The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Moog matriarch
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

It's not just about gnarly squelch, it can be melancholic, with the paraphony - try that if you can

Maybe the subsequent is even better as it's got more headroom for smoother tones
Old 17th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
It's not just about gnarly squelch, it can be melancholic, with the paraphony - try that if you can

Maybe the subsequent is even better as it's got more headroom for smoother tones
Ah, you know what, I just realized, it was the subsequent I played. Maybe I liked that one better. I have a while to decide. I've raised my budget on the poly I want, so it will take a bit longer before I start looking at this seriously.
Old 17th July 2019
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DStep ATL View Post
I mostly make synth heavy hiphop for myself, they are my passion. For others I make more generic southern style hiphop with acoustic instrument sounds and some synths mixed in.

An example of synth heavy hiphop I like to give is.

https://youtu.be/awe8phO_MWI

Silly puddy by Zion I.
If you already have the Grandmother, I'd look into the Subsequent 37, especially if you like the sound of that synth. I don't personally resonate with the Sub series, for some reason (I find the controls a bit confusing), but I have seen the Sub 37s and Subsequent 37s on SO MANY stages. For a programmable synth, and for live work, I'd definitely look into the Subsequent 37.
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I mostly make synth heavy hiphop for myself, they are my passion. For others I make more generic southern style hiphop with acoustic instrument sounds and some synths mixed in.

An example of synth heavy hiphop I like to give is.

https://youtu.be/awe8phO_MWI

Silly puddy by Zion I.
Long time fan of that track, and style, and that duo (separate and together). A few tracks on Heroes in the City of Dope go super hard, too.

What other synth heavy HipHop do you like?

Viktor Vaughn/MF? C-Rayz Walz and Sharkey? PUTS/Acid Raindrops and such? What else, new or old? PM if you'd rather not derail this here.
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

Apologies if this has been covered, but are we going to be able to disengage oscillators from the arp and solo over it?
Old 17th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Long time fan of that track, and style, and that duo (separate and together). A few tracks on Heroes in the City of Dope go super hard, too.

What other synth heavy HipHop do you like?

Viktor Vaughn/MF? C-Rayz Walz and Sharkey? PUTS/Acid Raindrops and such? What else, new or old? PM if you'd rather not derail this here.

I like cannibal ox a lot, the few albums they've put out. Zion I I've listened to since I was pretty young, my cousin put me on to them when I was about 11 or 12, when that album came out. I enjoy outkast and dungeon family stuff a lot, probably my favorite. Benny the Butcher had some synth stuff on some of his songs, hes probably my favorite current rapper.

Have always been a big fan of guys like Dre, DJ quik as well, loved the moogy stuff they've put out, and dres later stuff is what made me want a Virus originally.

Then sometimes I just listen to the hiphop influenced stuff people do on YouTube with synths, both regular and eurorack.
Old 18th July 2019
Here for the gear

A hypothetical question, how much of the Matriarch's value do you think resides in it being stereo? I fell in love with highly expressive guitar pedals (Hologram Infinite Jets, Chase Bliss Mood/Dark World, etc) which are mostly mono. Wondering if by doing this I would just not use most of Matriarch's power and should just get the Granny.

I'd test my theory with the Grandmother but unfortunately it's been out of stock with my city's music shop for a while - at least there is plenty of amazing stuff on YouTube.
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like cannibal ox a lot, the few albums they've put out. Zion I I've listened to since I was pretty young, my cousin put me on to them when I was about 11 or 12, when that album came out. I enjoy outkast and dungeon family stuff a lot, probably my favorite. Benny the Butcher had some synth stuff on some of his songs, hes probably my favorite current rapper.

Have always been a big fan of guys like Dre, DJ quik as well, loved the moogy stuff they've put out, and dres later stuff is what made me want a Virus originally.

Then sometimes I just listen to the hiphop influenced stuff people do on YouTube with synths, both regular and eurorack.
Awesome.

I have some Cannibal Ox. Maybe on that Dragonfly Project CD, or a guest on something, and I definitely have some solo Vast Aire stuff.

I love most everything ftom Def Jux.

And Dre is Dre. He's awesome. Outkast, too.

