Arturia Microfreak Experimental Hybrid Synthesizer
Old 19th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpro600k View Post
Hi,Astro Spy

Did you use this firmware?
MicroFreak_Firmware_Update_2_1_4_930.mff
Yes, installed this. The self-edits are still happening. The bend strip click is still here.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecanek View Post
It’s a known bug that happens when you set Local off https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=95390.0
I'm not using mine with a DAW or automation, so this does not seem to be a MIDI issue.

If I go into the matrix and adjust a modulation amount, in the middle of scrolling, the screen will sometimes jump to resonance or cutoff, or sustain, or some knob I have not touched. Sometimes there's no change in sound, but sometimes there is an effect. The screen will strobe between the matrix amount and the ghost parameter.

I've tried every catch setting and I'm on the latest firmware.

It's like noise in knob position signals are not being filtered out, and scrolling the matrix knob increases the noise?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro Spy View Post
It's like noise in knob position signals are not being filtered out, and scrolling the matrix knob increases the noise?
Early Freaks (like mine) were afflicted by this, but a firmware update to damp jitter in the encoders fixed it. It almost seems like the issue has come back...
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymooger View Post
Early Freaks (like mine) were afflicted by this, but a firmware update to damp jitter in the encoders fixed it. It almost seems like the issue has come back...
I really love thus thing, just wish it wasn't so buggy. I can't be the only one with this issue, so maybe it will magically go away in the next firmware.

My most common ghost edit is envelope filter amount.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
So, I opted for dual OG charcoal-colored MicroFreaks to have that ((( stereo ))) polysynth presentation I love so much. This humble little synth is frickin amaze ballz. I can't wait to see where I go with it. The Prophets (and other synths) also respond to PAT, so having the MF's act as controllers could be interesting.

Thanks to @ tjontheroad for his salt & pepper MF rig and video that got me hooked on the concept - as though I needed a lot of convincing to get a stereo synth pairing.

The OG MicroFreak 4+4 will sit on my new under desk slide-out tray from Vivo (on Amazon) which provides the perfect platform for these lap synths. They also happen to go great with the charcoal Prophets and look like they're from the same family.
Hi,string6theory
If Knob send cc is set, will another MF synchronize normally?
Did you transfer the same preset from the MIDI control center and make it the same?

your setup image is gorgeous.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymooger View Post
My new white vocoder edition screen jumps much more than my original gray MF.
Gear Maniac

The build quality on these things is kind of what you'd expect for the price, frankly.

I've never encountered one without a quirk. On mine the keybed is not flush on one side.

I don't think my encoders are loose but the knobs sure are.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjontheroad View Post
My new white vocoder edition screen jumps much more than my original gray MF.
Yikes! Sorry to hear that, how weird. There goes my idea about upgrading to the white version to solve the jump glitch.
Lives for gear

How to Perform a Factory Reset on an Arturia Microfreak
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...ia-microfreak/
Old 19th September 2020
Gear Head

For fun, I tried to power it from my computer's USB and use Ableton with it. The Microfreak went absolutely nuts - stuck notes, tons of phantom edits. Used the regular adaptor with USB, not much better. Standalone still constantly editing itself.

Swap, or return... or keep & wait?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoingBoomTjack View Post
Why would you skip the analog filters, the whole unit would sound like a softsynth with no character. They should even add more analogfilter types imo. Add semfilt, moog filt etc.
I wouldn't say it would sound like a softsynth with no character, but yes, the SEM-style analogue filter on the Microfreak is a necessity to its unique sound, in my opinion.

Coming from a Pressure Points by comparison, the Microfreak capacitive keyboard seemed a luxury to me in this area when it came out, especially for the price! You can do quite a lot with Pressure Points; you can do more with Microfreak, and even more with Hydrasynth! And of course other poly aftertouch type interfaces (fortunately they are now legion).

I hope I live to see an Arturia Polyfreak, I suspect that would be amazing! Having a 61-key capacitive touch keyboard might prove a bit much, though; a 49-er would be sufficient. Plus the Microfreak is amazing in terms of its portability, and a polyphonic one would probably lose that quality. Spice and Dice is also great fun to play with, once you get the hang of it; like Scatter on Roland's MC-707, I could easily see Arturia expanding that concept into an entirely new style of control.
Lives for gear

Quote:
For fun, I tried to power it from my computer's USB and use Ableton with it. The Microfreak went absolutely nuts - stuck notes, tons of phantom edits. Used the regular adaptor with USB, not much better. Standalone still constantly editing itself.

