The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ISLA Instruments S2400
Old 4th March 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bened View Post
that's pure speculation.
unless of course, you heard it from an akai official...

I want to say it a thread on some were. Anyway I'm get the 2400 . All I'm saying for a standalone I would wait. I don't plan on buying a standalone till next year. Even then I might get the octatrack mkii.
Mpc live mkii soon ??
Old 5th March 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by bened View Post
that's pure speculation.
unless of course, you heard it from an akai official...
I felt the achilles of the MPC One was the lack of internal battery.
That would make it the ultimate modern MPC, classic layout, nice big transport controls, portability, modern features etc.

I know the Live has one but it's very hard to gel with the ergonomics if you come from the classic machines.
Old 5th March 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_A_P View Post
So I’m thinking I need to get mine looked after. It’s my second 1200, and recordings of it do have some snap. This one is way fizzier. Aliases a lot harder and the bass isn’t there on any of the outputs. It’s one of the older black models with the linear power supply. My previous one was a switching power supply. Anyhoo like most of the time I’m just on here bull****ting about music gear not trying to lay down the definitive quote on every sp-1200 out there. Also not blaming the gear. I’m getting the sound I want, just not out of my sp 1200.
lets seea picture of the rear of the unit , black ones was a switching power supply its the og greys that had the superior linear ones
Old 5th March 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpc3kle View Post
lets seea picture of the rear of the unit , black ones was a switching power supply its the og greys that had the superior linear ones
Yeah Im thinking I got an early black unit- it has the thin slider caps and the linear power supply. I will post a picture when I get home.
Old 5th March 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Yeah Im thinking I got an early black unit- it has the thin slider caps and the linear power supply. I will post a picture when I get home.
if its got a fuse and voltage selector its got the linear power supply, thin sliders ftw
Old 5th March 2020
Quote:
if its got a fuse and voltage selector its got the linear power supply, thin sliders ftw
yep- it does...
Old 5th March 2020
Lives for gear

Been following this for a while now, looks like a really great project with top notch attention to detail and quality.
Old 6th March 2020
Finally decided to give it a shot and ordered a 2400 today.

I also decided to keep my MPC 3000 as well.

I'm really curious to hear what this 2400 will bring to the table concretely. Hopefully it'll match the flavor i'm hoping to achieve on Drums and percussion set. Hollow not being one of them.
Old 6th March 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmri View Post
I felt the achilles of the MPC One was the lack of internal battery.
That would make it the ultimate modern MPC, classic layout, nice big transport controls, portability, modern features etc.

I know the Live has one but it's very hard to gel with the ergonomics if you come from the classic machines.
So you are saying other than missing batteries, the One is ultimate modern MPC. Im battling between it and ISLA
Old 6th March 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludar View Post
So you are saying other than missing batteries, the One is ultimate modern MPC. Im battling between it and ISLA
If I was buying something that I can carry around that would be my choice.
I don't think the two can really be compared tho.

If you want to sequence other gear / synths / eurorack etc. and better portability go for the MPC.

If you want character, analog filters, simple workflow, possibly a very powerful looper, go for the SP-2400. We don't know much about the MIDI sequencing capabilities, but I doubt it will ever be as powerful as the MPC line.

However, the SP-2400 with the daughterboard filter card opens up future possibilities for sampling synthesizer capabilities, I could imagine using it as an 8 voice synthesizer module with 8 analog filters, like the EMAX I rack.
Those shoot up in price recently going for 1k, if ISLA would add ADSR envelopes, keyboard filter tracking and other synth like specs I would definitely consider it just for that. Lot of potential.

Same with the timecode vinyl possibilities and the 2 phono preamps.

However ISLA has a history of promising features and not delivering them (ex. Kordbot sequencer). This might be the time that they straighten this out, but be careful with what you believe.

The SP-2400 will also go up in price when it get's officially released, you can get an MPC One at any time, probably much cheaper as well on the second hand market.
You have to buy the daughter card as an extra as well. Probably 2-300 bucks.

So it really depends what you want to do with it.
Old 6th March 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
If I was buying something that I can carry around that would be my choice.
I don't think the two can really be compared tho.