Right on. No shortage of HipHop in ATL. I think Collective Efforts are from there, hordes of others too of course.
Old 19th July 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nivviri View Post
A hypothetical question, how much of the Matriarch's value do you think resides in it being stereo? I fell in love with highly expressive guitar pedals (Hologram Infinite Jets, Chase Bliss Mood/Dark World, etc) which are mostly mono. Wondering if by doing this I would just not use most of Matriarch's power and should just get the Granny.
I also like to use some mono pedals as well. Im looking forward getting another mono reverb (in additional to the dark world). Then i will patch up a stereo delay with 2 different mono pedals after the delay

thanks to Matriarch is semimodular, you can create your FX-loop/insert anytime in the chain (before you turn it into stereo) and therefore be useful.

I use the simple A-138d Dopefer to convert between modular and pedals.
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'd test my theory with the Grandmother but unfortunately it's been out of stock with my city's music shop for a while - at least there is plenty of amazing stuff on YouTube.
I was wondering about that too...I generally PREFER working in mono for individual instruments, not always, but more often than that.
Might I be better off spending $899 for a GM, and using some external oscillators, delays, etc. that I already own?
In the end I think not.
You do not need to use the filters in stereo.
Having 4 oscillators on board, along with its paraphonic capabilities is a big draw, having owned a Korg Monopoly for a while.
Aftertouch on the keyboard, and a larger keyboard.
Stereo bucket brigade delay.
Other upgrades/features as discussed.
I think they have the 2 price points so that either can make sense for a particular customer.
Old 19th July 2019
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Aiken View Post
I was wondering about that too...I generally PREFER working in mono for individual instruments, not always, but more often than that.
All of the dual filter modes in the Matriarch work in mono as well. The parallel LP filters are summed together when using the left output as a mono output.
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
All of the dual filter modes in the Matriarch work in mono as well. The parallel LP filters are summed together when using the left output as a mono output.
Right - Like the Voyager, nothing is forcing you to work in stereo just because you CAN.
So tempting as it is to run out and get a "Granny" today, in stock at a local retailer, I am still holding out for the Matriarch whenever it actually ships.
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Aiken View Post
Right - Like the Voyager, nothing is forcing you to work in stereo just because you CAN.
So tempting as it is to run out and get a "Granny" today, in stock at a local retailer, I am still holding out for the Matriarch whenever it actually ships.
Get the Granny anyway.
Quick count of those here who will have the two lined up?
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricera View Post
Get the Granny anyway.
The thought has crossed my mind!!!! Some of that is the lure of immediate gratification.
But I think the Matriarch will be plenty, and I'd rather pair it with some non-Moog modules like Maths, and the semi-modular things I already own.

The question for me is whether the Matriarch is sufficiently value added compared to the GM to justify the expense.
I think it is. If I ran into a great deal on a GM that could sway me.
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

From my experience with Moog for all of you clamoring to get this thing as soon as possible - WAIT.

Let it be our for a few weeks or months for any kinks to be worked out in production and then get it.

Maybe even score a Christmas discount.
Old 19th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricera View Post

With an M32/DFAM stack between them, waiting for Moog to get their **** together so I can get a Subharmonicon/Spectravox stack going too. Just need to find a table big enough for all of them. I have to commend Moog for killing most of my GAS for a synthesizers.com system now.
Old 19th July 2019
Gear Head

Let's say I keep my GM and I get the Matriarch - if I hook them together, so what's the stuff I can do, just more sonic possibilities essentially? I'm not a synth guy and just starting to figure out the semi modular stuff.
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chochochocho View Post
Let's say I keep my GM and I get the Matriarch - if I hook them together, so what's the stuff I can do, just more sonic possibilities essentially? I'm not a synth guy and just starting to figure out the semi modular stuff.
The whole is equal... or greater, than the sum of the parts. You'll have 6 oscillators (plus 2 LFOs that can also be oscillators), 3 envelopes, 3 filters, 3 VCAs, 2 arp/sequencers... not to mention the spring reverb AND the stereo delay... and you can patch things between the two just as easily as within each of themselves.

So... a GM and Matriarch can be seen as 2 separate synths (bass on GM and chords on Matriarch, for example), or as one BIG synth when you start patching them together!
Old 20th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by chochochocho View Post
Modular is exponential or beyond exponential, so it's not 5+5=10. It's more like 5+5=1000.

