Moog matriarch
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Wow loving the dark, but looks like it comes at a 10% premium :(
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Feels like the best case scenario if I could find a local buyer would be a ~$400 loss on the colorful Matriarch - the murdered out one is cool but not that cool.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Am I the only one who prefers the retro pastels over the retro dark look? The dark look looks too black metal vibe for me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdvb View Post
Am I the only one who prefers the retro pastels over the retro dark look? The dark look looks too black metal vibe for me.
I actually like the retro dark look, because I'm a secret goth, but if you offered me a straight swop I'd stick with the pastels. I like the way things are colour-coded.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I prefer the originals. These new ones are bland.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Just got mine yesterday and have a question about the filter cutoff. It seems that the cutoff doesn’t really start opening the filter until it gets a little past the 200hz hash mark. Is that the same for everyone?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Anyone use their Matriarch as a controller keyboard for their Eurorack rig?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uly81 View Post
No need to wait for Moog now; anyone can create one for fame, glory... or i'd venture a guess that a typical Moog customer wouldn't mind paying a bit for a nice one.
Good point!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicncars View Post
I prefer the originals. These new ones are bland.
The tone is more colorful on the OG
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomjab View Post
The tone is more colorful on the OG
Lol
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ima_jrk View Post
Just got mine yesterday and have a question about the filter cutoff. It seems that the cutoff doesn’t really start opening the filter until it gets a little past the 200hz hash mark. Is that the same for everyone?
It’s normal.
Old 4 weeks ago
They should have done the black edition of the Grandmother as they did (white writing on black with red buttons) but made the Matriarch white with black text, inverted key colors, and blue buttons.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Just stopped by to say that the 1-2 update failed in the middle for me—got as far as sending the INVALIDATE sysex and the Matriarch never rebooted as it should have afterward. After a couple of re-tries (as the notes suggest), with a couple of different USB cables, I ended up with a frozen Matriarch. It powers up, but no sound and controls are unresponsive. On power up, the sequencer light is still blinking the red-green signal from the failed step.

I have not seen other reports of this, but did notice a couple people on the Moog forum posted similar issues when doing the 1-1 update.

I will call Moog in the morning. In the meantime, just passing on the info fwiw, in case anyone else wants to wait a few days before updating. I’m guessing the current version of the update will work fine for most people.. but who knows?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by percussion boy View Post
Just stopped by to say that the 1-2 update failed in the middle for me—got as far as sending the INVALIDATE sysex and the Matriarch never rebooted as it should have afterward. After a couple of re-tries (as the notes suggest), with a couple of different USB cables, I ended up with a frozen Matriarch. It powers up, but no sound and controls are unresponsive. On power up, the sequencer light is still blinking the red-green signal from the failed step.

A couple people on the Moog Forum reported similar issues at different stages of the 1-1 update, so I guess this is a fun trick Moog products can do. (My Sequential, Elektron, and Novation synths have updated without issues, but then again they don’t need updates before they work right either.)

I will call Moog in the morning. Not looking for help here but wanted to pass on the info, in case anyone wants to wait a few days before updating. I’m guessing the update will work for most people, as 1-1 did ... but who knows?

fwiw
I expect you're aware of this, but just in case ... it's a good idea to use a USB slot that runs straight into your PC motherboard, and also avoid using USB hubs.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricera View Post
I expect you're aware of this, but just in case ... it's a good idea to use a USB slot that runs straight into your PC motherboard, and also avoid using USB hubs.
I was running straight out of the laptop. Thanks for the info.

edit: Forgot to say—Re the motherboard thing, I don’t know. Windows architecture is not something I know much about, beyond basic troubleshooting.

I’ll try to stop by the forum for a sec if the Moog people tell me something other users might need to know.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
It's ok. Now you can have it in black. All the problems and bugs are probably solved. Yay!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Hmm so about my synced delay wobble after updating the firmware and running some tests.

It is perfectly in sync now and the clock dividing using the 2 knobs works fine (the sensitivity is crazy though, can't move more than one mark without being in extreme territory). But instead of the wobble i get a slightly out of tune delay line now, just enough to feil irritating.

I'm running USB midi, clock from Ableton.

How's it working for everyone else?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker Moonfall View Post
they support extremist organizations.
Care to elaborate?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface View Post
Care to elaborate?
Please don't feed the trolls.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by percussion boy View Post

I have not seen other reports of this, but did notice a couple people on the Moog forum posted similar issues when doing the 1-1 update.

I will call Moog in the morning. In the meantime, just passing on the info fwiw, in case anyone else wants to wait a few days before updating. I’m guessing the current version of the update will work fine for most people.. but who knows?
I just updated mine and it didn't work on the first try, so as the doc suggested I tried again and it worked the second time. Not sure why I did this but the second try I had turned the rate knob down to getter a better reading on the blinking led. Don't know if this helped it work better or not though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetica View Post
I just updated mine and it didn't work on the first try, so as the doc suggested I tried again and it worked the second time. Not sure why I did this but the second try I had turned the rate knob down to getter a better reading on the blinking led. Don't know if this helped it work better or not though.
Interesting. Moving the rate knob didn’t work for me, but maybe it broke the spell on your machine.

