The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ISLA Instruments S2400
Old 7th March 2020
  #841
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
Even though I fully respect the name change (Roland/Pioneer weren’t so considerate), S2400 now makes me think of an Akai

SI2400 (Sampling Isla) or IS2400 would have been more logical imo but anyways it’s just a name and Brad’s obviously entitled to call it what he sees fit!

Pretty psyched about the announcement details. It’s looking pretty-pretty-prettay GOOD!
IS2400 is perfect I reckon
Old 7th March 2020
  #842
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmanzie View Post
If Isla hasn’t made a final decision here I would definitely recommend thinking again. People like to refer to the number and ‘S2400’ is in no man’s land - sounds like an Akai as you point out.
Yeah, he's going to end up in legal trouble if he does that. Akai seem more keen on bullsh!t then actually fixing an half decent product for the last decade so I wouldnt be surprised if they'd turn around and find trouble where there's none.

The IS2400, as mentioned before, make sense to me.
Old 7th March 2020
  #843
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
This. Would be great to have some help to understand that they don't want their product to be confused with E-MU, so they change their name as if it was belonging to a line of AKAI Pro samplers?

There is S612, S700, S900, S1000, S1100, S1000HD, S2000, S2800, S3000, S3000XL, S3200, S3200XL, S5000, S6000 (and probably more)

So that S2400 is something between S2000 and S2800?
There's also the Roland S-10, S-50, S-550, and SP-404, SP-505, SP-606, SP-555, SP-808.

SM has unfortunate connotations. SR is already used by Alesis. SL by Technics. SA is also not so hot.

S2400 is relatively innocuous, really.

comedy option:

Old 7th March 2020
  #844
Lives for gear
 
xanax's Avatar
Brand connotations aside though, those 2 or 3 letter model names usually had a meaning (SP "Sampling Percussion" / TR "Transistor Rhythm"/ LD "Linn Drum"/MC "Micro Composer"/MPC "Midi Production Center") and they fit the drum machine paradigm well. The single alphabet models were usually rack units with no sequencers (Akai S2000, Yamaha A3000, E-mu E6400 etc).

By this common convention, and due to heavy "hommage" logic would dictate a two-letter (plus 4 digit) model name. Just sayin'

PS: i do think IS2400 makes most sense without risking infringement or confusion.
Old 7th March 2020
  #845
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
There's also the Roland S-10, S-50, S-550, and SP-404, SP-505, SP-606, SP-555, SP-808.

SM has unfortunate connotations. SR is already used by Alesis. SL by Technics. SA is also not so hot.

S2400 is relatively innocuous, really.

comedy option:

I couldn't care less if they called it I-SLA Systems SP-1200, it's just it would be shame if such a great project found itself in trouble over a name. If they don't want to cross the path with E-Mu brand, then why step in AKAI territory?
Old 7th March 2020
  #846
Lives for gear
 
xanax's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
I couldn't care less if they called it I-SLA Systems SP-1200, it's just it would be shame if such a great project found itself in trouble over a name. If they don't want to cross the path with E-Mu brand, then why step in AKAI territory?
Agreed. Especially considering E-mu is virtually out the business with just a pair of headphones in its catalog (https://www.emu.com) while Akai are alive & kicking and almost exclusively about the sampling drum machine game (www.akaipro.com).

I'd tread carefully considering their reputation
Old 7th March 2020
  #847
Gear Head
 

The german speaking countries might not be the most important market for this, but over here IS stands for ISIS. How about PS 2400 - percussion sampler and as in a post scriptum...oh wait, never mind
With shipping and customs I wrote this off as too pricey for me until now, but since low hiss will probably be drowning in bugs for the unforseeable future, this currently seems like the only hw option. One thing that makes me a bit uncertain is that the sequencer seems to be a last minute addition if they're just implementing it a few weeks before shipping starts and that they won't have much time to test it. But this is pure speculation and a pre order like this is always a bit of a risk so I guess I just have to decide if it's worth it. If they present a decent presentation of the sequencer in the next few weeks i'll probably order it.
Old 7th March 2020
  #848
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OggyOgg View Post
The german speaking countries might not be the most important market for this, but over here IS stands for ISIS.
I was going to comment the same. IS=ISIS here in Scandinavia as well. Not exactly a positive abbreviation.
Old 7th March 2020
  #849
Lives for gear
 
xanax's Avatar
perfect.. ties in with period-accurate golden era hip-hop antics:





