The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Warm (organic?) digital synths
Old 11th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacca View Post
i have one and it was the first thing that popped in my head when i saw this thread.
I'd describe it as rubber-on-glass: super-heavy VA, like a DCO analog with goodies like FM, nice FX, 4x parameter automation up to 8 bars, and oscillator sync.
Old 11th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovietpop View Post
-The Nord Modular G1. Even without any FX there is something special about that synth. Gritty, warm and kinda organic sounding.

-Ensoniq Sq80 (hybrid) is incredibly warm and organic sounding. Factory preset are awful of course, you really need to program your own patch.

-Mutable Ambika (hybrid) This one is incredible, the most underrated synth ever IMO. I dont know why, maybe its the filters ( have the smr4) but there is something about those Digital OSCs. Sometime i think im playing an old VCO poly. I like it better than by OB6 .. yep .
Tell me more about Ambika.
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

Run it through a culture vulture everything will have that analog warmth.
Old 11th February 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighesttree View Post
I'd describe it as rubber-on-glass: super-heavy VA, like a DCO analog with goodies like FM, nice FX, 4x parameter automation up to 8 bars, and oscillator sync.
Yamaha reface CS (same engine as AN1x) warmth:

Old 12th February 2019
Lives for gear

I definitely agree with the comments about the Waldorf XT being particularly cold. Those filters do little to warm that thing up! Not to say it doesn’t sound great, but warm it is not.

I have always considered the ensoniq ESQ 1/SQ 80 to be truly “organic“ digital-analog synthesizers. Something about the combination of low-bit rate samples and poor multisampling just makes this thing sound very alive, even before you get to the filter.
Old 12th February 2019
Deleted 48a4a93
an1x
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Guru

Here’s a vote for the Modor NF-1. Not sure how, but he’s managed to get it to sound simultaneously digital and warm at the same time.
Old 23rd February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by musichascolors View Post
Ensoniq ESQ-1/ESQ-M is the warmest sounding synth I've ever heard, digital or analog.
Thanks for the hint. Then I'll get mine fixed!
Old 23rd February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by guictr View Post
Tell me more about Ambika.
I love SID music and loved the NES/ C64 music to death, and I love the "chip synths" like the Shruthi, Ambika, SammichSID, but they are harsh in the computerized way I like.

I have the AN1x and it can either be warm (which it prefers) or harsh if you are really insistent on it. As a long time CS1x owner all of the above cannot compete in terms of warmth, however of course with higher resolution and more beauty comes more harshness. I am drawn to the Yamaha CS15 over all the newer analog synths (except maybe Studio Electronic analog synths?) however that's not digital. The Shruthi is one of the few modules that I want to warm up / lo-fi down. My Emu Procussion can slam my studio with drums sounds (harsh industrial type) but does not give the impression of being harsh which is in the ears of the beholder.
Old 23rd February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by geob View Post
I have the AN1x and it can either be warm (which it prefers) or harsh if you are really insistent on it. As a long time CS1x owner all of the above cannot compete in terms of warmth, however of course with higher resolution and more beauty comes more harshness. I am drawn to the Yamaha CS15 over all the newer analog synths (except maybe Studio Electronic analog synths?) however that's not digital. The Shruthi is one of the few modules that I want to warm up / lo-fi down. My Emu Procussion can slam my studio with drums sounds (harsh industrial type) but does not give the impression of being harsh which is in the ears of the beholder.
Are you saying the CS1x is very warm?I had the CS1x the day it was released, it was sold along time ago, but recently bought a CS2x for nostalgia reasons. To my ears the filter is very harsh and digital, not warm. It has a unique character.

The An1x can be warm and cold, but I love it. Also have an EX5, which can be very warm, but also digital, depending on the synthesis type used.
Old 24th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimket View Post
“Warm” and “organic” as descriptors for (purely) digital synths does my head in, lol. Just makes no sense whatsoever. To me.

But I’m sorta curious what others perceive here. So I’ll keep an eye on this thread. Might learn something!
Right? I know it’s a thing for people but to me it’s like asking “which potatoe makes me feel less afraid and wooden”.
Old 24th February 2019
Lives for gear

(especially those potatos with an 'e' on the end.)
Old 24th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
oh ps. are the JV-880s any good? still really cheap
I just sold mine. They are ok. Very few presets, even with a card, since the card also only holds 64 presets. The higher frequencies sound much more crisp and sharp, and some sounds have more 'body' to them, and sounded better to my ears.

http://www.synthmania.com/Roland%20J...ightGuitar.mp3

Or the Fantasia preset -

http://www.synthmania.com/Roland%20J...tasia%20JV.mp3

compared to the JV/XV or Integra 7

http://www.synthmania.com/Roland%20J...tasia%20JV.mp3

There's a certain richness, depth and 'body' to the preset on the JV880 that the others didn't have when I worked with them back to back before I sold it. No, I wouldn't recommend it personally, but there is something about its tone that I do like.

Devon
Old 24th February 2019
Lives for gear

Sounds of musical instruments that I think are good, sounds that excite my heart.
Just put a little color on the white canvas, warmth is expressed.
there is a slight sounding in the state of silence, you can feel a sign.
Even a slight sound may feel warm.
It does not matter whether it is digital or analog.
Old 24th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
Potatose?
Old 24th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl. Punishment View Post
Potatose?
woops, my bad
Old 24th February 2019
Gear Addict

As far as digital synths go the warmest sounding one i have owned was a DK Synergy without a doubt. it always amazed me.
Old 24th February 2019
Lives for gear

from the digital (hybrid) synths i have/had, i‘d say the d50, an1x, micromonsta, k2000, sq80 and dw8000 can all sound very cold AND warm/organic.
Old 24th February 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequadix View Post
Any d-synth through this:

That was my main guitar effects processor for a long time. I loved that little wedge.
Old 24th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
Heh, no doubt
Old 24th February 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimket View Post
“Warm” and “organic” as descriptors for (purely) digital synths does my head in, lol. Just makes no sense whatsoever. To me.

