The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Great album, bad mixing / mastering?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Great album, bad mixing / mastering?

What electronic albums do like/love but feel the mixing and/or mastering left something to be desired and why?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Probably not electronic in the sense you mean, but anything by Prince from the 80s.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Probably not electronic in the sense you mean, but anything by Prince from the 80s.
Not really what I had in mind as far as electronic but thinking of more current stuff. There are very few nice sounding non-remastered albums from the 80s. Anyway don’t want this to become a list or discussion of old 80s tracks. I already have a thread on that from many years ago.

For me, the last 2 albums from both Orbital and Actress come to mind. The Actress one sounds like a transistor radio run through a cheap distortion VST and the Orbital ones are very bright (among the few albums I have to turn the bass up and the treble way down).
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I know albums of ok music that were made great by incredible music and mastering. Just look at Fridmanns mix of the first MGMT album.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

It is actually pretty hard to separate good production from a good album. There are countless stories of a producer telling a drummer or bassist to thin it out. In these cases, or when a producer mutes out elements, they are directly affecting the composition/arrangement, even when this is in the service of the mix. A good producer will even ask an artist to re-do a verse or chorus, and has a say in structural decisions.

Because in the end there is no absolute division between “music” and “musical sound.” So good production hasn’t just improved the sound, it has actually improved the music.

There is a documentary somewhere on the production of Blood Sugar Sex Magic where this is all very evident. Not electronic music but I imagine my points carry over.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search