The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
SoundDiver (Windows version) working on modern OSX
Old 22nd March 2019
Gear Head

Somebody get OP a beer now.

Wine works with magic. Awesome project. It also runs original editors for Yamaha dx200/an200 and Nord Modular:

Stage Engine
Old 8th April 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Kennedy View Post
First, thanks to the OP for originally posting about this.
Secondly, has anyone else found a problem with using a mouse on Sound Diver on Wine where clicking on parameters shows those parameter options, but doesn't allow clicking on them? It allows double-clicking on said-parameter to then input the digit of the option, but that's a bit of a faff. E.g. on the SY77, selecting the algorithm.
Try this concept from my original post:

Select the option box once, and do not move the mouse, you can use the cursor keys to move down to your selection, then you must press enter to have it move to that selection.
Old 8th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDP View Post
Try this concept from my original post:

Select the option box once, and do not move the mouse, you can use the cursor keys to move down to your selection, then you must press enter to have it move to that selection.
Ah, thanks so much for taking the time to reply.
Alas still no joy with that. Might just be my computer.
Old 8th April 2019
Gear Nut

Anyone have interest in a web-based version of something like SoundDiver?

Is patch management the most important feature? Or is having synth-specific editors the killer feature?

What's your top synth(s) to use with something like this?
Old 8th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by researchtriangle View Post
Anyone have interest in a web-based version of something like SoundDiver?

Is patch management the most important feature? Or is having synth-specific editors the killer feature?

What's your top synth(s) to use with something like this?
I use SoundDiver with a Virus C for both library and editing functions.
SoundDiver is very well laid out and the editor is easy to use and understand, much more so than other editors I’ve tried.
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
Here’s a link to the full version of Emagic's Sound Diver 3.054 which also includes the Authorizer app so the CD-Rom is not required. You may have to run this Auth app every 30 days.

Emagic SoundDiver v3.0.5.4-OxYGeN

Here’s a link to the PC version of SoundDiver Virus for Access synths only.

sd_virus_660r1_pc_oem.zip - Google Drive

I’m also going to see if Wine will run the Roland XV-5080 Editor for PC which is still available on their site.
Followup: It works! I ran the downloaded .exe which uncompressed the files. Then ran the setup.exe, chose Custom and XV-5080 and Librarian options. Then ran the installed XV apps from the Wine folder and it's working.
Roland - Support - XV-5080 - Updates & Drivers

You’ll need to install Wine and Wine Bottler. The 2.0 beta appears to work as well as 1.8.6, either should do.
To use Wine, select the .exe or .msi file and choose to Open With/Wine. Use the option to Run Directly and if you have more than one choice of destinations, chose the Wine folder from the list. You may get an error saying there's not enough room on the drive, Ignore this. Text Not Found error will pop up twice and then SoundDiver should open.
WineBottler | Run Windows-based Programs on a Mac

If any of these links try to install or download Flash Player, delete that. You don’t need Flash for anything and you should never install Flash.

Once you get SoundDiver to open, add your synths modules manually by scrolling down the list, highlighting the synth module you need, then Add lights up, click that. To assign the midi ports, in the parameters window, click on the Input Port area and when the pull down opens, use your arrow keys to move to the correct midi port that corresponds with the synth, then hit enter. This approach seems to work whenever there’s a pull down. Make sure you're synth is set to receive and transfer sysex and that you have the memory protect off. It's a good idea to back up your internal patches with a sysex dump before starting this.
Holy cow this worked for my Virus C. I am hearing sounds I thought I'd lost forever, all thanks to the hard work of everyone here! I literally spent hours trying to hack my library files in a hex editor yesterday to see if I could end up with any meaningful code, then stumbled on this thread. I can't believe this whole thing worked and I can't thank you guys enough.
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

Curious if this all still works on Mojave OS? Thinking it might but it’s the last OS that will support 32 bit apps.
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Curious if this all still works on Mojave OS? Thinking it might but it’s the last OS that will support 32 bit apps.
Hi Guavadude, yes it seems to run fine... i'm running Mojave 10.14.5
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Is the external USB dvdrom essential?

Title states my question.

Is there some reason internal optical drives will not show up, or not show up easily? Has anyone who has succeeded in this installation done so via authorizing using an original CD but in an internal drive?

Edit: I answered my own question, sort of. I'm running Wine, and Diver runs (but see next Reply in this thread) on an MBP with El Capitan, the optical drive is healthy, authorization works (see below).

Last edited by exdc; 4 weeks ago at 01:47 PM.. Reason: Figured out part of the answer to my question.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Got it to run - NOT...

Have gotten far enough to have installed Wine and its Bottler, Wine running as expected.

Right-clicked on the Diver exe-file and associated it with Wine, and it opened. Soon asked for authorization, which was successful using the internal optical drive (called F in my Wine installation, had to mess around with Configuration in Wine). Successfully authorized!

