The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Arturia Microfreak Experimental Hybrid Synthesizer
Old 30th September 2020
Lives for gear

I note Thomann are reporting "more than 2000" of these sold up to 09 Sep. Shows there's a big market for affordable experimental synths at the right price.
Really impressed by Arturia at the moment.
Old 30th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappacat View Post
Are they linked together enabling voice sharing and other stuff(didn't know that was possible) or is that just 2 MicroFreaks sitting side by side ?
I've been using them as either a split keyboard with different patches or the same patch played over both. I've also merged the MIDI outputs and used the MEGAFreak as a PolyAT controller.
Old 1st October 2020
Gear Head

MicroFreak Saga Update: Received 2nd unit, it's perfect. No loose knobs, no knob jitter, no phantom edits.

Here's to many hours of solid freaking!
Old 2nd October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Place cat treats on the flat keyboard of the freak To encourage all your kitties to join in on the freaky fun
Old 5th October 2020
Gear Head

My very first MicroFreak recording:
https://soundcloud.com/astrospy/micr...bass-test-case

Used the A/B sequences while tweaking, then played an 2-op FM tone over it. Some breakbeats, delay and distortion and a big compressor. Nice job. Real nice.
Old 26th October 2020
Gear Nut

Hi guys, is the MF output mono or stereo? Do I need a splitter to plug it to two inputs of my soundcard? I'm trying to save on the number of slots of my 18i20.

Manual says: The output of the MicroFreak is monaural. Connecting stereo headphones will merely provide the identical sound on the left and right sides (i.e., mono).

I'm confused. I thought the MF had stereo effects?
Old 26th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by spnc View Post
Hi guys, is the MF output mono or stereo? Do I need a splitter to plug it to two inputs of my soundcard? I'm trying to save on the number of slots of my 18i20.

Manual says: The output of the MicroFreak is monaural. Connecting stereo headphones will merely provide the identical sound on the left and right sides (i.e., mono).

I'm confused. I thought the MF had stereo effects?
100% mono. No advantage to the "stereo" headphone jack - both channels are an identical split.

No effects onboard. A couple oscillators include a single knob chorus parameter, but it's a mono chorus at the oscillator stage, into a single mono filter.
Old 26th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro Spy View Post
100% mono. No advantage to the "stereo" headphone jack - both channels are an identical split.

No effects onboard. A couple oscillators include a single knob chorus parameter, but it's a mono chorus at the oscillator stage, into a single mono filter.
Thank you so much. I can save a slot on my interface, great 👌🏻
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My OG MicroFreak 4+4 :D

A wonderful 4-octave ((( stereo ))) MacroFreak (i.e. Microfreak x 2 = MacroFreak)

I love this powerful little hybrid synth rig.

Here it is placed and angled up on a wood board which sits atop a same-width wood stand. I currently use this MF rig by setting the board on the arms of my ergo recliner chair where it fits perfectly. This allows me to play it whilst reclining (which really helps me deal with my chronic back pain and get more time bonding with it). It will eventually be permanently placed in a slid-out tray under my Prophet 6+6+LFE table rig. But, it's nice to know I can always put the MF on this board and relax with it on my recliner.
Attached Thumbnails
Arturia Microfreak Experimental Hybrid Synthesizer-arturia-microfreak-4-4-_02.jpg   Arturia Microfreak Experimental Hybrid Synthesizer-arturia-microfreak-4-4-_03.jpg   Arturia Microfreak Experimental Hybrid Synthesizer-arturia-microfreak-4-4-_00.jpg   Arturia Microfreak Experimental Hybrid Synthesizer-prophet-6-6-microfreak-4-4.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Got my freak on order, finally, complete with the dandy gooseneck I hope (if they haven't sold out of stock completely).

Looking forward to hearing how much of the mutable instruments 'soul' is in this after all the tweaking of their code by Arturia.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I bought a Freak again too, but I still have the freak curse it seems. Can't seem to get one into my hot little hands.

1st Freak I bought (used from Amazon seller) never shipped. Got a refund.
2nd, from another Amazon seller, had to get another refund because they only had 1 left and it was damaged.
3rd, bought from another Gearslut. He shipped it a week ago and the USPS has been taking its sweet time. It's been to NJ, NY, back to NJ and as of now, STILL in NJ. Wondering if I'll even have it by Xmas at this point.

I might just have to hit Sweetwater for one (then the one I bought will suddenly show up).
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
I bought a Freak again too, but I still have the freak curse it seems. Can't seem to get one into my hot little hands.

1st Freak I bought (used from Amazon seller) never shipped. Got a refund.
2nd, from another Amazon seller, had to get another refund because they only had 1 left and it was damaged.
3rd, bought from another Gearslut. He shipped it a week ago and the USPS has been taking its sweet time. It's been to NJ, NY, back to NJ and as of now, STILL in NJ. Wondering if I'll even have it by Xmas at this point.

I might just have to hit Sweetwater for one (then the one I bought will suddenly show up).
Geez, that's nuts. Sounds like my Sub-37 hassles. I went through 3 before getting the 4th keeper (all from SW). And, I'll probably send it in to Moog for the $350 kb and mixer upgrade, so it's still not quite settled with the 37. But, Subby is worth it.

My OG MF pair came from GC with 10% off. Normally, I'd want a deeper discount and would go with my usual reps, but it was fine and I wanted them here asap. These are reasonably priced for what you get inside and out, so an exceptional value in hardware synths on all counts, afaic.

Good luck!
Lives for gear

Memory Freaks Part-1 - by string6theory © 2020 (cut)

Here's a sample single-pass track from my MacroFreak to get you by until yours arrives kpatz.
Attached Thumbnails
Arturia Microfreak Experimental Hybrid Synthesizer-arturia-microfreak-4-4-_09.jpg  
Attached Files

00 - Memory Freaks Part-1 - by string6theory © 2020 (cut).wav (14.38 MB, 1047 views)

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Your clip appears missing, string6theory. I'd like to hear it.

Count me among those who love the Microfreak! I am hoping they come out with a deluxe version some day, with larger keyboard, second LFO, perhaps a second filter, etc.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
Here's a sample single-pass track from my MacroFreak to get you by until yours arrives kpatz.
I thought it was a track that conveys your love for music.
It sounds nostalgic and I think it's wonderful.

The tone is very good. It seems to be a very nice atmosphere if you cut off the tail of the track, turn up the volume, apply deep delay and reverb, repeat the fade-in process and place it on the back as a drone. Especially if you edit the silent part of the intro to hear the drone first, it will be gorgeous.

MICROFREAK is a great instrument.

Thank you.

If you can listen to it, I will send you the remix track you created.
If you have no problem with it.
If there is no problem, paste it on this board.

After all, it would be great if we could hear the completed track. That is the best.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, sounds great. My freak is STILL "in transit" with no updates on location since the 15th. So it's either still sitting somewhere in Jersey City, or on a truck somewhere probably fell under the seat or something, or it slipped through a crack in the space time continuum and is floating around in some other dimension.

Or maybe one of the Mars rovers will find it there, along with all those missing socks.

So much for "priority mail". And now I'm gassing for an Elektron Model:Samples, almost bought one yesterday but I'm going to wait for the hell-i-day rush to be over so that too doesn't disappear into the abyss. Maybe I'll order one in January and get it faster than the Freak.

Last edited by kpatz; 3 weeks ago at 01:57 PM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
Thanks, sounds great. My freak is STILL "in transit" with no updates on location since the 15th. So it's either still sitting somewhere in Jersey City, or on a truck somewhere probably fell under the seat or something, or it slipped through a crack in the space time continuum and is floating around in some other dimension.

Or maybe one of the Mars rovers will find it there, along with all those missing socks.

So much for "priority mail". And now I'm gassing for an Elektron Model:Samples, almost bought one yesterday but I'm going to wait for the hell-i-day rush to be over so that too doesn't disappear into the abyss. Maybe I'll order one in January and get it faster than the Freak.
This makes me sad :(
Lives for gear

I just ordered one of these from Bax-Store.de for €246. Due to arrive on Wednesday. Stoked.
Lives for gear

Now, I’m just putting this out there, but what if I wanted to get a little freaky with my micro freak and utilize my tongue on the capacitive keys?

Don’t ask. It **IS** a Microfreak, so don’t, umm, judge me....

My honest question is before paramedics have to get involved with the crazy synthesizer guy on the street separating fried tongue from micro freak, is there any real danger in doing anything like that because I’ve never licked my finger either and touched the capacitive keys, but What I have done just last night was I wanted to see if it would react to hot breath so I would breathe on it and there was really no way I could control it so I got a straw and that was a little easier to control but I still would activate two or three notes at a time, so....

....I think I’m onto something as I like to tinker and experiment but I don’t want to be found fried or I have to call paramedics to separate me with the jaws of life from my microfreak and my tongue

Seriously all you micro freak owners out there breathing on a really nice pad sound I suggest JP strings original factory preset number 183 and gently blow hot air onto the keyboard surface you get a whole different modulation thing going on so I really think I’m onto something here.

Last edited by namnibor; 3 weeks ago at 09:19 PM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
Now, I’m just putting this out there, but what if I wanted to get a little freaky with my micro freak and utilize my tongue on the capacitive keys?

Don’t ask. It **IS** a Microfreak, so don’t, umm, judge me....

My honest question is before paramedics have to get involved with the crazy synthesizer guy on the street separating fried tongue from micro freak, is there any real danger in doing anything like that because I’ve never licked my finger either and touched the capacitive keys, but What I have done just last night was I wanted to see if it would react to hot breath so I would breathe on it and there was really no way I could control it so I got a straw and that was a little easier to control but I still would activate two or three notes at a time, so....

