The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sub-$2,000 synth that goes well with OB-6? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birth_Chord View Post
I do have my Moog Sub Phatty though for texture. Plus aren’t the filter chips different in the Rev2 vs. OB-6 even if they sound similar? Only other synth I have is the Digitakt and my Fender Strat.

What a tough choice this is! Peak, Rev2, JD-XA...
They don't sound at all similar, different osc, filter. 16 voice vs 6 voice makes for dual 8 voice layer stacking madness.
Old 11th February 2019
Deleted b6e9904
Prophet 6?
Old 11th February 2019
Gear Addict

I would go for a used Yamaha Montage 6 they can be had for under 2k from time to time. Your limiting your sonic palette by just looking at other analogs. As cool as they are, they are not the end all be all.
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathodeRay View Post
I would go for a used Yamaha Montage 6 they can be had for under 2k from time to time. Your limiting your sonic palette by just looking at other analogs. As cool as they are, they are not the end all be all.
JDXA is not just another analogue. It also has a very powerful Supernatural digital synth engine with huge polyphony, layering capabilities and very good f/x section.
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, I have my OB-6 on top of a Kurzweil PC3 now, pure joy.
Old 11th February 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
JDXA is not just another analogue. It has a very powerful Supernatural digital synth engine with huge polyphony, layering capabilities and very good f/x section.
Thats true its a fine synth with a wide range of sounds but the Montage is on a whole other level.
Old 11th February 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
A Pro 2 is not what 99% of the community would consider an “analog synth” nor is the P12.

I have a Digitone but it’s up for sale because I didn’t gel with the sound design on it even though it’s a nice little groovebox. Trust me, I could care less about digital vs. analog or anything in between, I’m just a guitar player utilizing synthesis and sampling to create full tracks in the end.
Old 11th February 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobule View Post
Yes, I have my OB-6 on top of a Kurzweil PC3 now, pure joy.
Those are great boards too. That would be my second choice without a doubt, i still love my old K2000R
Old 11th February 2019
Gear Head
Mopho X4 maybe...? Far cheaper and the keys look nice.

Blofeld...?
Old 11th February 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
A Pro 2 is not what 99% of the community would consider an “analog synth” nor is the P12.

I have a Digitone but it’s up for sale because I didn’t gel with the sound design on it even though it’s a nice little groovebox. Trust me, I could care less about digital vs. analog or anything in between, I’m just a guitar player utilizing synthesis and sampling to create full tracks in the end.
Not knocking either one of them both are fine analog hybrids, but they are just that designed to sound like analogs but they will not give you the same flexibility as a good digital synth such as the Montage or Motif , Forte , PC3K , Kronos ect ect.
The only reason i even suggested it is because looking at what you have listed in your studio its a missing key piece.
Old 11th February 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
No knocking either one of them both are fine analog hybrids, but they are just that designed to sound like analogs but they will not give you the same flexibility as a good digital synth such as the Montage or Motif , Forte , PC3K , Kronos ect ect.
The only reason i even suggested it is because looking at what you have listed in your studio its a missing key piece.
Ok I understand now, you mean more like a workstation with extensive capabilities than something like digital oscillators with analog filters and decent capabilities.
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

OB-6 + MODX. I think that would be a good combo.
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinkle View Post
It does look pretty cool. I do tend to use my DAW a lot due to workflow and I have tons of sampled libraries such as grand pianos, staccato cellos, violins, violas, full cello, violin, viola, bongos, exotic instruments etc. A little bit of overlap in that regard but the performances are interesting, reminds me of songs from Elektron.
Old 12th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b6e9904 View Post
Prophet 6?
I have both a Prophet 6 and an OB-6 and I think they sound far too similar. I can make patches on the OB-6 which sound nearly identical to the P6's and prefer the OB-6 overall. I think the OP would be better off with something completely different (I forgot to also mention the Prologue).
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Guru

I think threads like this are approaching the issue from the wrong angle. Instead, look at it in terms of different types of synthesis and features. For synthwave, you’ll probably want...

Analog poly. You’ve got that. Done.
Analog mono. Maybe a used SH2? Boog?
FM: DX...
Wavetable. Micromonsta?
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
I have both a Prophet 6 and an OB-6 and I think they sound far too similar. I can make patches on the OB-6 which sound nearly identical to the P6's and prefer the OB-6 overall. I think the OP would be better off with something completely different (I forgot to also mention the Prologue).
I really wish the Peak was $999-$1199... then I’d get that and a Blofeld I think. Only want one synth for right now, need to make it a decent choice, don’t plan on coming out of the cave for months once I fill this textural/voice gap in my gear.
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I think threads like this are approaching the issue from the wrong angle. Instead, look at it in terms of different types of synthesis and features. For synthwave, you’ll probably want...

Analog poly. You’ve got that. Done.
Analog mono. Maybe a used SH2? Boog?
FM: DX...
Wavetable. Micromonsta?
There’s been a minor update... I’m going to keep the Sub Phatty and sell my Digitone

Edit: MicroMonsta looks cool. Many voices in a small box is really nice to me.

Edit 2: MicroMonsta looks hard to find.

Edit 3: looks like MicroMonsta is supposed to be in stock mid-February... tick tick...
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinkle View Post
I forgot about the MODX excellent recommendation for under 1k used.
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
I forgot about the MODX excellent recommendation for under 1k used.
I’m more a seller of gear than a purchase of used gear. Unless used in good condition goes for half price I pretty ettt much don’t go used on electronics.

