The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What The Hell Has Happened? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddoggie View Post
Music will never be popular again. I know because my line of "Let's make music popular again" hats have not been selling very well.
LMMPA doesn't really roll off the tongue...
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

42) I have more than 2 Monotribes, than what?!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Knobby synths are the foundation of making cool drum sounds. Keyboard playing and music theory is not my thing.
Old 5 days ago
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Visiting a Guitar Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWardle View Post
So I went to a local Guitar Center for the first time in my life and once I entered the door, woke up the lazy bouncer and told him to lead me to the synthesizer room at once, I just couldn't believe what I saw.

Ok i just parked my vehicle in front of the mall to do some afternoon shopping and watch a movie in the cinema. I also visited the Guitar Center that you mentioned in your post. And i have learned that there is no bouncer in the entrance. You sir, have been very dishonest. And I respectfully disrespect you for that.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Is this OP for real or is this a joke? I can usually detect sarcasm but I’m having trouble this time around.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

if there was any consistency here, this thread should be dumped into the backwaters.

lifestyles of the inept and inaccurate.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24dB View Post
I happened to go into mine in West LA for a midi cable yesterday and got to play with the Prophet X which they just got in. Pretty nice! But funny how they always have these great synths plugged into sh*tty little guitar practice amps, never understood that rationale. They had a JD-800 on the floor too, same thing with the Fisher Price speakers.
Just bring a pair of good headphones along with you.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddoggie View Post
Music will never be popular again. I know because my line of "Let's make music popular again" hats have not been selling very well.
Yeah, well that’s also why Clinton lost the last election. Have you not learned that to be popular in the US, you need a snappy acronym? LMMPM just isn’t going to cut it.

#MIFE (Music is for everyone)

#LUMMP (Let us make music popular)

See? Like that. You’re welcome.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post
pug doggo
oh hai thar!

Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Some of my greatest hits:

Mouse Concerto #4 (every note clicked onto a piano roll since I can't play keys, with the same velocity since I'm too lazy to drag the little velocity bars)
Concerto for Two Monosynths w/Arpeggiators in D Major... oops, D Minor, missed that sharp...
Cool Ambient Track With Tons Of Reverb To Mask All The Mistakes
4-part Invention in C(at).... created by my cat when she walked across my synth
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by intuitionnyc View Post
Is this OP for real or is this a joke? I can usually detect sarcasm but I’m having trouble this time around.
You haven’t been around long enough to know the SWardle? He is an icon of the synth/keys community. Has been for decades. His input is legendary and wise. I’ve never been lucky enough to meet him in person, but he stands for all things good. God, guns, Country and using the black and white keys the way they were intended.

This is a man who uses no MIDI. He plays from sacred sheet music only (no Satanic ‘by ear’). He only eats red meat and he wipes his arse with flags from communist countries. He knows things, and we should learn from him. Be grateful for his appearance, for it is rare and your presence here in this thread should be humbling.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
You haven’t been around long enough to know the SWardle? He is an icon of the synth/keys community. Has been for decades. His input is legendary and wise. I’ve never been lucky enough to meet him in person, but he stands for all things good. God, guns, Country and using the black and white keys the way they were intended.

This is a man who uses no MIDI. He plays from sacred sheet music only (no Satanic ‘by ear’). He only eats red meat and he wipes his arse with flags from communist countries. He knows things, and we should learn from him. Be grateful for his appearance, for it is rare and your presence here in this thread should be humbling.
Truth! All Hail The SWardle!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by intuitionnyc View Post
When you really can't tell, the best response is to smile and back away slowly.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimwolf View Post
When you really can't tell, the best response is to smile and back away slowly.
Awww, any day now some kid in a garage is going to start the next big music fad. True!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
So I went to a local Guitar Center for the first time in my life and once I entered the door, woke up the lazy bouncer and told him to lead me to the synthesizer room at once, I just couldn't believe what I saw.

A bunch of no-goods laying around, playing nonsense. It's as if they are purposefully playing awful noise just to make a piano teacher mad!!

These lazy imbeciles need a good Russian lady with a strong back to get them back into shape. The kind of piano teacher that will give them a good lesson!

And then there are all of these third rate keyboards that have more knobs than keys. How the hell are you supposed to make music on something like that? Like you are supposed to go up to the sloth behind the keyboard counter and say, "Yes, I'd like to order up a knobby noise box with some keys on the side." That idiot will sit there and grin like he's doing something good.

