The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ISLA Instruments S2400
Old 20th March 2020
This is shaping up pretty great. Can’t wait to see how sample slicing/pad assignment is working and of course sequencing.
Old 21st March 2020
When I saw him turn that potentiometer and hear instantly the sound on Facebook this morning , my jaw literally drop.

In complete honesty, I was NEVER hoping for that sort of a beast machine.
Old 27th March 2020
Gear Addict
Lets hope for a nice weekend progress update...
Old 29th March 2020
Lives for gear

Last two days of the intro price. Was really hoping we'd see some updates and see some sequencer action to help me make the hard call.

There's plenty of time until late May 2020 (ship estimate) for Isla to work out the initial problems - actually, that's just two months away.

Okay, read the last newsletter, looks like mid-to-late June if you order now.

Not sure what to do. Part of me says "just order it, if you hate it or you can take the beta period, you can sell it for $250-$300 more once it takes off". The other part of me says "it's worth it to wait and see."

Sold my Tempest (possible mistake), so I have the funds ready.

Thoughts?

I've had one great Kickstarter experience this year (Camera Bag). Another one has delayed shipping (MIDI Box), but I'm confident it'll arrive. Even though this isn't a Kickstarter, I'm just not sure what to do.

Sorry to express any doubt.
Old 29th March 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis_13 View Post
Last two days of the intro price. Was really hoping we'd see some updates and see some sequencer action to help me make the hard call.

There's plenty of time until late May 2020 (ship estimate) for Isla to work out the initial problems - actually, that's just two months away.

Okay, read the last newsletter, looks like mid-to-late June if you order now.

Not sure what to do. Part of me says "just order it, if you hate it or you can take the beta period, you can sell it for $250-$300 more once it takes off". The other part of me says "it's worth it to wait and see."

Sold my Tempest (possible mistake), so I have the funds ready.

Thoughts?

I've had one great Kickstarter experience this year (Camera Bag). Another one has delayed shipping (MIDI Box), but I'm confident it'll arrive. Even though this isn't a Kickstarter, I'm just not sure what to do.

Sorry to express any doubt.
I was also doubting and was about to sell my MPC 3000 before ordering it.

I finally decided to order it and kept my MPC 3000.

I dont see anything being a possible let down in the project. I think he made some honest mistake with his first project and he wont repeat them this time.

But I dont know how much you ''need'' the IS2400. In my case it was really just to had another color to the sampling textures and the added feature became clear to me that it would highly ease my workflow OTB.

I think only you can make that call. No one really know what the final product will really be but I'm personally confident that it wont be a let down on my expectation. It has all I really wanted and more.
Old 29th March 2020
Lives for gear

Also still on the fence about this. I've checked specs and watched vids, but don't feel like i know enough about the sequencer yet. Does any one know how similar/different it will be to the original? I actually am hoping for improvements rather than 1:1 copying--there was a lot that was frustrating about the SP sequencer that could easily be fixed.
Old 30th March 2020
Lives for gear

i didn't read through the entire thread, so please excuse my ignorance...

haven't found any info on the following questions on the isla website.

- does this machine have an 8 voice MONO polyphony like the OG sp1200 or more?
- how much RAM/sampling time does it have or is it working straight off the SD card?
- will waveforms be displayed in the sample trim/edit window, sort of like MPC's have?

also, i haven't found much info on the sequencer of the machine. is it "there", yet?

thanks
Old 30th March 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
i didn't read through the entire thread, so please excuse my ignorance...

haven't found any info on the following questions on the isla website.

- does this machine have an 8 voice MONO polyphony like the OG sp1200 or more?
- how much RAM/sampling time does it have or is it working straight off the SD card?
- will waveforms be displayed in the sample trim/edit window, sort of like MPC's have?

also, i haven't found much info on the sequencer of the machine. is it "there", yet?

thanks
Its working straight off the SD card and limited by the SD card capacity. I think I saw him try a 512GB sd card and it worked.

There's a video showing brad chopping the waveform. It is indeed a waveform showing on the display, not numbers.

I dont know about your 2 other questions.
Old 30th March 2020
Lives for gear

thanks!

i'm in.
Old 30th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
Its working straight off the SD card and limited by the SD card capacity. I think I saw him try a 512GB sd card and it worked.

There's a video showing brad chopping the waveform. It is indeed a waveform showing on the display, not numbers.

I dont know about your 2 other questions.
How is it that no one seems to know what the sequencer specifics are at this point? That seems like a pretty critical part to not have detailed up front.
Old 30th March 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruff View Post
How is it that no one seems to know what the sequencer specifics are at this point? That seems like a pretty critical part to not have detailed up front.
Well, I remember him saying that he got the sequencer as 96 ppq unlike the original but if I remember correctly, that was not the only mode. But dont quote me on that.
Old 30th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
Well, I remember him saying that he got the sequencer as 96 ppq like the original but if I remember correctly, that was not the only mode. But dont quote me on that.
I mean, I guess one just has to assume it's going to basically be the same simple live or step pattern/song sequencer until told otherwise. I'm not expecting MPC level, but it would have been great to have made it a bit more appropriate to what it is typically used for rather than how it was desinged (i.e., chromatic notes, not just pure drums). But I also got the sense you could sequence the filters? How is that implemented?
Old 30th March 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruff View Post
I mean, I guess one just has to assume it's going to basically be the same simple live or step pattern/song sequencer until told otherwise. I'm not expecting MPC level, but it would have been great to have made it a bit more appropriate to what it is typically used for rather than how it was desinged (i.e., chromatic notes, not just pure drums). But I also got the sense you could sequence the filters? How is that implemented?
Hey man, I have the memory of a pre Alzheimer intoxicated dude that got cut by his wife in his car with an half naked younger women. In other word, I dont remember perfectly what he said. Dont quote me on what I said about the sequencer, its not my project and I dont want to be responsible for the assumption of what I think I read a few weeks ago. Im just not sure.
But shes just a friend, that I swear !
Old 30th March 2020
Gear Guru

The reason there's no decent info on the seq: is because he hasn't released any yet, I know that's obvious but there we go.

