The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Arturia Microfreak Experimental Hybrid Synthesizer
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJustice View Post
Check here for tips and a patch for muting the oscillator in order to hear only the oscillating filter.
Nice…it works. Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

After playing with the keyboard a bit more, the "pressure" is actually pretty usable if you make sure to only touch the keys with the tips of your fingers, then use your fingertip as a pivot point to lower your finger until it's flat. Forget about using your thumbs (not gonna happen). Depending on what you're modulating, you can even apply different amounts of "pressure" to each key. The most common use case is the filter cutoff, in which case it's effectively monophonic aftertouch, since there's only one filter.

There's also velocity, which feels like it's based on an accelerometer, but it could be some other kind of sensor. At first I thought it was calculating the surface area at the time of initial contact, but you can prove that's not the case by loading a patch that uses it to control the amp (Utility > Preset > Velo amp mod) and very gently touching a key with your entire finger — it's quiet. Now tap it hard with just your fingertip — much louder.

This thing looks like a keyboard, but it's really something different. Let's be honest — it's mostly just a worse keyboard — however, it does allow some interesting things that aren't possible on a regular keyboard. I would have liked to see them go all in and make the keys work like Animoog, where you can modulate each note by sliding your finger up toward the top half of the key. But it's still kinda cool…as long as you don't try to play it like a normal keyboard.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarao View Post
...I had to keep putting some cream on my hands to work properly. Uncomfortable!....
“it puts the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose again”
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
“it puts the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose again”
Arturia Microfreak Experimental Hybrid Synthesizer-e8b07444-0d0e-4f22-b7cb-4dafe7854557.jpeg
Attached Thumbnails
Arturia Microfreak Experimental Hybrid Synthesizer-e8b07444-0d0e-4f22-b7cb-4dafe7854557.jpeg  
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

is it possible for the microfreak to deactive sending midi clock somehow?
(only want to send midi-notes)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patilon View Post
Perhaps try setting the clock to internal?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Other people have also said this, and I’m starting to realize it’s true: MicroFreak takes time to grow on you. I have to admit I wasn’t blown away by it at first, but the more I dig into it, the more I find it’s actually pretty interesting.

Despite being small and inexpensive, you really have to look at this as an advanced sound design tool. It’s not going to reward you for trying to use it like a typical subtractive synth. You have to explore the oscillator types and mod matrix possibilities to find out what it’s all about. The arpeggiator —and the ability to capture its current state as a sequencer pattern, including the spice and dice — is cool too.

This is definitely a “seriously…read the manual” (or at least watch Mark Doty’s videos) synth.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

i tried all clock-source-options. the microfreak always sends clock per midi (as soon arp/sequencer is activated)
someone knows if this can be deactivated? unfortunately can´t use it that way.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Just like the Beatstep Pro. The clock out thing is a very uncool anomaly given the quality of their products. Really adds to the joys of midi syncing.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyham View Post
Just like the Beatstep Pro. The clock out thing is a very uncool anomaly given the quality of their products. Really adds to the joys of midi syncing.
i can also sync it per analog clock in. but it always outputs a clock..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Arp On and Off
Attached Thumbnails
Arturia Microfreak Experimental Hybrid Synthesizer-arp_on_off.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

yes i know, as i posted before

"always sends clock per midi (as soon arp/sequencer is activated)"
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patilon View Post
Hi,pation

MF :Master
External sound source:Slave

1.Start MF ARP with LOCAL ON
2.Turn LOCAL OFF with Utility-Midi
3.When you play the keyboard, only the external sound source will have notes.
At this time, only the ARP sound continues in the MF.
You can play an external sound source freely while continuing to sound the ARP.

Do you want to playing the keyboard this way?

and check Utility-Midi>Arp/seq midiout On and Off.

sample track : LOCAL on and off_Arp/seq midiout on and off
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

thanks Jpro600k

>Do you want to playing the keyboard this way?
yes, in sync with the external clock.

Microfreak needs to be slave in my configuration.
Computer sends a Clock per E-RM Multiclock to the Digitakt, Microfreak is also in slave Mode.. and sends the ARP to the Digitakt.

If the Computer stays of, Digitakt is the Master. then i can deactivate receiving clock and it works fine.

I guess if i wanna use Microfreak within my configuration, i can´t use the Multiclock and have to send the Clock from the Computer to the Digitakt per USB.
Old 5 days ago
Hey there guys, i'm having a problem when synchronizing my MF.

I defined the source to "clock".

When sending clock from my Prologue 8 or my monotribe and I change patches, always the system crashes after I change 3-7 patches. The screen freezes with the name of the patch and no sound can be heard, no parameters modified, etc. so I have to turn it off and on again.

IDK if someone has had this problem. Also, when I do this, the patches with sequences immediately start the sequence.

Any clue about how to solve this?

Old 3 days ago
mds
Lives for gear

Hey guys!

Recently got one of these in a bulk purchase of a few synths. I'd toyed with it at NAMM and wasn't that interested and then got it and thought it was pretty neat. Now that I've played with it a lot, I think it really is an awesome synth. Its capable of a lot of interesting sounds and the variety of waveforms, looping envelope, and mod matrix make it really fun to tweak away and waste lots of hours having fun. I appreciate all its little differences from my typical subtractive analog synths. As with all, I'm sure, wish it had some reverb or delay and had an external input or other ways to integrate external gear. But for the size and price, its a killer.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds View Post
Hey guys!

Recently got one of these in a bulk purchase of a few synths. I'd toyed with it at NAMM and wasn't that interested and then got it and thought it was pretty neat. Now that I've played with it a lot, I think it really is an awesome synth. Its capable of a lot of interesting sounds and the variety of waveforms, looping envelope, and mod matrix make it really fun to tweak away and waste lots of hours having fun. I appreciate all its little differences from my typical subtractive analog synths. As with all, I'm sure, wish it had some reverb or delay and had an external input or other ways to integrate external gear. But for the size and price, its a killer.
The keyboard is cool too. It's different. It lets you do some things you can't do on anything else. It enhances the small profile.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds View Post
If you're willing to buy another toy, the Korg NTS-1 makes a great companion. I use it as an effects processor for the MicroFreak when I'm not in the studio. You can even use it as a second synth layer if you have a type A-B TRS cable (though there isn't a great way to lower the volume of the NTS-1 relative to the MicroFreak).

For a cheap, tiny thing you put together yourself, the NTS-1 is actually pretty cool. You can also install third-party oscillators and effects. It supports the API as the Minilogue XD and Prologue, though some plugins might not be compatible. I tried a bunch of the free ones here and they work nicely:

https://hammondeggsmusic.ca/logueplugins.html
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

When used as a MIDI controller (for the poly AT) how many notes max can it send? Nothing in the manual about this that I could find.

What's the current status on bugs with the latest firmware update?
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
If you're willing to buy another toy, the Korg NTS-1 makes a great companion. I use it as an effects processor for the MicroFreak when I'm not in the studio. You can even use it as a second synth layer if you have a type A-B TRS cable (though there isn't a great way to lower the volume of the NTS-1 relative to the MicroFreak).

For a cheap, tiny thing you put together yourself, the NTS-1 is actually pretty cool. You can also install third-party oscillators and effects. It supports the API as the Minilogue XD and Prologue, though some plugins might not be compatible. I tried a bunch of the free ones here and they work nicely:

https://hammondeggsmusic.ca/logueplugins.html
I’ve owned the Microfreak twice. Always got tripped up on the keybed, which I like incidentally but found a little janky to master, and the lack of fx (silly, I know...) but having just picked up the NTS-1 I find myself missing it again. It would pair perfectly.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search