him my personal experience. If you want the last word, you are welcome to it, I’m done posting in this thread. I hope everyone enjoys their Matriarch, I look forward to hearing what you do with it, even if it might not be for me.
Horses for courses, nothing wrong with anything you’ve said.

But it’s true, at root what makes Moog synths special is their tone, not their complexity. Just like Sequential that way.

You have to want the tonalities first, then be willing to be creative with what on the surface seem like simple facilities, like one envelope, or LFO.

The Matriarch — like the Moog One — is one of the next synths from Moog after the Voyager to really go deep with sound sculpting and modulation possibilities; but it sustains the inherent oomph and ruggedness of classic Moog tone.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintmark View Post
Another video...

I like this synth a lot but that video is a yawner. zzzzzz.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:

$300 Neutron + $900 GM is still cheaper than what my old AK & Rev2 retailed for if money was the issue. If clutter's the problem, point taken.

Personally, I loved patching in the LFO as a 3rd oscillator while also using the mod wheel to dial in some FM. Not sure if that counts as timbral change but it's one of my all-time favorite lead sounds & I dearly hope I can get that back on the Matriarch.

Sure, horses for courses ... the AK sounded good but needed the Elektron sequencer to really put a smile on my face. When I had the Grandmother, I rarely patched it externally because all I had at the time was Rings & Clouds clone. Sometimes, I'd borrow an ENV or LFO from my Boog but that's all. It's possible, likely even, that I would have gotten bored of it but that's where all the patch points come into play!

I'd probably have kept the AK but coming from the Monomachine, couldn't come to grips w/ the divey interface & lack of MIDI pushed it into the sell pile. Funny enough, I had bought it in large part to be the hub in a modest modular set-up but 4 CV points wasn't nearly enough.

I did use it for bass on a track, though!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Horses for courses, nothing wrong with anything you’ve said.

But it’s true, at root what makes Moog synths special is their tone, not their complexity. Just like Sequential that way.

You have to want the tonalities first, then be willing to be creative with what on the surface seem like simple facilities, like one envelope, or LFO.

The Matriarch — like the Moog One — is one of the next synths from Moog after the Voyager to really go deep with sound sculpting and modulation possibilities; but it sustains the inherent oomph and ruggedness of classic Moog tone.
its kind of weird how people miss this , i guess in this age where we can have endless complexity people miss the idea that simplicity also counts and above that with music quality of signal .

Personally i think the Grandmother and Matriarch are both really a nice move forward for Moog , the sound quality does stand out in an age of kind of digital sounding analogue a bit , i hope they evolve this range with a modular system / rack
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaks Dude View Post
I dont think the video outlines the essence of the synth and its as cheesy as fk having a guy sat under some ' star pyramid light transmitter ' playing and swaying like a Mooji follower ,

aiming for the new age synth user maybe ?

music is better faceless and without the ego strapped to it and the worse kind of ego is the new age ego trip for me , demo videos are better i think when they show core sounds and are not an excuse for a promo video or a performer to look pretty.

It distracts from the sound .

We need more synth videos by bald headed guys who live with their mum or old blokes who drink ale and never leave the house accept when the police are notified.

Call me bitter but i really find this kind of video now nauseating

the whole things kind of tacky or a bit Greasy .

Reminds me to much of people at psy trance events doing yoga in places so everyone can see them and swanning round like Jesus
Old 4 weeks ago
That video basically demonstrates (to me) that the Mother stuff, at its worst, still sounds better than anything else Moog makes.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Moog Matriarch
Super 6
Novation Summit

All three of these would be a dream studio collection.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaf studios View Post
I dont think the video outlines the essence of the synth and its as cheesy as fk having a guy sat under some ' star pyramid light transmitter ' playing and swaying like a Mooji follower ,

music is better faceless and without the ego strapped to it and the worse kind of ego is the new age ego trip for me , demo videos are better i think when they show core sounds and are not an excuse for a promo video or a performer to look pretty.

It distracts from the sound .

We need more synth videos by bald headed guys who live with their mum or old blokes who drink ale and never leave the house accept when the police are notified.

Call me bitter but i really find this kind of video now nauseating

the whole things kind of tacky or a bit Greasy .

Reminds me to much of people at psy trance events doing yoga in places so everyone can see them and swanning round like Jesus
But are you getting one?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
its kind of weird how people miss this , i guess in this age where we can have endless complexity people miss the idea that simplicity also counts and above that with music quality of signal .

Personally i think the Grandmother and Matriarch are both really a nice move forward for Moog , the sound quality does stand out in an age of kind of digital sounding analogue a bit , i hope they evolve this range with a modular system / rack
"New Analogue" (NA? Vs. VA?) tends to have much more precise control over the VCO circuit, which on the one hand expands the range of what it can do, but on the other can slightly reduce the inherent "beef" of simpler, older designs.

Plus as others have mentioned, the Mother series at least since Grandmother, provide a kind of overdrive distortion in the mixer section that is key to providing the kind of warmth that many associate with analogue circuits, be they on synth or guitar pedals.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Matriarch manual is online for those who are interested:

https://www.moogmusic.com/downloads
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMOTM View Post

Iiik!!!!

I have been updating Moogs downloads page several times every day for whole summer!

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMOTM View Post

Next week then........PLEEEEEZ !
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Gave it a quick read. Mostly what could already be guessed from the specs and the front panel, with a few notable exceptions.
For example: the mults accept both CV and audio, and can also act as mixers.
And going quickly through the menus... custom tuning scales! This wasn't possible on the Grandmother, if I'm not mistaken?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaks Dude View Post
I am so sick of the Eventide Space/Blackhole sound.
Old 3 weeks ago
ValhallaDSP

Quote:

Wow. Are you saying that you WOULDN'T want to be playing synths under a Star Pyramid Light Transmitter™?

I mean, seriously. 95% of my synth related dreams involve playing in a setup that is shaped like a pyramid, or a dodecahedron made out of florescent tubes, or a rotating hologram where I am surrounded by synths while monotonically chanting "THERE IS. NO. SANCTUARY."

Bring on the 70s retro futurism, I say! PYRAMID POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!*

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_power
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Something i don't get is - on some vids i see that osc1 starts from 16". On the high resolution pics on Sweetwater i see that osc1 is lower than the rest and starts from 32" .
So which one is it?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search