The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog matriarch
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3451
Lives for gear
 
kwaping's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdvb View Post
If you've filled 400hp with modules, obviously there's no need to ask the question but if you're asking the question, consider flipping it: how can the Matriarch expand any euro modules you might be interested in? A lot, it turns out.

I've got a video planned for this weekend broaching this subject of the Matriarch & eurorack but in general, I think flipping your question works best for a "euro-casual" synthesist like myself.

I can't afford either money or time-wise to build out alternative synths in euroland so it takes a specific module or sound to interest me. This time around, it was the Instruo Lubadh. But most eurorack modules need "help" to take them really interesting places.

Other than VCAs, Matriarch's got a lot of utilities that small racks (or semi-modulars) often lack so it's a great way to really dive into eurorack slowly without having to build a complete system right away when you don't even know what you're doing yet.

The Matriarch is pretty damn "complete" as a standalone instrument. Not sure if there's anything it "needs" other than maybe slew unless you just wanna change its character completely. I like random sources but I'm happy with just combining the 2 onboard LFOs while using one to modulate the rate of the other.

I love the idea of VCVRack but hate using it in practice. Nowhere near as enjoyable as real patching for me.
This is a great post, thank you. I'm a subscriber and am looking forward to your video! This really firms up my idea of getting a Matriarch not only for what it is, but also for what I can evolve it into.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3452
Gear Nut
I have taken the Eurorack plunge after buying my Matriarch. With Matriarch I missed an LFO that I can tempo sync. I bought Expert Sleepers ES-3 and ES-6 and switched to Ableton. With CV tools in ableton I can sync Matriarch to its LFO or modulate almost every parameter in ableton with for example Matriarchs LFO or any other hardware modulation source which is crazy. Its also easy to send audio channels from ableton and process them with Matriarch and turn Matriarch into an effect device.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3453
Lives for gear
 
string6theory's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by percussion boy View Post
Somehow, I always picture your living space as an airplane hangar full of synths, all turned on—except for two square meters of free space in the corner, with a fridge and a microwave, where you go to eat your meals.


Mind you, this is not a criticism.
That actually sounds cool.

Alas, my synth setup and a small control room tracking/mixing section are in our family room, which I've almost completely taken over, save for what used be the dining room, which we converted into or TV/movie and chill area. So, it's now a bigger family area room. The new dining room is planned as a phase-4 house remodel project and will extend that chill-out FR section, as really should have been done when this home was built.

The main studio space is a garage conversion with a CR and LR, currently in process and planned o be finished in the next 6 months or so.

Here's how the FR layout looks... note, the M will be moved to the LR, not placed in the center of the circle as shown in the render. And, the PB + Mini XD Mods and Osmose pre-order will hopefully be added soon!


It does look pretty cool when everything is turned on and all the colored lights are twinkling.
Attached Thumbnails
Moog matriarch-fr-circle-synths.jpg   Moog matriarch-fr-control-room-section.jpg   Moog matriarch-fr-control-room-section-2.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3454
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
That actually sounds cool.

Alas, my synth setup and a small control room tracking/mixing section are in our family room, which I've almost completely taken over, save for what used be the dining room, which we converted into or TV/movie and chill area. So, it's now a bigger family area room. The new dining room is planned as a phase-4 house remodel project and will extend that chill-out FR section, as really should have been done when this home was built.

The main studio space is a garage conversion with a CR and LR, currently in process and planned o be finished in the next 6 months or so.

Here's how the FR layout looks... note, the M will be moved to the LR, not placed in the center of the circle as shown in the render. And, the PB + Mini XD Mods and Osmose pre-order will hopefully be added soon!


It does look pretty cool when everything is turned on and all the colored lights are twinkling.
Very nice.

What’s the mixer, to the right of the poster with the red guitar?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3455
Lives for gear
 
string6theory's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by percussion boy View Post
Very nice.

What’s the mixer, to the right of the poster with the red guitar?
Thanks, that's my new Toft ATB-08M! What a sexy gem... I also picked up the big brother 16M for the new CR!
Attached Thumbnails
Moog matriarch-toft-atb-08m-fr.jpg   Moog matriarch-crender-1.jpg   Moog matriarch-crender-2.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3456
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
Thanks, that's my new Toft ATB-08M! What a sexy gem... I also picked up the big brother 16M for the new CR!
Ah, that does like good.

Don’t think I’ve actually seen a Toft before—heard about them tho.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3457
Gear Addict
Maybe I am misunderstanding but since both LFOs have a patch point for RATE, can't they be synced to any pulse sent to them?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #3458
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdvb View Post
Maybe I am misunderstanding but since both LFOs have a patch point for RATE, can't they be synced to any pulse sent to them?
If you want an LFO that are tempo synced to a DAW and want divisions of that tempo you cant do that with Matriarchs LFOs due to that the LFOs are fully analog. @ kpatz knows more about this. According to him analog LFOs do not do that task very well. But digital LFOs can do that. Before I bought the Expert Sleepers modules I tried to clock the main LFO from Matriarchs clock out to both rate in and sync in with no success.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #3459
Lives for gear
 
Jorg's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portray View Post
If you want an LFO that are tempo synced to a DAW and want divisions of that tempo you cant do that with Matriarchs LFOs due to that the LFOs are fully analog. @ kpatz knows more about this. According to him analog LFOs do not do that task very well. But digital LFOs can do that. Before I bought the Expert Sleepers modules I tried to clock the main LFO from Matriarchs clock out to both rate in and sync in with no success.
I've been thinking about this same thing and isn't there a possible workaround?

