The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Arturia Microfreak Experimental Hybrid Synthesizer
Old 6th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpro600k View Post
Hi,

I uploaded the organ preset file for MICROFREAK.
This is the first time I have transferred and saved presets on MICROFREAK, so I have not verified it, so if you can try it, please tell me the result.
Be sure to save your own preset file before using.

Jpro600k_SP_ORGAN_202005

Apply a deeper reverb.

Thank you.

my various organ sounds
Ok thanks. I don’t have my Microfreak here right now. But I will give it a try.
Old 6th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hamburglar View Post
Those sound great. I'm curious if you've attempted to make any "lower-end" organ sounds like a Farfisa or Vox?
Hi,The Hamburglar

like this?
Old 6th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi,The Hamburglar

like this?
I uploaded the lower organ preset file.Assorted various.

preset:Lower_ORGAN_1_202005

Be sure to save your own preset file before using.

have fun!
Old 7th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi,The Hamburglar

like this?
Oh man, that first sound is exactly what I was talking about. I think I like it more than an actual Farfisa?!
Old 7th May 2020
Here for the gear
Does anyone know if notes played in scale mode are sent to the MIDI out port or does that only work internally, like the chord mode?
Old 7th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hamburglar View Post
Oh man, that first sound is exactly what I was talking about. I think I like it more than an actual Farfisa?!
Hi,The Hamburglar

I am very happy that you like it.
Thank you.

Old 7th May 2020
Gear Head

Quick question - does the microfreak map straight out of the box to the arturia soft synth V collection? Anyone got any experience of using it as a controller?
Old 8th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicrich View Post
Quick question - does the microfreak map straight out of the box to the arturia soft synth V collection? Anyone got any experience of using it as a controller?
The knobs do send CCs, but I tested it with a few Arturia plugins and they don't map to the expected functions. The usual way to use an Arturia controller with V Collection instruments is the Analog Lab plugin, which has mappings for most Arturia controllers…but the MicroFreak is not one of them.

The MicroFreak is definitely usable as a controller though, and it even supports polyphonic aftertouch, which is cool…if your DAW supports it. My primary DAW (Ableton Live) doesn't, but I tested it in Logic with my OB-6 and polyphonic aftertouch works as expected. Note that the vast majority of synths that support aftertouch only support the regular kind (monophonic aka "channel pressure") and won't respond to the poly aftertouch messages coming from the MicroFreak.

Personally I don't use it as a controller, and only use it to control itself. It's kinda cool with the Buchla Easel plugin, but for pretty much all other synths I'd rather use a real keyboard.
Old 8th May 2020
Lives for gear

New Track.
Using preset:KickBass
I used MICROFREAK for all sounds.

The features of SPICE and DICE are amazing.

Thank you.
Old 9th May 2020
Lives for gear

New Track.
I used MICROFREAK for all synth sounds.
Preset: 11 TaBass and 149 Fusion Lead and
other my preset

Thank you.

The characteristic of this track is that the organ is divided into two tracks for middle and high, with a little left and right spread.
I think that changing the timbre slightly on the left and right also has a good effect.
You can add depth to a retro organ.
Old 9th May 2020
Here for the gear

Microfreak Ambient Jam

Old 10th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVOA View Post
Does anyone know if notes played in scale mode are sent to the MIDI out port or does that only work internally, like the chord mode?
Hi,DVOA

It seems that the parts not used internally are filled with the same pitch.
It is filled with the same pitch in the scale, but it is not output with the same pitch.
At the moment, I think it's internal only.

Thank you.
Old 13th May 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxxeMan317 View Post
Yup, I've used balanced and unbalanced into a balanced mixer input. Still doesn't get rid of the hiss on some presets.

Again, many presets like "Brd Btr Arp" preset 7 are audibly free of noise by nature of the fact that they have lots of high frequency spectral content and short decay/release. Any noise is naturally masked and then gated in those cases. Others like "Classist" preset 38 present plenty of audible hiss.

I assume others are hearing the same thing?
So, I did the easy thing which was to order another MF.
Same noise/hiss on some presets.
Same output levels.
Same everything.

I'm convinced that certain types of high frequency noise are just inherent to various engines in the MF. I really don't think this is part of the analog amp/filter section as there are plenty of presets with no audible hiss. It's possible the wavetables are a bit noisy. Do we even know what resolution they are? Still, I also heard noise on some non-wavetable engines which I wouldn't expect.

I'm not some golden ear audiophile with $2000 electrostatic headphones. I'm just using decent Philips phones directly at the headphone jack and also on the mixer connected to the main output so I'm not sure why others on this forum don't hear the hiss at all.

Whatever... it's still a great little synth. I guess this is just, as someone else noted, part of it's "character".

