The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gear Eye For The Slutz Guy Desktop Synthesizers
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Much better, congrats!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

The new desk looks nice and all (and it does look really nice), but it seems quite a bit less functional than before, with less gear at the ready. Right?

Like, the way it used to be was designed by a musician who placed function over form, and the new way by a musician's wife who did the reverse.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge View Post
Get one of these to put under your Dominion 1...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by didlisquat View Post
I like the new set up much better, but a monitor stand/riser for the Tempest would be a nice touch. This might have too much bounce, but something along the lines of :

https://www.amazon.com/Monitor-Vente...stand%27&psc=1
Yeah, I’m going to have to look into some night/angle solutions, especially for the Kemper. Overall, it’s ergonomically already a big improvement. I’m sure I’ll start noticing where I could use some adjusting.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by didlisquat View Post
Might be the case, but the comment on here stunk of cabin fever.
There’s been a steady rise in Shreddoggie’s aggression towards me. I’m not sure what I did to him, but it’s clearly gone from playful teasing, of which I’m a fan and participant, to just garden variety trolling. Maybe because I didn’t sell him my Tempest? Not sure. Anyway, just so you know that there’s been history here and not just a case of my usual crankiness. I encourage him to put me on ignore, as I have done to him. Easy!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Before and after.

*Image does not show where the foot of the delivery guy who tried to carry that entire table top by himself (even though he had a partner) went though the sheet rock on the staircase. He’s alright.
You might be able to add a slide out keyboard tray under the desk top for another modest size keyboard equipped synth!

Ideally, the Rise could go there if the tray space is wide enough, cause it’s very flat. Put your computer keyboard on an articulating desk attachment tray and most your desktop space is freed up for a 5-octave MEGA POLY studio centerpiece! You’re welcome!
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
You might be able to add a slide out keyboard tray under the desk top for another modest size keyboard equipped synth!

Ideally, the Rise could go there if the tray space is wide enough, cause it’s very flat. Put your computer keyboard on an articulating desk attachment tray and most your desktop space is freed up for a 5-octave MEGA POLY studio centerpiece! You’re welcome!
Thank you!

That’s actually on the docket. I have exactly what you speak of, but I’m not sure it will quite work because of the table’s bottom bracing. I’ll give it a go next week. I just didn’t have time to set up my gear and get that going and I get really anxious when my studio’s not set up.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you!

That’s actually on the docket. I have exactly what you speak of, but I’m not sure it will quite work because of the table’s bottom bracing. I’ll give it a go next week. I just didn’t have time to set up my gear and get that going and I get really anxious when my studio’s not set up.
Haha, I totally figured you’d get there, it just makes sense to maximize the space... then the ideas start forming. And keeping it ergo.

Looks like it’s definitely coming around!

I’m sure it feels more inspiring too, which we shouldn’t underestimate.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I’m sure it feels more inspiring too, which we shouldn’t underestimate.
Definitely. I probably seem like a born-again, but I feel like I stumbled upon something important that was right in front of me the whole time. Not that my post-apocalyptic-cyber-punk-Matrix-hot-spot didn’t have its own charm, but there was a level of visual distraction and dissonance that wasn’t great. What’s weird is, I’ve worked in studios that were beautiful, and admired guys like quantum 7 for their clean studio spaces. I think I just come from having a life where I was always mostly broke and visual atheistics were always very low on the priority list. What you’re looking at there cost about $1200. ($500 of it is off camera as a new chair) That’s a synth, where I come from. A pretty nice synth.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It’s not perfect, though. I miss having at least one 61 key controller.
Quote:
You might be able to add a slide out keyboard tray under the desk
Yeah, this is what I was going to suggest also. If the desk bracing is a problem for fitting you could alternatively get (or make) a small table that fits underneath that space and attach some castor wheels to it for easy pulling out and putting backness.

Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

It doesn't look like you have enough synths there

what's the expensive looking white box at the back of the desk?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

i reckon you still need a tallboy shelf unit over to the left, to chuck junk on
something just over a rack width, 6ft. put your rack stuff up there, somewhere
to clear off onto, various paraphenalia... hey you can even have your blaster on it.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
It doesn't look like you have enough synths there

what's the expensive looking white box at the back of the desk?
My 002r and ATC-X are unseen under the desk on a small wire shelf. What’s nice about them is that they are easily controlled with software and were not much to speak of in terms of their own interface.