If you want to sequence other gear / synths / eurorack etc. and better portability go for the MPC.

If you want character, analog filters, simple workflow, possibly a very powerful looper, go for the SP-2400. We don't know much about the MIDI sequencing capabilities, but I doubt it will ever be as powerful as the MPC line.

However, the SP-2400 with the daughterboard filter card opens up future possibilities for sampling synthesizer capabilities, I could imagine using it as an 8 voice synthesizer module with 8 analog filters, like the EMAX I rack.
Those shoot up in price recently going for 1k, if ISLA would add ADSR envelopes, keyboard filter tracking and other synth like specs I would definitely consider it just for that. Lot of potential.

Same with the timecode vinyl possibilities and the 2 phono preamps.

However ISLA has a history of promising features and not delivering them (ex. Kordbot sequencer). This might be the time that they straighten this out, but be careful with what you believe.

The SP-2400 will also go up in price when it get's officially released, you can get an MPC One at any time, probably much cheaper as well on the second hand market.
You have to buy the daughter card as an extra as well. Probably 2-300 bucks.

So it really depends what you want to do with it.
That one I already have, but what can I do.. sucker of vintage samplers. Thing is they're fine in the studio but you can't build sensible live setup.
Old 6th March 2020
Quote:
Heres the back. Im thinking this is just an early rev 2 unit, model number is 7030.

Just looked up the serial number and its 11(November) 92(1992) #137 . so this is definitely an early reissue...
Attached Thumbnails
ISLA Instruments S2400-img_1845.jpg  

Last edited by S_A_P; 6th March 2020 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: serial number confirms hybridness
Old 6th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

If you want character, analog filters, simple workflow, possibly a very powerful looper, go for the SP-2400.

We don't know much about the MIDI sequencing capabilities, but I doubt it will ever be as powerful as the MPC line.
If it could be at least as capable as the simple MPC60 (doesn't need to be as capable as the modern ones), I'd be totally content.

I've been wondering this too. I have an MPC60 as main-sequencer and wondering if the Isla could actually replace it.

Love the sound and analog filters of the SP1200, but I also like making jams completely in the MPC60 (sequencing all my other synths, racks, samplers, etc. from it)

But yeah, we don't know details on the Isla2400 sequencer yet. I also kinda doubt it'll be as capable as the MPC line.

Another reason I doubt it'll be as capable, is the Isla2400's LCD screen is very small and wont be able to display as much editing-info as the larger MPC60 LCD screen.
Old 7th March 2020
Gear Head

Newest update

https://mailchi.mp/islainstruments/march2020

Now called the S2400
Old 7th March 2020
Just read Brads email. Pretty damn excited!!!!
Old 7th March 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renge Miyauchi View Post
If it could be at least as capable as the simple MPC60 (doesn't need to be as capable as the modern ones), I'd be totally content.

I've been wondering this too. I have an MPC60 as main-sequencer and wondering if the Isla could actually replace it.

Love the sound and analog filters of the SP1200, but I also like making jams completely in the MPC60 (sequencing all my other synths, racks, samplers, etc. from it)

But yeah, we don't know details on the Isla2400 sequencer yet. I also kinda doubt it'll be as capable as the MPC line.

Another reason I doubt it'll be as capable, is the Isla2400's LCD screen is very small and wont be able to display as much editing-info as the larger MPC60 LCD screen.
You do realize that the display on the s2400 probably has 3x the pixel density of the mpc60 right?
Old 7th March 2020
Quote:
You do realize that the display on the s2400 probably has 3x the pixel density of the mpc60 right?
Actually, despite it being an oled which you can view from any angle, it's only 128x64 resolution.

Still, way more than the OG, and we all did alright with that, right?

Moreover, most of the functions have a dedicated button, so little menu diving.
Old 7th March 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradholland View Post
Actually, despite it being an oled which you can view from any angle, it's only 128x64 resolution.

Still, way more than the OG, and we all did alright with that, right?