..seriously maybe do a poll or something?
Old 7th March 2020
  #850
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_A_P View Post
You do realize that the display on the s2400 probably has 3x the pixel density of the mpc60 right?
Yes, the MPC60 resolution/density is archaic/low and nowhere close to a modern oled... but, what I meant was, the large size of the MPC60 screen makes editing and song viewing much easier and ables you to view a lot on 1 single editing-page without menu-diving/scrolling.

eg: displays all 16 pads' levels, balance, pitch, etc., at the same time (without going to different pages).

Or, can view lots of play/record info at the same time (time, seq#, trk#, sig, bars, bpm, vel, on/off, mutes, etc.).

With high resolution, yes, you can obviously fit more or as much info; but if the overall screen size is small, you'll need a magnifying glass if that much info is put on a small screen, lol.

I assume you've never used an MPC60/3000, etc. though.
Old 8th March 2020
  #851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renge Miyauchi View Post
Yes, the MPC60 resolution/density is archaic/low and nowhere close to a modern oled... but, what I meant was, the large size of the MPC60 screen makes editing and song viewing much easier and ables you to view a lot on 1 single editing-page without menu-diving/scrolling.

eg: displays all 16 pads' levels, balance, pitch, etc., at the same time (without going to different pages).

Or, can view lots of play/record info at the same time (time, seq#, trk#, sig, bars, bpm, vel, on/off, mutes, etc.).

With high resolution, yes, you can obviously fit more or as much info; but if the overall screen size is small, you'll need a magnifying glass if that much info is put on a small screen, lol.

I assume you've never used an MPC60/3000, etc. though.
Come on man why the snark at the end. I’ve had and repaired both 60 and 3k. The 60 and 3000 are cool but in the end it’s just an old version of mpc with slow I/O. If that’s yer jam great.
Old 8th March 2020
  #852
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_A_P View Post
Come on man why the snark at the end. I’ve had and repaired both 60 and 3k. The 60 and 3000 are cool but in the end it’s just an old version of mpc with slow I/O. If that’s yer jam great.
Haha...not intended as a snark... just sounded like you never edited with its' big screen, since you mentioned pixel-density vs overall size.

To me, resolution/density vs size is kinda a moot point. It's like comparing the latest iPhone "retina display" with mega ultra 4k/6k/8k resolution/density vs. an old 13" laptop screen with only 1080hd resolution. Obviously, the older laptop screen with outdated resolution can display way more info than a tiny iPhone screen.


Anyways... if the S2400 will be as capable (or maybe even more capable) than my old MPC for sequencing other gear/synths/etc., I'd totally consider replacing it with a new S2400.
I don't mind learning a new workflow/machine, and obviously love the SP sound like everyone else. ...also working with floppies and other limitations of an old MPC60 isn't the best.
Old 8th March 2020
  #853
Gear Addict
 

I'd prefer IS2400
Old 8th March 2020
  #854
Lives for gear
 
xanax's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renge Miyauchi View Post
Anyways... if the S2400 will be as capable (or maybe even more capable) than my old MPC for sequencing other gear/synths/etc., I'd totally consider replacing it with a new S2400.
I don't mind learning a new workflow/machine, and obviously love the SP sound like everyone else. ...also working with floppies and other limitations of an old MPC60 isn't the best.
With its 6 midi ports, 99 tracks/patterns, sync options and solid timing, the MPC 60 remains a workhouse hardware sequencer even by today’s standards. Details of the S2400 sequencer are still kinda sketchy but what’s certain is the original SP sequencer really pales in comparison to an MPC60.
Old 14th March 2020
  #855
It got real quiet in here....

Is it the Coranusviral that got yall spooked like that ? Like Beavis historically said '' Y'all got TP for those bunholes?''

On my side, I decided to keep my MPC3000....It'll sit in my living room on the table by the side of my LP's library when I get back home (If they freakin let me in the country ).