....I think I’m onto something as I like to tinker and experiment but I don’t want to be found fried or I have to call paramedics to separate me with the jaws of life from my microfreak and my tongue

Seriously all you micro freak owners out there breathing on a really nice pad sound I suggest JP strings original factory preset number 183 and gently blow hot air onto the keyboard surface you get a whole different modulation thing going on so I really think I’m onto something here.
Dude, pass the bong
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjontheroad View Post
Dude, pass the bong
I came upon this accidentally in that I was running my canister vacuum cleaner in my studio and I had it set up on a stool, And as I was lightly vacuuming around I kept hearing this pad sound turned off the vacuum cleaner didn’t hear the pads on this went on three times until I saw the cause-and-effect finally and it was the heated exhaust from the vacuum cleaner blowing onto the capacitive of keyboard surface...I felt like Marie Curie when she discovered luminous radium

(Or a new ‘Mr. Bean’ movie)
Lives for gear

Quote:
I came upon this accidentally in that I was running my canister vacuum cleaner in my studio and I had it set up on a stool, And as I was lightly vacuuming around I kept hearing this pad sound turned off the vacuum cleaner didn’t hear the pads on this went on three times until I saw the cause-and-effect finally and it was the heated exhaust from the vacuum cleaner blowing onto the capacitive of keyboard surface...I felt like Marie Curie when she discovered luminous radium

(Or a new ‘Mr. Bean’ movie)
Clips or it didn't happen
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Machinery View Post
Your clip appears missing, string6theory. I'd like to hear it.

It's attached as a wav file. Is anyone else having trouble playing the attached wav file song in post 2353 above?

For those who listened and replied above (Jpro600k and kpatz), thank you for your kind words, I really appreciate it!

Normally I'd convert the song to mp3 so I wouldn't have to cut it off to keep the wav file size down for GS to be able to upload it, so it would also embed into the post, but I broke my compatibility with my PT HD rig which has the mp3 conversion app I use - when I had to upgrade from OSX Sierra to Mohave do to a Mac permissions problem that froze my computer (ridiculous story).
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's attached as a wav file. Is anyone else having trouble playing the attached wav file song in post 2353 above?
For those who listened and replied above (Jpro600k and kpatz), thank you for your kind words, I really appreciate it!

Normally I'd convert the song to mp3 so I wouldn't have to cut it off to keep the wav file size down for GS to be able to upload it, so it would also embed into the post, but I broke my compatibility with my PT HD rig which has the mp3 conversion app I use - when I had to upgrade from OSX Sierra to Mohave do to a Mac permissions problem that froze my computer (ridiculous story).
Hi,string6theory

It's attached as a MP3 file. Remix version.
Your track is very beautiful.
Thank you.
Gear Maniac

What is the wiring of the MIDI Ports on the Microfreak? Type A or Type B?

I bought a preowned Microfreak. The adapter cables were not with it. Google search has not found a direct answer. Arturia (manual and online support) just says to use the included cables. I have seen a number statements where people _guess_ that it is probably Type B because that is what the Beatstep uses. It's a reasonable guess but...

There was no specification for wiring TRS ports and different devices used different connections. A couple of years ago, before the Microfreak was introduced, the MIDI Association standardized on Type A. Most manufacturers have been migrating to that with new products. I wonder if Arturia is migrating there as well.

Does anyone know for sure?

Last edited by SynMike; 3 weeks ago at 03:18 AM.. Reason: clarity, grammar
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynMike View Post
What is the wiring of the MIDI Ports on the Microfreak? Type A or Type B?

I bought a preowned Microfreak. The adapter cables were not with it. Google search has not found a direct answer. Arturia (manual and online support) just says to use the included cables. I have seen a number statements where people _guess_ that it is probably Type B because that is what the Beatstep uses. It's a reasonable guess but...

There was no specification for wiring TRS ports and different devices used different connections. A couple of years ago, before the Microfreak was introduced, the MIDI Association standardized on Type A. Most manufacturers have been migrating to that with new products. I wonder if Arturia is migrating there as well.

Does anyone know for sure?
https://www.midi.org/midi-articles/t...d-and-released

https://1010music.com/product/4-ft-m...s-to-5-pin-din

https://1010music.com/product/midi-a...5-pin-din-midi

Mini TRS Audio Jacks for MIDI Connections Compatibility Guide
https://1010music.com/eurorack-modul...tibility-guide

How to Make Your Own 3.5mm mini stereo TRS-to-MIDI 5 pin DIN cables
https://www.midi.org/midi-articles/u...pin-din-cables

TRS to MIDI Type B

It is cheaper to create it yourself.
Lives for gear

Laugh now, but I just played a pad using a blow dryer directed at freak keys, with extra added unexpected really, benefit of heat in my synth cave, win/win.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Laugh now, but I just played a pad using a blow dryer directed at freak keys, with extra added unexpected really, benefit of heat in my synth cave, win/win.
Is a blow dryer recommended?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpro600k View Post
Is a blow dryer recommended?
Not necessary, overkill , my warm breath through a straw directed at keys is pretty fantastic, a panting dog would provide a master LFO on output.

Last edited by namnibor; 3 weeks ago at 10:20 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My question (and I'll be able to answer this myself if my Freak ever arrives), are the keys actually capacitive, or resistive?

Easy way to tell to wear thin rubber or plastic gloves, or put your hand in a sandwich bag, or put a piece of paper or plastic between your finger and the keys and see if the keys still respond. If they do, they're capacitive. If not, they're resistive.
📝 Reply