The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Quantum - Should I Buy? - Advice Needed Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
I'll add that I was GASing hard for a Moog One and the Quantum has basically quashed that. It's like a lot of the things I was buying were trying to get to the ability to modulate and evolve the way the Quantum does, and I now have other machines that do the bread and butter analog sounds very well (the OB-6 and, ironically, the Modal 002).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Life is too short. If you have some spare money and you can afford it, then go for it, at least go try it in a shop
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I can't thank you all enough for your insights and commentary. I truly appreciate it. I'm sure this thread could easily be laughed off and you guys could have written some snarky remarks. But you didn't. Many of you provided me with a lot of food for thought and that is awesome. So again, THANK YOU!!!

I think based on the replies here, I am going to do my best to find a demo in the area. If not, I am gonna try and place an order with somebody that won't mind me returning it within 5 days.

It really seems that those that love it are really enjoying it for the reasons that I think I would love it. I think I will love the UI and workflow. I think the wavetable and granular engines will be awesome. I think the sound will be really good. $4,500 good, I dunno. I think the filters will be good enough for me. Typically, if there are multiple filters to choose from, then I will find some that I really enjoy.

I would LOVE for people to continue to discuss the Quantum on this thread, but if the mods wanna shut it down due to redundancy (other Quantum thread), then I won't mind.

Lastly, with a few "does it sound like $4,500" comments, does the Moog One sound like $8,000???
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by intuitionnyc View Post
Lastly, with a few "does it sound like $4,500" comments, does the Moog One sound like $8,000???
I want a Moog One and spent about 45 minutes with it the other day. I didn’t even scratch the surface but I’m not sure what I heard sounded like $8000 but now that you asked I’m not sure what $8000 should sound like. Thanks for the reality check.

I think the question should be “did it give you $8000 worth of goose bumps”. If that was the question I’d have to say no. Not yet anyways.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieclouser View Post
I agree. I have been deep into Omnisphere for years, love it, and have thousands of patches including lots with custom samples imported.... but.

When I got the Quantum I started by messing around with whatever samples came pre-loaded and I loved what I was hearing. So I imported some of my own samples that I know very well, and have used in EXS24, Kontakt, Omnisphere, Granite, Ribs, AudioDamage Quanta, and any other soft synth that could import samples. I loved what I was hearing from the Quantum even more. Those familiar samples, either messed up by the Quantum's granular engine or just playing straight, sounded better. Rounder when pitched way down, smoother when pitched way up high.

So I decided it was time for a test with a friend in the room - the same friend that I've known and worked with for 30 years, who has Synclaviers etc. and whose ears I trust. We took some samples he made for me 15 years ago, that I've used over and over again, and got them into the Quantum, Omnisphere, and EXS24, and tried out the various granular manipulations and filter types, and he agreed - Quantum sounded better, and not by a little bit. There was something... more... going on.

The Quantum really gave these familiar samples more juice, more body, just... more. So we tried to match the Quantum's filter with various types in Omnisphere and my beloved Omnisphere just sounded much more flat and "in the box" than the Quantum. The difference was not subtle. With a few twists of the knobs in the Q we were hearing stuff we loved, and when we turned to O we were clicking and setting up mod routings and auditioning filter types and and and.... and we never really got to where the Q got us really quickly.

While not a scientific test, it confirmed that in a general sense the Quantum "sounds great" and that the user interface, at least for old-school hardware heads like us, makes it a quick process to get where you're going. Could O get there eventually? Perhaps. Probably. But why fight it?

I'll still use Omnisphere all the time. For scoring it's indispensable. But the Quantum will be taking its rightful place at the center of my rig.

And, just like my experience with the Moog One, I haven't heard anything in the online Quantum demos that impressed me as much as my first ten minutes sitting in front of it, making my own sounds from scratch. My reaction to the Prophet-X was different - I spent a good bit of time on it and while I thought it could sound quite good (mostly due to the filters) it wasn't offering, to me, a Quantum leap forward (pun intended). So I passed on that one. Maybe someday. But if I had to pick one of those three big dogs, I'd pick the Quantum all day long.