Apparent overlap (like having more oscillators or LFO's or envelopes than you think you need) is not actually overlap once you start patching
Old 20th July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebyanders View Post
I also like to use some mono pedals as well. Im looking forward getting another mono reverb (in additional to the dark world). Then i will patch up a stereo delay with 2 different mono pedals after the delay

thanks to Matriarch is semimodular, you can create your FX-loop/insert anytime in the chain (before you turn it into stereo) and therefore be useful.

I use the simple A-138d Dopefer to convert between modular and pedals.
Not sure I'd want to insert FX even before the filter - the point of a Dark World for instance or Hologram Infinite Jets is to take a complex sound and mess it up beautifully.

However I checked with Moog and they told me the headphone output has the same gain and quality as the stereo main, so one could actually run FX through there and mix it something like 50/50 at the console.

Another way is to run Matriarch (+avalanche run for instance) into mix, send one mono channel out of it into FX and loop them back to a third input. Again, fun stuff with balancing the more clean stereo sound with the modified mono FX channel.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Oh my...

Old 4 weeks ago
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Not sure I'd want to insert FX even before the filter - the point of a Dark World for instance or Hologram Infinite Jets is to take a complex sound and mess it up beautifully.

However I checked with Moog and they told me the headphone output has the same gain and quality as the stereo main, so one could actually run FX through there and mix it something like 50/50 at the console.

Another way is to run Matriarch (+avalanche run for instance) into mix, send one mono channel out of it into FX and loop them back to a third input. Again, fun stuff with balancing the more clean stereo sound with the modified mono FX channel.
The Matriarch's dual filters have independent resonance for each filter, and the SPACING control acts as a scalar for the left filter's cutoff. In other words, you can have very different filters for the left and right channels. This can make left/right balance a little weird at times. However, if you view the outputs as dual mono, then you can have all sorts of post-processing fun.

Example: set up high resonance on one filter, and no resonance on the other. Run the high resonance filter through distortion, and the no resonance filter through compression, ducking, that sort of thing. This allows you to get lead and bass behavior out of the same synth part!
Old 4 weeks ago
M32
Lives for gear

That fast rate lfo autopan bit was a nice brain-tickling sensation
and the delay sounds lush!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
The Matriarch's dual filters have independent resonance for each filter, and the SPACING control acts as a scalar for the left filter's cutoff. In other words, you can have very different filters for the left and right channels. This can make left/right balance a little weird at times. However, if you view the outputs as dual mono, then you can have all sorts of post-processing fun.

Example: set up high resonance on one filter, and no resonance on the other. Run the high resonance filter through distortion, and the no resonance filter through compression, ducking, that sort of thing. This allows you to get lead and bass behavior out of the same synth part!
Yep exactly how I have my Voyager set up! Seems the Matriarch is the first synth since the Voyager that uses this same filter setup.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
Oh my...

A definitive introduction! Loopop is very methodical.
Does this imply it’s out soon?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
A definitive introduction! Loopop is very methodical.
Does this imply it’s out soon?
I think mid Sep is the currently expected date - Moog has stated they are having supply issues, hence the wait. As I understand it the instrument has been ready to go for a while.

Either way, watched the Loopop video twice and just love love the workflow of the Matriarch - looks like such a well designed player instrument. This is the most “no-brainer-gotta-have-it” synth ever for me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think mid Sep is the currently expected date - Moog has stated they are having supply issues, hence the wait. As I understand it the instrument has been ready to go for a while.

Either way, watched the Loopop video twice and just love love the workflow of the Matriarch - looks like such a well designed player instrument. This is the most “no-brainer-gotta-have-it” synth ever for me.
Excellent!

I won’t speculate here on the sourcing delays, but I have my ideas.... (no, not China). All will be worked out in time.

Meanwhile, yes, this is going to be a heavy contender for synth of the year! I’m sure you’ll love it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh my...

That video cured me of my thoughts that I might jump off my pre-order and get a Grandmother instead.

In addition to being the "Great Grandmother", it is something of a Korg Monopoly on steroids.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

If you don't want to watch the whole video, you should at least jump to the best part at 30:00 - patch ideas. There are some really simple patches there that change up the sound so much!

I think this synth has almost limitless potential.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I wanna buy 2 of these, midipal them together, and play them as a true 4 voice polysynth with two osc per voice. Of course, I also wish I had money.

But seriously, I hope after the Matriarch release Moog gets into the Eurorack game. Then they can market a dual VCF and dual VCA and I won’t need to buy a 2nd Matriarch to artificially make a mad polysynth out of this.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search