The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Arturia Microfreak Experimental Hybrid Synthesizer
Old 27th September 2020 | Show parent
  #2311
Lives for gear
 
djwaxxy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpro600k View Post
some yt



The organs and synth wave sounds in the first vid are superb..

There’s a lot of free expansions on the Arturia website there really good too.
Old 27th September 2020 | Show parent
  #2312
Lives for gear
 
djwaxxy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpro600k View Post
Does anyone play MICROFREAK with an external keyboard?

I felt it was very good to play with an external keyboard with many keys.
Even when I played on the 88-key piano keyboard, I felt that it was excellent without any discomfort.
Don't forget to select MIDI + KBD in the Utility-MIDI settings.

I recommend it because it improves playability and gives you a very good experience.

Of course, playing with a 61-key keyboard is a great experience. It will be a gorgeous MF.
The number of keys seems to have a considerable advantage.
I always play my micro freak with a komplete kontrol mk2..I like the touchplate but I have no room too put it so I have it tucked away in a corner of my studio..I can still get at it too change parameters but it’s no ideal too play it we’re it is so the way I use it makes sense.
Also I have it connected to my uad Apollo via a patch bay and have my pedal board connected too the patch bay as well so I can patch the mf anyway I want..I can even patch it too my Korg monologue,neutron and use there filters as well as the mf filters .
Old 27th September 2020 | Show parent
  #2313
Lives for gear
 
Jpro600k's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwaxxy View Post
I always play my micro freak with a komplete kontrol mk2..I like the touchplate but I have no room too put it so I have it tucked away in a corner of my studio..I can still get at it too change parameters but it’s no ideal too play it we’re it is so the way I use it makes sense.
Also I have it connected to my uad Apollo via a patch bay and have my pedal board connected too the patch bay as well so I can patch the mf anyway I want..I can even patch it too my Korg monologue,neutron and use there filters as well as the mf filters .
Hi,djwaxxy

I think your usage, which is not tied to the MF interface, is sophisticated.
I think It's very nice that your setup allows you to focus only on the sound.

In my case, I can rest assured that the MF is right in front of me.
I will enjoy it carefully.
Old 27th September 2020 | Show parent
  #2314
Lives for gear
 
djwaxxy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpro600k View Post
Hi,djwaxxy

I think your usage, which is not tied to the MF interface, is sophisticated.
I think It's very nice that your setup allows you to focus only on the sound.

In my case, I can rest assured that the MF is right in front of me.
I will enjoy it carefully.
if you havent got a patchbay you need to get one mate there a god send and can open up tons of creative posibiltys.
and with the new vocoder features that can open up even more..so for example now i can use the patchbay to patch my juno6 into the audio in on the microfreak then use that to vocode the sound then patch that into my pedal board ...record that into my daw then patch it back out too work on it some more if i want.

i find if i get writers block after a hour using the patchbay the creative juices kick back in..

i use this..its the behringer px 3000 its mega cheap but the reason why i love it so much is its one of the very few patchbays wre you can direct the patched signal anyway you want..
it has a switch on top above each patch point so you can choose the direction and how the signal will work,most patchbays dont have this feature there usually very very simple and cost much more but this px3000 is only around £60 but offers tons of possibiltys.
its especially great if you havent got room for a mixer in your studio and cant afford a multi input audio interface.
Old 27th September 2020
  #2315
Old 27th September 2020 | Show parent
  #2316
Lives for gear
 
Jpro600k's Avatar
 


ambient track

using preset 7 Brd But Arp and preset 12 Darkstream

It's a really great synthesizer.
Old 27th September 2020 | Show parent
  #2317
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpro600k View Post

ambient track

using preset 7 Brd But Arp and preset 12 Darkstream

It's a really great synthesizer.