That thing that looks like an ultrasound machine (which in a weird way it is...) is a Kemper Amp Profiler. You plug a mic into it and it into a guitar amp. It runs signals into the amp and listens via the mic. The difference between what it sends and what it gets, is the profile of that guitar amp. It then mimics that amp at that setting. It’s pretty kick ass. It’s like having a snapshot of every amazing amp that’s ever been.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Definitely. I probably seem like a born-again, but I feel like I stumbled upon something important that was right in front of me the whole time. Not that my post-apocalyptic-cyber-punk-Matrix-hot-spot didn’t have its own charm, but there was a level of visual distraction and dissonance that wasn’t great. ...
?? i think you'd still be dealing with that mess if i hadn't said anything.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
?? i think you'd still be dealing with that mess if i hadn't said anything.
Well, you said something in a thread I started to bitch about it, so the impetus was there, but I did get some great ideas from that thread. Not sure if you were the one who did the desk mockup, but that was really helpful. I was stuck thinking my best course was to go with a cabinet. Probably from all the time I spent keeping my stuff in the bedroom of a room I rented with housemates. It was just Habit. Having it all on a horizontal plane is way better.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Having it all on a horizontal plane is way better.
Definitely is, but I just don’t have room to lay out 4 x full-size synths plus 3 x “half” synths and a couple of modules. On one hand I’d love it if I could but on the other hand I just don’t like seeing the clutter either!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
Definitely is, but I just don’t have room to lay out 4 x full-size synths plus 3 x “half” synths and a couple of modules. On one hand I’d love it if I could but on the other hand I just don’t like seeing the clutter either!
That’s kind of exactly what I did. So, I can just roll up the Arron chair and play without straining, pivoting, bending or reaching too much. No choice really. It’s either that or just a mini synth rig, and I’m too synth smitten for that! The Moog One actually involves the most reaching just because of its panel size. That’s why the chair has wheels, so I can easily slide from oscillators to envelopes.

I’ve run into the space constraints big time though. It’s an ongoing challenge I’m attempting to balance out. I may have to “go vertical” with one table to stack the Odyssey FS over the TVSP. I just need to find an articulating stand that can raise, lower and tilt the Ody into position just over the TV. Otherwise, I’ll use one table for both and just swap them out. They’re both very light weight and easier to manage in either scenario.

When it comes to setting up a synth module just behind a keyboard synth, for easy reaching, check out the Odyssey L360 DJ (Laptop/Module) Stand. I’m using 5 of them now! MS-20M with Sub-37, Slim Phatty with Mini D, the Prophet and OB 6+6’s and a TCE Alter Ego v4 with TVSP. I need to post some updated pics.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I may have to “go vertical” with one table to stack the Odyssey FS over the TVSP.
I don’t have a big room so I ended up making my own “cabidesk” which has 4 x stacked “drawers” for my synths. Works well.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
That’s kind of exactly what I did. So, I can just roll up the Arron chair and play without straining, pivoting, bending or reaching too much. No choice really. It’s either that or just a mini synth rig, and I’m too synth smitten for that! The Moog One actually involves the most reaching just because of its panel size. That’s why the chair has wheels, so I can easily slide from oscillators to envelopes.

I’ve run into the space constraints big time though. It’s an ongoing challenge I’m attempting to balance out. I may have to “go vertical” with one table to stack the Odyssey FS over the TVSP. I just need to find an articulating stand that can raise, lower and tilt the Ody into position just over the TV. Otherwise, I’ll use one table for both and just swap them out. They’re both very light weight and easier to manage in either scenario.

When it comes to setting up a synth module just behind a keyboard synth, for easy reaching, check out the Odyssey L360 DJ (Laptop/Module) Stand. I’m using 5 of them now! MS-20M with Sub-37, Slim Phatty with Mini D, the Prophet and OB 6+6’s and a TCE Alter Ego v4 with TVSP. I need to post some updated pics.
Yeah, those DJ stands look good. I’m going to look into them. As for “going vertical,” I think I’m done. I didn’t think of it at the time, but when Treebase DMX mentioned that I didn’t have enough synths, I realized that he couldn’t see my virtual collection. I know a lot of you kids would rather see a puppy beaten to death with a TB-303 than to use a plugin, but I really love having that wealth of synth and effects tucked away as magnetic moments on a hard drive. I actually re-purchased Diva last night and sparked it up with my new headphones. Still sounds amazing. While it can’t do all the audio rate modulation stuff that your One can do (definitely not as well) it holds its own on most analog synth sounds, and can do some hybrid tones as well (it’s got an emulator if the Roland JD8000 oscillators). I’m definitely not feeling starved for options.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
I don’t have a big room so I ended up making my own “cabidesk” which has 4 x stacked “drawers” for my synths. Works well.
Picture?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Came for pictures, stayed for the drama!

I have to say, it looks like you just turned your high rise gear tower into a split-level ranch. I hope it's more ergonomic for your purposes as it looks kinda like the same mess.

On a serious note, I really like the table--maximum surface space, maximum leg room. I hate getting my long legs and size 14 feet tangled up in table legs and other things lurking underneath.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Picture?
Hmm. Maybe.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
Came for pictures, stayed for the drama!

I have to say, it looks like you just turned your high rise gear tower into a split-level ranch. I hope it's more ergonomic for your purposes as it looks kinda like the same mess.

On a serious note, I really like the table--maximum surface space, maximum leg room. I hate getting my long legs and size 14 feet tangled up in table legs and other things lurking underneath.
Scandenavian Designs. A20 Gammel 79”Dining table. $300. 10% off sale going on now.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search