The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moog matriarch Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

It looks like everybody's forgetting the fact that the Matriarch (and Grandmother, and Model D, etc) DOES have patch memory.

It remembers the last patch you programmed... if you're careful not to move the knobs
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedlekin View Post
There are much cheaper Moogs with patch memories than the One, e.g. Sirin, Minitaur, Subsequent 37.
Hmm, never heard of those before. I'll check them out. Thanks!
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajor Hill View Post
but i can not get over the fact that you cant store patches.
Yes, you've mentioned it 5 times in the past two weeks, so it does seem that you cannot get over it.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
great great sound

do i understand that its modular and its encapable of such patch memory? yes...
All other patch-able memory synths have much fewer patch points compared to the 90 on the Matriarch, and the Matriarch has a lot fewer normalled connections. Patching is an essential part of the synth for internal routing, whereas patching is an optional I/O expansion the Dominion 1 and the Pro 2, not really used for internal routing.

But hey, if Moog wanted a patch-able synth, they'd go with infinite encoders with LED indicator rings a la Nord instead of pots... and would probably cost a few grand more.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head
this is going to be a tough one though, the matriarch was an instant buy for me until I heard the UDO super 6
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaintjohn View Post
Yes, you've mentioned it 5 times in the past two weeks, so it does seem that you cannot get over it.
Obiviously he has problems with his 'memory'. Perhaps he also needs to save 'patches'.

Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannykorrson View Post
this is going to be a tough one though, the matriarch was an instant buy for me until I heard the UDO super 6
Same for me... my solution is to get both...
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer View Post
Like OMG have you been living under a rock or something?
Attached Thumbnails
Moog matriarch-bqcqhzfiiaaktat.jpg  
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

For people looking for a spring reverb for the Matriarch, it better be stereo to truly take advantage of the setero output... thas probably why they didnt include the spring of the grandmother on the matriarch. I recommend the Korg GR1, super nice sounding stereo spring reverb, with a filter and a gate
Old 4 days ago
Zerotronics Mini-LE. Wish I had never sold mine. Best spring reverb I've ever heard.

http://zerotronics.com/mini-le/index.html
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
great great sound

do i understand that its modular and its encapable of such patch memory? yes...
Or you could just learn synthesis... it's not that hard, and once you do, you won't need patch storage since you'll be able to recreate the sound you want fairly quickly. On such a simple subtractive synth like a Moog, patch memory is just a crutch, imho.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

I've been looking into the Matriarch more and more... About to create my first analogue-only setup, my first plan was the Prophet + Grandmother, fitting into the appropriate budget. With the sound of this one though, Matriarch + Minilogue XD seems potentially even more creative for atmospheric & ambient patches, especially with reverbs and delays... Moog reps confirmed that they're aiming for full production by the end of June/early July, that's not far away.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivviri View Post
I've been looking into the Matriarch more and more... About to create my first analogue-only setup, my first plan was the Prophet + Grandmother, fitting into the appropriate budget. With the sound of this one though, Matriarch + Minilogue XD seems potentially even more creative for atmospheric & ambient patches, especially with reverbs and delays... Moog reps confirmed that they're aiming for full production by the end of June/early July, that's not far away.
That's a good plan. The two instruments by default have strengths in different areas, so should complement each other very well.

Me, I'd go even further and limit myself to Matriarch and Microfreak, in one of my multiverses. Could do everything I want with those two, and a laptop.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
On such a simple subtractive synth like a Moog, patch memory is just a crutch, imho.
Well it actually is quite useful for live performance. Otherwise you have to do the synth equivalent of tuning a guitar on stage between songs.

It is the reason Keith Emerson used to tour with 5 Minimoogs on stage.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrains View Post
Well it actually is quite useful for live performance. Otherwise you have to do the synth equivalent of tuning a guitar on stage between songs.