I only tend to buy things when I have coupons so 15-25% off is usually already what I’m looking at. For instance, the new Rev2 16 voice keys is $1622, thus I’m rarely even at a loss purchasing new. Albeit some items I can’t get on sale of course. On Reverb the cheapest used Rev2 is $1600 local pickup only, so minus sales fee I never lose much if anything.
Old 12th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I didn't find they sound alike with the different filters & oscillators, but are essentially the same to use so will come across the same limitations, so having both doesn't make too much sense unless money was no object.

Literally any other DSI/Sequential synth + OB6 or P6 will be a wonderful combo.

I'm surprised its not been asked, where does the OP feel they are not getting from their OB6? Otherwise might as well list every synth below 2k.
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by haze015 View Post
I didn't find they sound alike with the different filters & oscillators, but are essentially the same to use so will come across the same limitations, so having both doesn't make too much sense unless money was no object.

Literally any other DSI/Sequential synth + OB6 or P6 will be a wonderful combo
This is how I feel coupled with how useful a DAW is for filling in gaps, especially symphonically or certain acoustic instruments. I think the OB-6 + Mopho X4 or Rev2 would sound great. I could really use another keyboard.

MicroMonsta is super appealing to me though. When that’s in stock I can absolutely see myself snagging one regardless of what I purchase here.
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I wish I could find the Peak a little cheaper somewhere. $1,299 new is as low as I can find it, used it isn’t available too much lower most of the time. I’m just going to pull this final trigger and never log onto a music shop website until I release my first album lol.
When I bought my Peak, I called my Musician’s Friend rep and he gave me 15% off. That combined with some loyalty points, I was able to get one for a grand. Can’t hurt to give them a call. The Peak is a really great synth. Hope to pair mine with an OB-6 someday as well.
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwattsup View Post
When I bought my Peak, I called my Musician’s Friend rep and he gave me 15% off. That combined with some loyalty points, I was able to get one for a grand. Can’t hurt to give them a call. The Peak is a really great synth. Hope to pair mine with an OB-6 someday as well.
Back when I only played guitar and was less than 10 years old, I’d browse the huge paper catalogs Musician’s Friend for hours... those were the days. Maybe I’ll give it a try. Out of Peaks currently.
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by haze015 View Post

Literally any other DSI/Sequential synth + OB6 or P6 will be a wonderful combo.

I'm surprised its not been asked, where does the OP feel they are not getting from their OB6? Otherwise might as well list every synth below 2k.
Not really sure what I’m missing. I think when I find it, it will be more of a surprise. The Sub Phatty and OB-6 can get very analoguey... The Digitone had some great sounds but it’s mostly tons of FX and drums to me, many of the sounds are simply harsh and unusable for my... gentler purposes. So I guess I’m searching for a bit of digital variety, something with tons of capabilities and doesn’t have to sit in the forefront of the mix but can do what it needs to do to very well...

Dang, I think I just sold the Peak to myself.

... Surprise.
Old 12th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not really sure what I’m missing. I think when I find it, it will be more of a surprise. The Sub Phatty and OB-6 can get very analoguey... The Digitone had some great sounds but it’s mostly tons of FX and drums to me, many of the sounds are simply harsh and unusable for my... gentler purposes. So I guess I’m searching for a bit of digital variety, something with tons of capabilities and doesn’t have to sit in the forefront of the mix but can do what it needs to do to very well...

Dang, I think I just sold the Peak to myself.

... Surprise.
Yeah, the Peak, Rev2, P12, Pro 2 etc would be ideal. Rev2 could be omitted if digital oscillators interest you, though if after a typical analogue synth with tons of modulation, probably the best choice. Not tried the Peak, but do like the Pro 2 and P12, have considered replacing my Rev2 with one or the other.

I don't know, hard to go wrong at this price point.
Old 12th February 2019
Quote:
I think the OB-6 + Mopho X4 is Rev2 would sound great.
If you're going to go down that path, there's a demo Mopho x4 selling for $769, a B-stock Prophet 08 PE-edition rackmount for $1,129, and an open-box Prophet Rev2 8-voice module for $999 at ProAudioStar right now. I have a Mopho x4 and I really like it (the Mopho x4 has a two-octave sub-oscillator and a feedback circuit, both of which P-08 and Rev2 lacks).
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
If you're going to go down that path, there's a demo Mopho x4 selling for $769, a B-stock Prophet 08 PE-edition rackmount for $1,129, and an open-box Prophet Rev2 8-voice module for $999 at ProAudioStar right now. I have a Mopho x4 and I really like it (the Mopho x4 has a two-octave sub-oscillator and a feedback circuit, both of which P-08 and Rev2 lacks).
Yes I have an 18% off coupon at ProAudioStar that’s why I’m so tempted to close out this last synth I feel my mixes could use. My Digitone just sold. Didn’t lose anything on it. I’m feeling good.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Just ordered the Rev2 16 voice keyboard. I really needed another keyboard and well, the synth is great too

Sold my Digitone, I think I'm going to sell my Sub Phatty after jamming all day. I can't make it sit with my mixes ever, always sounds out of place in my style...

So, finalized 2019 setup : Fender Stratocaster, Yamaha saxophone, Elektron Digitakt, DSI OB-6, DSI Rev2 and my audio interface... See everyone at the end of the year

Edit: Forgot my DAW, Studio One 4 Professional and a large collection of samples to my liking, such as bongos and violins and exotic instruments and of course VSTs... It's going to be a good year.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

A fine choice.

Rev2 is an absolute monster. Incredible depth.

edit: That’s a killer setup, btw.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Really good choice, amazing value for money.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search