I'll switch from MPC Master sequencer to DAW Master controlled. I currently have a midisport 4x4 and im on Win 10.

Anyone using a 8 in 8 out midi interface ? I read that theres some issues with the midisport 8x8 and the Motu midi Express 128 not being supported or constantly shutting down on WIN 10 pc.

I need to get more then 4 midi out....
Old 14th March 2020
  #856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
It got real quiet in here....

Is it the Coranusviral that got yall spooked like that ? Like Beavis historically said '' Y'all got TP for those bunholes?''

On my side, I decided to keep my MPC3000....It'll sit in my living room on the table by the side of my LP's library when I get back home (If they freakin let me in the country ).

I'll switch from MPC Master sequencer to DAW Master controlled. I currently have a midisport 4x4 and im on Win 10.

Anyone using a 8 in 8 out midi interface ? I read that theres some issues with the midisport 8x8 and the Motu midi Express 128 not being supported or constantly shutting down on WIN 10 pc.

I need to get more then 4 midi out....
I'm running an iConnectivity mio10 and very happy with the plethora of ports (10 x din in/out, MIDI host, 2 computers, ethernet etc.) and standalone routing capabilities.
I had problems with the Motu MIDI express XT, ditched everything MOTU due to unreliable company support.
Old 14th March 2020
  #857
Lives for gear
 

Just sold my Tempest. Waiting to see the sequencer demos...
Old 14th March 2020
  #858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
It got real quiet in here....

Is it the Coranusviral that got yall spooked like that ? Like Beavis historically said '' Y'all got TP for those bunholes?''

On my side, I decided to keep my MPC3000....It'll sit in my living room on the table by the side of my LP's library when I get back home (If they freakin let me in the country ).

I'll switch from MPC Master sequencer to DAW Master controlled. I currently have a midisport 4x4 and im on Win 10.

Anyone using a 8 in 8 out midi interface ? I read that theres some issues with the midisport 8x8 and the Motu midi Express 128 not being supported or constantly shutting down on WIN 10 pc.

I need to get more then 4 midi out....
Im still running an old 4x4 too. I was looking at the 8 channel racks but just picked up another 4x4 a while back. They're so cheap... and work.
Old 14th March 2020
  #859
Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
Im still running an old 4x4 too. I was looking at the 8 channel racks but just picked up another 4x4 a while back. They're so cheap... and work.
I didnt know we could stack them !

Which daw are you using and how are your midi port listed inside the daw ?
Old 14th March 2020
  #860
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
Anyone using a 8 in 8 out midi interface ? I read that theres some issues with the midisport 8x8 and the Motu midi Express 128 not being supported or constantly shutting down on WIN 10 pc.

I need to get more then 4 midi out....
Get https://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/esx8md.html or if you don't want to deal with that, https://www.esi-audio.com/products/m8uex/

Since there are now 64-bit drivers for the Steinberg Midex 8, you could take the risk on that as well. See https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=113528 .
Old 15th March 2020
  #861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
I didnt know we could stack them !

Which daw are you using and how are your midi port listed inside the daw ?
Actually I have a 4x4 and a 2x2. They’re on sep USB ports and I have no issue. I’m sure you can use 2 4x4s. They’d prob have a sep ID or something.

I use Studio One.
Old 15th March 2020
  #862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Get https://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/esx8md.html or if you don't want to deal with that, https://www.esi-audio.com/products/m8uex/

Since there are now 64-bit drivers for the Steinberg Midex 8, you could take the risk on that as well. See https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=113528 .
The esx8 seems to be a module that need to be put in a modular box...type of lunch box. Not quite sure what that is to be honest and its not the format im after.

The m8uex seems right but that would be nice if there was a possibility for rack ears to put in my rackmount. I'll be changing my ID44 for an appollo 8 (Or quite possibly a Craneborn 500r8 if I feel fancy enough ) for that exact reason. I dont have space to put stuff on top or by the side of my console. My room is too crowded now. There's always the idea of buying a shelf and putting the M8uex on it if thats my only way out.

