The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Poor man's version of a Yamaha CS-80? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandomonium View Post
. . . I have one that I'm using with DD (and the upcoming Xerxes) . . . I'll have a chance to try the real CS80 soon, so I'll definitely compare it in detail if I can . . .
Wow! A DD and a Xerxes! A man/woman could be happy with just that! Looking forward to your views on how the DD stacks up to the real deal!

Unfortunately, I came back into the synth-market a year too early. I bought back in early 2018, before the Moog One, Quantum, Deckards Dream, and Xerxes were realities. I imagine I would have a completely different set-up had I entered it now. Perhaps a COMPLETE Black Corporation set of rack-synths, a Moog One, and a Quantum. And a River!
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

To me the DD sounds nothing like a CS-80 so I never understood the supposed relationship of them.. did the DD creator claim it was similar?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
To me the DD sounds nothing like a CS-80 so I never understood the supposed relationship of them.. did the DD creator claim it was similar?
I just have one thing to say about that comment-
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
I just have one thing to say about that comment-
Don’t feed the troll
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd Anju View Post
Don’t feed the troll
He looked hungry, and I'm a giving person.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd Anju View Post
Don’t feed the troll
Why does having an opinion = troll?
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
"Deckard" was the name of the main character in the 1982 film, Blade Runner. Vangelis performed the score using a Yamaha CS-80. So . . .
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am sorry to hear about your hearing loss . Seriously having played actual CS-80s for decades, and having sufficient time on a DD ... your comment is like someone stating the Earth is flat.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
"Deckard" was the name of the main character in the 1982 film, Blade Runner. Vangelis performed the score using a Yamaha CS-80. So . . .
Yeah I know - I formulated my original message incorrectly. It's not that it sounds nothing like it, that is too extreme - i mean I know it's trying to cover the same territory. But I've seen discussion talking about it as if the creator made it as a clone, but it doesn't sound like a clone at all.

And I was wondering if the creator DID mean for it to be a 'go ahead and A-B this!' clone, or if it was just trying to make something with a similar architecture that could do some of the same kinds of sounds.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yeah I know - I formulated my original message incorrectly. It's not that it sounds nothing like it, that is too extreme - i mean I know it's trying to cover the same territory. But I've seen discussion talking about it as if the creator made it as a clone, but it doesn't sound like a clone at all.

And I was wondering if the creator DID mean for it to be a 'go ahead and A-B this!' clone, or if it was just trying to make something with a similar architecture that could do some of the same kinds of sounds.
"Clone" really pigeonholes a product do I'd hesitate to use it to describe the DD. But there is no question it pays homage to the CS80 and so of course they are meant to go head to head. But then, what do i know... the closest I've been to either is an ME80 and some cool patches I've condtructed on an Axoloti core in the architecture of s CS80.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
yeah, I always thought the allusion was to the white unicorn Deckard sees in his dream: ergo the CS80 is the white unicorn of the synth world?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks bolero View Post
yeah, I always thought the allusion was to the white unicorn Deckard sees in his dream: ergo the CS80 is the white unicorn of the synth world?
Correct.
Old 2 days ago
No, no, no! The unicorn shot was stolen from "Legend."
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

What is weird to me is that there have been only 2 half hearted emulations. You’d think that if a U-He, Gforce or XILS took a swipe at it, they could just back the Brinks truck up and start lighting their Cuban cigars with Benjamins... or whatever the European equivalent is. Baroque-Windows? That’s f’n horrible. No wonder Brexit!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, no, no! The unicorn shot was stolen from "Legend."
You would dare mention a film that whose soundtrack involves prominent pan flutes? Here of all places? Is nothing sacred? (Okay, the sorry truth is I have an enormous soft spot for the film, the Tangerine Dream version of the score, and Tim Curry’s scenery-chewing performance.)

“Stolen” does seem like a strong word to describe the reference.

Back on topic: I’d buy a u-he recreation in a heartbeat.
Old 2 days ago
Well, "stolen" from his own footage since Ridley directed both films. Nonetheless, he's still my top filmmaking idol. I got to ask him a question at the premiere of Prometheus—I asked, "Did you ever expect Alien to hold up as well as it has after all these years?" He grinned confidently, and replied, "Yes. I knew it was good when I shot it!" And, of course it was.

And, yeah . . . u-he writes some pretty serious code.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I'll just offer an opinion, based upon personal experience:

Nothing sounds really like a CS-80, unless you play it with a poly-aftertouch controller. If not, it (the DD) sounds exactly like a CS-60.
Old 1 day ago
I would say the main reason there aren't enough good DD vs. CS-80 A/B demos is because it is very time-consuming to really do good, worthy A/B demos (between any two synths but especially between two complex expressive poly AT synths).