Then, of course, you've got these slick fleecers like Don Solaris, who calls himself a SOUND DESIGNER when we all know he specializes in making noise and getting in trouble with the law. How many times has that BOY been locked up for waking up the neighbors with his vicious devil noise!!

Finally, don't get me started on these so-called digital pianos. What do you mean I have to turn it on? When I press a key, it's supposed to make music, not some classy mechanical sound. And don't get me started on SYNTHETIC EBONY AND IVORY!!! Or gluing fake wood on the sides of keys. It's disgustulizing!!!
Oh man! It's amazing how many options for strength and quality of the weed that has become available lately - and so diverse too.

I've tried the one that led to your post. Pretty cool.

But didn't feel analog...

Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

At least LA GC's have synths.

The one in Louisville, has a TR8, a Circuit, maybe a JDXi and a Micro Brute, oh and a Wolf. They are usually not even hooked up or hooked into some crappy M-audio speakers. 88 key versions of the Big 3 but no Kronos and the budget line from the Big 3. Oh and some really bad home keyboards and pianos... Some controllers... No Keyboard amps at the moment.

The last time I ordered something from them, that was out of stock, it took 2 months and they never called me.

Getting them to get anything down off the shelf in Pro-audio is next to impossible. They usually have never hear of it much less know what it does, until you point it out to them and say "That thing right up there". Then they may not find the latter to get it down so you have to come back another time.

They keep all the high price DJ gear in the stock room to avoid theft. So if you don't ask or don't know this, you would never know they had it.

Never have them look for your repaired guitar, that took almost 2 hours and 2 trips back. They could not find it. It made me very nervous.

They can barely use the computer and can almost never get on their own site from the store.

Good stuff..

PS. I applied there when it first opened and then again after it had been there a year. I told them that I was keyboard player, guitar player, singer, had live sound, studio and DAW experience as well as music store sales experience. Never got hired. Although I have seen many sales people get fired for drugs, theft no shows and so forth over the past several years. I guess if you are over 30 or have any musical knowledge you do not have a chance. Not bitter, just thought it might be fun to work there for a bit.

The worst is the fact that GC has lead to many Mom and Pop shops closing.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post
You are going to love this:

i thought my music was dreadful until i watched this, i live in hope, time to buy more synths!
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

As part of the corporate downsizing, they're consolidating some of the rooms and rebranding as Keytar Center
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalnyc View Post
As part of the corporate downsizing, they're consolidating some of the rooms and rebranding as Keytar Center
Lol! That classic!

I want a Keytar Center in my town!!
Old 3 days ago
Quote:

A bunch of no-goods laying around, playing nonsense. It's as if they are purposefully playing awful noise just to make a piano teacher mad!!

These lazy imbeciles need a good Russian lady with a strong back to get them back into shape. The kind of piano teacher that will give them a good lesson!
You won't get any sympathy from me. I'm an industrial music fan and I havent been whipped back into shape yet by my Russian wife and I intentionally play and design awful noise on my synths, and I buy the most noisy ones too. I find the new synths that sounds "too good" a little unsatisfying and need to hear extremely loud low resolution fuzzy lead sounds (and not high rez "electrical fence" type sounds) so I like to shake the baseboard, destroy the mid-range hearing and leave the high range intact (which will deteriorate anyways with enough time).
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalnyc View Post
i'd actually go in there more than once a year if that was the case
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
So I went to a local Guitar Center... purposefully playing awful noise just to make a piano teacher mad!!
Where is the nearest Guitar Center??? And yes, my aunt was a piano teacher and she gave up trying to give me lessons. I don't remember any more specifics, that was back when I was around 8 years old and just wanted to bang on things.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom.... Real or not, I'm onboard with OP.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRAZZ View Post
At least LA GC's have synths.
The big Guitar Center on Sunset Blvd (that just finished its 3rd remodel) is the original Guitar Center location (well, the actual original GC was across the street, this one replaced that one). So yeah, they'd better stock some synths.

I do think GC has grown too big for its britches, though. They should only be in the major music centers of the country and not in small towns.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

A bunch of no-goods laying around, playing nonsense.
15 year old me is HIGHLY OFFENDED. Also, welcome to earth, Martian! I hope our other strip mall establishments impress/disappoint you as much as Guitar Center.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search