Now I have to decide whether to keep my stereo, 8-voice, bi-timbral Microfreak setup or just sell one on Reverb. Having two is kinda cool. :-)
Old 16th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

New Track.
I used MICROFREAK for all sounds.
Preset: 11 TaBass and 149 Fusion Lead and
other my preset

Thank you.

The characteristic of this track is that the organ is divided into two tracks for middle and high, with a little left and right spread.
I think that changing the timbre slightly on the left and right also has a good effect.
You can add depth to a retro organ.
I know you say 'all' tracks, but does that include the drums as well? If so, then you've definitely evangelized another convert to the Cult of the Freak!
Old 16th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
I know you say 'all' tracks, but does that include the drums as well? If so, then you've definitely evangelized another convert to the Cult of the Freak!
all synth sounds!
Thank you.
Old 16th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
all synth sounds!
Thank you.
Cool! Thanks!

Many demos say all sounds, but it's often obvious there's a drum loop or drum samples being used. Had to be sure.

Sigh. That's another $300 I need to steal from a liquor store...
Old 16th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
Cool! Thanks!

Many demos say all sounds, but it's often obvious there's a drum loop or drum samples being used. Had to be sure.

Sigh. That's another $300 I need to steal from a liquor store...
Thank you for your new theme for making sounds.
Old 17th May 2020
Lives for gear

New Track.
Dance Freak.

I used MICROFREAK for all sounds(Synth and Drum).
I created drum sounds.
I've created multiple hi-hat and bass drum presets and used them in combination.
Old 17th May 2020
Lives for gear

ive been holding off buying anything because im one of the lucky people who have a osmose on preorder but its my 15th wedding anniversary in a few days and fathers day in a few weeks so my wifes just said why dont i get you something for your studio.
i could have got anything within reason but after checking i saw the microfreak has poly aftertouch so i thought this might be a perfect companion to the osomse
ill have it in a few days and cant wait ive had my eye on it for ages and been holding out for a bigger version or rack version but that looks along time off now so this will fill a gap.
Old 17th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

New Track.
Dance Freak.

I used MICROFREAK for all sounds(Synth and Drum).
I created drum sounds.
I've created multiple hi-hat and bass drum presets and used them in combination.

This is Ver.2.
MICROFREAK AND MODX
Old 18th May 2020
Gear Nut

Anyone having issues with midi out / thru not working on the Microfreak? Mine worked fine pre 2.0 firmware but since installing it has stopped passing midi messages out. The midi in works fine. I've checked utility settings and the MCC software but everything looks fine; I'm also using the original TRS midi adaptors. Any ideas?
Old 18th May 2020
Lives for gear
MIDI and SYSEX docs - WHEN ARTURIA!?!?!?

Hey Arturia!

================================================================

When do we get full MIDI and SYSEX implementation details for this machine?

================================================================

There's really no excuse we don't have these docs yet. It's not some company secret!
Old 18th May 2020
Here for the gear
MicroFreak ambient improvisation and patch

Just wanted to share a video and pad patch I made for the MicroFreak. The patch uses pressure sensitivity to control the speed of the Cycling Envelope and the amount of Filter Resonance. The Cycling Envelope modulates Pitch, Wave, Timbre and Cutoff.

Download patch here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5sa7jokfei...hole.mfpz?dl=0
Old 18th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscor View Post
Just wanted to share a video and pad patch I made for the MicroFreak. The patch uses pressure sensitivity to control the speed of the Cycling Envelope and the amount of Filter Resonance. The Cycling Envelope modulates Pitch, Wave, Timbre and Cutoff.

Download patch here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5sa7jokfei...hole.mfpz?dl=0
Nice!
Old 18th May 2020
Lives for gear

cant wait mine comes tommorow morning
Old 19th May 2020
Lives for gear

It's just arrived but I'll unwrap it after the big arturia news if its a updated microfreak I'll return it and swap it for that if it's not them I'll hook it up tonight
Old 19th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwaxxy View Post
It's just arrived but I'll unwrap it after the big arturia news if its a updated microfreak I'll return it and swap it for that if it's not them I'll hook it up tonight
Wheres the big news speculation at!?
Old 20th May 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwaxxy View Post
What do you mean by "if it's a updated microfreak" and what's the "big arturia news" ?
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappacat View Post
What do you mean by "if it's a updated microfreak" and what's the "big arturia news" ?
There's another thread about a new Arturia announcement dropping today, but it appears to be an OB-Xa plugin.

No new Freak. At least not yet.

I guess that means djwaxxy can open his up now.

I was kinda hoping for a successor to the Freak.
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

As far as I can tell, today's only announcement is the OB-Xa.

Thread
📝 Reply