Started looking through the installation in the Wine File Manager. Several weirdnesses.

The Diver app is called SOUN~EEK.EXE - is that OK? I'm familiar with the locations of modules and adaptations and help files in Mac installs. In the Wine File Manager in SoundDiver's Diver folder (default for these file types) I can see .ADA-files (adaptations) and regular modules and help-files starting at 01V.ADA and ending at Cs6.hlp, after that nothing. Alphabetically truncated list in other words.

Worse: when running what appears to be the Diver app (SOUN~EEK.EXE) the first thing that happens is a warning Text not found accompanied by the typical Diver soundbyte. This is repeated one time. The program finishes starting up, but:

The next warning that comes reads

Could not load Module "01W" (126)

This warning is repeated for every module and/or adaptation from 01W to Zentera, so its last warning reads

Could not load Module "Zentera" (126).

Now inside Diver I can see the Setup window and the Install window, but the Install window is empty! Nothing to install. Clearly my original installation di not work. I decided to try the other windows in Diver.

The Library window opens, shows a number of libraries that came w the install. Each library opens correctly, double-clicking a patch elicits the response

No suitable Device found for this Library Entry

Not surprising.

Hitting the Editor window produces this:

The program SOUN~EEK.EXE has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

I remember this message as a frequent guest when beta-testing Diver for Emagic (forever ago). Diver crashes, I saved the error log just in case.

So, there's something wrong with my original installation. I did this using the 3.0.5.4 file accessed via the GS-link. Could I instead somehow use the Windows Diver installer on my CD?

Anybody?

Sorry for the long post. I'll let this go till I understand how to proceed.

PS: forgot to mention: running all this in El Capitan on an MBP from 2010 or maybe 2012.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Which device(s) are you trying to use SoundDiver for?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Which devices

Whatever happens to be on hand, as long as there's a functioning SD .ADA-file or Module for it and I own it or can own it. [Add: D550 is one, Wavestation etc]

My earlier post was a request for help getting SD Win to correctly install and get authorized in Wine, and since others have got this sussed I figure my installation will sooner or later function as expected. But till then I need help.

Anybody?

Last edited by exdc; 3 weeks ago at 11:03 AM.. Reason: Explanation
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Pic of the Setup space

This is what the Setup window space looks like in my install. Having gotten this far in the install, obvious quite a few things are working correctly, but there is no indication that SD has any contact with the synth modules.

Haven't included a pic of the OSX-app Audio MIDI Setup, but it looks exactly as you would expect. Only after it was configured did a list of available ports (for each module during installation) show up for each module in the WIN-SD version in Wine.

In the other OS's I have some experience of, there is always an icon for the computer, in the pic here it should be where the line/lines end, at the top left of the large gray space for modules in the graphic.

Here I have removed the Unitor icon: it didn't seem to have any function, and was connected to the same lines that disappear in the top left ie where it reads Computer (but with no computer icon) as do the synth modules. None of the synth modules was connected to the Unitor icon in WIN-SD, seemed kind of beside the point to keep it there...

Any idea what's gone wrong here? SD in OS 9 works just fine, same physical connections to the Emagic interfaces as for WIN-SD.

Maybe I should trash Audio MIDI Setup's prefs file or something, then ignore it altogether, clean Wine and SD out again, and reinstall, trusting that the physical cable connections between the Emagic interface and the computer will still provide the same ports (to WIN-SD) with no particular input needed from me?
Attached Thumbnails
SoundDiver (Windows version) working on modern OSX-win-sd-setup-pic.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Which MIDI interfaces work?

Have had a lot of help from a GS member and am narrowing down the puzzling parts.

I am trying to use Emagic interfaces, with generally speaking no success.

For those who have succeeded and can actually use Diver for receiving, transmitting and editing one or more devices, which MIDI interface are you using?

So far we know that a MOTU MIDI Timepiece AV absolutely works for these three tasks. No changes are possible in Diver’s settings without crashing Diver, but note: Diver’s Settings are not the same as its Preferences, which does work...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdc View Post
Have had a lot of help from a GS member and am narrowing down the puzzling parts.

I am trying to use Emagic interfaces, with generally speaking no success.

For those who have succeeded and can actually use Diver for receiving, transmitting and editing one or more devices, which MIDI interface are you using?
Hi, I'm using the Emagic AMT8, RME's built in 2/2 Interface from the HDSPE and both work.

kind of ... because, some adaptions don't (like the microwave one), some work good, like the jv-880 for example. and than there's the thing with the pull-down menus and the selection, having to use the cursor than typing return and the crashing when trying to edit the preferences.

it's still a bit of a headache.

switched back running sounddiver on parallels (win xp) and an extra m-audio uno midi interface which i'm routing into the emagic amt-8 via a loopback made in 'MIDI Patchbay'. One for each synth. It's mainly for the microwave.