Swap, or return... or keep & wait?
Reset with Utility MISC> Reset Settings.
Please operate without using USB.
Use only normal MIDI (not USB MIDI)for MIDI.
Utility MIDI> Merge and select MIDI + KBD.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Reset with Utility MISC> Reset Settings.
Please operate without using USB.
Use only normal MIDI (not USB MIDI)for MIDI.
Utility MIDI> Merge and select MIDI + KBD.
If the situation doesn't improve, shoot a video of the situation with your camera and contact Arturia directly.
It will add more persuasiveness to your description.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I really love thus thing, just wish it wasn't so buggy. I can't be the only one with this issue, so maybe it will magically go away in the next firmware.

My most common ghost edit is envelope filter amount.
This will be annoying to think about, but rotate all the non-encoder potentiometers to full counterclockwise; then change a patch, and see if it's still happening.

If an (analogue) pot is "between two values" for a digital function, it will confuse the little digital brain which will switch between values in reaction. This is solved by moving the pot to where it is no longer communicating anything to the digital brain, which can then get some sleep.
Gear Head

Quote:
If the situation doesn't improve, shoot a video of the situation with your camera and contact Arturia directly.
It will add more persuasiveness to your description.
Thanks - but even after the reset it's still self-editing. Will have to make a quick video. Tempted to just try returning for another unit, see if it still happens. Really want to love this thing!
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
This will be annoying to think about, but rotate all the non-encoder potentiometers to full counterclockwise; then change a patch, and see if it's still happening.

If an (analogue) pot is "between two values" for a digital function, it will confuse the little digital brain which will switch between values in reaction. This is solved by moving the pot to where it is no longer communicating anything to the digital brain, which can then get some sleep.
Maxing the pots seems to keep the screen from jumping, but it's such an insane workaround. It makes perfect sense though, the pot is in that "dead zone" where there would be no between values or noise/jitter.

But as soon as a knob is out of max, it's vulnerable to self-edits or screen jumps.

This must be a combination bad batch of hardware, and firmware that isn't filtering out enough noise from the pots?

Giving it another day or two of testing...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maxing the pots seems to keep the screen from jumping, but it's such an insane workaround. It makes perfect sense though, the pot is in that "dead zone" where there would be no between values or noise/jitter.

But as soon as a knob is out of max, it's vulnerable to self-edits or screen jumps.

This must be a combination bad batch of hardware, and firmware that isn't filtering out enough noise from the pots?

Giving it another day or two of testing...
Plus sensitivity to the phenomenon. Make sure you have latest firmware installed, using the MIDI Control Center app from Arturia.

It bothers some people a lot (@wentzelitis has been a warpath on this since the day the Microfreak launched), and others (me) not at all.

Proof we cannot be replicated by computers.

Good luck in your decisions! Things may "wear in" over time. Also make sure the thing is grounded, into a three-prong outlet with good grounding; that's a factor as well, with the capacitive keyboard, the overall design has to be more sensitive to electrical variance, and is thus probably very different in its behaviour depending on its electrical environment and earthing.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks - but even after the reset it's still self-editing. Will have to make a quick video. Tempted to just try returning for another unit, see if it still happens. Really want to love this thing!
It sounds like a defect. My biggest problem is getting used to the funky touch keyboard. My fat, spastic fingers always seem to slop over into other keys. Also, I thought my unit was glitchy until I figured out that it was how certain patches were programmed!

I just got my new TRRS > TRS x2 cable today (after waiting for Amazon to take almost two weeks to deliver because smoke from wildfires ). I just updated the firmware last night, so I'll be testing the vocoder tonight. 16 bands! w00t!
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Plus sensitivity to the phenomenon. Make sure you have latest firmware installed, using the MIDI Control Center app from Arturia.

It bothers some people a lot (@wentzelitis has been a warpath on this since the day the Microfreak launched), and others (me) not at all.

Proof we cannot be replicated by computers.

Good luck in your decisions! Things may "wear in" over time. Also make sure the thing is grounded, into a three-prong outlet with good grounding; that's a factor as well, with the capacitive keyboard, the overall design has to be more sensitive to electrical variance, and is thus probably very different in its behaviour depending on its electrical environment and earthing.
Thanks - All excellent suggestions and best practices for this thing.

Hook mode for the controls seems to cut down on the constant screen jumps but they still pop up once the knobs have been tweaked.

Surprised how much I like this thing despite the bugs.
Old 20th September 2020 | Show parent
I just lost hours with the freak this afternoon, layered with a prologue and some BoC patches on arturias fairlight...loved it...sounded lush all blended in. Really cant think why I didnt like it before.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
I just lost hours with the freak this afternoon, layered with a prologue and some BoC patches on arturias fairlight...loved it...sounded lush all blended in. Really cant think why I didnt like it before.
Its size belies its power. It really is a subtle synth, and the matrix stuff is good practice for the Polybrute.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi,string6theory
If Knob send cc is set, will another MF synchronize normally?
Did you transfer the same preset from the MIDI control center and make it the same?

your setup image is gorgeous.
Thank you @ Jpro600k ! I'm putting a lot of effort into this synth rig and this whole home studio!