Moreover, most of the functions have a dedicated button, so little menu diving.
May be similar resolution but I’m sure the pixels are still packed a lot closer. Of course who am I to argue with the creator.
Old 7th March 2020
Very nice follow up on the newsletter there, Loretta.

12 to 13 weeks from now as I placed my order today is totally acceptable. The 5th bank is also a VERY nice addition.

And the 24 ppq is perfect and on top of that being able to adjust the swing on the fly !!!!

Pretty incredible what a man with a vision can do in so little time...

Like one would say.. ZOMG !!!
Old 7th March 2020
Gear Maniac
To the moderators: could you please change the title to " ISLA Instruments S2400 " ?
Thanks.
Old 7th March 2020
Lives for gear

Even though I fully respect the name change (Roland/Pioneer weren’t so considerate), S2400 now makes me think of an Akai

SI2400 (Sampling Isla) or IS2400 would have been more logical imo but anyways it’s just a name and Brad’s obviously entitled to call it what he sees fit!

Pretty psyched about the announcement details. It’s looking pretty-pretty-prettay GOOD!
Old 7th March 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
The 5th bank is also a VERY nice addition
That 5th bank is an awesome addition. It makes this already irresistible box even more irresistible.

zOMG indeed !!!
Old 7th March 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
Even though I fully respect the name change (Roland/Pioneer weren’t so considerate), S2400 now makes me think of an Akai

SI2400 (Sampling Isla) or IS2400 would have been more logical imo but anyways it’s just a name and Brad’s obviously entitled to call it what he sees fit!

Pretty psyched about the announcement details. It’s looking pretty-pretty-prettay GOOD!
This. Would be great to have some help to understand that they don't want their product to be confused with E-MU, so they change their name as if it was belonging to a line of AKAI Pro samplers?

There is S612, S700, S900, S1000, S1100, S1000HD, S2000, S2800, S3000, S3000XL, S3200, S3200XL, S5000, S6000 (and probably more)

So that S2400 is something between S2000 and S2800?
Old 7th March 2020
I honestly don’t care if it’s called the s2400, the lit beat hot fiyah machine or super duper looper scooper. It’s arbitrary. It was nice of Brad to accommodate Dave.

Plus lets not lose site so close to the finish line
Old 7th March 2020
Lives for gear

Yeah my comment was merely anecdotal. I'm not losing any sleep over a moniker, i just found it was funny/odd that instead of thinking of E-mu SPs the new name now reminds (us old heads) of Akai S line. It's just like TB-xxx/TR-xxx makes you think of Roland. Or MPC-xxxx / SP-xxxx instantly got you thinking Akai/E-mu. That is why "homage" companies like Borgzinger had to change their Roland inspired products names to "TD" "RD" etc

edit: maybe paranoid here, but knowing how Nukai are lawyer-trigger-happy, it would really be a shame if they still held a patent towards S-XXXX hardware samplers. That kind of thing could potentially wreck havoc and sink the company before the product is even released. Of course the fact S2400 is a competing product to their MPC line wouldn't help the matter (i.e no mercy). just some food for thought, hope Brad looked into this as far as copyright clearancing etc.
Old 7th March 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.Swift View Post
Newest update

https://mailchi.mp/islainstruments/march2020

Now called the S2400
Is it based now on Akai S2000

On serious note..
"The S2400 will also have a '5th' bank which will be 8 Tracks of MIDI only sequencing to allow you to control external MIDI gear!

This is great news! I'm going to put this on Emax Rack
Old 7th March 2020
Lives for gear

SP-16 got away with it. We need some new funky letters! How about... L
Old 7th March 2020
Gear Nut

Anyone here who pre-ordered from Europe?
Old 7th March 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmanzie View Post
SP-16 got away with it. We need some new funky letters! How about... L
I must admit that taken out and compared to the Akai S2000 and S2800, its kind of confusing haha.
Old 7th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
I must admit that taken out and compared to the Akai S2000 and S2800, its kind of confusing haha.
If Isla hasn’t made a final decision here I would definitely recommend thinking again. People like to refer to the number and ‘S2400’ is in no man’s land - sounds like an Akai as you point out.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search