Based on the quality of the rest of the machine I see no reason not to make the assumption it'll be very good and get better later
Old 30th March 2020
Here for the gear

It’s going to have 24ppq ,48ppq selectable per track , as mentioned earlier and 24 ppq being to the original Sp
Old 30th March 2020
See, I always get cut pants down !
Old 31st March 2020
I really haven't released much info on it yet, that's why.
You have to understand, whether you like it or not, that a lot of this is done by the seat of our pants, and on the fly.
We/I don't have tons of time to sit there and write a rock solid spec of a machine that 'I' think is the best, when I might have it all wrong and it be a piece of ****. That would be a huge waste of time.

We/I work 'agile'. I come up with ideas we discuss them, and maybe implement them or I get told that it's a ****ing stupid idea and we move on.
The best bits stay in, the **** gets cut out (or doesn't make it in)

I've said before, think about the OG, take its essence/workflow, and give it some steroids and 21st century flavours without having a million functions that nobody uses.

Watch my snippets, that I post as and when I have them, and either get sold and sucked into the magical mystery world that is Isla Instruments, or wait on the sidelines and bide your time (and pay more)

<3
Old 31st March 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradholland View Post
either get sold and sucked into the magical mystery world that is Isla Instruments, or wait on the sidelines and bide your time (and pay more)

<3
Already sucked in, looks great. When is the pre-order price changing?

Have no income due to lockdown at the moment, so can't order right now.
Old 31st March 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicFur View Post

Why does it matter when the price changes then?

I mean no offence but come on, back it now or back it later, or don't.

People will adopt early and save a bit of cash but gain a bit of an occasional headache in the process, the rest will join later and pay a bit extra cash but save a bit in the headache.
Old 31st March 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
Why does it matter when the price changes then?

I mean no offence but come on, back it now or back it later, or don't.
It matters so I know how much I need to save by. I was simply asking because the Isla website doesn't say. If it doesn't concern you, why does it matter to you that I ask?
Old 31st March 2020
Lives for gear

Yeah. I'm waiting it out and paying more later once a 100% device is in hands and is shipping and whatever little quirks might exist on launch are ironed out.

I've no beef with Brad's approach. Some people love Pre-Ordering and Beta-Testing. Some enjoy the engagement of participating in making it. Cool, whatever.

I'll keep watching and waiting.

Looks great so far.

Dude won me over some months back with so many consistent and positive (in terms of effort) updates. I'm pretty sure they'll pull it off after the last six months or so of vids/news.
Old 31st March 2020
Gear Head

Quote:

In the newsletter update on the Isla Instruments site, today is listed as the last day to get the preorder price.
Old 31st March 2020
Gear Head

I put my order in last night. I've been following the build for a while now and have been continually impressed with what I've seen. Another thing that pushed me over the edge to purchase was the fact that it seems overbuilt. I hate when companies handicap their gear for profit or put limits in place purposely.
Old 31st March 2020
Lives for gear

Well I'll admit had I known 10 months ago I'd still be waiting for newsletter updates in April, I might have waited before spending my cash (the product was initially expected to be released last december). But of course it's the name of the game with these types of one man band projects (I'm still waiting for my spot on the Cirklon waiting list since 2015!). On the bright side, the end product looks a lot nicer than the early renderings and Brad has kept us in the loop on a semi-regular basis.
Old 31st March 2020
Lives for gear

Can you post the contents of the newsletter here?

I liked the FB page, I’ve looked at the News tab on the site, I’ve given my email and checked my junk folder and I can’t find an updated newsletter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRAUTOMATIC View Post
In the newsletter update on the Isla Instruments site, today is listed as the last day to get the preorder price.
Old 31st March 2020
Lives for gear

I don't go on FB, ever, so it's easy to miss things.

Cuckerberg can choke on a bag of rancid dicks.
Old 31st March 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRAUTOMATIC View Post
What's the link for the newsletter? I already looked on the site and Facebook page last week, but didn't see any updated news, and can't find any now either.
Old 31st March 2020
Lives for gear

Oh... I think he is referring to the newsletter linked to this forum last week. I don't think there's a new one today (yesterday).
Old 31st March 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis_13 View Post
Oh... I think he is referring to the newsletter linked to this forum last week. I don't think there's a new one today (yesterday).
Yes, This^^ Preorder info was posted in the beginning of March newsletter. Still up on the site.
Old 31st March 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
It matters so I know how much I need to save by. I was simply asking because the Isla website doesn't say. If it doesn't concern you, why does it matter to you that I ask?
a save by date matters not if you have no income, especially as the date is any day now

WTF

you posted in a forum therefore i replied, it matters not to me but you asked for any type of reply by asking, if you don't want answers that you don't like then don't ask questions.

did you contact Brad direct ? Common sense would drive me that way
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search