The midex 8 would be the perfect format if I could find one with rack ears. The only one available on the bay now doesnt have the rack ears. And when you google Midex windows 10, that last story of that guy on the steinberg forum saying he gets a black screen if he doesnt diconnect his midex remember me those horible Motu nights I had. 2 years ago I was looking for a 8 in 8 out 24/96 expendar and got myself a 2408 after swearing to myself id never get one again and AGAIN, I ran into a nightmare. Those type of products are going to Musician hell for sure.

But id love the midex 8 to be a plug n play or simply install the driver and it worked. That would be perfect.

Last edited by Martel80; 15th March 2020 at 11:04 AM..
Old 15th March 2020
  #863
Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
Actually I have a 4x4 and a 2x2. They’re on sep USB ports and I have no issue. I’m sure you can use 2 4x4s. They’d prob have a sep ID or something.

I use Studio One.
Im on StudioOne as well.

But how do they list when you put up an instrument track and route to midi ?

Like are they going in sequence or how is it that your computer recognize them as sequential midi port if they come from different device ?

I mean, have you used them both to send midi signal to the 6 different midi out at the same time ?

My setup is quite simple but 'im lacking Midi out with the midisport 4x4 . ( I have the pale blue version, not the black one .)

With the IS2400 commin in June/July that would be my drum module.
My DW-8000 need one. The RD8 will need one as well. My asr10 will send and receive one and I was hoping to get a Poly D as well so that would be another midi out.

But im currious as to how your computer react or even acheive to see two different midisport and make them active at the same itme.
Old 15th March 2020
  #864
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmri View Post
I'm running an iConnectivity mio10 and very happy with the plethora of ports (10 x din in/out, MIDI host, 2 computers, ethernet etc.) and standalone routing capabilities.
I had problems with the Motu MIDI express XT, ditched everything MOTU due to unreliable company support.
I saw those the other day. It seem to be the most reliable route so far but at a cost eh !
Old 15th March 2020
  #865
Gear Head
 
monkiusz's Avatar
What now with shipping to Europe during corona crisis? No changes? You know - maybe world is dying but beats must hit hard!
Old 15th March 2020
  #866
666
Lives for gear
 
666's Avatar
Yeah I wish it was SI2400, but whatever. Still dont fully trust this till it's out.
Old 15th March 2020
  #867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
Im on StudioOne as well.

But how do they list when you put up an instrument track and route to midi ?

Like are they going in sequence or how is it that your computer recognize them as sequential midi port if they come from different device ?

I mean, have you used them both to send midi signal to the 6 different midi out at the same time ?

My setup is quite simple but 'im lacking Midi out with the midisport 4x4 . ( I have the pale blue version, not the black one .)

With the IS2400 commin in June/July that would be my drum module.
My DW-8000 need one. The RD8 will need one as well. My asr10 will send and receive one and I was hoping to get a Poly D as well so that would be another midi out.

But im currious as to how your computer react or even acheive to see two different midisport and make them active at the same itme.
Yea In S1 when I go to select the midi out I see all my midi extensions in a list. Both midi sports plus my NI Komplete 6. If you had 2 4x4s it might take a sec to identify which is which, but should work. I guess I can’t say with 100% certainty. Ud prob have to just select one and see which unit had mid coming out of it? Motu has an 8x8 to that would work well.
Old 15th March 2020
  #868
Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
Yea In S1 when I go to select the midi out I see all my midi extensions in a list. Both midi sports plus my NI Komplete 6. If you had 2 4x4s it might take a sec to identify which is which, but should work. I guess I can’t say with 100% certainty. Ud prob have to just select one and see which unit had mid coming out of it? Motu has an 8x8 to that would work well.
Motu doesnt support Win 10 in its Midi unit and the one that work weither possibly give you a BSOD or a black screen or simply wont power up until you ''reconnect'' it after rebooting .

I made the MOTU mistake twice in my life....never again.
Old 17th March 2020
  #869
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
Motu doesnt support Win 10 in its Midi unit and the one that work weither possibly give you a BSOD or a black screen or simply wont power up until you ''reconnect'' it after rebooting .

I made the MOTU mistake twice in my life....never again.
I made it once. Dreadful.

I’ve got an ESI rack mount 8 in and 8 out for sale in the UK if anyone is interested.
Old 20th March 2020
  #870
Little demo showing how fast the machine can preview wavs from the sd card.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump