The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Arturia Microfreak Experimental Hybrid Synthesizer
Old 13th October 2019
Gear Addict

I read somewhere that the sound of the MicroFreak is not very punchy in the mix ? Do the users think so ?
Thx
Old 13th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sextuor View Post
I read somewhere that the sound of the MicroFreak is not very punchy in the mix ? Do the users think so ?
Thx
Haven't explored that side of it much but I tend to agree. For me it's a pads and textures machine.
Old 13th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sextuor View Post
Thx
What it can do and what it effortlessly do is really the difference. It is very easy to come up with a quick pad on it, but I have been surprised at the cool basses that I've been doing. Some which are very punchy.

If you check the track (youtube link) that I posted a couple of pages ago, you can here multiple MF presets in kind of a synth pop track. Jpro600k has done a number of different sounding tracks with it as well.

No problems getting to sound punchy here. If fact, I almost always record with my Stingray (bass) and hardly use synth bass, but it worked so well in this track that I kept the synth bass and didn't even touch the bass guitar.
Old 14th October 2019
Lives for gear

New Track
very punchy basses in the mix
I don't feel there is a problem.
All sounds except drums and percussion are MICROFREAK.
At the center, six bass sounds are switched in order.
I like the mysterious sound placed on the right side.
I also like the bass sound on the left.

If you want to increase the bass effect, you may want to lower the volume of other timbres and Keep other sounds away.By adjusting the volume balance of the tone, you can make it stand out.I think that how to get involved with the bass drum is also important.

Not used on this track,I think the acid base of the base template is very punchy.
There may be sub-oscillator influence.
Old 14th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthient Sound View Post
Sounds great...I like the atmospheric vibe of this track.
Thank you so much.
Old 17th October 2019
Lives for gear

Does anyone use a microfreak with an MPC Live (or X or Force)? I cannot for the life of me work out how to make it receive patch changes. I'm sending program changes and bank changes from the MPC with ziltch changing on the freak. Any suggestions?
Old 17th October 2019
Lives for gear

OMFG I did the firmware update and it now receives program changes.

That facepalm is for me not doing a firmware update, but it's also for Arturia for shipping with firmware that doesn't receive program changes. If anyone else is having this issue, make sure you upgrade your firmware.
Old 17th October 2019
Here for the gear

Freak as controller for iOS synths

I tested out using my MicroFreak together with some iOS synths. I tried it on the Moog Model D and Animoog. For some reason, notes need to be pressed twice to change pitch. I noticed this only seems to be a problem when pressing with the tip of my finger. If I use more of my finger in the PCB keyboard (for modulation on Animoog for instance) then it seems to work ok. I've tried to find a setting both on the Freak and in the apps themselves that would change this behavior but no luck. Anyone have any ideas why this is? Could any of you try to reproduce it and let me know if you understand what's going on? Thanks in advance
Old 19th October 2019
Lives for gear

New Track
All sounds except drums and percussion are MICROFREAK.
Old 19th October 2019
Lives for gear
I've had the Microfreak for a little while but only recently started to explore the various oscillators. I must say that anyone who doesn't spend a number of hours digging into this engine does themselves a disservice. It's the only way to begin to "get" this machine. Also, get the Plaits manual and read the description of the Plaits oscillators that are included in the MF. That adds more detail to help understand these various modes.

https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/plaits/manual/

Speaking of which, in reading the docs I had assumed that the "Chords" synth limited the number of user notes to keep to the limit of 4. That surprisingly doesn't seem to be the case. For instance if I put it into Octave mode and dial in some Solina string machine voice, I can press 4 notes and it certainly seems that the MF is generating 4 voices and their octave voices. Anybody else notice this?

From the MF manual...

"Paraphony deactivates in this mode; the last key pressed is the root note, and only one
chord can be playing."

Paraphonic mode is not disabled when I use the Chords oscillator. Seems like I can get up to 16 notes by holding 4 "keys". Doesn't sound good of course.
Old 19th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco1975 View Post
I tested out using my MicroFreak together with some iOS synths. I tried it on the Moog Model D and Animoog. For some reason, notes need to be pressed twice to change pitch. I noticed this only seems to be a problem when pressing with the tip of my finger. If I use more of my finger in the PCB keyboard (for modulation on Animoog for instance) then it seems to work ok. I've tried to find a setting both on the Freak and in the apps themselves that would change this behavior but no luck. Anyone have any ideas why this is? Could any of you try to reproduce it and let me know if you understand what's going on? Thanks in advance
I’m controlling it with MIDI (mini jack) and it works fine. Maybe it’s something about your iOS midi.
Old 19th October 2019
Lives for gear

darkness space odyssey

darkness space odyssey
All sounds except bass drums are MICROFREAK.
Created with the image of a soundtrack like a science fiction movie.
The first BASS sound(Mix 6 tracks) uses the Arp function and spice and dice and slider.
Old 20th October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I’m controlling it with MIDI (mini jack) and it works fine. Maybe it’s something about your iOS midi.
Ok, possibly. I'm still on 12.x.x so that could be an issue. Sorry if it's a noob question, but how are you getting midi from the outputs on the Freak into iOS?
Old 20th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco1975 View Post
Ok, possibly. I'm still on 12.x.x so that could be an issue. Sorry if it's a noob question, but how are you getting midi from the outputs on the Freak into iOS?
I’m not. I use my iPad Pro to run Lemur to control various softsynths and effects. I’m using MIDI from a GEM S2 (big old ROMpler with polypressure) to control the MicroFreak. The GEM goes into a MOTU Microexpress interface and gets routed by Bitwig back out and into the MicroFreak.
Old 21st October 2019
Lives for gear

Mood

Added new track
Instruments:Arturia MicroFreak,Moog SUB SEQUENT 37 CV

I feel like I'm listening to people singing in the distance. why?
Mysterious tracks
Even if it was an illusion, it was a truly strange experience.
Old 22nd October 2019
Lives for gear

damn dude, cool tracks!
Old 26th October 2019
Lives for gear

New Track
Meditation Air
Instruments:Arturia MicroFreak

beautiful metallic sound
warm pad sound
classical arpeggiator sound
Old 27th October 2019
Lives for gear

New Track
Meditation Green
The soft horn sound and the delicate bell sound are the points.
Instruments: Arturia MicroFreak

I felt the depth of the instruments Arturia MicroFreak that can express sounds that reach a very impressive heart.
Old 2nd November 2019
Lives for gear

New Track
Change Meditation Type

Using Type: Chord
for organ sounds
Old 2nd November 2019
Lives for gear
Has anybody figured out the highest speed of the Cycling Envelope? The LFO goes to 100Hz, but the Cycling Envelope goes WAAAY beyond that allowing for all kinds of crazy Filter FM, normal FM, AM, and other bizarre high speed modulations.

I wish Arturia included a special double-SHIFT mode that would give finer control over the Rise and Fall time of the Cycling Envelope. As those times get shorter and shorter it is hard to control the frequency. Nevertheless, it's a really cool feature.

Everytime I sit down with this little box I am more amazed at what's under the hood.
Old 2nd November 2019
Lives for gear
You can actually achieve more complex (3-OP sort of) FM by using the Cycling Envelope in FM mode to modulate the pitch and then scaling Rise/Fall or both using the keyboard. Really wacky stuff to be heard this way. Controlling the Cycling Envelope operator isn't easy but there's certainly a lot of territory to be explored.

You control this third operator through a combination of modulation matrix amount, Rise, Fall and CycEnv Amount. Scaling these last three across the keyboard should make it possible to get some 3-Op results that are more musical.

The presets don't give a clue as to what this thing can do. Dig in deep people!
Old 2nd November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpro600k View Post

All sound are MicroFreak.

Using Hold button for this track.
This function is very nice .

KarplusStr is great sound.Contrasting soft warm sound and compatibility.

The two units were connected via MIDI, the SUB SEQUENT37
octave on the sending side was raised two octaves, and the MicroFreak expanded the cover by lowering the octave.
I thought it was very good to cover several key ranges.
what are you using for reverb mate?
Old 2nd November 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:

New Track
Change Meditation Type

Using Type: Chord
for organ sounds
Stop that... you're going to make me buy a Microfreak.

Are the factory presets less than stellar? I watched loopop's video where he played through the presets and wasn't all that impressed with the sound, then I hear Jpro600k's tracks and I'm like dang... I love the sound. Especially that bell patch.

And I have to ask, what are you using for effects?
Old 3rd November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwaxxy View Post
what are you using for reverb mate?
Hi,djwaxxy

It is t.c.

and

https://www.thomann.de/gb/nomad_fact...b_drv_2080.htm
Old 3rd November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post

Are the factory presets less than stellar? I watched loopop's video where he played through the presets and wasn't all that impressed with the sound, then I hear Jpro600k's tracks and I'm like dang... I love the sound. Especially that bell patch.

Hi,kpatz

Select Type:Harmo
for bell sound.
This type is a very nice sound source.
I like it because it sounds very delicate.

Flanger has a very good effect.

All of the sounds on my track are now original presets.
Old 3rd November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Added new track
Instruments:Arturia MicroFreak,Moog SUB SEQUENT 37 CV

I feel like I'm listening to people singing in the distance. why?
Mysterious tracks
Even if it was an illusion, it was a truly strange experience.
Very nice demos of micro freak you’ve provided made me finally order one and it should be interesting using it as a poly after touch slider controller for hydrasynth desktop when my preorder arrives.

Truly awesome demos. Thanks. I also own three DSI Evolvers in a polychained array w MEK, so I love hybrids on freaky side.
Old 3rd November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
Very nice demos of micro freak you’ve provided made me finally order one and it should be interesting using it as a poly after touch slider controller for hydrasynth desktop when my preorder arrives.

Truly awesome demos. Thanks. I also own three DSI Evolvers in a polychained array w MEK, so I love hybrids on freaky side.
Hi,namnibor

What kind of sound will it be? I'm really looking forward to it.
Thank you.
Old 3rd November 2019
Lives for gear

Why is the lower limit 30bpm? Will it not be more slower?
Old 3rd November 2019
Lives for gear
Custom Mod Assignments

I came across a note on page 31 of the manual.

"A nifty alternative lets you assign all destinations in a column simultaneously:
• hold one of the Assign buttons (Assign 1-3)
• move the knob you want to assign
All points in the Matrix column you selected are now assigned to the knob you moved. You
can now proceed to set amounts for each of the sources in this column."

I thought that once you assigned one of the 3 assignable mod destinations it was set for all mod sources. This "nifty" truck above seems to indicate that you aren't normally assigning all destinations in a column at the same time. It would be completely awesome to have 3 unique assignable destinations per source but I don't think that's the case. Anytime I assign one of the assignable destinations that is what it is assigned to in each source row.

Anybody have an idea of what they are trying to say here? It just seems that statement is the ONLY way that assignment works meaning there's nothing "nifty" about that method.
Old 3rd November 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post

I think the included presets are pretty lame, but their easily replaceable, including the factory patches.
📝 Reply