The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
4 MIDI OUT support on MPC LIVE !!
Old 12th February 2019
Here for the gear
4 MIDI OUT support on MPC LIVE !!

Hi.

Like all of you here, I tried to connect a MIDI interface to the USB Host port of the MPC LIVE, only to find out that the additional MIDI OUT ports are not supported. Only PORTs A and B are visible, C & D indicating always "None".

While exploring the site MPC Live Internals , I understood that all the interface cards on the MPC Live/X went through USB, and lucky for me, the author had the good idea to provide a USB dump ( with an "lsub" command) right after the boot.
https://niklasnisbeth.gitlab.io/mpc-...cmds/lsusb.txt

The part that interests me most is the following:

Code:
idVendor 0x09e8 
idProduct 0x003b 
iProduct 2 MPC Live Controller
As an IT engineer, I quite recently developed a 3 I/O USB MIDI interface, and it allows to modify easily the VendorID and ProductID as well as the "Product String", identifying a USB device on a host system.
GitHub - TheKikGen/USBMidiKliK4x4: USBMIDIKliK4x4 - 4 in/out and 3 IN/3OUT USB MIDI interface for STM32F1x series board

So I modified the parameters of my MIDI interface, to make it to be seen as an internal AKAI controller.

Code:
-===========================================- 
CURRENT SETTINGS 
--------------------------------------------- 
Magic number: MDK7-1.181219.1306 
Next BootMode: 0 
=> Vendor Id: 9E8 
=> Product Id: 3B 
=> Product string : MPC Live Controller
After plugging in the reconfigured MIDI interface, and rebooting the MPC LIVE, I had the joy of seeing that 4 MIDI ports were now visible A, B, corresponding to the 2 internal MIDI ports, and C, D, corresponding to MIDI OUT 1 and 2 of my interface !! It works !!

In addition, in the setup panel, you can see all MIDI OUT ports in the synchronization options. I haven't done any in-depth tests, but all MIDI OUT ports work directly, either on the tracks or in MIDI Clock sync.
Attached Thumbnails
4 MIDI OUT support on MPC LIVE !!-20190211_194119.jpg  
Old 12th February 2019
Lives for gear

Awesome!
Old 12th July 2019
Gear Nut
So is there any relatively easy way to exploit this for the layman?

An extra two outs would be extremely helpful for me.
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yora View Post
So is there any relatively easy way to exploit this for the layman?

An extra two outs would be extremely helpful for me.
It really depends what MIDI interface you have and to what extent it can be reconfigured to be a 'MPC Live Controller'.

Have you tried plugging in your MIDI interface directly and confirmed it is not recognized? Have you checked if Akai patched their Live firmware to allow class-compliant MIDI interfaces to be recognized properly?
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

wow never saw this thread when it was made
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabar View Post
It really depends what MIDI interface you have and to what extent it can be reconfigured to be a 'MPC Live Controller'.

Have you tried plugging in your MIDI interface directly and confirmed it is not recognized? Have you checked if Akai patched their Live firmware to allow class-compliant MIDI interfaces to be recognized properly?
Yeah I tried an old Midisport 4x4 and an ESI M8U, the 4x4 was never gonna work as it requires drivers even on the Mac, but the M8U didn’t either unfortunately.
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Nut
So does anyone know of any midi interfaces that can be configured to this extent to then work with the Live?
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah how to do this ourselves??
Old 1 week ago
Someone could totally sell this as a two channel MIDI expansion for the MPC Live, I'd buy one.
Old 1 week ago
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

let me guess.. everytime you update the MPC or reset it, you need to do that commandline "spell" again?

wouldn't be of use for me the as I am constantly without a PC
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
For those who bought the board, here is the SYSEX to emulate an Akai internal USB midi interface and get MPC Live port C+D accessible in standalone mode.
F0 77 77 78 0C 00 09 0E 08 00 00 03 0B F7 F0 77 77 78 0B 4D 50 43 20 4C 69 76 65 20 43 6F 6E 74 72 6F 6C 6C 65 72 F7
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
No. Configuration is saved in the internal memory.
No need to resend the sysex command, and no PC needed at all.
The board is connected to one of the MPC LIVE/X port.
I also use the MPC Live permanently in standalone mode.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

This is a really cool hack! But I hope Akai change the MIDI routing options on the Live soon so you can just use any class compliant device.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
It is totally doable, and easy because they are using ALSA, the AUdio/Midi platform for Linux, but I'm really not sure they will do !
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKikGen View Post
It is totally doable, and easy because they are using ALSA, the AUdio/Midi platform for Linux, but I'm really not sure they will do !
MIDI out over USB has been promised, just like multitimbral input. I imagine they'll show up at the same time, really.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Multitimbral from MIDI (the Live is already multitimbral) is "under consideration" but I don't see any subject about adding port from a USB compliant device...
I would very much like Akai to add this feature and allow us to address more than 4 USB midi ports.
But don't forget marketing: 4 ports midi, it's the MPC X! Allowing this feature could affect X's sales....
The software of the Live and the X are strictly identical.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Multitimbral from MIDI (the Live is already multitimbral) is "under consideration" but I don't see any subject about adding port from a USB compliant device...
I would very much like Akai to add this feature and allow us to address more than 4 USB midi ports.
But don't forget marketing: 4 ports midi, it's the MPC X! Allowing this feature could affect X's sales....
The software of the Live and the X are strictly identical.
It would be ironic if users would figure out ways to make the live a "modular MPC X" by adding audio, CV (DC-coupled audio outs) and MIDI ports separately and then invoking some basic linux knowledge to make it all work

We've asked Akai to accomodate this from the start but to no avail

personally I'd love a "footswitch mod" to the live which would give AkaiOS-level footswitch support. I will never buy the X just to get overdub via footswitch, they are tripping if they think that
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quite sure both multitimbral MIDI and MIDI out over USB were both on the upcoming features list in the main MPC thread.

And if they add support for synths and controllers with USB MIDI (which is a glaring omission), of course nothing will be able to stop you from using an external interface with MIDI ports.

Audio over USB is less likely, unfortunately, although that would be much more interesting to me.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search