Nice track.
Old 28th September 2020 | Show parent
  #2318
Gear Maniac
 
Zappacat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpro600k View Post
Does anyone play MICROFREAK with an external keyboard?
.
I use it with my KeyLab 61 a lot. It's a great change of pace from using the onboard control surface. The onboard control surface is so cool though. With USB battery pack and good set of headphones I don't have anything that comes close to it for sound exploring wherever I want to take it. I sometimes use the MicroFreak control surface to control my HydraSynth desktop module. It's awesome for that especially since desktop version doesn't have the ribbon controller. It's a good substitute for a remote ribbon control surface. While the slide/ribbon controller isn't very large/long it's easy to program the parameters on it. The MicroFreak control surface has really opened up new ground for me when it comes to midi controllers. If there's a better value(on a lot of different criterion) in synths right now I don't know what it is.
Old 28th September 2020 | Show parent
  #2319
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Hey, I just want to be clear, I was not saying that about you or trying to start a fight...rather, that is just something that some certain groups have been doing online for a few years now as a signal, but it is not widely known. That’s all. Sorry if I offended you, it certainly wasn’t my intention...rather, was just trying to give you a heads up that posting that particular sequence of characters online may unintentionally give off the wrong idea to others! Again, truly sorry for any offense. That’s my last word on it. Let’s get back to the MicroFreak talk.
I think you were being entirely reasonable. You're looking out for the board. You were very conscientious with your phrasing, and I don't see anything to apologize for. <deleted by moderator - let it be> Please don't let people's sour responses dissuade you from speaking up. It's worth the risk of ruffling a few feathers now and again.

Last edited by Reptil; 28th September 2020 at 11:04 PM.. Reason: 9
Old 28th September 2020 | Show parent
  #2320
Lives for gear
 
Stormchild's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpro600k View Post
Does anyone play MICROFREAK with an external keyboard?
Yes. Sometimes I find it easier to play with an external keyboard — especially velocity and aftertouch. I have a KeyStep next to the MicroFreak and often use that instead. On the other hand, the MicroFreak supports some playing styles that aren’t possible on any of my other keyboards, like tilting a finger to control “pressure”, and poly pressure. It takes some practice to use it effectively, but it’s definitely an interesting and different interface than a standard keyboard.
Old 28th September 2020 | Show parent
  #2321
Lives for gear
 
Jpro600k's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans10 View Post
Nice track.
Thank you so much!
Old 28th September 2020 | Show parent
  #2322
Lives for gear
 
Jpro600k's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
Yes. Sometimes I find it easier to play with an external keyboard — especially velocity and aftertouch. I have a KeyStep next to the MicroFreak and often use that instead. On the other hand, the MicroFreak supports some playing styles that aren’t possible on any of my other keyboards, like tilting a finger to control “pressure”, and poly pressure. It takes some practice to use it effectively, but it’s definitely an interesting and different interface than a standard keyboard.
Hi,Stormchild

I wish there was a function to ignore only the pitch.
Old 28th September 2020 | Show parent
  #2323
Lives for gear
 
Jpro600k's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappacat View Post
I use it with my KeyLab 61 a lot. It's a great change of pace from using the onboard control surface. The onboard control surface is so cool though. With USB battery pack and good set of headphones I don't have anything that comes close to it for sound exploring wherever I want to take it. I sometimes use the MicroFreak control surface to control my HydraSynth desktop module. It's awesome for that especially since desktop version doesn't have the ribbon controller. It's a good substitute for a remote ribbon control surface. While the slide/ribbon controller isn't very large/long it's easy to program the parameters on it. The MicroFreak control surface has really opened up new ground for me when it comes to midi controllers. If there's a better value(on a lot of different criterion) in synths right now I don'
Hi,t know what it is.
Hi,Zappacat
I think your synth combination is also pretty good. attractive.
I envy you.
It is very good that the ability as a controller is also attractive.
Thank you.
Old 28th September 2020 | Show parent
  #2324
Lives for gear
 
kpatz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpro600k View Post
Hi,Stormchild

I wish there was a function to ignore only the pitch.
You could apply negative modulation of pitch by key tracking to "ignore" pitch.
Old 28th September 2020
  #2325
Lives for gear
 
djwaxxy's Avatar
Can’t wait until I get my Osmose it’ll be amazing using the Keybed to play the micro freak
Old 28th September 2020 | Show parent
  #2326
Gear Maniac
 
Zappacat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpro600k View Post
Hi,Stormchild

I wish there was a function to ignore only the pitch.
??? You have to assign something to affect the pitch regardless. Are you starting with init patch or trying to modify something someone else created ?
Old 28th September 2020 | Show parent
  #2327
Lives for gear
 
namnibor's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpro600k View Post
Does anyone play MICROFREAK with an external keyboard?

I felt it was very good to play with an external keyboard with many keys.
Even when I played on the 88-key piano keyboard, I felt that it was excellent without any discomfort.
Don't forget to select MIDI + KBD in the Utility-MIDI settings.

I recommend it because it improves playability and gives you a very good experience.

Of course, playing with a 61-key keyboard is a great experience. It will be a gorgeous MF.
The number of keys seems to have a considerable advantage.
My freak is midi tied to one of the two midi outs on keystep pro and I can use both touch board and ksp keys, ksp sequencing freak. Freak then goes through two EQD pedals, Transmisser and Afterneath to mixer.
Attached Thumbnails
Arturia Microfreak Experimental Hybrid Synthesizer-image_6431_0.jpg  
Old 28th September 2020 | Show parent
  #2328
Lives for gear
 
AceNoir's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappacat View Post
??? You have to assign something to affect the pitch regardless. Are you starting with init patch or trying to modify something someone else created ?
Sounds like Jpro600k wants to use an external keyboard for pitch and the freaks to apply pressure etc
Old 28th September 2020
  #2329
Gear Head
 

For anyone sleeplessly following my MicroFreak saga: Returned first unit. (Way too much knob jitter and self-editing to keep.)

Ordered and awaiting second unit.

They say the third time is the charm. I won't know - I'm only giving this thing 2 times. Fingers crossed!

If this one is also a mess, then I guess I'll just get a Monologue and make terrible music.
Old 28th September 2020 | Show parent
  #2330
Lives for gear
 
kpatz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceNoir View Post
Sounds like Jpro600k wants to use an external keyboard for pitch and the freaks to apply pressure etc
About the only way I can think of to pull that off is to turn local off, send the midi from both the MF and the external controller through an application that will take the note on/off from the controller and merge it with the poly AT data from the MF (filtering out notes from MF) and send both back to the MF.

Of course, poly AT is per note, so if you play a certain note and you want to apply pressure data to it, you'd have to press on the corresponding note on the MF keyboard.

Or just use channel AT from the controller keyboard if you don't need poly AT. No special trickery needed there.
Old 28th September 2020 | Show parent
  #2331
Gear Addict
 
bjoerngiesler's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkozyra View Post
<deleted post>
<moderator message - let's get back on topic - this only invites more OT discussion>

There's literally nothing to be seen here, move along.

BTW I love my MicroFreak, especially combined with a NTS-1.

Last edited by Reptil; 29th September 2020 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: 9
Old 29th September 2020 | Show parent
  #2332
Lives for gear
 
string6theory's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappacat View Post
<deleted by moderator OT>
<deleted by moderator OT>



BTW, happily rocking on my OG MF 4+4... it's been a blast so far. I'll take some pics and upload.

I'm also looking forward to controlling this rig with my Hydrasynth and Osmose when it arrives. After this temp Freakboard setup, where I'm able to sit comfortably in my recliner and get to know the MF's well, it will be permanently in a slide-out try under the Prophet-6+6+LFE rig, which will also be a good Fatar kb to control it, if I don't want to use the capacitance flats.

Last edited by Reptil; 29th September 2020 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: 9
Old 29th September 2020 | Show parent
  #2333
Gear Maniac
 
Zappacat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post

BTW, happily rocking on my OG MF 4+4... it's been a blast so far. I'll take some pics and upload.
I guess I'm behind the times. What is microfreak 4+4 ?
Old 29th September 2020 | Show parent
  #2334
Lives for gear
 
kpatz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappacat View Post
I guess I'm behind the times. What is microfreak 4+4 ?
Two Microfreaks side by side? 4+4 refers to the voices of paraphony each?

Sort of like how some call a Prophet 6+OB-6 combo the "6+6".
Old 29th September 2020 | Show parent
  #2335
Gear Maniac
 
Zappacat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
Two Microfreaks side by side? 4+4 refers to the voices of paraphony each?

Sort of like how some call a Prophet 6+OB-6 combo the "6+6".
Are they linked BEYOND MIDI with respect to voice sharing, LFO's, keyboard extension, etc...(like you can link a hydrasynth desktop to keyboard to expand polyphony) OR is it just 2 Microfreaks sitting next to each other ?
Old 29th September 2020 | Show parent
  #2336
Lives for gear
 
tjontheroad's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappacat View Post
I guess I'm behind the times. What is microfreak 4+4 ?
A.K.A. MEGAFreak

Old 30th September 2020 | Show parent
  #2337
Gear Maniac
 
Zappacat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjontheroad View Post
A.K.A. MEGAFreak
Are they linked together enabling voice sharing and other stuff(didn't know that was possible) or is that just 2 MicroFreaks sitting side by side ?
Old 30th September 2020 | Show parent
  #2338
Lives for gear
 
string6theory's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjontheroad View Post
A.K.A. MEGAFreak

...
Hehe, exactly, ...except I'm using dual OG MF's.

