The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moog Sub 37 losing pitch
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Gear Addict
Moog Sub 37 losing pitch

Hello,

By accident I left my beloved Moog Sub 37 running in the studio for a couple of days (about 5). Today I wanted to play something and immediately realised something is off. First I thought someone maybe broke in and twisted some knobs as the frequency of the oscillator was jumping as if a random LFO was connected to it. Now, I changed the patch to something else and it was the same.
Sometimes the pitch is stable but at random is gets e.g. octave or two down or it is just "dancing" around the note I am playing.
Maybe the keyboard? But I connected it to my computer and played some notes using the midi controller and there is the same effect :(
What could have caused this behaviour? Maybe some condensator died? Moog is about 4 years old and rarely been used until now.
Has this been caused by the fact I left it switched on for so long?

Thanks
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
rasseru's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
Hello,

By accident I left my beloved Moog Sub 37 running in the studio for a couple of days (about 5). Today I wanted to play something and immediately realised something is off. First I thought someone maybe broke in and twisted some knobs as the frequency of the oscillator was jumping as if a random LFO was connected to it. Now, I changed the patch to something else and it was the same.
Sometimes the pitch is stable but at random is gets e.g. octave or two down or it is just "dancing" around the note I am playing.
Maybe the keyboard? But I connected it to my computer and played some notes using the midi controller and there is the same effect :(
What could have caused this behaviour? Maybe some condensator died? Moog is about 4 years old and rarely been used until now.
Has this been caused by the fact I left it switched on for so long?

Thanks

sorry if captain obvious but did you try to re-calibrate it yet?
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Quantum7's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
Hello,

By accident I left my beloved Moog Sub 37 running in the studio for a couple of days (about 5). Today I wanted to play something and immediately realised something is off. First I thought someone maybe broke in and twisted some knobs as the frequency of the oscillator was jumping as if a random LFO was connected to it. Now, I changed the patch to something else and it was the same.
Sometimes the pitch is stable but at random is gets e.g. octave or two down or it is just "dancing" around the note I am playing.
Maybe the keyboard? But I connected it to my computer and played some notes using the midi controller and there is the same effect :(
What could have caused this behaviour? Maybe some condensator died? Moog is about 4 years old and rarely been used until now.
Has this been caused by the fact I left it switched on for so long?

Thanks
I used to leave my Sub-37 on for weeks at a time and never had that happen. In fact, I've only had synths go out of tune on occasion when they've been off for too long. I hope you get it sorted out soon.
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
sorry if captain obvious but did you try to re-calibrate it yet?
Ooops, I didn't know this function existed... running now. I hope this helps. Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Gear Addict
Sadly this didn't help.

I have recorded an audio file demonstrating the issue (after running the calibration).
I am playing some random notes, sometimes using Pitch and Modulation wheels and going through a couple of patches.
Attached Files

moog died.mp3 (3.65 MB, 111 views)

Old 1 week ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 
rasseru's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
Sadly this didn't help.

I have recorded an audio file demonstrating the issue (after running the calibration).
I am playing some random notes, sometimes using Pitch and Modulation wheels and going through a couple of patches.

have you tried cleaning the CV inputs - I had a wonky pitch on my xoxbox, sent it to a tech and there was something in the CV inputs shorting it out


long shot but worth a try. Yeah that sounds wrong - might need to get looked at
Old 1 week ago
  #7
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
have you tried cleaning the CV inputs - I had a wonky pitch on my xoxbox, sent it to a tech and there was something in the CV inputs shorting it out


long shot but worth a try. Yeah that sounds wrong - might need to get looked at
Interesting! When I put a jack to VOL CV input, the volume slowly fades down but the pitch becomes stable. As soon as I disconnect it gets funky again. This only happens when I connect to VOL CV. There is no effect on this pitch issue when connecting to other CV inputs.
I think I am going to look into cleaning then. Thanks!
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
djcandu / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
15
Tobias Valentin / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
0
Cons XY / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
3
Frameboy / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
2
Sugarman / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
6

Forum Jump
Forum Jump