The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ISLA Instruments SP2400
Old 19th May 2019
  #211
Gear Nut
SP2400 Update (source: facebook)

"Cad work is now complete and ready for manufacturing. (the previous enclosure was a customized 'off-the-shelf' console enclosure, not really production quality)
This is an all metal, folded sheet steel enclosure, with lovely 8mm thick aluminium side cheeks.seriously ooozing quality and sexiness...

Extra buttons have been added to the silicon pad assembly, Primarily, to make this a kick ass contender to the rc505 flagship desktop looper, (popular with the beatboxer fam) but also assignable for other stuff too.

Also, the addition of another 2 buttons above each fader, also assignable, but will be useful for some of our planned features. Note, that this has made the unit slightly larger overall, I didn't want to add buttons and have them steal the space already there, so there is about 30mm added to the overall depth of the unit.
You'll notice some re-arranging of buttons on the right of the unit, I walked myself back on the (lack of) numerical keypad thing, (it was a stupid idea, confirmed by a few others.. lol ) and so now you have keys 0-9 with shift and enter flanking the 0 digit. moving the encoder wheel up into the far top right of the unit.

So, what next? Well, firmware is being worked on, we're opting for the 'classic' workflow, with some obvious 'enhancements' (not having to menu dive, one button per function, choice of HiFi & LoFi channels, USB host etc) meaning that if you know the 1200, you will just be able to get straight on this and start cooking with it.

All our quotes for manufacturing the composite parts (steel enclosure, aluminium sides, control panel pcb, main audio pcb, internal power supply, etc) are coming in so we can now cost it all out.

Of course, all this costs money, and lots of it., so we'll be opening up for pre-orders soon, with a view to shipping in winter.

We're deciding against crowdfunding sites this time around, they take a sizable portion of the funds and I believe I have already proven our honesty, integrity and overall ability to bring a mass produced product to market from the KordBot kickstarter/indiegogo.

Pre-Orders will be opened first to our existing kordbot customers who will receive their units first, (after the 20 or so early units made for testers) and we'll then progress onto everyone else.

So, it soon time to put your money where your mouth is, it's up to you guys if this comes to market or not.."
Old 19th May 2019
  #212
Gear Nut
Fun fact: I played the "which is which?" game on isla instagram early today, and quite consistently distinguished the 2 machines.... But attributed the slightly muffled sound /bigger bass content to the OG, while it was in fact the SP2400.

I like it.

Anyway, the algo is on point, minor differences seem down to filtering.
Old 19th May 2019
  #213
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradholland View Post
bloody hell, Mick. stop hax0ring my interwebz...
take no notice of any info on that page, it's just for placeholder purposes (hence it not being live, you hacker..)
Haha, sorry Brad!

We are all just WAY too excited for this!
Old 20th May 2019
  #214
Gear Addict
 

It looks and sounds cool. The pads put me off slightly tho.

Looks like pre orders are happening soon with priority to Kordbot customers
Old 20th May 2019
  #215
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by akai_world View Post
It looks and sounds cool. The pads put me off slightly tho.
I'm fine with the pads ... it's the fact that they are illuminated that puts me off a bit.
It lacks the sober taste of timeless classics.
Anyway, those lights can be dimmed or turned off and... the machine sounds fine, which is the (my) main priority
Old 20th May 2019
  #216
Gear Addict
 

Why is there a lot less talk on GS with the ISLA compared to Lo_Hiss?
Old 20th May 2019
  #217
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by akai_world View Post
Why is there a lot less talk on GS with the ISLA compared to Lo_Hiss?
-Because low hiss went public with its project long before Isla instruments, and maintened an enjoyable flow of updates during all that time

-Isla already made a product (kordbot) that left some concerns and deceptions (euphemism) on some customers.
Some of them were quite vocal about it from the start of this thread, which led to the quasi desertion of Brad Holland (Isla). He still monitors this thread though.

I hope it sums it up nicely
Old 4 weeks ago
  #218
< deleted by moderator >
Those are/were facts, I'm not trashing anybody.

It was more a question to 'I'll go one further and say that the design form of lo hiss's version is more desirable".... how? what design form??

Oh, that's right, it's ok for anyone to talk **** about me, but I can't throw back, yeah?

Get off your 'you're not professional' soap box, your damn right I'm not, I'm a one man show doing what I love the most as my fulltime job.
I'm not pretending to be anything else,I'm quite happy and I'm doing just fine.

You know what astounds me? Nearly every single person that I have ever had an altercation with, or has bleated about a 'bad customer experience' that they had with me, is in this very thread, about 10 of you out of about 3500.

It's like a school playground in this place, and a good portion of you are just trolls.
Grow up, stop bitching, and go and make something yourselves instead of bashing on anyone actually trying to, you know, make something of themselves.

I'm out, seeya!

Last edited by Reptil; 4 weeks ago at 09:39 AM.. Reason: -
Old 4 weeks ago
  #219
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradholland View Post
< deleted by moderator >

It was more a question to 'I'll go one further and say that the design form of lo hiss's version is more desirable".... how? what design form??

Oh, that's right, it's ok for anyone to talk **** about me, but I can't throw back, yeah?

Get off your 'you're not professional' soap box, your damn right I'm not, I'm a one man show doing what I love the most as my fulltime job.
I'm not pretending to be anything else,I'm quite happy and I'm doing just fine.

You know what astounds me? Nearly every single person that I have ever had an altercation with, or has bleated about a 'bad customer experience' that they had with me, is in this very thread, about 10 of you out of about 3500.

It's like a school playground in this place, and a good portion of you are just trolls.
Grow up, stop bitching, and go and make something yourselves instead of bashing on anyone actually trying to, you know, make something of themselves.

I'm out, seeya!
Now I remember why I prefer the other project.

The "grow up" comment is especially rich.

Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited by Reptil; 4 weeks ago at 09:43 AM.. Reason: -
Old 4 weeks ago
  #220
Lives for gear
You can "seeya" to my cash after that undignified dummyspit
Old 4 weeks ago
  #221
Gear Addict
 

The amount of self righteousness on this thread against Brad is insane. But head over to the other SP thread and your all bickering amongst yourselves! Maybe Brad doesn't have the SP kudos the other developer has and the idea of a DIY option gives some of you a tingle. But Isla have far more proven themselves with past peoducts and I for one am a happy Kordbot owner and will continue to support.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #222
Here for the gear
 

Here what's saddening

The fact that Kordbot users get first dibs.

Instead of making it a first come first served basis.

Its almost like a reward for buying the Kordbot or because your a loyal follower or early adopter of the company.

The sp2400 has far more reach its essentially going to completely resurrect the sp1200 sound again not only soundwise but also seq wise.


My question is how many of the kordbot users are there that are truly interested in the sp2400 and will use it rather than just jumping on the bandwagon on getting one because they get first dibs.

Too his credit he truly is a one man show though

but the sp2400 could elevate him and his company beyond belief if its executed right

ill buy both once they are available and i can either pre order or buy outright

ive been wanting a sp1200 clone for awhile now

this hasn't even been done via vst either
Old 4 weeks ago
  #223
Lives for gear
 
cramseur's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by User59 View Post
Here what's saddening

The fact that Kordbot users get first dibs.

Instead of making it a first come first served basis.

Its almost like a reward for buying the Kordbot or because your a loyal follower or early adopter of the company.
It's strange that a criticism of a company is that they decide to reward customer loyalty. I got a free coffee mug from Sequentix when I bought my Cirklon. I thought it was a nice gesture. When the sp2400 comes out (I guess) I'll get "first dibs" as a Kordbot owner...without whom the sp2400 might not ever have been made.
Customer rewards are a good business move in my book.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #224
Lives for gear
 

Having options for beloved gear is a good thing.

But this guy here repeatedly comes off as a jerk, < deleted by moderator - too much >

The other maker is consistently positive, friendly, engaging, and more. That general difference in attitude is a large part of the draw to his SP-1200.

But I like cool gear, so I keep looking here occasionally to see what's up, and more often than not this dude here reminds me of that difference...

It is no more complicated than that.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by Reptil; 4 weeks ago at 09:44 AM.. Reason: -
Old 4 weeks ago
  #225
Gear Addict
 

I think the Isla is a safer bet. The guy has learnt, has gained manufacturing know how, got product to market and shifted 3000 units. I think this is good preparation for launching something like an SP clone. The other one is new territory and perhaps making the same mistakes Brad did with Kordbot with saying yes to practically everything. Plus all the faff and pitfalls with crowd funding.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #226
Gear Nut
As each machine has its own thread, if you all agree, i propose we try to avoid the SP competition that will inevitably turn into something ugly.

I find surprising that no one talked about the A/B comparison or even tried to play (i won't comment on numerous people just saying "first is A" ).
i thought everybody was waiting for sound snippets ?!

My interpretation was:
-That the pitch algorithm was successfully reverse-engineered
- That the analog path was probably a bit different, giving the SP-2400 its own and equally interesting audio qualities.
Top was less opened than the OG, masking a bit more the downpitching artefacts, but the low end was more present, giving a satisfying beefy sound (qualities i would have attributed to the OG)

If @ bradholland as any interest in coming back to talk about the product, i'd like to know if he is still tweaking the analog side, if the slightly dark character of the SP2400 is the result of the SSI filter (which, even fully open, could be darker than the original SSM) or other components in the path
Old 4 weeks ago
  #227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
< deleted by moderator >
< deleted by moderator >

@ Low hiss, I apologise to you directly if my comment came across as an insult. It was in no way intended to be like that.
I have mad respect for you and your project, it's unfortunate for us both, that we were both working on such similar projects concurrently. It won't be the first time it's happened in the industry, and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Somebody, who has now conveniently deleted their message,
This message has been deleted by Pajor Hill.

Said something to the effect of, "Yeah I prefer the design of the other project"
To which I replied, that last time I looked, it was built in a shoebox (nothing wrong with that whatsoever, it's a prototype) and maybe I should forget about tooling a cold rolled steel enclosure.
Yeah, it was a snarky comment to Pajor Hill, nobody else.
but again, my point is proven (to me at least) that a large chunk of the people here are just keyboard warriors looking to troll.
No interest in that whatsoever.

Anyone who is interested in my project can look up SP2400 users group on facebook, or follow my page for updates.

Last edited by Reptil; 4 weeks ago at 09:45 AM.. Reason: -
Old 4 weeks ago
  #228
Lives for gear
 

< deleted by moderator - let's not go there >
You should hire somebody to interact with potential customers.

Last edited by Reptil; 4 weeks ago at 09:36 AM.. Reason: -
Old 4 weeks ago
  #229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
< deleted by moderator - let's not go there >
You should hire somebody to interact with potential customers.



Calm down

Last edited by Reptil; 4 weeks ago at 09:36 AM.. Reason: -
Old 4 weeks ago
  #230
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradholland View Post
< deleted by moderator >
It was more a question to 'I'll go one further and say that the design form of lo hiss's version is more desirable".... how? what design form??

Oh, that's right, it's ok for anyone to talk **** about me, but I can't throw back, yeah?

Get off your 'you're not professional' soap box, your damn right I'm not, I'm a one man show doing what I love the most as my fulltime job.
I'm not pretending to be anything else,I'm quite happy and I'm doing just fine.

You know what astounds me? Nearly every single person that I have ever had an altercation with, or has bleated about a 'bad customer experience' that they had with me, is in this very thread, about 10 of you out of about 3500.

It's like a school playground in this place, and a good portion of you are just trolls.
Grow up, stop bitching, and go and make something yourselves instead of bashing on anyone actually trying to, you know, make something of themselves.

I'm out, seeya!


I, like others, follow you on fb. Followed the kordbots progress too even though I didnt think it was a product I needed (love the big ups the postie gets )


But if you think engaging with negative posters online is a way to push your product then its poor marketing, no matter how slighted you think you have been.

