The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sub-$2,000 synth that goes well with OB-6? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 11th February 2019
Gear Head
Sub-$2,000 synth that goes well with OB-6?

I've got a Sub Phatty I use with my OB-6. Honestly I mainly use it for the keyboard these days with the occasional "modular-like" sequences I trigger from my Digitakt ... It's got a really thick sound but, it's always quite harsh, obviously Moogish but the SP is built to be thick and aggressive, without a whole lot of options otherwise due to its affordable price. I mean it's an absolute monster at times, especially with any overdrive, which saturates it nicely but often times throws it out of my mix like a sore thumb.

I really enjoy listening to synthwave music and the OB-6 excels in that area. I feel like there's a bit of a mismatch between the two however, so I'm looking to trade it for something else, but I'm not sure what. I tend to make improvisational synthwave combined with funk/rock and play my Fender alongside.

Something in a similar price range is the Mopho X4, also has the velocity sensitive keyboard I could use, and more octaves which is a decent advancement in my eyes. I could also opt for the Pro 2 in order to add insane modulation depth to the mix... P12 doesn't really sound so great to me but I might be convinced based on personal experiences I think. Last consideration is the Novation Peak? I think its very clean sound might actually sit well in the mix with an OB-6.

Any ideas?

Cheers!
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

Maybe a Roland JD-XA could be interesting for you?
Old 11th February 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_soulcatcher View Post
Maybe a Roland JD-XA could be interesting for you?
Is that the one that looks crazy with the red knobs and reminds me of Tron?

I haven't really researched synths too much until recently. If I heard something I liked I pull the trigger, OB-6 was obvious to me. What I heard from the SP I liked at the time but doesn't really fit how my musical style has progressed lately. Only other synth I've owned was an Arturia MicroBrute back at college when I was studying circuits, so, I'm not really as deep in the synth game as I assume most are here, I've always been a guitar player. Which is why I need your help.

Off to the JD-XA sound demos!
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birth_Chord View Post
Is that the one that looks crazy with the red knobs and reminds me of Tron?
indeed - I was mentioning it, because it can do more than "just" analogue synth sounds, aka is more versatile regarding the amount of possible sounds due to its sound architecture.
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

For that amount of cash, you could rack up a bunch of the decently priced vintage synths. If you're going for synthwave(which I also love) the vintage analog Roland sound is a good contrast for the OB-6 and fits the sound. Most folks would probably recommend the JX-3P....here....I like the other JX synths personally(specifically very good for synthwave) but the former is safe bet. That and an alpha juno or mks-50 would give you a real trio of sound with the OB-6 with some coin left over to get a good FX/verb processor or possibly another synth to throw in the mix.
Old 11th February 2019
Gear Nut

The Peak could be a good choice for synthwave. Its more modern sound should contrast nicely with the OB-6 and it has a solid enough low end to cover bass duties as well.

The Roland System 8 is another possibility in that price range. It would give you access to a lot of classic Roland sounds, both mono and poly. In general, people who own both think the System 8 is more immediate while the Peak is “deeper” and better for complex sounds.
Old 11th February 2019
Gear Maniac
Another nod to the JD-XA. It is a great addition to the OB-6.. and covers a lot of ground. If you're looking for some good electro funk examples w/ JDXA ... search out Dan Goldman (JD73) videos. He's posted a few jams over the past couple of years that are excellent. Classic rock? Look for Gattobus vids with the 'XA. If you're looking for someone who has something cool to show you ... you can search out Scott Tibbs videos. His vids are pretty great too. Anyway. . for pure timbre versatility ... the JD-XA get's my vote.
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

I think pro2 is a great place to look.

You have the poly covered with your ob6 and now you can round out the sounds (basses, digital para stuff, etc) with the pro2
Old 11th February 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoo View Post
Another nod to the JD-XA. It is a great addition to the OB-6.. and covers a lot of ground. If you're looking for some good electro funk examples w/ JDXA ... search out Dan Goldman (JD73) videos. He's posted a few jams over the past couple of years that are excellent. Classic rock? Look for Gattobus vids with the 'XA. If you're looking for someone who has something cool to show you ... you can search out Scott Tibbs videos. His vids are pretty great too. Anyway. . for pure timbre versatility ... the JD-XA get's my vote.
I wish I could get the white version they made. Or the black with blue LEDs. That red throws off my whole color scheme. I know, stupid nitpick, it does sound amazing though so far and seems super versatile with that filter.
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

The OB-6 is such a nice classy unit I'd go with a bunch of different cheaper ones to add to it. Maybe the Minilogue (original or XD), Reface DX and Deepmind 12D. If you want current production models at least.
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

The current analogs that make me moist for less than $2k are the Peak, the Minilogue XD, and the Boog. And you can probably get all three together for that price. And they all complement each other and the OB quite well.
Old 11th February 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
The current analogs that make me moist for less than $2k are the Peak, the Minilogue XD, and the Boog. And you can probably get all three together for that price. And they all complement each other and the OB quite well.
Right now I’m choosing between the Peak, JD-XA, Pro 2 and Rev2 16 voice. Just need to narrow that down. Little by little...
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Rev2 16 voice
This.
For its 5 octave keyboard and superior modulation and you can layer it with the OB-6 for some unbelievably good sounds.
Old 11th February 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
This.
For its 5 octave keyboard and superior modulation and you can layer it with the OB-6 for some unbelievably good sounds.
The Peak is enticing but the Rev2 and all it’s analog goodness is as well. I could also use a nicer keyboard for my OB-6
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

I paired a monologue with mine, it has a very defined and round sound and seems to fit nicely providing excellent sub bass. I thought the rev2 also complimented, has a very different tone.
Old 11th February 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobule View Post
I paired a monologue with mine, it has a very defined and round sound and seems to fit nicely providing excellent sub bass. I thought the rev2 also complimented, has a very different tone.
Interesting. I was never interested in the Minilogue but everyone always says good things about the Monologue, comparatively as well.
Old 11th February 2019
Gear Head
Sorry for the double post, not sure about rules regarding that.

