The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A book about frequency, harmonics, overtones and partials applied to music production
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

A book about frequency, harmonics, overtones and partials applied to music production

Hello guys,
the title almost enclose it all,

I'm looking for a book whether is intermediate or advanced about frequencies, harmonics, partials, psychoacoustics, etc but applied to music production.
I want to go deep into the subject to understand why and how some sounds work like they do and to get better mixes and drums.

Has anyone any idea?

thanks in advance.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Dont know of any book inclusive of all those topics.
I'd suggest researching online as much info you can find and thoroughly define each with some examples picture and graphs to help.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

thanks for your answer Bart,
I guess there should be something written about this topic due that is a formal subject.
I've got some ideas in books of synthesis but not really for practice with examples and experiments.

How the sound travels thru the particles of air, transients, partials, how to eliminate fundamentals keeping the harmonic structure thus still hearing the perceived fundamental called phantom frequency for generating space in the mix, etc etc.
All this topics must be already documented somewhere
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Start by looking at vibration class books. I would expect most vibration books to have a section or chapter on sound. Harmonic vibration is very complex. I can't think of any education books that relate the theory to the how pleasing a sound is to the ear.

One the other side, I don't know where I picked this one up, but most of the time, odd harmonics are not pleasing and even harmonics are pleasing.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Start with Pythagoras.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

If you want help visualizing sound waves, search for videos about "cymatics"... Trippy AF.

For an in-depth, like really deep, book about harmonics as derived from the overtone series, and more, try "Harmonic Experience" by W.A. Mathieu. It's basically a textbook, but you said you wanted deep. It would help to have a keyboard that can do Just Intonation or a fretless stringed instrument, to work along with the book.

The book is from a music theory perspective, and deals with relationships among musical tones, rather than frequencies and wavelengths and such. Cymatics is more for visualizing the soundwaves themselves, rather than to provide any musical context, but it's really cool...

Neither is applied to production, but what the hell, yolo
Old 5 days ago
I bought this one recently. It's pretty good: Creating Sounds from Scratch: A Practical Guide to Music Synthesis for Producers and Composers. Also, if you don't already own it, Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook is great primer.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by papawise View Post
Hello guys,
the title almost enclose it all,

I'm looking for a book whether is intermediate or advanced about frequencies, harmonics, partials, psychoacoustics, etc but applied to music production.
I want to go deep into the subject to understand why and how some sounds work like they do and to get better mixes and drums.

Has anyone any idea?

thanks in advance.
Harmonics, overtones and partials are basically all the same thing...
And you do not often think about them in such a specific way when mixing.

Given you don't know what these things are i think you're getting on the wrong track here.
Maybe you should start by looking at more usefull stuff, like what is a deciBell.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I just move knobs and faders, press buttons and enjoy the resulting sounds with my ears.
And on a rare occasion i don't understand something, i consult with uncle Google.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone View Post
...For an in-depth, like really deep, book about harmonics as derived from the overtone series, and more, try "Harmonic Experience" by W.A. Mathieu. It's basically a textbook, but you said you wanted deep....
Not exactly what I'm looking for, but I will check it, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
...Also, if you don't already own it, Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook is great primer.
thank you for the advice!, I will check it.
The Welsh book was exactly the one I was talking of, there is interesting info about harmonics but the goal I expect of all this in the end, is how to apply this to music production, with practical techniques.
I believe that I will find something somewhere.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search