Can the arp / sequencer rate be clocked to the incoming clock?
If so, you can set in the global parameters that a clock is always sent to the clock out even when the arp / sequencer isn't running.
That means you could relay the incoming midi clock via the rate back to the clock output and then patch the clock output into the LFO rate in.

I haven't tried this yet and maybe I got this completely wrong....
Old 1 week ago
  #3460
Lives for gear
 
kpatz's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
The LFO rate input is a CV, the voltage sent to this patch point controls the rate (speed) of the LFO, same as turning the rate knob.

The main LFO also has a sync in that resets the phase of the LFO. This could be used to retrigger (reset the phase of), but not rate sync, the LFO to the tempo pulses from the arp/seq. By using the sync in and setting the rate accordingly, you can get a tempo synced waveform, but it won't adjust if the tempo changes.

For a true tempo synced LFO, you need one that is digital, as digital LFOs can calculate the exact rate needed to sync to a tempo.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #3461
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
The LFO rate input is a CV, the voltage sent to this patch point controls the rate (speed) of the LFO, same as turning the rate knob.

The main LFO also has a sync in that resets the phase of the LFO. This could be used to retrigger (reset the phase of), but not rate sync, the LFO to the tempo pulses from the arp/seq. By using the sync in and setting the rate accordingly, you can get a tempo synced waveform, but it won't adjust if the tempo changes.

For a true tempo synced LFO, you need one that is digital, as digital LFOs can calculate the exact rate needed to sync to a tempo.
Thanks @ kpatz for sharing your knowledge on this again. Much appreciated!
Old 1 week ago
  #3462
Lives for gear
 
kpatz's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I just had a crazy thought (yeah, I'm like that... lol). There is actually a circuit that can synchronize the frequency and phase of a VCO to another signal... it's called a phase-locked loop or PLL for short. It consists of a VCO and a phase comparator and some filter circuits that continuously adjusts the VCO's control voltage to keep it "locked" to the incoming signal. I don't think I've ever seen one used in an analog synth, unless some odd Eurorack module has one, and at LFO frequencies it would be slow to track anyway.

Sort of a Rube Goldberg-esque way to get an analog synced LFO. Nowadays it's a lot simpler to just use digital for that sort of thing.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #3463
Lives for gear
 
Jorg's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
The LFO rate input is a CV, the voltage sent to this patch point controls the rate (speed) of the LFO, same as turning the rate knob.

The main LFO also has a sync in that resets the phase of the LFO. This could be used to retrigger (reset the phase of), but not rate sync, the LFO to the tempo pulses from the arp/seq. By using the sync in and setting the rate accordingly, you can get a tempo synced waveform, but it won't adjust if the tempo changes.

For a true tempo synced LFO, you need one that is digital, as digital LFOs can calculate the exact rate needed to sync to a tempo.
So basically the LFO rate in allows us to modulate the LFO rate but not to set the speed of it?

Cant the sub37 sync the LFO? Does that mean it has digital LFOs?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #3464
Lives for gear
 
kpatz's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg View Post
So basically the LFO rate in allows us to modulate the LFO rate but not to set the speed of it?
You can change the rate (which "sets the speed") but getting the resulting speed to be in sync with something like tempo is the tricky part.
Quote:
Cant the sub37 sync the LFO? Does that mean it has digital LFOs?
Yes, sub37's LFO is digital. So are the envelopes AFAIK.

The LFOs on the Matriarch are analog VCOs just like the main oscillators.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #3465
Here for the gear
Did this and did not see any difference. The manual says the output is +4dbu and there is no way it is putting out anywhere near that.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #3466
Gear Maniac
 
Immediate thing to fix is patch the right most attenuator output to the L VCA input and turn the attenuator knob fully CW. -this will get your output up.

Via email Moog said my unit was normal however one other person with the same Interface as me demonstrated that his is at least 6dB louder. I sent my Matriarch to Moog a week ago and they are going to tear it down and have a look. I will report back once I get my baby back.
Old 1 week ago
  #3467
Lives for gear
 
Miiko's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Made this trippy Matriarch inspired video in Dreams I thought you guys might like:

📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 86 views: 9576
Avatar for chessparov2.0
chessparov2.0 3 weeks ago
replies: 627 views: 94369
Avatar for Sebastian N
Sebastian N 2 days ago
replies: 79 views: 7459
Avatar for RunnyKine
RunnyKine 19th June 2018
replies: 9578 views: 506861
Avatar for BRNT
BRNT 2 days ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump