The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A post NAMM confession
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Addict

A post NAMM confession

This year for the first time I got really caught up in NAMM. Like an addict I was checking this board for any sign of anything. And fact is, I have everything I need (there are a few things I want, but maybe just one more item I actually still need). And I realize what I need is to put in the time and learn what I have and perfect my process for making tunes. It will take work and it will be fun, but most importantly it will be fruitful. I will still hang out here and post when I have something to add, but I will not chase after the next piece any more. That has lost its charm.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Until the next announcement and GS thread frenzy.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

I’m checking in but I don’t see much. A little hybrid synth from Arturia... another from Korg, a new Make Noise filter... did I miss anything?

Of course Behringer is still talking about the same clones they’ve been talking about for years... what else?
Old 26th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
I’m checking in but I don’t see much. A little hybrid synth from Arturia... another from Korg, a new Make Noise filter... did I miss anything?

Of course Behringer is still talking about the same clones they’ve been talking about for years... what else?
Same here... bit of a let down this year. Waldorf Kyra?
Old 26th January 2019
hehe My new years resolution was to work harder and buy more gear. (but I've been selling quite a bit, so...)
I now have a rule "one piece out - new piece in" with the same function. Making choices is hard sometimes, but not a bad thing.

What else? Akai Force is a very nice, modern sampler/sequencer/controller. Redefines workflow for a lot of people.
Teenage Engineering and Korg modular for entry level players. Some new modules. Some shifts and takeovers. That's about it, I think.

But NAMM is a trade show for the industry really.
Looking forward to Dancefair (usually the stuff they couldn't get out on time ) and Superbooth/Musikmesse. That's a big one.
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sds1fs1r View Post
This year for the first time I got really caught up in NAMM. Like an addict I was checking this board for any sign of anything. And fact is, I have everything I need (there are a few things I want, but maybe just one more item I actually still need). And I realize what I need is to put in the time and learn what I have and perfect my process for making tunes. It will take work and it will be fun, but most importantly it will be fruitful. I will still hang out here and post when I have something to add, but I will not chase after the next piece any more. That has lost its charm.
I too found it a bit exciting -- NAMM being something I've heard about, but this year being the first time I've had any awareness of it in real time. But my main interest is really just to be aware what new developments might affect the current market
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Looking forward to Dancefair (usually the stuff they couldn't get out on time ) and Superbooth/Musikmesse. That's a big one.
^ That's probably more relevant these days than NAMM, for this board anyway. And yeah - speaking from an engineer's perspective, it's nice not to have to jump through hoops right after the first of the year, if you can get away with it (NAMM, CES, whatever).
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Elektron Model:Samples
Arturia Micro Freak
Teenage Engineering modular kits
Moog Sirin
Waldorf Kyra
Akai Pro Force
Korg Minilogue XD, Volca Modular, Volca Drum
Stylophone GenR8
Yamaha CP-73, CP-88, keytar for dogs?
Flame Maander
Sensel Morph Buchla Thunder overlay
Mod Duo X
Rossum Trident ringmod osc
presumably Black Corp Xerxes and Kijimi?
Behringer's event with VC-340, RD-808, MS-101, Oddy, Pro-1, mystery synth tomorrow
more modules
bunch of Fender pedals, including at least 2 stereo in/out

That's just what I remember. It wasn't like there was NOTHING...

Last edited by PuggaMahone; 26th January 2019 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: Fender
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

I'm tempted with the 2 new volcas, and quite possibly that Dreadbox effects box but nothing else has really raised my brow.

As for the New Elektron box I still can't understand why they even bothered making it baring in mind Digitakt.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone View Post
mystery synth tomorrow
Eh, we're not done then?
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Currently obsessed with the Kyra it hurts...
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Elektron Model:Samples
Arturia Micro Freak
Teenage Engineering modular kits
Moog Sirin
Waldorf Kyra
Akai Pro Force
Korg Minilogue XD, Volca Modular, Volca Drum
Stylophone GenR8
Yamaha CP-73, CP-88, keytar for dogs?
Flame Maander
Sensel Morph Buchla Thunder overlay
Mod Duo X
Rossum Trident ringmod osc
presumably Black Corp Xerxes and Kijimi?
Behringer's event with VC-340, RD-808, MS-101, Oddy, Pro-1, mystery synth tomorrow
more modules
bunch of Fender pedals, including at least 2 stereo in/out

That's just what I remember. It wasn't like there was NOTHING...
The Arturia Microfreak, Behringer Pro 1, RD – 808 and Behringer MS – 101 and the Akai Force are the winners at this NAMM show, in my opinion. If you observe your list, most of these synths are relative small, and this is going to be the new trend. People love to build small hardware setups nowadays.

Good attempts from Korg with the drum and modular Volcas but, they’re too small and very limited.
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Maniac
its been my experience that for at least the last five years or so, most of the big synth announcements come at Messe and Superbooth. NAMM to me at least seems more pro-audio and tech these days.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

zzzzzzzzz.

This is been the worst NAMM I can remember. Other than the Eventide Phaser MkII plugin and Kyra, there's nothing that's been announced that I'm the slightest bit interested in.

Mostly, there's just a lot of cheap junk.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post
Eh, we're not done then?
Behringer said they're presenting a mystery synth this Sunday. I have a feeling it's either RD-909 or that PCB they leaked this summer, but as a prototype.

Also, basically nothing yet from Roland, despite all the rumors? They missed my list, conspicuously. They have a cloud-based sound expansion that even their own presenter didn't bother to download in time for the first day, and also an acoustic drum library. Maybe their polysynth got stuck in traffic.
Old 26th January 2019
Kja
Lives for gear
Buchla is now selling the 100 series clones under their brand and verbos has a new small affordable controller out, imagine if verbos had included a simple triangle oscillator and function generator in the new keyboard, they would have owned namm.. it would be the perfect jump-off to get a modular system going.. I don't get these companies decisions, instead Arturia gets the money.. foolish..
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Behringer said they're presenting a mystery synth this Sunday. I have a feeling it's either RD-909 or that PCB they leaked this summer, but as a prototype.

Also, basically nothing yet from Roland, despite all the rumors? They missed my list, conspicuously. They have a cloud-based sound expansion that even their own presenter didn't bother to download in time for the first day, and also an acoustic drum library. Maybe their polysynth got stuck in traffic.
I hope the 909 or Pro-1 Cheerz.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search