In parallels, sounddiver really works like in the old MacOS9 days, which was perfect. no problems or strange workarounds.
Old 1 week ago
My AMT8 requires absolutely no setup whatsoever and works perfectly in any Wine or VirtualBox setup I have. I have my old Sound Diver installed in Virtual Box under WinXP because I dont want to use Oxygen's 20 year old crack for it. VirtualBox can authorize my CD and use the AMT8 just fine and works just like it did when this was a current OS and system. Even got the half-assed Blofeld adaptation to work this time, using a USB connection even, but its hit or miss whether I can dump the whole thing before it dies. Of course the fun part was getting the Win2000 drivers installed under it but at least its possible there. The driver is too old for Win 7/8/10. Under WINE the Nord Modular Editor works perfect without any extra setup either. It just works, except for the fact that under WINE it crashes when you try to download the banks to the computer.

If they had USB support in it, I would just be running it under OS 9 in QEMU or SheepShaver (My G3/G4/G5s are still at my old house hehe). I can get it installed just fine, but neither one passes through the AMT8 to the OS. SheepShaver actually freezes and hangs when you try to connect it heh.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowudders View Post
Hi, I'm using the Emagic AMT8, RME's built in 2/2 Interface from the HDSPE and both work.

kind of ... because, some adaptions don't (like the microwave one), some work good, like the jv-880 for example. and than there's the thing with the pull-down menus and the selection, having to use the cursor than typing return and the crashing when trying to edit the preferences.

it's still a bit of a headache.

switched back running sounddiver on parallels (win xp) and an extra m-audio uno midi interface which i'm routing into the emagic amt-8 via a loopback made in 'MIDI Patchbay'. One for each synth. It's mainly for the microwave.

In parallels, sounddiver really works like in the old MacOS9 days, which was perfect. no problems or strange workarounds.
Could you expand on the setup a bit please. I tried this at one point but couldn't figure out how to get my MOTU MTP AV to use drivers for both Windows and Mac OS at the same time. Wine 2.0 is working well for me and my Virus C. Now that it's setup it works every time and doesn't crash unless I try to use some of the upper menu items.

The loopback idea in the midi patchbay might be what I was missing.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Could you expand on the setup a bit please. I tried this at one point but couldn't figure out how to get my MOTU MTP AV to use drivers for both Windows and Mac OS at the same time. Wine 2.0 is working well for me and my Virus C. Now that it's setup it works every time and doesn't crash unless I try to use some of the upper menu items.

If youre trying to run it in a virtual machine like Parallels or VirtualBox, you dont get your interface in both OS's at the same time, thats just not how it works.

WINE uses the systems drivers and translates all of that to Windows through the wrapper. It either works in WINE or it just doesn't, some stuff just doesn't work through the wrapper period. I imagine you also need to make sure you are using multi-client drivers as well, or its not going to work even natively.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Sorry, i was talking about the 'Midi Patchbay' application
http://notahat.com/midi_patchbay/

This I'm using when running Sounddiver in Parallels and the m-audio midi interface installed in Windows XP (running via Parallels). This m-audio midi interface I am patching and routing back into my main midi-system via the 'Midi Patchbay' application above.

I'd love using wine 2.0 but the pop-up menu selection makes it unusable for something like the JV-880, which is running fine otherwise. And the Adaption for the Waldorf Microwave 1 just does not work on Wine 2.0 or crossover (which is the same thing, a curated shell i think). it scrambles on sysex receiving, all goes much too fast, no idea.

Via Parallels and patched back (physically, I'm using input/output 8 of my old emagic interface), everything works totally fine, same Version, same Adaptions.

BTW: I also have a license for SD, still have the CDs, still the old emagic key (ran it on Rosetta for a loooong time), but this hacked version seems to work well enough ...
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowudders View Post
crossover (which is the same thing, a curated shell i think). it scrambles on sysex receiving, all goes much too fast, no idea.
Yep, Crossover, like PlayOnMac, is just a fancy manager for WINE. It uses what it calls "bottles" to install that act more like a mini Windows system than an individually self-contained wrapped WINE application (ever notice that Nord Modular Editor is like a 600+MB WINE app? Thats because it has its own install of Windows in it). You can install other apps to the bottles alot easier than you can with WINE itself, and keep everything in one single bottle instead of having 12 apps each with its own 600MB Windows install inside it.

It warns me all the time that I should install new apps into their own bottle, but I have a whole little Win 7 ecosystem living in it and just keep installing new apps to that same Win7 Bottle.