It's a bad mother.
Demos?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
I think the question should be “did it give you $8000 worth of goose bumps”. If that was the question I’d have to say no. Not yet anyways.
Ideally, I guess it should give you almost double the goosebumps that you get with a Quantum, in which case you'll probably wind up looking pretty weird.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Q

Quote:
I want a Moog One and spent about 45 minutes with it the other day. I didn’t even scratch the surface but I’m not sure what I heard sounded like $8000 but now that you asked I’m not sure what $8000 should sound like. Thanks for the reality check.

Like you, I’m guilty of probably having unrealistic expectations about synths in that price range, but when I think about what they do in relation to their cost, they’re probably priced about right. What’s happening is the natural “law of diminishing returns.” Take that and couple it with tastes and what is expected of a Waldorf hybrid, and there’s bound to be disappointed potential customers. I listen to a demo of a Q+ and I think, “worth it.” I listen to a demo of the Quantum and I think, “the filter models in Dune 3 sound better.” I listen to Microwave 1 demos and think, “worth it.” I listen to Quantum demos and I think, “those guys who think it sounds better than Omnisphere are suffering from confirmation bias.” Spark up almost any Prophet X demo and I think, “if i had $4000, that’d be the one.”

It’s all silly, though. So subjective and personal. I love the sound of the Prophet 08, so you’d think the Prophet 12 would be even better, but something about it always puts me off. Inversely, every time I turn on my Tempest, it fills me with awe. Early demos of the Peak put me to sleep. New demos of v 1.2 spark instant G.A.S. For $300, the sound of the Microfreak seems a lot better to me than almost any hybrid on the market. So, who knows?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
I want a Moog One and spent about 45 minutes with it the other day. I didn’t even scratch the surface but I’m not sure what I heard sounded like $8000 but now that you asked I’m not sure what $8000 should sound like.
It was the same with my Prophet X. At $4,000, I was like . . . hmmm. But at the super-discount price I got it for, it's AMAZING! I'm sure I would feel the same if I could snag a Moog One at a similar discount (though, that's highly unlikely).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Well that’s just it, isn’t it?

First you have the subjectivity of what sounds good and what doesnt. Then, once you’ve established that, there is the subjectivity of whether or not the sound you like is worth said price. Multiple layers of people with dofferent tastes and budget.

Two people can agree that something sounds good. Then, one person with a generous budget for musical instruments says it is $4,500 good and another with more limited means says they are absolutely crazy and that they wouldnt spend more than $1,000 for said instrument.

And thus the dance in Gearslutz continues. Both annoying and addictingly fun at the same time.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
All fair points, and to make my point more clear, what I didn’t like about the Quantum wasn’t a matter of “quality” but more of “character.” I was probably hoping to hear the Waldorf Wave MK2, and it’s not that. As usual, I’m doing what I encourage others not to do, judging something on what it isn’t. </hypocrisy> For fun, I sparked up Soundcloud demos of the Quantum and it seems pretty damn good to me. My opinion could have been largely due to crap initial patch design.

As for your carpe-syntho, I say, if you’ve got money in the bank for a rainy day, your bills are paid up, and kids (if there are kids) are fed and schooled, then go for it. One thing I did for myself is that I set up some arbitrary budget for music gear, because in my heart, I would love to own the Quantum... the Prophet X and the Moog One. Hell, throw in a Waldorf Wave while you’re at it! So, I’ll only buy synths with either gift money or money from the sale of something I already own. The budget is so that I don’t lose sight of bigger, but less sexy goals, like buying a house, saving for my daughter’s education and retirement. Look at me! I’m adulting! That does’t mean I can’t get one of those beauties, but it means I have to wait and save. Considering my current situation, that is most likely what will happen, because I know that I have everything I need to make good sounding music (now is that music good? ) so setting up a long term goal will be the way to stop buying every cheap and cool thing that comes out.
You're saving for your daughter's retirement?? Now that is forward-looking!

Don't forget to include the price of a hazmat suit, though.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddoggie View Post
I do not have a Quantum, however ... based on your Carpe Diem statement there is no question. Who cares? What could be lost? Some money? F-that. We are all already idiotically 'saving for retirement / kids college / just-in-case-the-world-is-still inhabitable' - happiness is fleeting, of infinite value, and should never be compromised.