Let your product speak for itself and leave this mess or itll do way moredamage than good...look how Kevin, Tors replscement Scotty, and Dan, who take a power of whines deal with it...or how some others dont.

Best of luck, theres room for two...may the best SP win (with the other making a reasonable profit)

Last edited by Reptil; 4 weeks ago at 06:16 PM.. Reason: -
Old 4 weeks ago
  #231
Gear Addict
 

I think Brads best bet is recruiting old Bungle above to handle future PR. If you are unhappy the product lacks Apples finish or that previous customers get priority or any other precarious guff- contact Bungle on behalf of ISLA. He will take your address and personally deal with you face to face
Old 4 weeks ago
  #232
Gear Addict
 

Love it when ISLA release another demo and the silence on this thread is golden
Old 4 weeks ago
  #233
Gear Maniac
 
Tangent's Avatar
 

He sold the kordbot as a sequencer, three years on there is no sequencer and "one man band" decides to move onto new product. These are the facts



Where is the Kordbot sequencer?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #234
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
He sold the kordbot as a sequencer, three years on there is no sequencer and "one man band" decides to move onto new product. These are the facts



Where is the Kordbot sequencer?
Literally who gives a flying shiiiiiit? The Kordbot works perfectly at what its designed for. It creates chords, inversions, scales.

Do you guys moan when Elektron bring out more gear when not fully completed Overbridge? Or when Behringer jump around from product to product with little support or when TE offer very little after care for premium devices?

Also remember the programming side of things is not down to Brad - thats another guy. They have done amazingly well just keeping up with the manufacturing.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #235
Gear Maniac
 
Tangent's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by akai_world View Post
Literally who gives a flying shiiiiiit?
Literally, some people do. The sequencer was even promised to be upgraded once the 150k goal was reached, it was a stretch target they were selling for pledges on kickstarter way back. So....


Where is the Kordbot sequencer?

Old 4 weeks ago
  #236
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
Literally, some people do. The sequencer was even promised to be upgraded once the 150k goal was reached, it was a stretch target they were selling for pledges on kickstarter way back. So....


Where is the Kordbot sequencer?

There is a massive OS overhaul planned for the summer I believe. So hopefully the sequencer will be implemented then and you can play it for 10 minutes, get bored and find something else to bicker about.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #237
Gear Maniac
 
Tangent's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by akai_world View Post
There is a massive OS overhaul planned for the summer I believe. So hopefully the sequencer will be implemented then and you can play it for 10 minutes, get bored and find something else to bicker about.
Yes I've heard this but we've been hearing the sequencer will be released soon for years now to no avail. I would've thought it made good sense to just release a Kordbot OS with the sequencer before deciding to unveil a new product, infact that would literally make better business sense.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #238
Gear Addict
 

I see your point. But maybe releasing a fresh new exciting OS would (possibly) mean more KB orders and less time for new products?

The SP2400 feels more a collaborative effort with programmers based in Germany and a little army of beta testers. The KB was essentially 2 people. I was initially a little sceptical but the demos (so far) have been really positive
Old 4 weeks ago
  #239
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by akai_world View Post
Do you guys moan when Elektron bring out more gear when not fully completed Overbridge?
It's an echo chamber maintained by people < deleted by moderator - a bit too insulting, even when not directly at a person >

Brad's mistake with the kordbot was promising a sequencer, and using cheap components. I think the complaints here are because the machine is a great idea but executed poorly- people wanted the Kordbot to be better made, because it's unique...

Last edited by Reptil; 4 weeks ago at 11:29 PM.. Reason: -
Old 4 weeks ago
  #240
mp3
Lives for gear
 

If you guys were to take the time and energy you spend whining about a chord generator and actually apply it to learning how to generate chords...

If you did so for a month you'd be proficient. If you had done so between the day the Kordbot was released and today, you'd all be experts right now.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Fidgit / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
68
pbdlugoss / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
1
bradholland / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
14
bradholland / Product Alerts older than 2 months
10

Forum Jump
Forum Jump