How about the Prophet 12? I’ve only browsed a little, seems like a good alternative to the but also gets a decent amount of hate. Any comments on it?
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Interesting. I was never interested in the Minilogue but everyone always says good things about the Monologue, comparatively as well.
I guess its all down to personal taste and preference. As someone who loves the 90's warp records, jungle/drum n bass and breaks styles, both synths absolutely nail it.
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

OB-6 & Subsequent 37 is my dream combo. Really like the Pro 2 as well as it can do nice fm stuff and has 4 LFO’s!
Old 11th February 2019
Quote:
Right now I’m choosing between the Peak, JD-XA, Pro 2 and Rev2 16 voice. Just need to narrow that down. Little by little...
I wouldn't recommend the Rev2 to pair with the OB-6. Other than the Pro2, I would choose a non-DSI synth to complement your OB-6. A Peak, VirusTI, JD-Xa, System-8, or even a Deepmind 12 would provide much more contrast to your OB-6. (I owned a Rev2 then returned it, but still have an OB-6). As a novice programmer, I found the JD-Xa a bit confusing, but it does sound excellent and is one of the better-sounding hybrids around.
Old 11th February 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
I wouldn't recommend the Rev2 to pair with the OB-6. Other than the Pro2, I would choose a non-DSI synth to complement your OB-6. A Peak, VirusTI, JD-Xa, System-8, or even a Deepmind 12 would provide much more contrast to your OB-6. (I owned a Rev2 then returned it, but still have an OB-6). As a novice programmer, I found the JD-Xa a bit confusing, but it does sound excellent and is one of the better-sounding hybrids around.
Thanks for the input. I wish I could find the Peak a little cheaper somewhere. $1,299 new is as low as I can find it, used it isn’t available too much lower most of the time. I’m just going to pull this final trigger and never log onto a music shop website until I release my first album lol.
Old 11th February 2019
vlz
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I wish I could find the Peak a little cheaper somewhere. $1,299 new is as low as I can find it, used it isn’t available too much lower most of the time. I’m just going to pull this final trigger and never log onto a music shop website until I release my first album lol.
I have a Prologue 16 and a REV2 and it's a great combo. I heard some say Prologue + OB6 works well.
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

Interesting a few have said JDXa.

My OB-6 sits above my JDXa with Nord Lead 2x + Nord Rack 3 to one side.

Although I own lots of other synths, these seem to be my GO TO synths atm.

JDXa is a monster which kind of compliments the OB's simplicity. A great pairing.
Old 11th February 2019
Here for the gear

I have an OB-6, Prophet Rev2, and Roland system 8. While the OB-6 is my favorite of the bunch(just so much character and crazy beautiful sounds), I found the Rev-2 really excels at the bread and butter straight forwards stuff that I don't necessarily thing the OB-6 is as suited for. That being said, the Rev2 is a powerful synth that is capable of lots of awesome sounds that the ob-6 absolutely is not able to do. I think they make a great pair.

The system 8 is my most recent purchase, and I like it for covering a lot of the general roland sounds as they are a pretty different flavor from the Dave Smith stuff.
Old 11th February 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
Interesting a few have said JDXa.

My OB-6 sits above my JDXa with Nord Lead 2x + Nord Rack 3 to one side.

Although I own lots of other synths, these seem to be my GO TO synths atm.

JDXa is a monster which kind of compliments the OB's simplicity. A great pairing.
I wish the LEDs came in different colors. My whole setup is pretty blue overall. That red is going to throw me off but... lots of people claim good things about the JD-XA... I never really considered it before it was mentioned here.
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wish the LEDs came in different colors. My whole setup is pretty blue overall. That red is going to throw me off but... lots of people claim good things about the JD-XA... I never really considered it before it was mentioned here.
It looks 101% better with the overlays, The red LED's only really dazzle if its in the really dark environment. In daylight they are fine.

Imo its one of the best Atmos/pad synths ever.
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
The JD-XA lets you run the digital side through the analog filter, so you can have full analog, hybrid analog, and full digital. I've heard a few decent sounds out of it, but I'd love to hear a good third-party patch set that fully takes advantage of all this.
Old 11th February 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
The JD-XA lets you run the digital side through the analog filter, so you can have full analog, hybrid analog, and full digital. I've heard a few decent sounds out of it, but I'd love to hear a good third-party patch set that fully takes advantage of all this.
Interesting.

That does sound like a good companion to my OB-6 and Sub Phatty (which I now think I’m going to keep...)
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

I had rev2 with ob-6 above when developing patches for the rev2. Was a killer combo I had so much fun (see silly jam above).

I hear what your saying though another flavour would also be nice.
Rev2 is stonkingly powerful with the dual layers though..
Old 11th February 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobule View Post

I had rev2 with ob-6 above when developing patches for the rev2. Was a killer combo I had so much fun (see silly jam above).

I hear what your saying though another flavour would also be nice.
Rev2 is stonkingly powerful with the dual layers though..
I do have my Moog Sub Phatty though for texture. Plus aren’t the filter chips different in the Rev2 vs. OB-6 even if they sound similar? Only other synth I have is the Digitakt and my Fender Strat.

What a tough choice this is! Peak, Rev2, JD-XA...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search