I am a loose cannon - I blew a hole in my neighbors Subaru when I heard about the Moog One. Buy a Quantum, move somewhere cheap to live and make music and love and babies and art, be kind to the less fortunate that live there, and die anyway, knowing that at least you did the right thing.

News about the Moog One led you to shoot up your neighbor's car?? Now that's some truly odd behaviour, there!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Like you, I’m guilty of probably having unrealistic expectations about synths in that price range, but when I think about what they do in relation to their cost, they’re probably priced about right. What’s happening is the natural “law of diminishing returns.” Take that and couple it with tastes and what is expected of a Waldorf hybrid, and there’s bound to be disappointed potential customers. I listen to a demo of a Q+ and I think, “worth it.” I listen to a demo of the Quantum and I think, “the filter models in Dune 3 sound better.” I listen to Microwave 1 demos and think, “worth it.” I listen to Quantum demos and I think, “those guys who think it sounds better than Omnisphere are suffering from confirmation bias.” Spark up almost any Prophet X demo and I think, “if i had $4000, that’d be the one.”

It’s all silly, though. So subjective and personal. I love the sound of the Prophet 08, so you’d think the Prophet 12 would be even better, but something about it always puts me off. Inversely, every time I turn on my Tempest, it fills me with awe. Early demos of the Peak put me to sleep. New demos of v 1.2 spark instant G.A.S. For $300, the sound of the Microfreak seems a lot better to me than almost any hybrid on the market. So, who knows?
It's all just subjective speculation, at least until you've actually used one. Then you have a more stable platform for comparison.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisstake View Post
a very good friend of mine once said, "You'll never see a Brinks truck at a funeral"...
... I'm trying to understand: this is because no-one ever buries paper currency with the corpse?

Because no-one's ever in the mood to commit robbery during a funeral???

Because the weight of the vehicle would put deep tread marks into the carefully groomed grass?

There has to be a good reason, I'm not figuring it out......
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
... I'm trying to understand: this is because no-one ever buries paper currency with the corpse?

Because no-one's ever in the mood to commit robbery during a funeral???

Because the weight of the vehicle would put deep tread marks into the carefully groomed grass?

There has to be a good reason, I'm not figuring it out......
Meaning, "You can't take it with you..."
Old 1 week ago
bax
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieclouser View Post

There was something... more... going on.

And I was really *trying* to be good and go easy on new gear this year. That apparently isn't gonna happen. Now I need to find a place to put the [email protected] thing...

Seriously though, thanks very much for sharing your experience; I was hoping this particular noisemaker was not gonna live up to the standards Waldorf has set forth with respect to the letter 'Q' (especially sound quality-wise) and I'd have at least a year or two to wait and let it get sorted out, but given that they seem to be committed to developing this monster in new and interesting ways I'm getting the sinking feeling that I will not be able to keep fighting against it for too much longer. I think my only hesitation at this point is the potential touchscreen quality issues.

The last time I was *this* distracted by a new synth it resulted in a brand spanking new OASYS finding its way home to me...at least this one won't be quite as painful as that one was.

Thanks!
bax
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I had the Moog One and played it for about 40 hours before returning it.

The user interface is the best I have ever seen on a synth. Preset management is unmatched by any synth I have used... software or hardware. The keybed feels fantastic.

16 voices means you can play happily an EP patch without hearing voice stealing.

When I turned it on and played some basic sounds, it is immediately evident it is an analog synth and not software. It's got something software doesn't.

You are really getting some tangible benefit for the high price tag. That said, there was something I was looking for that I was not finding in the sound. It does not lend itself to the edge... the place where sounds seem like they are almost gonna spin off into chaos but don't... that is where I get goosebumps and didn't with the Moog One which for me is a little too on the tame side. That is entirely my own subjective interest and maybe even unrealistic for a big analog poly.

So for me it was not worth the $8K but for someone else easily might be. It is an ambitious synth and in the general sense, I consider it worth the price... just not for my specific interests.

If the Quantum had been available when the Moog came out I likely would have gone with the Quantum and never tried the Moog.
Old 1 week ago
I have both and am currently enjoying the quantum more. The moog one needs alot of firmware work imo.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search