The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Suitably fat desktop poly for cheap? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 14th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Suitably fat desktop poly for cheap?

Literally asking for a friend, haha. Sans account, so ...

Is there such a thing as a great-sounding analog or hybrid desktop poly (even 4-voice is fine), with at least a mostly immediate interface (menu-diving not wanted), and enough modulation options to allow for a wide variety of sounds ... all for around the $1200 mark or less?

Used is okay, provided it’s likely to come up anywhere in the next, say, few months.
Old 14th February 2019
Lives for gear

ambika
Old 14th February 2019
Gear Nut

Novation Peak!
Old 14th February 2019
Lives for gear

What the_soulcatcher said
Old 14th February 2019
Lives for gear

At that price you're basically going to get a Peak or a Nord Rack. If you're willing to eschew the knobby interface restriction it opens up a lot more options like Ambika, Blofeld, Micromonsta, etc.
Old 14th February 2019
Lives for gear

What mjudge said ...
Old 14th February 2019
Lives for gear

you said cheap... then said $1200, so...

if you want to spend it all, definitely peak.

if you want to spend less and are actually fine with only 4 voices, the system-1m.
Old 14th February 2019
Lives for gear

Get an access virus c. sold mine for £350 s/h, but funded other stuff. About as good as an analog sounding synth gets for that money.
If I need to downsize or need to release funds, that is no 1 on the list.
Old 14th February 2019
Lives for gear

How about a deep mind 12d it's half the price and gives you so much more.
Old 14th February 2019
best analogue poly for that money is DSI Prophet 08 used or Rev 2
Old 15th February 2019
I had a Rev2 16-voice and returned it. I think the Deepmind 12 covers a lot more sonic ground and sounds great overall. I got a brand new DM12D rackmount for only $450, so that would leave you $750 towards something else. A used or B-stock Roland System-8 is another consideration ($1,100-$1,200), but the DM12 sounds more analog-ey (because it's true-analog and the S8 is a VA, basically a VST in a box).

If I were going for a DSI sound, I would choose a used or B-stock OB-6 desktop ($1,400-$1,500) over the Rev2 16-voice in a heartbeat.
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
I had a Rev2 16-voice and returned it. I think the Deepmind 12 covers a lot more sonic ground and sounds great overall. I got a brand new DM12D rackmount for only $450, so that would leave you $750 towards something else. A used or B-stock Roland System-8 is another consideration ($1,100-$1,200), but the DM12 sounds more analog-ey (because it's true-analog and the S8 is a VA, basically a VST in a box).

If I were going for a DSI sound, I would choose a used or B-stock OB-6 desktop ($1,400-$1,500) over the Rev2 16-voice in a heartbeat.
What he said.
Old 15th February 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwalkerjr View Post
What he said.
Thirded. With that budget, buying used, and some luck and patience, you might be able to score a DM12D AND a Peak. Which would cover a LOT of sonic territory.
Old 15th February 2019
for hybrid i'd go Ambika. which could leave enough $$ for something else. like Virus B. knobby VA, musical sounding, great pads etc. that combo would be my choice.

alternatively, Novation Peak. on one hand, it can do more: solid virtual analog with real analog multimode filters, three oscillators, filter fm, and good wavetabling capability, especially since the last big update.

otoh, for typical warm hybrid sounds Ambika still has the edge for me. and just incredible, liquid sounding filter. not multimode, but imo better than on Novation.
Old 15th February 2019
Gear Head

Read what the OP wrote

The OP wanted a desktop synth with a fat sound and without any menu diving. So why are three posters recommending the Deepmind, which requires menu diving to access many basic parameters?
Old 15th February 2019
Deleted 859c1b8
For $1200 U.S. you might be able to find an Abyss.
Its got analog covered.
Not real time, but you can set up some interesting sounds.
Old 15th February 2019
Novation Peak... Deepmind.... if you can do without a desktop the new Minilogue XD maybe.
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
best analogue poly for that money is DSI Prophet 08 used or Rev 2
Great suggestion.

How about a used polyevolver?

I was going to go PEAK 100% but you have a great suggestion and I think a PE desktop belongs on this list (if it hasn't already been mentioned).

Greg
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedlekin View Post
The OP wanted a desktop synth with a fat sound and without any menu diving. So why are three posters recommending the Deepmind, which requires menu diving to access many basic parameters?
and doesn't even sound fat...
Old 16th February 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedlekin View Post
The DM has a pretty intuitive and quick interface. Yes, there is a menu for many parameter groups, but no submenus. It’s not knob-per-function, but I would hardly call the DM a menu-diving synth. Try Blofeld or others for that.
Old 16th February 2019
Lives for gear

Please, tell your friend to save a couple/few hundo more for a Prophet-6 desktop... for the love of all that is fat as$ & flexible subtractive synthesis... all easy-access on the pretty panel. Probably the best value for juicy VCO poly goodness going, because of the special sonics. That extra money is being well spent on a fantastic keeper synth.

Also, I’m going to be another decenting voice to say DM12 is not a good choice. Had one, sent it back... and yes, lots of menu-itis and unflattering signature DCO resonance on everything. No comparison to Sequential 6, or OB 6, imo.

When your talking fat polys, the Pro (and O) kinda wrote the book. Still going strong in the 6 lines.

Old 17th February 2019
Gear Head

I got a new rev2 for 999 with shipping and tax when the used one I ordered was not in stock
Old 17th February 2019
Here for the gear

Modor NF1
Old 17th February 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
For $1200 U.S. you might be able to find an Abyss.
Its got analog covered.
Not real time, but you can set up some interesting sounds.
I’d go Abyss, for sure.
Old 17th February 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
Please, tell your friend to save a couple/few hundo more for a Prophet-6 desktop... for the love of all that is fat as$ & flexible subtractive synthesis... all easy-access on the pretty panel. Probably the best value for juicy VCO poly goodness going, because of the special sonics. That extra money is being well spent on a fantastic keeper synth.

Also, I’m going to be another decenting voice to say DM12 is not a good choice. Had one, sent it back... and yes, lots of menu-itis and unflattering signature DCO resonance on everything. No comparison to Sequential 6, or OB 6, imo.

When your talking fat polys, the Pro (and O) kinda wrote the book. Still going strong in the 6 lines.

Agreed, but the Abyss sounds really good to me too.
Old 18th February 2019
Here for the gear
Vermona PERfourMER Mk 2
Old 18th February 2019
Gear Head

Ita not hard. At that price, desktop synth, mostly knob per function if not all knobs - you have 2.

Peak and Rev 2 8 voice. The peak is cheaper but is digital waveforms. t has more oscillators but not quite as good FX or Mod matrix (still good though). It can do limited FM and wavetables though.

I tried both, a lot, and went for a Peak in the end. Dont regreat it - but either are great.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search