So, I just hooked up my OG MicroFreak 4+4 late last night and was in some measure of pain, so it wasn't as long as I hoped. BUT... so far, WOW! As a temporary setup, I put them tightly side-by-side on a matching-width wood board from an old bookshelf (now dubbed the Freakboard), so I could lay this across the arms of my ergo recliner next to my mixer, lean back and play more comfortably, instead of sitting upright in my Aerron chair in the synth circle.

It looks really cool like this, I'll have to take pics and post. I can set it down right next to the chair on top of a matching-width wood TV riser - two of which I'm planning to use to prop up my pair of Bogner Golfinger-45 amps off the ground. They just happen to fit the Freakboard perfectly. I love when that happens! :D

So far, all I've done is hook up the MIDI and Clock Sync outs of MF-1 to MF-2 inputs of same. I wanted sequences and rhythmic patches to sync. This seems to work well. I also wanted to try to control MF-2 from MF-1, but that didn't work as expected.

I saved patch 7 "Short Strings" to a new location to experiment, as it's a seq patch and uses PAT, plus sounds great. I tweaked MF-1 slightly and changed MF-2 quite a lot, switching to the FM oscillators, which sounded complementary for the seq and also for lead. I left the MF's hard-panned.

What was really cool is just pressing C1 on MF-1 to trigger the seq plays on BOTH MF's in sync and I can simultaneously play lead on MF-2 over this. The instant I stop playing lead on MF-2, it reverts back to the seq, still in sync. Very nice! If I try to play lead on MF-2 instead, it doesn't work and messes the seq and sound up.

There's an option in the menu to send cc's, which is set to ON for both, but as soon as I set MF-2's LOCAL control to OFF - to see if I could control it from MF-1's panel and kb, MF-2 goes silent. I HAVE to leave local to ON. This was puzzling and I tried different MIDI and sync settings, but when nothing worked I gave up as I wanted to relax and play music.

So, I couldn't get MF-1 to "control" MF-2 with its panel and kb, when the latter was set to local ON or OFF, other then to trigger its seq from MF-1 on the patch I was using. Anyway, I'll do some more experimenting. I'm really liking this rig for now, but just getting started. I didn't even get a chance to use update the FW and use the MCC.
Old 20th September 2020
Does anyone know of any demos that show this doing (useful) sounds that you can't make with a standard subtractive analogue? I really like the idea of the MicroFreak, but I've yet to hear anything sonically that impresses me. In theory it should nicely expand my setup, but I just keep thinking "I have several analogue monos, and I could do that easily". I feel I must be missing something.

Last edited by RGrainger; 20th September 2020 at 07:27 PM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGrainger View Post
Does anyone know of any demos that show this doing (useful) sounds that you can't make with a standard subtractive analogue? I really like the idea of the MicroFreak, but I've yet to hear anything sonically that impresses me. In theory it should nicely expand my setup, but I just keep thinking "I have several analogue polys, and I could do that easily". I feel I must be missing something.
some yt

Lives for gear

Quote:
Does anyone know of any demos that show this doing (useful) sounds that you can't make with a standard subtractive analogue? I really like the idea of the MicroFreak, but I've yet to hear anything sonically that impresses me. In theory it should nicely expand my setup, but I just keep thinking "I have several analogue polys, and I could do that easily". I feel I must be missing something.
My MICROFREAK 14 TRACKS

It will be played sequentially.
Old 20th September 2020
Thanks folks, I'm starting to get sold on this now.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks folks, I'm starting to get sold on this now.
Please play your favorite sound.

Old 21st September 2020
Here for the gear
I am looking for a good Microphone that works well with the MicroFreak.
Do you have suggestions? Thx
Old 26th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by planist View Post
I am looking for a good Microphone that works well with the MicroFreak.
Do you have suggestions? Thx
https://www.thomann.de/gb/arturia_mi...microphone.htm
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...rophone-add-on
https://www.moogaudio.com/en/all/mic...microfreak-mic
https://www.perfectcircuit.com/artur...icrophone.html
https://www.musikhaus-korn.de/de/art...hone/pd/184311

and check
3.5mm TRS to TRRS Adapter
Old 27th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Does anyone play MICROFREAK with an external keyboard?

I felt it was very good to play with an external keyboard with many keys.
Even when I played on the 88-key piano keyboard, I felt that it was excellent without any discomfort.
Don't forget to select MIDI + KBD in the Utility-MIDI settings.

I recommend it because it improves playability and gives you a very good experience.

Of course, playing with a 61-key keyboard is a great experience. It will be a gorgeous MF.
The number of keys seems to have a considerable advantage.

Last edited by Jpro600k; 27th September 2020 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: Added about 61 keys
📝 Reply