Of course its useful, but I doubt the person I was originally responding to is going to be doing Emerson-like mega concerts, and the way he was constantly complaining about the lack of patch storage leads me to believe he really doesn't know synthesis very well, otherwise he wouldn't be making that big of a stink about it on a synth that harkens back to the classic Moogs...
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'd rather have all the patch points... plus there is something lovely about manually adjusting the synth to get a sound. That means it will never be exactly the same
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer View Post
The majority of Moogs built since 2000 have some sort of patch memory.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
Of course its useful, but I doubt the person I was originally responding to is going to be doing Emerson-like mega concerts......
Well, bar bands playing covers probably need it more than mega concerts....

Just sayin.....
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Well, bar bands playing covers probably need it more than mega concerts....

Just sayin.....
That's true. But I doubt they'd be getting a Matriarch for their cover tunes; probably a KingKorg or Kronos or something... Come on, you know better!
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear
Here's what would get me to buy one pretty much right away....

Get rid of modular capabilities + add preset functionality.

I'd basically never use the modular stuff, and I just want to save the sounds I create.

As is it looks like a fun studio tool... But can you imagine using it live? Changing sounds with each new song?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarr View Post
But can you imagine using it live? Changing sounds with each new song?
No, I can't imagine it would be very good for a live set. I think it's strength would be in the studio.

Like Genshi said - get a KingKorg or something if presets are what you need.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
No, I can't imagine it would be very good for a live set. I think it's strength would be in the studio.

Or a Moog One. Why would anyone suggest a KingKorg to someone looking at Moogs?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Or a Moog One. Why would anyone suggest a KingKorg to someone looking at Moogs?
Because taking an $8000 instrument to a live gig isn't something that we all want to do. And the KingKorg is an excellent analog modelling synth that covers sounds well enough.
Old 4 days ago
Because a KK is capable of sounding more like a classic Moog than the One is.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

As someone who often plays analog synths live, there’s a lot to be said for working with a single patch for an entire set, making realtime adjustments only to the essentials... filter, res and envelope etc. You simply don’t use a synth like this for dramatic timbral changes in a live gig, in the same way you don’t expect a Rhodes piano to make different noises from one song to the next. After all , there are other solutions specifically for that, ie romplers. If this isn’t what you need there are oodles of alternatives.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Geez. If people want the programmability and analog quality of a mono/paraphonic synth just get a matrixbrute or pro 2. Both are dual vcf, save presets, and have similar 'modular' depth. I get they won't sound the same, but they'd get you closer than complaining to strangers on forums would
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

He meant to suggest you look at the Subsequent 37 series.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sure I can imagine using it live. There are no menus, no screen, no multiple functions per knob. All the knobs and switches are big and spacious and easy to find and adjust. I would have no trouble remembering a number of sounds and being able to dial each of them in 30 seconds or less.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
People have been doing it for years with Minimoogs and Odysseys and the like. Even today, just look at one of the biggest current live acts like Snarky Puppy. Justin Stanton plays a Minimoog onstage and tweaks it all the time.
Of course patch memories are a great convenience for live performance. But is it imaginable to survive without them? Absolutely yes.

Quote:
Here's what would get me to buy one pretty much right away....

Get rid of modular capabilities + add preset functionality.
Ok, so you can buy 99% of all other synths on the market.
What makes the Matriarch unique is exactly what you dislike about it and that's no problem, it simply means you have different needs. But then why are you complaining about a synth that you'll never buy or use?

"This Jeep is great, but can you imagine using it for track racing? I would buy it right away, if only it was more like a Formula 1"
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider76 View Post
People have been doing it for years with Minimoogs and Odysseys and the like. Even today, just look at one of the biggest current live acts like Snarky Puppy. Justin Stanton plays a Minimoog onstage and tweaks it all the time.
Of course patch memories are a great convenience for live performance. But is it imaginable to survive without them? Absolutely yes.
Easy to survive without patch memory on a Minimoog when there are other keys players on stage playing synths with patch memory.

Matriarch does not seem like a synth for the stage.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search