I spoke with Moog today and we were able to get me back to a previous firmware but not to install 1.2. It sounds like there can be some trial and error before the update works.

Two FYIs:

1. Step 5 of the notes says “Matriarch reboots” after the INVALIDATE file loads—but my machine never rebooted. After talking with Moog support, it turns out you can do the power down and up manually once the file is done sending—ARP light should still blink red/green on powerup—then proceed starting at Step 6 (sending the ERASE file).

2. Support recommends sending the INVALIDATE file *twice* (Step 4).
Old 4 weeks ago
jvq
Gear Head

I also had trouble applying the 1.2.0 update. I tried several times and I'm not sure what I did "right" the last time. But it did go through.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

I hadn't run into any prior issues and am always leery of jumping early on updated computer OS's, let alone synth firmware. But the guys at the store said there could be added features, so what the heck. I ran it, and the light flashed like they said it would and it seems to play just as fine as before. (The dark matches other Moogs, along with my black and gold Odyssey. Oh well. It was a smart move by the company to attract the fence sitters.)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVO1982 View Post
Anyone use their Matriarch as a controller keyboard for their Eurorack rig?
Not exactly but I use it to (CV) control my TTSH and it works great. Why ur asking?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MProd View Post
Not exactly but I use it to (CV) control my TTSH and it works great. Why ur asking?
I was thinking of the Matriarch could pull double duty as a great 4 OSC analog and also sit in front of my eurorack where I could send out gate & pitch cv to control modules as well. Sounds like you already accomplish this with your Matriarch controlling your TTSH correct?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVO1982 View Post
I was thinking of the Matriarch could pull double duty as a great 4 OSC analog and also sit in front of my eurorack where I could send out gate & pitch cv to control modules as well. Sounds like you already accomplish this with your Matriarch controlling your TTSH correct?
Yes and it works very nice. Especially with firmware 1.2 which enables the arp outputs (gate, CV, velocity) to double as keyboard output.

Just beware that to set things up you have to dive in the (sometimes tedious) global settings. E.g. if you want to play your eurorack but don't want to play the Matriarch, you can do that but you have to disable local control and put it back after you are done (if you switch setups often like I do this is tedious, if you stick to 1 setup it's fine).

But all in all, many scenarios are possible. You can play your Eurorack with either the Matriarch's keyboard, Arpeggiator/Sequencer or both and if needed you can decouple these from the internal synth. And after decoupling you can patch everything back manually and e.g. send separate pitch info to all VCO's. It's really a very flexible machine. Next to gate/pitch you can use all the other CV's (LFO, Envelope) with your Eurorack, as well as the utilities. Also the Matriarch has an extra audio output especially for Eurorack audio levels and you can patch up to 5 audio signals from you eurorack into the mixer (replacing the noise or oscillators) of the Matriarch which has that very sweet overdrive. The mixer can even mix control voltages. The keyboard can send 0-10 and -5 to +5. Which is also convenient if you play with other gear that supports either.

There are some niggles but over all it's an amazing sounding flexible Maschine.

Oh and als long as you stay within the matriarch's ecosystem, you can even use the mults for (audio + CV!) mixing and as loopop has demonstrated you can even MIX the VCO's with stackables (although I'm still not sure why this is possible, but the manual states "Matriarch has been designed so that all of the audio and control signals available via the output patch points can be passively mixed"). Nothing you should try with the rest of your eurorack if you don't want to fry anything but within the Matriarch anything seems possible patching wise (I tried and it's still alive ;-))

Ok sorry this was beyond your question but figured I would explain about the patching possibilities besides CV/Pitch too.
Old 4 weeks ago
eb7
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've never been a huge fan of the color scheme, but this new one goes a bit too far in the opposite direction. If I had it as an option when I bought mine, I probably would've taken the black version, but I didn't have much trouble talking myself out of trying to make a trade.

Last edited by eb7; 4 weeks ago at 10:36 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker Moonfall View Post
Who asked you, weirdo? You're an elitist ****bag who has to photoshop his studio to impress strangers. **** off.
Gee, another clueless, self-entitled, hate-pedaling blow-hard joining Gearslutz to spew his fanatic conservatism to internet strangers on a Moog thread, what a surprise.

At least I have gear to make music. You have a weasel's half-brain.

Welcome to ignore butthole.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
Gee, another clueless, self-entitled, hate-pedaling blow-hard joining Gearslutz to spew his fanatic conservatism to internet strangers on a Moog thread, what a surprise.

At least I have gear to make music. You have a weasel's half-brain.

Welcome to ignore butthole.
Half the forum has your dumb ass on ignore, you smug dip****.
📝 Reply