The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Poly synth setup Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Poly synth setup

Hey, I'm a classical pianist and recently began moving into electronic music.

Im very much inspired by Nils Frahm.

Currently my setup is a Yamaha P115 digital piano, an Octatrack and a Novation Monostation.
I use the octatrack as a sampler, looper, drum machine and effects unit. Monostation for bass lead sounds.

I go between down tempo techno to ambient music and then to classical.

I would like to ditch the monosynth, because I feel quite limited by it. It doesn't really fit into the music I want to make and I bought it not really knowing what I was doing. I feel a polysynth is a better fit for my music.

I'm considering buying a Prophet 12, I would like to get the desktop module to save on space, and wondering if it's possible to control it with my Yamaha P115 which has USB To Host.

Also how does the P12 integrate with an Octatrack, has anyone tried this?

Are there any other synth recommendations that could be a better fit?

Also I'm not sure if this is an additional constraint, but I also need to control the octatrack with a midi peddle for hands free looping. Any suggestions regarding this would be helpful, as it seems there aren't many options available for this.

Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
For $150 you can get an iConnectivity mio4.

This little wonder lets you integrate both USB and DIN MIDI devices. And you can also connect your computers and mobile devices as well. It's even powered over USB.

As you expand your studio, it will become an essential hub. You start small with your setup, and don't have to worry in the future if your device will integrate since it handles all kinds of MIDI connections.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I’d say that the Prophet 12 is a very well appointed synth that should keep you busy for a long time, but don’t ditch the analog mono. I can’t speak to that one, but with the Bass Station 2, and other mono analogs, they’re just voiced a bit differently and can go places that polyphonic synths either can’t or can’t do as well. That said, unless you’re super into the sequencer or sound on the Mono Station, I’d say look into something else.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
And I would agree that you want to go for a poly synth. Your options are many, and the P12 may be a good fit. The desktop module is pretty small yet accessible.

However, since you're classically trained and want to dabble into electronic music, I would suggest something like an Integra 7 would be more appropriate. It's got 16 channels you can access at once with controllers set up appropriately.

The woodwinds, brass, pianos, guitars, strings are pretty good, and many of them include articulations that are accessible via switch, aftertouch, pitch bend or mod wheel. More than just gimmicks, they do add real expression -- volume swells, brass falls, guitar harmonics, etc. It even detects when you play legato versus staccato, allowing things like guitar slides or woodwind slurs.

And it's no slouch on the electronica side either. Roland's entire legacy is in this 6000 sound box. The polysynth pads and synth brass, electronic bass, the leads, and the drums are super good too. The snares even have rolls and flams. The drums are on par with Roland's big e-drum sets.

For the price and the functionality, springing for an Integra 7 versus the Prophet 12 will serve you better in the long run. I had a Prophet 12 module but returned it after only 3 weeks, mostly because I personally wasn't too fond of the cold Curtis filters in it. Hope that helps.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Behringer DM12D might be an option.

Inspired by Nils Frahm I'd be grabbing a Juno 60 and a tape echo. Keith Mcmillen Soft Step might be what you're after for MIDI footswitches?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search