It does have its quirks though, the legit Sound Diver doesn't work in it. It will install just fine, but because youre translating Mac to Windows, it wont authorize the CD when it needs to. Im guessing its because its the Mac partition of the disc thats mounting (its one of those old Hybrid cd's) and thats what's getting passed through to WINE. It worked perfectly fine under VirtualBox though and reads the Windows side of the disc when its inserted.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
How do you install drivers

Seems everyone but me has the right drivers getting installed but how?

Also, there at least two posters that have emagic interfaces working, just not with every module/adaptation. After maybe 20 attempts, always deleting all traces of the previous installs, I set it up again, Wine 2.0 from the winebottler site, SD 3.0.5 from that old crack, then arbitrarily started by installing the Matrix 1000 module. It worked and works perfectly! Continued with a D550 (doesn’t work), a microWave (doesn’t work), a Proteus 2000 (doesn’t work), Morpheus (doesn’t work), and then gave up.

To complicate matters, nearly every module and adaptation in SD was released in many different versions, but there is no available master repository of these. I only have 4 SD CDs, only one of which is marked 3.0. A limited number of sets of adaptations and modules.

Maybe I should go back to the install method that worked for the Matrix 1000 and try the modules and adaptations for all the midi gear I can get hold of to determine hopefully that maybe lots of gear can be edited in SD, just not all of gear.

And in case someone wonders: I have not succeeded in using my original CD’s for any Windows install in the Mac though they are marked Mac and Windows. I find no Windows files on them in my Macs, and no Windows files when trying to install from CD via Wine. And yet I had followed OPs guide for making the CD readable in Wine...

Final question: is anyone able to use Diver’s help files? In my OS9 install they all work, all are in the same folder as the module and adaptation files (it’s called Diver). They are sometimes essential for working with the intricacies of SoundDiver.
Old 1 week ago
Youre on a Mac right? There is only one driver possible to use if youre using an Emagic interface so that shouldn't be an issue. Im not sure what your issue is with getting it to work, it works flawlessly over here in both WINE itself or under Crossover/VirtualBox. The only catch is the CD reading issue in WINE/Crossover as you've seen. Its because the cd is the old 'hybrid' cd format. There are literally two partitions written on the disc, one that is Macintosh format, and one that is Windows format. Because of the way the hybrid format works, you can usually only see the side of the disc for the OS youre booted into. This is why WINE and Crossover cant read the Windows side of the disc, but virtual machines like Parallels and VirtualBox and VMWare can. It unmounts the CD from the host OS and passes it straight through to the virtual OS so it can take it from the ground up. Its very possible its the crack your using, it could be something else. WINE in general is rather picky about what it works with and not, and often requires alot of tweaking as well. Trying to get some of my old games running was the most frustrating nightmare ever. My CD isn't the final version, I think there was one update for it after I bought it. The adaptation versions aren't as that widespread as you make it sound, none of them were updated that often and if they were, it was hosted by the author and wasn't on the SD cd anyways (Like the Waldorf Blofeld one). I use my Microwave XT with it all the time, it works the same as it did in 2002 under Mojave and VirtualBox.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
started by installing the Matrix 1000 module. It worked and works perfectly! Continued with a D550 (doesn’t work), a microWave (doesn’t work), a Proteus 2000 (doesn’t work), Morpheus (doesn’t work), and then gave up.
Yeah, i feel you, i remember a time, when you had to start sounddiver before logic or it didn't wirk. stuff like this.

In your case, I'd narrow down the problem. Run SD on a real virtual machine like Parallels/VirtualBox with a real midiinterface (my Midisport UNO was 10,-) and see if the Adaptions for the Morpheus, D-50, Microwave work. In my case the Microwave one did flawlessly, so the culprit has to be Wine.

I think.

BTW: If you have a Microwave 1 with the newest OS 2.0 you have to SCAN the module, don't just ADD it, otherwise the Adaptation has none of the new parameters, like HMT, moddestinations, etc...

Last edited by cowudders; 1 week ago at 08:51 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
VB the way?

So far VB is the first of these many WinSD in Mac in which Diver’s Setup window looks right...
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
So far VB is the first of these many WinSD in Mac in which Diver’s Setup window looks right...
VirtualBox is pretty much the best thing. Ive run XP for years in it, and finally moved it up to 7 now because some of the stuff I was using finally left the XP era behind. Ive ran 8/8.1 and even upgraded it with the free Windows 10 they gave us 8 owners when it came out. 8 and 10 ran kinda slow which is understandable, but 7 seems ok. Ive even run 95/98/ME/2000 in it just for kicks. It was a blast flashing back to those days when I ran the installers hehe. They all work as they should so far, my drives go back and forth, USB devices are plug and play, same with CD drives, etc. Mine is dedicated to Sound Diver, the Nord Modular editor and like my Steam/GOG games I cant play on the Mac. None of the newer ones but the DOSBox/old Windows ones run great in it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search