Most people (like me) who have a DD normally just don't have enough time to spend on this. My only attempt in the last year to get close to an existing CS80 demo was to emulate this guy's demo: YouTube
with this: For Nigel by Paul Schilling | Free Listening on SoundCloud
... but he used a real Lexicon 224 (and probably has much better recording gear) so it's hard to emulate that lushness unless you have the UAD 224 plugin. Also listening back I should have used a bit more sine in my patch

My goal is to some day take a few good CS-80 demos and do the equivalent DD demos.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthfanatic View Post
I would say the main reason there aren't enough good DD vs. CS-80 A/B demos is because it is very time-consuming to really do good, worthy A/B demos (between any two synths but especially between two complex expressive poly AT synths).
I find it a bit strange.
Comparing them for my own curiosity would be one of the first thing i would do.
Because if i already owned the Yamaha, the DD would be worth its price to me only if it could really work as a replacement in case the Yamaha needs to go to the tech for maintenance, or for taking the vintage sounds on the road without risking damage to the Yamaha (or my back).
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
My only attempt in the last year to get close to an existing CS80 demo was to emulate this guy's demo: YouTube
with this: For Nigel by Paul Schilling | Free Listening on SoundCloud
... but he used a real Lexicon 224 (and probably has much better recording gear) so it's hard to emulate that lushness unless you have the UAD 224 plugin. Also listening back I should have used a bit more sine in my patch
Very nice.

Quote:
My goal is to some day take a few good CS-80 demos and do the equivalent DD demos.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

A worthy demo will require a CS80, DD + Midiboard (and perhaps a ribbon controller). Not many people have this combination.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
I find it a bit strange.
Comparing them for my own curiosity would be one of the first thing i would do.
Because if i already owned the Yamaha, the DD would be worth its price to me only if it could really work as a replacement in case the Yamaha needs to go to the tech for maintenance, or for taking the vintage sounds on the road without risking damage to the Yamaha (or my back).
I don't own a CS-80, but I do know there are several CS-80 owners on the DD customer list.

I was able to try one of the first DD prototypes at KnobCon in 2017, and once I heard the filters (having listened to countless CS-80 demos/songs), I was already sold. The DD's filters are Old Crow / Scott Rider's design, who owns a couple of CS-80s and was able to develop a clone of its filters using modern components. Thankfully the quality of the rest of the instrument, in the course of the last year, was able to match that of the filters.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
A worthy demo will require a CS80, DD + Midiboard (and perhaps a ribbon controller). Not many people have this combination.
Yep .... and the further missing component (IMHO) is the judicious use of outboard effects. That's a huge part of the thing people expect to hear, when they think "CS-80" ... especially if the never played one personally.

A CS-80 can sound really not that special otherwise, particularly if - as you and I have both intimated - you are not using the full range of performance controls.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZT Scheer View Post
I'll just offer an opinion, based upon personal experience:

Nothing sounds really like a CS-80, unless you play it with a poly-aftertouch controller. If not, it (the DD) sounds exactly like a CS-60.
DD at least has the second voice layer (like CS-80), which the CS-60 does not. So based on that DD sound is thicker and has more movement and beating between oscillators that the CS-60 can never do.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
DD at least has the second voice layer (like CS-80), which the CS-60 does not. So based on that DD sound is thicker and has more movement and beating between oscillators that the CS-60 can never do.
You’re right. And I really like the CS-50/60 sound and keyboard package. Ultimately they both lack that second voice. Personally I think the 50/60 is more authentic in terms of capturing the aura of the CS-80, however my bias towards the DD probably makes mine a more slighted opinion like many others here. I think it packs a huge punch at the price point considering what it’s trying to offer.
Old 6 hours ago
Here for the gear

Yea... here's that guy again with his Novation Peak video.

Seriously... depending on how poor you are. Novation Peak
has many qualities of a poor mans CS80. Including Polyphonic aftertouch.
(if you actually manage to find a poly-at controller that is... )

Old 5 hours ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrie View Post

great demo man!

I especially like the part at 1:13 where you are doing the big thump (what did you use there?), the weird percussive arpeggios and the big CS bass swells
Old 4 hours ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
great demo man!

I especially like the part at 1:13 where you are doing the big thump (what did you use there?), the weird percussive arpeggios and the big CS bass swells
Thanks.

The thunder/boom sound was one of the first things I made on my Peak.
And the configuration now makes no sense to me...I guess I just kept
twisting the knobs till I got what I wanted.It's basically a Saw and 2 triangle
waves on several octaves. With a lot of resonance.

If you own a Peak, I left all the patches in the description of the vid.

Some of these patches got screwd up by the Peak patch that multiplies
all FM modulations by 4. (so... if they sound like crap... go into the mod
matrix....Find the FM modulation... device it by 4 and it sounds good again.)
Old 4 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrie View Post

Is it just my lame-o ears, or is the Peak filter a tad bright? The highs have a lovely sparkle to them I didn't expect. I love the sound of the Peak overall, but am I just hearing 12db while expecting 24db?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search