But I’m sorta curious what others perceive here. So I’ll keep an eye on this thread. Might learn something!
Well, look at it this way. There is no such thing as a “(purely) digital synth.” Every synth ends at a DAC, even software. I think early digital did a lot of tricks like filtering and dithering to make the best of less than great bit depth and sample rates. Those tricks, and the occasional addition of analog filters on synths that weren’t “purely digital,” ended up giving digital synths a character that could be called “organic” when compared to modern digital instruments that just use abundant memory and CPU cycles to avoid artifacts.
Old 24th February 2019
Gear Nut

ESQ-1, DW8000, K2000 and D-50 all come to mind.
Old 14th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichascolors View Post
Ensoniq ESQ-1/ESQ-M is the warmest sounding synth I've ever heard, digital or analog.
That was my main synth for years. I still have it in the attic and think I will drag it out again. I also have a TS-10.

They are worth buying for the onboard sequencers alone. The ability to rapidly record and then play back 60+ sequences in any order makes for really fun writing.

ESQ1 requires you to store and load sequences from tape.

TS-10 needs floppy disks. Unless there is a way to do it I don't know of.
Old 14th April 2019
Does the Yamaha AN200 count? I just bought one but haven't plugged it in yet.
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
So warmth actually comes with a very high end.
Totally not my experience. I think it's only the first few harmonics that contribute to 'warm'. The very high end doesn't really come into play.

I sometimes do parallel distortion. Split the audio path, roll off high freqs, put it through a distortion and maybe roll off some more high freqs if the distortion is severe. Then combine with original to taste.
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Every synth ends at a DAC, even software. I think early digital did a lot of tricks like filtering and dithering to make the best of less than great bit depth and sample rates.
Haven't heared about that one. Which synth does this?
I know Roland (and probably others as well) use a companding algorithm to encode their samples. Maybe that's what you're refering to?

Also, filtering is actually necessary on any digital system to prevent aliasing.
You can only blame early digitals for not filtering enough.
Old 15th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
Haven't heared about that one. Which synth does this?
I know Roland (and probably others as well) use a companding algorithm to encode their samples. Maybe that's what you're refering to?

Also, filtering is actually necessary on any digital system to prevent aliasing.
You can only blame early digitals for not filtering enough.
I might be wrong, but a friend who’s in the know told me that the sample playback of my Ensoniq TS-10 was using some type of dithering algorithm. Seemed to make sense to me, but he could have been wrong. He does work with a lot of analog and digital audio hardware, so I usually trust him.
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I might be wrong, but a friend who’s in the know told me that the sample playback of my Ensoniq TS-10 was using some type of dithering algorithm. Seemed to make sense to me, but he could have been wrong. He does work with a lot of analog and digital audio hardware, so I usually trust him.
Interesting!
Just reading a bit about the ts-10 and it seems to have a 24 bit effects section. Assuming the DACs are at most 16 bit it would make sense to dither in at least that case. But that would be just to correctly reduce the 24 bits to 16 bits. Not really a 'trick', just sampling done right.

Not so sure it uses dithering for the actual oscillators/samples. But at least i'll be off the street figuring it out
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

Yamaha FB-01. Don't laugh!
Old 15th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindseye9 View Post
Are you saying the CS1x is very warm?I had the CS1x the day it was released, it was sold along time ago, but recently bought a CS2x for nostalgia reasons. To my ears the filter is very harsh and digital, not warm. It has a unique character.

The An1x can be warm and cold, but I love it. Also have an EX5, which can be very warm, but also digital, depending on the synthesis type used.
The AN1x excels at delightfully beautifully fizzy sounds that are not at all warm. However, I never think "this sounds too bright", instead I'm thinking this is really nice sounding fizzy brightness, I want more of this!!! Of course the AN1x has a normally soft character that chamelons to whatever is needed.

Yes, my first choice is the CS1x and not the CS2x which I never play since it's already too bright. The CS1x with enough effort can be made to sound like haze or fog rolling in (not much more) as it's simply not capable of very detailed or even very bright. It limitations can easily be a strength though. It's difficult to even find good sounds to use, and it's like digging through the closet. Once you find a sound that is great as a pad with a long drawn out envelope you find that too high of a cutoff is probably yucky (ooph turn it down!). The CS1x works for those hazy mellow hypnotizing pads *if* you have the time to dig through the closet. And you will probably say oh yuck that sucks, ooph that sucks, until you finally find something that works, and of course I thought of selling the CS1/2x many times and even questioned why I bought them. However with time that faded as I designed sounds and realized that I could not get them anywhere else. But it took an embarassing # hours programming to get to that point.

The SH-32 was mentioned as harsh and I totally understand (because without digging deep it will be that way) however it can do a warm VA bass like my AN1x. The Korg R3 is always harsh. the Ensonic VFX is never harsh and can do these amazing 3D-like monster spacious pads (CS1x is not either) but has a traditional sounding vibe (80s like?) that you can never escape and your palette is limited so you have to be parametrically creative which the interface encourages.

I only run bass/rhythm or drums through tube pre-amp, and keep my pads as-is since they like to be crispy and not warm.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search