And, was using MacroFreak, but MEGA works too!

@ Zappacat ...

- They're currently connected via 1/8" CV Clock Sync & MIDI I/O, so sequences played on MF1 will sync and play on MF2 - while you can also play a lead melody on MF2, and depending on the voices you use to play melody, the sequence may cut out, but when you stop playing lead, the seq picks right back up in sync. Of course, MF2 can have a completely different sound or just subtle tweaks. Sounds great hard panned L/R, Centered or anywhere in between, depending.

- The other main way I've been playing them is as one WIDE 4-octave kb, so when opening a preset, I'll drop MF1 by 1-octave and raise MF2 by 1-octave. That's it! The only issue is that there is one extra key at the far right of MF1, which is the same note as the 1st far left key on MF2. But, it's pretty easy to play over it and get the exact same affect as if the MF had a 4-octave keyboard.

- What I'd like to be able to do, tried several times, but haven't yet worked it out (maybe I need to use MCC), is to setup MF1 as a synced master keyboard for MF2, where MF2 would play precisely with MF1 and layer its sound in perfect time (or tweaked to be slightly off) - which would make for a truer ((( stereo ))) soundscape. Whereas, when playing each kb independently, the slight variations when playing on MF2 make it a completely different track. Ie, if you play guitar (or synth) and duplicate the track, then hard pan, adding a slight timing change to the dupe, you can mess with Haas - which can make the track sound super wide, as opposed to playing two separate tracks and hard panning, which is my favorite way with gtr, but a different resulting sound.
Old 30th September 2020 | Show parent
  #2339
Gear Maniac
 
Zappacat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
Hehe, exactly, ...except I'm using dual OG MF's.

And, was using MacroFreak, but MEGA works too!
Thanks for the info on the way you have them connected and what you're doing with them SO FAR. Sounds/looks cool.

So MF1 in your setup is the clock for both and the MIDI mirrors everything played on MF1 to sound engine on MF2 and you leave MF2 local on so you can play other stuff on MF2 keys unless sequence from MF1 takes all the polyphany?
TRIPPY

I'm really glad I have this synth not only for the sounds but the unique control surface kicks ass as well. I've been connecting it to my hydra desktop and using it as a pseudo ribbon controller and some other things utilizing the sequencer/ARP with SPICE and DICE. Since you have both desktop and keys you probably haven't the need. But it does work quite well.

What's MacroFreak ?
Old 30th September 2020 | Show parent
  #2340
Lives for gear
 
string6theory's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappacat View Post
Thanks for the info on the way you have them connected and what you're doing with them SO FAR. Sounds/looks cool.

So MF1 in your setup is the clock for both and the MIDI mirrors everything played on MF1 to sound engine on MF2 and you leave MF2 local on so you can play other stuff on MF2 keys unless sequence from MF1 takes all the polyphany?
TRIPPY

I'm really glad I have this synth not only for the sounds but the unique control surface kicks ass as well. I've been connecting it to my hydra desktop and using it as a pseudo ribbon controller and some other things utilizing the sequencer/ARP with SPICE and DICE. Since you have both desktop and keys you probably haven't the need. But it does work quite well.

What's MacroFreak ?
Well, not quite... MF2 mirrors the sequence from MF!, but not the notes I play manually on MF1. That was the 3rd way I want to use it that I described above. I need to figure out why it's not working. Local control settings, different MIDI channels, I/O and sync settings, still nothing. I think I'll need to open MCC and see what's up.

I must try your Hydrasynth and MF tricks... sounds cool!

Macro is the opposite of Micro... like MEGA vs mini or major vs minor... just a play on words. I recorded two songs this weeks called EPIC Freaks (Part-1 & Part-2). That's another good name for this rig.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 173 views: 29993
Avatar for tjontheroad
tjontheroad 9th September 2020
replies: 4368 views: 374245
Avatar for Shakuh
Shakuh 5 hours ago
replies: 509 views: 56616
Avatar for calli
calli 1 day ago
replies: 0 views: 228
Avatar for kabamaru
kabamaru 9th May 2020
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump